Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-19-2019, 12:39 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

Longport , New Jersey
Route advice - South Jersey to Acadia National Park

Looking for an interesting route if anyone has suggestions? Have about a week off and taking the airstream
gomotomoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 01:22 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2007 23' Safari SE
Annandale , New Jersey
Have made the trek to Kennebunkport a few times, once youre there, route to Acadia is a personal choice between 295/95 to Bangor, or up the coast from Brunswick on Rt1 (have never made the whole trip on that route, but you will see local traffic and lights). Probably best to head to Bangor on 95 and down through Ellsworth with the trailer.

From central west NJ, we take 287 north to the NY State Thurway to Rt 84 east. I can say from many years of experience, this route plans out longer in miles and time, but is usually faster due to accidents and issues on 95 in Ct. You can also head across the Tappan Zee bridge to 684 and up to 84, but I prefer the Thruway to 84 route. There is a good climb on 84 when you cross the river, but nothing extraordinary.

From there to the Mass Pike east to 495 north (I now avoid 290 through Worcester, between traffic and not so great roads).

495 to 95 North and in a blink of an eye youre in NH and another blink youre in Maine.

Only warning is traffic. So plan your trip accordingly.
Worst places (barring accidents or construction) during commuting hours are :
- Hartford
- Waterbury

- 495 in Mass
I sometimes think I would be better off driving north to Montreal, around and down vs sitting in traffic....

Weekends this time of year should be good, but I would try for off (early) hours.
Fred L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 06:14 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Similar to Fred's route, but I might be inclined to take the NYS Thruway north to Albany and get on the Mass Pike going east through the Berkshires. Longer, but you miss the risk of bad traffic/accidents on I-84 in Connecticut.

Have a great trip.

Peter

PS -- Quite a distance to go for one week IMO. Do you have campground reservations? The Maine coast can be pretty busy this time of early Fall IMO.
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 08:35 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2007 23' Safari SE
Annandale , New Jersey
Peter is correct on heading up to just shy of Albany and taking the Mass Pike east in certain situations (that was our first route on a weekday morning). That can be quite the climb to what I seem to recall is the tallest highway elevation east of the Missisppi ? though.

To me it all depends on day of the week and timing. A quick check of gmaps, to determine if there are any issues ahead works. We do a check a few miles before the Newburg exit on the Thruway.

Funny story about my navigator that I wont get into here, but suffice to say she has been fired twice now, which makes it a bit of a challenge since I end up having to pull over and check routing before making decisions.

But to preface that story..... It all started on our honeymoon many years ago driving through New Brunswick enroute to Cape Breton when I realized we were low on gas. I asked the navigator to find the closest town. Her response was that there are no towns nearby.

After passing the third exit for the town of Sortie, I pulled over and said.. please give me the map since this is clearly a big town... the last 3 exits were for Sortie.... (I knew I should have taken French instead of Spanish). We still laugh about that today.
Fred L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 09:14 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York

Reminds me of my first road trip to California, and the many exits for "Frontage Road."

Says I in my best French accent, "that guy Monsieur FronTAHJ sure got around!"

Old 09-20-2019, 10:33 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
“Watch for falling rock”

Old Boy Scouts will know the rest of that campfire story...
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 04:46 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomotomoto View Post
Looking for an interesting route if anyone has suggestions? Have about a week off and taking the airstream
Sorry for the OT detour. Are you leaving soon, as leaf-peeping traffic may affect things IMO.

Have fun,

Peter
Old 09-25-2019, 09:05 AM   #8
Trailer Sold, Waving

2019 26' Flying Cloud
Stettler , Alberta
Once you get there, highly recommend picking a campground outside Acadia and driving in to see the sights. Your Airstream will thank you. Even all the surrounding towns, particularly Ellsworth have absolutely horrible road conditions. I'm convinced the Maine state flag is the sign that says "BUMP."
WBCCI #6679
Acheron2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 03:33 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

Longport , New Jersey
Fantastic Trip, such a beautiful part of the country. Route was pretty standard and easy. Thanks everyone for chiming in. Maine is a stunner... we'll be back for sure.
Old 10-14-2019, 04:33 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Mainly I-95 or did you try some other route(s)?

Thanks
Old 10-15-2019, 05:29 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

Longport , New Jersey
mainly 95, which wasn't so bad. Then, once in Maine -- we ziged and zagged a bit to check out all the small towns.