Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-19-2009, 12:25 PM   #1

2000 25' Excella
Statesboro , Georgia
Route planning - Atlanta to Yellowstone

We're new Airstreamers with a 25' 2000 Excella planning a trip to Mt. Rushmore, Yellowstone and Jackson, WY beginning around Aug. 5. Has anyone made this trip from Georgia or Florida? If so, any ideas on the best route. Also, are we starting too late, considering the weather "up north?"
cbkeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 05:05 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Hampton , New Hampshire
A hearty welcome from Marietta, and welcome to the world of Airstreamin'! There are a bunch of us here in the southeast - you can find a group of us if you search out the thread with Falluminum or Springstream.

I will start by saying I have no specific experience re your route - jealous. The first question I would ask is how much time do you have? My single contribution would be, if you have the time, is to take a route that avoids the highways. Several years ago we traveled from Atlanta to Death Valley and we avoided, as much as was reasonable, the highways in favor of excellent two lane roads. Spectacular.
2019 Airstream Classic 30RBT, 2021 Ford F350 King Ranch 4X4 w/6.7L Diesel, Hensley, ACI #1313

travelwiththeslowskys.com
nilesrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 06:51 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Redmond , Oregon
Welcome to the forum!

I just returned two weeks ago from a 4700 mile 'tour' of Idaho, Wyoming and Montana. Doing my absolute best to stay off of the beaten path. I really like alpine environments and any road that does not have more than one lane in each direction. I camped in USFS and BLM campgrounds and did not do any camping with services. If you wish, I could give you some information on what I saw and discovered along my path.

A readers digest version is, now I have to think on doing this from the East side. We did not see Rushmore, but did Devils Tower NM, Big Horn Mountains, a short jaunt into Montana inorder to drive the Bear Tooth Hwy and show my daughter a 10900' mountain pass, Yellowstone NP, Grand Teton NP, Jackson WY. We had crossed from Idaho to Wyoming at Alpine WY, at the head of Palisades Reservoir.

I think August would be fine to take a Northern route, of course keeping an eye on the weather. I often camp high until November, of course often getting snowed on.

Any help I can be just let me know, and again, welcome to the forum and to Airstreams!

'82 K20 Suburban 4spd
BMW K100RS, KTM 620SC
K7KIT
AIR #251
igor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 01:24 PM   #4

Currently Looking...
Ocklawaha , Florida
There is a great road to take from Georgia all the way to Amarillo Texas. it is route 84. The great point of taking this road is few semis and no billboards. It goes just north of Dallas so you miss that headache. this route #84 is probably 35-40 % 4 lane divided highway. Traffic is not a problem. You go through little towns and can stop at mom and pop resturants instead of fast food places. Once in Amarillo it is a short jaunt through New Mexico and then into Colorado where your western adventure will begin. Lots of Pronghorn sheep outside of Amarillo headed into New Mexico.
Glennp6725@a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 01:27 PM   #5

Currently Looking...
Ocklawaha , Florida
Also I might mention that Bill Cody museum in Cody Wyoming is something to see. It has the largest collection of western fire arms and a great art museum and gift store.
Glennp6725@a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 01:37 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
I agree with the effort to avoid the interstate. We did a similar loop last year from Mississippi, taking I-20 to Lousiana then jumped up to hwy84 and over to Amarillo. A small streach of I-40/RT 66 over to Santa Fe then the state hwys all the way thru the plains of CO and into WY.
From Yellowstone to Mississippi we almost completely avoided the interstate until we hit Monroe Lousiana.
The western roads are nothing like we are used to in the south, few stops, straight and its possible to make pretty good time.

We plan on doing it again next year!
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 03:24 PM   #7
Incorrigible

1976 Argosy 24
-- , Georgia
How long (timewise) of a trip are you planning?

1976 24' Argosy
1973 International Harvester Travelette 1210 4x4 'Bernard' 164" WB
1997 Georgie Boy 30' SuperDuty v10
Ike T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 11:35 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
Fairburn , Georgia
I have made the trip many times --- Atlanta to Nashville, Paducah,KY, StLouis, Kansas City, Lincoln, NE, Ogallala, NE. At Ogallala take hwy 26 to hwy 385. That takes you to Hot Springs, SD and from there to the Black Hills. Interstate 90 takes you past Devils Tower and on into Wyoming. From Cody, WY to the east entrance of Yellowstone is about 50 miles, and Sylvan pass is a steep climb, but not impossible. Out the south entrance toward Jackson is easy. Altanta to Cody in an auto takes 3 days, on a motorcycle 5 days, and at the speed I tow the Airstream, about 5 days.

Once past Kansas City the traffic isn't so bad and the roads (interstates) are better. Going through Texas is the long way, unless you know friends there.
JackMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 11:43 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
Fairburn , Georgia
Has anyone stayed in the Desert View campground at Grand Canyon NP? It is dry camping with one or two water stations. Any positives (view or the like), any negatives?
JackMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 06:14 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1992 34' Excella
Austin , Texas
If you don't mind going a little bit off your route, Flaming Gorge Reservoir in Utah/Wyoming is one of my all time favorite places to visit. There's lots of campgrounds around the lake and the scenery is breathtaking plus it's not as congested as Yellowstone.
"Rancho Deluxe"
Crusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 06:32 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Oxford, , Mississippi
After leaving the Rapid City area, going west on I90, you can go to Sheridan WY. The Custer Battlefield is north of Sheridan a little way and if you are a history buff it is well worth the time to drive up and visit. I've been twice and am moved every time I go there. From Sheridan, the road across the Big Horn Mountains is steep, but very beautiful. I have never pulled a trailer over the so can't offer advise there. The Pryor Mountain Wild Mustang preserve is close to Lovell, on the way from Sheridan to Cody (Pryor Mustangs : Hours & Location : Lovell, Wyoming), really interestingl to see the wild horses. Finally, I"ll second the motion on the Buffalo Bill Museum in Cody. It is wonderful. That is alway a must stop for us when we are in the west.

Around the Yellowstone area, I like West Yellowstone when staying on the north side of the park and the Colter Bay area on Lake Jackson on the south. Jackson Hole is too busy and too much traffic for my liking.

Have a good trip.
68 TWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 06:50 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB International
Peachtree city , Georgia
Best coolest route Atlanta to west coast? 80,70,90 I did 40 and was hot@@ help!

Leaving tomorrow from Tupelo Miss. Did 40 before very warm route. Any suggestions on interstates 80,70,90??
25 foot airstream with tundra v8.
muffinsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 08:44 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Yes, I went from Tampa to Mt. Rushmore.
I like to get there, so I'm hitting the super slab. Many will disagree, but?
From Atlanta to Chattanooga, I-75, Then through Nashville to Paducah on I-24. I went right through Nashville, I didn't find a good bypass.
Continue into Illinois on I-57 to I-64 and head to St. Louis. There's a good bypass I-255N to I-270. Resist the urge to take the exit "to I-70 west" as it will take you right back to downtown, DOH!
In KC, I-435N to I-29N.
In Sioux Falls, SD, I-90W to Wyoming.
OR, In Omaha, take I-80W if you want to see Flaming George. It is spectacular, especially if you like boondocking.
I wish I'd have spent more time in Wyoming, I might go back this summer.
Devil's tower, Cody, and other scenic stops. I did love Jackson. You must see the "Museum of Western Art" while in Jackson, and I'm not a museum type.
Warning: People from the east get spoiled by many gas stations. When in Wyoming, if the tank gets to 1/2, stop and fill up! It can be 65 miles between exits, as I learned.

Once you're in Wyoming, you'll pick your way on state highways, and I recall they were pretty nice, no white knuckle passes like Colorado.

If you decide on the northern route, through Mt. Rushmore, don't miss Casper State Park, just south of it. A hidden gem. Great food in the lodges, take the loop road to see wildlife. Don't tow the trailer through the park because you might get trapped in the tiny tunnels and pig tail bridges!

I regretted going to Yellowstone in August. Jam Packed!!!! Never again.
Mollysdad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 06:40 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB International
Peachtree city , Georgia
i80 west instead of i90???

Was thinking g if take I g i80 west to west coast have been to Yellowstone. Want to do snake river. Road conditions??
muffinsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 08:06 PM   #15

2018 25' Flying Cloud
asheville , North Carolina
Out West

Been on a trip from NC to Mamouth NP, Rocky Mountains NP. Grand Teton NP, Yellowstone NP, Glacier NP and Little Big Horn so far and heading for Bad Lands NP, Rushmore and other points. Be aware that road construction is be a bear during summer travel out here! Eastern side of Glacier is a mess. Working our way back east with Rushmore and other points hopeful on schedule.
Larrymacrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 09:44 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Jacksonville , Florida
Our Yellowstone kayak guides say that Sept-Oct in Jackson Hole is magical when the elk are trying to whistle up a date. I prefer Sept over August. Less crowds in Sept.
Overstreet is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
georgia, route, winter, yellowstone, jackson rancheria