Old 05-16-2016, 01:18 PM   #15
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Hey there GO. We live in Central NJ about an hour's drive from Colonial and I use Route 81 for our north / south travels all the time. Anything to avoid DC & Baltimore with the trailer. Colonial is on US Rt. 9 ( I think). Easy drive north on Rt. 9 and it will bring you to Rts 440 / 287 ( same road ) take 287N to Rt. 78W. Rt. 78 will cross into Penna. and take you right on to 81. Relatively easy ride. Traffic can be heavy until you get out of the metro area. Use extra care on the stretch of 78 W of Allentown, Pa. Road is narrow through that area and lots of truck traffic. We use it all the time so I'm just adding that as a road to be extra careful on. Plan a stop at Cabelas in Hamburg, Pa. If you've never been you won't be sorry you stopped. I think you can even stay overnight in their lot ( be sure and confirm that one) we have never stayed there ourselves. Plan your trip to be between rush hours and you should be just fine. If you have any questions about the route don't hesitate to PM me.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 01:33 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

texas , Texas
Roger, thank you so very much. It was nice to have the details and looking on a map, I think that would work. One never knows in an area about the traffic. I would certainly plan to go during non rush hour where ever I was. The stop at Cabalas would be fun. I try to stop at all of them when I pass. I have made the trip from northern Virginia on 81 many times. Will work my way south to I-20. I try to avoid I-40 anywhere in the U>S> even when going into New Mexico. If you ever need suggestions down in this area of the country, please let me know. I do appreciate your taking the time to help me.

Old 05-16-2016, 01:34 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

texas , Texas
By the way, thank you for your service to our country.
Old 05-16-2016, 01:41 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

texas , Texas
Thanks Greg
Old 05-16-2016, 02:11 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
Not sure it applies to you however Colonial will deliever. Not sure of the cost.
Old 05-16-2016, 02:17 PM   #20
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Thanks Greg and you are welcome. What part of Tx are you in ??? Just last Oct. we passed through southern TX and stopped a few days at Big Bend then San Antonio on the way east. Texas sure is BIG. It just went on and on and on ....... thought it would never end. Now, if you do go my route and want a special treat, there is an exit off
Rt. 78 just west of Allentown for the very small berg of Krumsville, Pa ( Exit 40 ). Just off the exit is a really nice butcher shop, Dietrichs. Lots of good stuff there in the Pennsylvania Dutch style of meat prep. If time allows you won't be sorry you stopped. Try the sweet Lebanon Bologna. ( Lots of stuff to sample too).

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 06:22 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vero Beach , Florida
We purchased at Colonial. As others said, they will help you with route. Having lived in th DC area for 18 years I will say that what time of day you drive anywhere between Boston and Richmond is as important as selecting the right route. We stayed near Colonial the night before to get a morning orientation and pickup (we did the purchase by mail and wire transfer before heading there) so we could have our first drive at midday, not evening rush. I strongly recommend that.

We went to Cunningham Falls State Park in Maryland our first night. If you use google maps it will show you the route we took (we used the shortest/fastest option). No damage to the trailer or the driver's seat with that route despite the first trip jitters.

I would avoid the DC and Baltimore Beltways at any time of day by either taking I81 (there are great parks out that way) or the coastal route others have suggested. Assateague national seashore in Maryland, the outer banks of NC, all worth a trip if you follow the coast. The bridge/tunnel is a hoot and First Landing State Park VA is near the Norfolk end of the bridge.

I'd give colonial high marks. If you do buy from them have a great trip in your new airstream!
Old 05-16-2016, 07:06 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

texas , Texas
Thanks much, I lived in the DC area for 20 years and will avoid nearing there. Once you get west, it will work ok. I appreciate all the help. Do not want to get any closer to the congested areas than necessary. Will check out your route Gamma Dog
Old 05-16-2016, 08:17 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member

2003 31' Classic
Terra Alta , West Virginia
81 south to 70 and 68 west is pleasant and rural. Then 79 south to either 64 w or continue south on 19 and 77. At least 78 west gets you out of conjestion sooner then there are easier choices. Drove 18 wheeler for a few years and was always anxious to go west after eastern traffic.
Old 05-16-2016, 09:45 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
One aspect I forgot to mention is that -- at the south end of the CBBT, when you arrive in Norfolk/Virginia Beach proper, right after the toll plaza -- you are immediately in an urban environment, and must make route choices fairly quickly. The signage is OK, but after the mesmerizing drive down the DelMarVa Peninsula, with amazing ocean and bay coastal views, it is a real "wake up call" as you re-enter civilization.

Route 58 westbound is well-marked, but it is helpful to know exactly which moves you want to make, well before you get there, when towing . . .

Let The Summer Games begin!

PS -- FYI the CBBT site: http://www.cbbt.com/
First - before crossing the CBBT, stop and turn off your tanks AND if you have pull out mirrors push IN the right hand side one (the tunnel ate my mirror once) You can pull off at the end and pull it out again.

TOO TRUE about the signs!!!! And as someone who's lived in VA Beach for decades - trust me there are two good choices once you get off the CBBT. One STAY on Northampton Blvd which is the terminus of the south end of the tunnel and go about 5 miles until you see a major overpass for ROUTE 64, it splits into right (west) and a looping left flyover EAST. Go EAST and hang on for a long long long time until you see the sign for 58 WEST. (Route 64 east actually loops around like a fishhook and ends up pointing WEST. It has the most confusing exits of any road in the area. It's probably worth a google earth tour to even try to understand.

The other is get off of Northhampton blvd at the first exit and go EAST on SHORE DRIVE to First Landing State park. Stay a day or two and see the Atlantic Ocean (make reservations in advance there aren't a lot of spots.) When you leave retrace Shore Drive back to Northampton Blvd (left exit at a light.) then follow prior path.

You CAN go 64 WEST which takes you northwest by Colonial Williamsburg which is great if you're a history buff. Try the peanut soup at one of the colonial inns - sounds gross but isn't. THEN if you have the sense God gave the average duck, take the James River Ferry south across the James and get the hell away from the Interestates. You can go straight south to 58 from there. It's free but it's a small ferry so don't take it during morning rush or evening rush because it will fill up. Mid day is good.
If you elect to stay on 64 west, you'll hit Richmond where you can pray for death after taking I-95 South - or pray for death while taking the beltway around Richmond to catch 64 W again and continue west towards Charlottesville and the mountains. I-64 is rural west of the beltway. The Blue Ridge Parkway or the Skyline Drive are wonderful and will have you humming John Denver tunes for weeks. Take the BRP and just off it a few miles there is an Airstream only park north of Floyd called Virginia Highland Haven that's wonderful.
Old 05-17-2016, 07:53 AM   #25
3 Rivet Member

texas , Texas
Thanks everyone!
Old 05-17-2016, 02:58 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
Save time and money...buy from Foley RV in Gulfport, Ms. We did and saved $$$ over the NJ guys.
Old 05-17-2016, 03:07 PM   #27
3 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrprez View Post
Save time and money...buy from Foley RV in Gulfport, Ms. We did and saved $$$ over the NJ guys.

I did the same. Foley is fabulous.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 05-17-2016, 04:26 PM   #28
3 Rivet Member

texas , Texas
I will be checking with Foley as well. Were you pleased with the knowledge they had of AS systems?