Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-15-2014, 11:05 AM   #1
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
route advice, please: Spokane-Death Valley

They say men don't like to ask for directions, so this is Jeanne here.

We are planning a trip in early March, to Death Valley and Joshua Tree National Parks. We will leave from Spokane, Washington with a quick stop at Airstream of Spokane. At this time of year, anything inland from the coast and north of about St. George, Utah can experience snowstorms and icy roads. We know enough not to try to drive through bad weather, but are wondering which route would best (a) maximize warmer weather and minimize mountain passes, as they are more apt to be snowy, and (b) minimize heavy traffic on California urban freeways.

Two years ago we made the trip via I-84 east to I-15 south where it hooks up in northern Utah (I-15 via I-90 through Montana being too high, wide, and lonesome, and I-84 has only one real mountain pass.) We had a reason to go through central Utah that year, which we don't have this time, and it seems a bit out-of-the-way.

We've looked at route 95 through Nevada (too lonesome if something goes badly?,) the coastal route from Portland (slow, and how do you get over the mountains to Death Valley?), I-5, and various permutations.

I hope anyone who has done this trip or who lives in states along the way or who has better information technology than I have can help us out!

We have lots of time to make the trip-- we just prefer not to spend it hunkering down beside an icy highway somewhere, if we can help it.

Thanks in advance!
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 11:40 AM   #2
Free Range Human

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Haines , Oregon
We typically do I-5 from Portland, down to Mt Shasta, then through Susanville & Reno to Fallon. South from there. Into the park from DV Junction, as it is not as steep as coming down from Beatty.

If there is weather on the way to Reno, then done to Bakersfield, over Tahatchapee (spelling), then up to DV Junction via Shoshone, etc.

Be careful around Stockton. The freeway is in bad shape there.
Drathaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 10:06 PM   #3
Len and Jeanne

2015 19' Flying Cloud
Thank you! We'll get out the maps and trace your route.

I might add that the concern with mountain passes isn't towing the trailer (with a Tundra,) but just that in general, the high elevations tend to get more snow, and not be plowed out as carefully as the roads in and around the population centers.
Old 12-16-2014, 07:28 AM   #4
Free Range Human

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Haines , Oregon
Jeanne, just watch the weather, and be ready to either change route or plans if conditions get sloppy. Use the state DOT highway websites for highway conditions.

The route through Susanville is usually kept in very good shape.
Drathaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 10:50 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1972 29' Ambassador
Boynton Beach , Florida
While you're in Death Valley, you might want to take a (non-towing) day trip over to nearby Saline Valley. There are some fantastic wild hot springs over there. I haven't been in years, so you should probably do some research.

There are hot springs all down the 395, if that's something you're interested in.

I like Devil's Postpile, as well!
SuzyHomemakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 01:25 PM   #6
Len and Jeanne

2015 19' Flying Cloud
Good advice Suzy and Drathaar.

I love hot springs. Len does not, so our compromise is that he's OK with me soaking away for as long as I want, so long as I don't pressure him to join me.

We plan to drive north through Utah in April via the above-mentioned I-15/I-84 route (and may even chance HY 95 through Nevada, as a lot of Arizona snowbirds drive north along this route in April.) Spring snow storms are still possible in April, but decreasingly likely.

We still have some spare time to kick around in southeastern California and environs in late March, so will check out the other places that the area has to offer. We are more interested in natural settings than in urban/resort ones.
Old 12-16-2014, 01:50 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
From billings we go to idaho falls, to twin falls then down 93 to ely then 6 to tonopah, no traffic and you can stop any where...
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 07:37 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2012 16' Sport
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Seattle , Washington
Joshua Tree is Da Bomb. My favorite campgrounds ever is the Indian Cove campground which can easily accommodate your 19FC. You might want to consider it. Have fun!!!!
drftboat is offline   Reply With Quote