Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-31-2015, 04:09 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1997 34' Limited
Lecanto , Florida
Route Options from Central Fla to Colorado Springs

We are two weeks from heading out to Colorado Springs from the Ocala, Florida area. Map Quest Etc.. give lots of options but I am looking for some input from Forum members. Thanks in advance.
K-9Airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 04:41 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Lake Placid , Florida
I am interested as well - so tagging on!!

Laura & Tom
Old 09-01-2015, 04:21 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB International
Waynesville , North Carolina
It may depend on how much time you have to get there. Last year, we pulled our '77 Tradewind from Ft Myers, FL to Denver in one week. Our stops included Reed Bingham State Park, GA; Indian Creek Campground, NC (because we had family to visit there); Edgar Evans State Pk, TN; Wayne Fitzgerald SP, IL; Milford SP, KS; a non-camping stop w/family in Kearney, NE; and, on in to Cherry Creek SP, Denver, CO. It was a grueling trip and we would have liked more than one night in most places.

Our trip back took us to Lake Trinidad SP, CO; Palo Duro SP, TX; Red Rock Canyon SP, OK; Petit Jean SP, Ark (our favorite); Lake Lowndes SP, MS; Falling Waters SP, FL (to visit friends) and on home. Again, a week long route that would have been far more enjoyable over two weeks.

We're planning another trip in 2016 that will take us more than three months to get to Denver - but a very different route.
2016 RAM 2500
FL Crackers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 04:56 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 24
Malakoff , Texas
1. Interstate 10 West.
2. Hwy.98 out of Mobile Alabama-(Headed North-West)
3. At Hattiesburg Miss., take Hwy 49 (North-West) to Jackson Miss.
4. Get onto Interstate 20 West.
5. Head North-West on Hwy. 287 out of Ft Worth Tx.
6. Interstate 40 awhile and get onto Hwy 64/87 headed N/NW out of Amarillo
7. Get onto Interstate 25 North
8. You should smell it from here....Haaa
9. Staying on good roads has many benefits..Cellphone towers and pittstops
to name a few.
10. About 400 miles per day will be a good bite.
11. Yes, I have traveled this route(Up to Amarillo).
12. Main highways and esp Interstate Highways recommended on a long trip.
Be careful as you go.
kennethowens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 08:00 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mission , Texas
I kinda like ...
I-10 west to Ft Stockton TX US285
US285 north to I-25
I-25 north to Colorado Springs
San Antonio can be exciting during rush hour.
US285 in TX is best mid-day.
nrgtrakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 08:31 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 24
Malakoff , Texas
Opinions ....

Objections to ngrtrakr's post~

Objection:
1. I10 through Mississippi and Louisiana(Rain & road conditions)
2. Three big headaches...New Orleans, Houston, San Antonio
3. Texas is very large, if you make a giant "L" through the lower
parts of Texas during the "HOT" season aint the thing ya want to
do unless you like being on yer butt two days lookin at bone dry
territory trying to get out of TEXAS. Rough country down through there.
4. Lookin at tumble-weeds and jack-rabbits for nearly 18 hours aint my idea
of fun.....relax out from behind the wheel.

Just my opinion....oh yes, if you get tempted to hop on I35 between San Antonio
and Dallas - it is all under HEAVY construction - DO NOT GO THERE
kennethowens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 08:47 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mission , Texas
I-12 bypasses New Orleans - painless.
I guess it could depend on if saving time is the idea or not ...
That route is familiar to us, possibly the shortest given start and stop points, and we usually plan for big cities between rush hours ...
I-75/I-24 northish to I-70 west to US24 to Colorado Springs slightly more scenic, much farther, more big cities.
A million ways to skin a cat.
nrgtrakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 04:12 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vero Beach , Florida
We went from central Florida to Colorado in June en route to Yellowstone.

If you goal is to get there quickly, do what Google maps says. That's 25 hours on a route using I75 and I70 across Kansas or a few miles shorter using I20 across Texas

We wanted to see parts of the South and Midwest we had never seen before, so we modified the northern route and included stops in north Florida, Auburn AL, northern Mississippi (Elvis!), Memphis, the Ozarks (Arkansas and Missouri), and straight across Kansas into Colorado. We saw what we wanted and stayed at some amazing places, many on lakes and rivers, all in state or federal parks.

So... if your goal is speed and the interstates are to your liking do what Google says. KOA can minimize time lost by keeping you close to the interstates. If your goal is to see some interesting stuff, pick some spots that sound interesting to you and your traveling companions and connect the dots.
GammaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 05:29 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

1997 34' Limited
Lecanto , Florida
Thanks for all the input. You all have given us several good options to look at.
K-9Airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 07:31 PM   #10
Jay Thompson

2009 34' Classic
Tallahassee, , Florida
More leisurely , less traffic use U.S. 84

We have made the trip several times from Tallahassee to Denver and/or Durango. We take U.S. 84 from Cario. Or Thomasville, GA to Santa Fe if we are going to Durango and if to Denver cut North about Amarillo. This route is relaxing and reasonably scenic. Very little traffic and good roads except Louisiana
jaydthompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 07:20 AM   #11
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Yes, U.S. 84, Like it.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 09:58 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2000 30' Excella
Sarasota , Florida
Don't recall as to how quickly you want to get to Colorado Springs. If you are in a hurry of course interstates are the quickest. If you are into a leisurely enjoyable trip, US 19 to I 10 Mobile, up to Hattiesburg, Ms via 4 lane no traffic, pick the state roads of your choice, they are smooth.

Avoid I 40 thru Oklahoma at all cost, probably the roughest road one can find (next to the roads in NY state). Also avoid the Indian Nation Freeway in Oklahoma. Concrete road with "rumble strips" every 100' it will beat the crap out of your equipment and teeth.

I 40 thru Arkansas is nice, Memphis is very bad all the heavy trucks have taken their toll on both side of the bridge. Take the bridge to the south or north across the Mississippi. The northern SR across Arkansas is smooth and scenic. At Kansas enter at Baxter Springs follow US 160 along the southern border for no traffic, smooth road open prairie scenery gradual hills. The scenery at Medicine Lodge becomes what is know as the Gypsum Hills area, very scenic.

I live in Sarasota, was raised in Winfield, Ks. have driven taken the trip many times from here to there and beyond to western Kansas pheasant hunting. Early trips were on interstates until I discovered it is the journey in addition to the destination that makes for memorable drives. "If you are not the lead dog, the scenery never changes." The back end of semi trailers aren't that exciting. Have been broken down on the interstate, nothing is more terrifying that big vehicles zipping by at 70 mph 18" away!

Use state maps, atlas's aren't detailed enough for the good roads.

Enjoy the trip.
GatorDave is offline   Reply With Quote