Old 04-18-2013, 11:43 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1999 30' Excella 1000
Nellysford , Virginia
An easy day before Palo Duro is Enchanted Trails west of Albuquerque. Camping World right next door. Antique caravans on the grounds. Worth a stop.

Greg and Linda Heuer
'99 Excella 30 w/HAHA - The Silver Otter
'08 Chevy LTZ 2500HD 6.6 DuraMax
TAC VA-18 | WBCCI 1927 - Unit 149 | AIR 53869
Silver Otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 01:07 PM   #16

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Originally Posted by alymorales View Post
I've just completed my travel plans for my long adventure home. I'll be leaving San Francisco, CA in June and will arrive in Kansas City, MO in early July. Most of my travel will be along I-40 (route 66).

My overnight camp reservations are a mix of State Parks, Private RV Resorts and a few KOAs. A few reservations I'm excited about are Bluewater State Park and Hyde Memorial in New Mexico. I'm also looking forward to Palo Duro Canyon State Park in Texas. Are there any great sites, restaurants, etc... I must see along the way?

Thanks in advance, gypsy travelers!

Thank's for the thanks'.

You may find this interesting.

AF #1

"Sticks & stones can break your bones...and hail will dent your Airstream"

So when is this..."old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 01:23 PM   #17
Site Team
1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
The La Posada Hotel in Winslow is located on old Route 66. It is a wonderful place to stop and check out one of the great hotels of its day (1920s). It also has a fantastic restaurant. We stop here every chance we get...

La Posada Hotel: Arizona's grandest estate - a National Historic Landmark
The Turquoise Room Restaurant at La Posada Hotel | Winslow, Arizona

WBCCI President 2016-2017
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 05:35 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member
2008 20' Safari
Tunnel Hill , Georgia
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
On the other hand, Amarillo— much easier to spell— has at least one must-see stop along Route 66: The Big Texan Steak Ranch, home of the free 72-oz steak. Free if you can eat it all in an hour or less, along with a baked potato and a dinner salad. If you can't finish it all in that time, you pay full price.

I tried. I failed. I got a doggie bag.

North of I-40 between the Lakeside exit and the Whittaker exit.
The Big Texan runs a shuttle to Amarillo Ranch RV Park, a nice RV park with indoor pool, hot tub and sauna.
While in Amarillo don't miss the Cadillac Ranch...

Remember its not the destination, but rather the journey.... its what's in the middle that matters the most!
Bk Yd Safari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 01:08 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member
1964 26' Overlander
1968 30' Sovereign
Vintage Kin Owner
somewhere , Tennessee
Best roadtrip ever had, rode Route 66 from calif. to oklahoma on the motorcycle. So many cool places to see. You will go by edwards air force base in the middle of the desert, Baghdad cafe like some else talked about. Got to stop and have a hamburger, fries, and a vanilla shake. The town of Amboy is an iconic stop on route 66, they were restoring the town back in 2006 when I was there. Make sure your gas tank is full whenever you see gas so you don't have to detour to interestate 40. Be careful if you see signs that say pavement ends it ENDS. You will have to drive on gravel roads for a few miles since Route 66 is no longer designated as a highway it is up to local areas to maintain it. Don't worry it is good road and even the gravel areas are maintained. Oatman arizona, the wild burros roam the streets so be careful they will walk right out in front of you and they will let you pet them. Have some apples for a treat for them. I know this is a long post but there is just so much to see and do on THE MOTHER ROAD. Don't forget winslow arizona, the cadillac ranch in texas, the teepee motel and so much more. Do lots of research before your trip and plan on taking plenty of time and enjoy the greatest road trip you will ever take.
panheaddale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 02:23 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member
Puyallup , Washington
The Bagdad cafe used to called the 'Sidewinder', my parents used to own the Little Cafe about half mile done the road, it was a A frame styled building, now someone's house. Amboy used to have a restaurant with an amazing antique gun collection.

srpuywa is offline   Reply With Quote