Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-15-2016, 12:30 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

texas , Texas
Route out of Lakewood, N.J.

Any suggestions of the best, lowest traffic route west out of Lakewood, N.J.? Thinking about purchasing from Colonial Airstream and looking at the map, it appears there are many, busy interstates in that area and would prefer a good more rural, or at least less traveled highway. Don't mind going miles out of the way but would like to avoid as much heavy traffic as possible. Would eventually head back to Texas. Anyone who has traveled that area with an RV that has info, please chime in. Very familiar with the traffic and road situation south on 95 through Baltimore/DC and would want to avoid that. Don't mind I-81 south through Virginia but getting there is unknown to me.
Old 05-15-2016, 01:31 PM   #2
Sbb
begorragirl

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Denville , New Jersey
We just drove from Lexington, KY to northern NJ yesterday, over 700 miles. We were plesently surprised by lack of traffice, there were hills, nothing too big,, and very little, one small area of construction going on. Here us hiw we went home.

Lexington to Cinn to Pittsburgh on 70 to 76 thru PA to 81 to 78. Now if we were going to Colonial I would have then stayed in 78 to Garden State Parkway to their exit, 99 I think. My husband commented he felt it was enjoyable ride. He id all driving except last 100 feet. That is my job! He can't back up, and I can!

A good gos will map this, and it can take you on the next level of roads.
2001 Teardrop, Mountain Hardware Tent
For some perfection takes a little longer...
Sbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 01:40 PM   #3
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
You might just want to call them up, as this is likely a frequently asked question. It's a lovely area, and not all roads there are super-busy, depending on the time of day. I bet Patrick and his colleagues there know all the secrets.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 02:12 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

texas , Texas
Thanks to both of you. I have found the Patrick is the standard all other Airstream dealers should aspire to be.
Old 05-15-2016, 02:39 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Going back to Texas with some free time, I would suggest heading south from Colonial to Cape May NJ, taking the ferry to Lewes MD, then going south on The Eastern Shore to the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel to Norfolk and Virginia Beach VA. This is a relatively low key route which is a bit slower sometimes, but misses all major traffic problems. From Norfolk you can go west on 58 to I-85 south to Durham NC where you pick up I-40 westbound. There are a number of options from there of course to get to Texas.

I have taken this route a number of times with and without our 25' AS back in the 90's. The scenery is gorgeous, and the pace slower. Patrick will be able to comment on this route and others as well, as everyone recognizes.

There are earlier threads about driving from NY to FL which go over more details of parts of this route, for instance:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f42/...fl-144724.html
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f42/...se-150168.html
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f42/...se-150168.html
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f48/i-95-or-125786.html

Have fun!

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 02:47 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

texas , Texas
Thanks, thought about going south along the coast.
Old 05-15-2016, 07:14 PM   #7
Sbb
begorragirl

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Denville , New Jersey
For my information,..can I pull Airstream bay bridge tunnel? In Ny York you can, but PA Turnpike you can. Never towed that way before, would like to.
2001 Teardrop, Mountain Hardware Tent
For some perfection takes a little longer...
Sbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 03:08 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sbb View Post
For my information,..can I pull Airstream bay bridge tunnel? In Ny York you can, but PA Turnpike you can. Never towed that way before, would like to.
Yes, but you have to turn off the propane manually at the tanks. There are opportunities to do this before you get to the actual crossing but planning ahead simplifies things.

The following link was found by searching the Internet for "Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel propane off" --

http://www.cbbt.com/travel-informati...s-regulations/

This is a highly recommended route!

PS -- Regarding the other locations, propane is forbidden in all NYC tunnels IMO, and also in the Baltimore tunnels. On most bridges, propane may only be carried on the upper deck. [George Washington, Verrazano, etc.] On ferry boats you also have to turn off the propane tanks before you board the vessel.

PS2 -- Sbb, have you ever been to the coast of Connemara? This route has similar light and salt water everywhere, although no rocky terrain nor sheep on the mountainsides. Still spellbinding . . .
Old 05-16-2016, 03:16 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoWhereTowed View Post
Thanks, thought about going south along the coast.
One aspect I forgot to mention is that -- at the south end of the CBBT, when you arrive in Norfolk/Virginia Beach proper, right after the toll plaza -- you are immediately in an urban environment, and must make route choices fairly quickly. The signage is OK, but after the mesmerizing drive down the DelMarVa Peninsula, with amazing ocean and bay coastal views, it is a real "wake up call" as you re-enter civilization.

Route 58 westbound is well-marked, but it is helpful to know exactly which moves you want to make, well before you get there, when towing . . .

Let The Summer Games begin!

PS -- FYI the CBBT site: http://www.cbbt.com/
Old 05-16-2016, 04:15 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sbb View Post
We just drove from Lexington, KY to northern NJ yesterday, over 700 miles. We were plesently surprised by lack of traffice, there were hills, nothing too big,, and very little, one small area of construction going on. Here us hiw we went home.
Yes, but you also went on a Sunday if the date in your message is right. One of the reasons Bergen County closes everything on Sunday is to reduce traffic. Now, Colonial is much further south, but the 18 months I lived in NJ I noticed a huge difference in traffic weekdays vs. weekends.

-Wayne
wbrisett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 07:09 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

texas , Texas
Great thoughts and helpful info here, thanks.
Old 05-16-2016, 08:26 AM   #12
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Question

Might a good source for traffic info be Patrick @ Colonial?

Bob
Old 05-16-2016, 08:28 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
As suggested in a number of earlier posts . . .
Old 05-16-2016, 10:12 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2005 31' Classic
Castalain Springs , Tennessee
Our route

We are from Nashville, Tn and travel yearly to visit family in Manchester Twp NJ, which borders Lakewood. This is our route. From Colonial in Lakewood get directions to Interstate 195. Take I 195 west to the NJ turnpike; south on the NJ tpk to the Pa tpk; west on Pa tpk to Carlisle, Pa where you pick up I 81 south. We always stop in Lancaster Pa, which is Amish country, for a couple of days which is before Carlisle. The traffic is not bad as long as you avoid rush hour. I195 is not busy, you are only on the NJ tpk for about 10 miles and also is not busy, and the Pa tpk is only slightly busy as it skirts Philadelphia. NJ tpk and Pa tpk are toll roads. Hope this helps.
GreggH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 12:18 PM   #15
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Hey there GO. We live in Central NJ about an hour's drive from Colonial and I use Route 81 for our north / south travels all the time. Anything to avoid DC & Baltimore with the trailer. Colonial is on US Rt. 9 ( I think). Easy drive north on Rt. 9 and it will bring you to Rts 440 / 287 ( same road ) take 287N to Rt. 78W. Rt. 78 will cross into Penna. and take you right on to 81. Relatively easy ride. Traffic can be heavy until you get out of the metro area. Use extra care on the stretch of 78 W of Allentown, Pa. Road is narrow through that area and lots of truck traffic. We use it all the time so I'm just adding that as a road to be extra careful on. Plan a stop at Cabelas in Hamburg, Pa. If you've never been you won't be sorry you stopped. I think you can even stay overnight in their lot ( be sure and confirm that one) we have never stayed there ourselves. Plan your trip to be between rush hours and you should be just fine. If you have any questions about the route don't hesitate to PM me.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 12:33 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

texas , Texas
Roger, thank you so very much. It was nice to have the details and looking on a map, I think that would work. One never knows in an area about the traffic. I would certainly plan to go during non rush hour where ever I was. The stop at Cabalas would be fun. I try to stop at all of them when I pass. I have made the trip from northern Virginia on 81 many times. Will work my way south to I-20. I try to avoid I-40 anywhere in the U>S> even when going into New Mexico. If you ever need suggestions down in this area of the country, please let me know. I do appreciate your taking the time to help me.
Old 05-16-2016, 12:34 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

texas , Texas
By the way, thank you for your service to our country.
Old 05-16-2016, 12:41 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

texas , Texas
Thanks Greg
Old 05-16-2016, 01:11 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
Not sure it applies to you however Colonial will deliever. Not sure of the cost.
urnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 01:17 PM   #20
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Thanks Greg and you are welcome. What part of Tx are you in ??? Just last Oct. we passed through southern TX and stopped a few days at Big Bend then San Antonio on the way east. Texas sure is BIG. It just went on and on and on ....... thought it would never end. Now, if you do go my route and want a special treat, there is an exit off
Rt. 78 just west of Allentown for the very small berg of Krumsville, Pa ( Exit 40 ). Just off the exit is a really nice butcher shop, Dietrichs. Lots of good stuff there in the Pennsylvania Dutch style of meat prep. If time allows you won't be sorry you stopped. Try the sweet Lebanon Bologna. ( Lots of stuff to sample too).

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote