Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-04-2017, 06:37 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2014 22' FB Sport
South Shore , Massachusetts
Route Advice for Traveling MA to FL

We're leaving for Key West from just south of Boston soon and I ask for your advice on the best routes. I have a 22' Sport. What and where do I need to avoid? We'll be starting out on route 95 and expect this will be the route we'll mostly be on. Thanks for your help.
breton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 06:58 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Welcome to the forum, breton! Lucky you heading for Key West . . .

Having grown up in the NE, and driven all over the east coast with our 25' AS in the 90's, I would recommend avoiding I-95 south of New Haven like the plague. Not sure how much towing of a trailer you have done, but IMO a few extra miles and hours on a long trip are very cost-effective if you can avoid bad roads and traffic, tolls, and so forth.

As a general overview it makes sense IMO to go well west of the NYC-to-Washington DC corridor, as follows:

-- Get over to I-84 west as best you can. You probably know whether it makes sense to go up to the Mass Pike, take federal route 44 west to Hartford, or go down I-95 until you can cut over on 2/16/66 to the Middletown CT area.

-- Once on I-84 head west to Scranton PA [yes, this is not a typo!] and then cut down south on I-81, until you get to southern Virginia, then head south on I-77, through Charlotte NC and Columbia SC, then get back to I-95 at some point.

Does this seem like the long way around? Yes, but the route is gorgeous and much more relaxing than I-95 by a long shot. Much less traffic, accidents and so forth. Not sure about the current road conditions on all the alternatives, but hopefully you will get some good feedback here on this factor.

There are alternatives to the above [I-95 to I-287 through White Plains NY and then to the Garden State Parkway, for instance], but crazy traffic can come into the equation on this route.

South of Virginia is another chapter TBD in detail at another time. Obviously the first part of the trip will determine in part the best southern half of the trip.

Good luck, and have fun!

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 07:18 AM   #3
Full time Airstreamer

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Anywhere , USA Living.Somewhere.Yonder
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
cut down south on I-81, until you get to southern Virginia, then head south on I-77, through Charlotte NC and Columbia SC, then get back to I-95 at some point.
While 95 isn't that horrible, this is the route I would take unless there are points along 95 that you want to see, such as NYC, Philly, DC, etc.
Old 01-04-2017, 08:20 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
If you take the routes I-81 & I-77 through VA, NC, and SC keep an eye on the weather. I would recommend this route also if were not in mid winter. That route takes you through the lower part of the Appalachians and down off of the Blue Ridge at Low Gap. Normally that route is fine during winter. Though, ice and snow can change it quickly.
And, in this more westerly route it probably will be substantially colder during the night at the higher elevations. If you plan on camping along the way be prepared. It could be in the 50's F or near 0 F.

http://www.511virginia.org/
This a good way to monitor road conditions along I-81. There is a weather station on I-77 at MM1, the one I would watch closely.
Old 01-04-2017, 11:45 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Greeneville , Tennessee
I95 is the worst through SC and GA, mostly OK everywhere else. Central FL is better than I95, traffic is a bear. My $0.02.
jimfa440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 12:12 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
McDonough , Georgia
An alternative, if I-77 looks iffy, stay on I-81 south past I-77 to I-26 south - it's a newer road and not as well-known, so not as crowded. It will go directly to I-95 (it will actually go all the way to Charleston). It also has the advantage of avoiding Charlotte, which can be a traffic jam nightmare.

If using I-77, use I-485 to go around Charlotte.

We just drove the I-84/I-81/I-77 route last week, going from Mid-Hudson area back home south of Atlanta. We weren't towing our Airstream, but the driving was clear sailing all the way (except for major traffic starting north of Charlotte). For this trip. We do this route at least twice a year (family), and conditions can get hairy. Yet still better than braving I-95 through DC and NYC areas.

As said above, keep an eye on the weather and also traffic, especially conditions on I-77 - the northern portion through the mountains can get very windy and foggy. Have in the past had to wait for a tractor trailer to get towed after it got blown over. Turned off engine, ate lunch, relaxed for an hour or 2.
Kittycatcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 01:53 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Lakes Region , New Hampshire
It would depend on your ability and tolerance.

For the least stress, I would agree with OTRA15, I've done this when not towing to avoid stress, you will take a bit of hit on fuel though as it is up and down and be aware of the weather.

The last trip towing, only to DC, I did 95, this route is all about timing and breaks, I calculated to go over the George Washington by 3pm and get to the northern most rest area in Jersey, stop relax, eat and nap then leave after sixish to either pass through DC middle of the night or stay at Maryland rest area for the night and leave after morning traffic.

Just be aware that if you go 95 South, you need to go AROUND Baltimore as you aren't allowed through the 95 tunnel with propane on board (at all).
RandyNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 05:10 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
2011 22' Sport
Crestview , Florida
Not sure how I95S is now, but 1 year ago came down in my 22' Sport through SC and GA and by end of trip lost over 20 rivets inside, the refrigerator door came completely off (frig was almost empty), and the hot water pipe to the hot water heater broke off the heater. The road was like a wash-board. I do not drive over 60mph when hauling.
ByronI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 10:19 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' International
Anywhere , USA
It's interesting to read other people's opinions on the worst parts of 95. We actually did a similar trip south as you, starting from Mystic, CT (we used to live in Boston, etc.) and taking four days to get to Raleigh, NC. I wanted to avoid 95, here's what that looked like for us:

I think that long chunk of 95 through SC is pretty relaxing, especially coming from Boston BTW, we'll be in Key West in later January, maybe catch you there!
Old 01-05-2017, 07:05 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2014 22' FB Sport
South Shore , Massachusetts
FL trip

Thanks to everyone. We'll be leaving some time toward the last week in Feb. weather permitting.
breton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 07:47 AM   #11
1 Rivet Member

2004 30' Classic
Evans , Georgia
I-26 from Columbia will get you to Savannah GA not far from Jax.
jshotton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 07:57 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by breton View Post
Thanks to everyone. We'll be leaving some time toward the last week in Feb. weather permitting.
Weather permitting, the I-81 route mentioned earlier, just east of The Appalachians, would have some amazing campgrounds opening up that time of year IMO.

Have fun!

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 10:17 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
McDonough , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by jshotton View Post
I-26 from Columbia will get you to Savannah GA not far from Jax.
Not quite - For Savannah, you'd have to take I-95 south from I-26. I-26 goes over to Charleston, SC.
Kittycatcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 12:11 PM   #14
1 Rivet Member

2015 23' Flying Cloud
Plainville , Connecticut
We've made this trip many times from central Connecticut. We've tried running down I-95, but it's truly not worth the aggravation and cost. Like many others here, we now take I-84 west to Scranton, then I-81 south just past Roanoke, VA. Then, I-77 towards Charlotte to I-26 for Columbia. Run I-26 down to I-95 south. There are plenty of places to stop, ample services such as food, fuel and restrooms, much less traffic and no tolls. If you have the time, there are some interesting attractions along the route as well. Safe travels!
Scott-Andrea is offline   Reply With Quote