Old 11-26-2006, 09:55 AM   #15
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Thoroughly enjoyed your recollection on your trip out west. There was discussion here on the forums awhile ago about a Route 66 caravan. Folks would start the caravan in Chicago and travel as little or as far as they were able. Others would join in as the trip headed west. Maybe some would only be able to overnight once or twice with the caravan as their schedule permitted. Be great to pass the torch from trailer to trailer as the caravan traveled down the historic road all the way to Santa Monica.

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 10:27 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
Several years ago Claudia and I had bought a 1931 Cadillac V12 Sedan in Champaign ILL. We decided to drive home to CA along Route 66 as far as it was practical. I don't remember the particular town any more, but we had one or the many great experiences there along the way. It was July 3rd and we were driving through this small town slowly looking at all the building and people as we drove through town. About 3/4 of the way through town I looked into the rear view mirror and there was a 1932 Cadillac touring car right behind me. We waved and pulled over in an A&W just up the road to meet the people in the car. During the conversation the owner of the car said. Tomorrow is the 4th parade. Why don't you stay the night and be in the parade with us tomorrow. We stayed, had dinner, and were in the parade. Great people and a great time in the town. We have been Red Roaders ever since. The movie Cars really said it well. You don't have those type of experiences on the Inter state!
Don

Old 11-26-2006, 12:17 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
Marietta is in far South/Central Oklahoma near the Texas border. Chandler is about 25 miles Northeast of Oklahoma City on Route 66, or I-44 (Turnpike) This would be on your way if you're going to visit him.
Old 11-26-2006, 12:23 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
By the way, there are still the remains of an old rock filling station on 66 just East of Arcadia, Oklahoma. It brings back memories of my childhood traveling 66 up to Tulsa to visit relatives or out West to get to Colorado for vacation.
Old 11-26-2006, 01:14 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by balrgn
Hey, that is a cool movie, must see at least twice. So much hidden!

Is this the book??
RV Travel - Route 66
The book can be found here: http://www.amazon.com/Route-66-Trave...530585-5038825

Route 66 Trevelers Guide and Roadside Companion

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

http://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 01:15 PM   #20

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Juel, we drove right by you a couple years ago when we went to OK to see where my family had come from. We stayed with a friend of my aunt's in OKC and she took us up to Sapulpa, but we took the toll road. When we got to Sapulpa she showed us the house where my family had lived, and the place where my Grandma's diner had been. They had always referred to it as 'on the highway'. You guessed it, right on old 66.

On the way home we hopped on and off 66 through northern AZ mostly. Very cool old buildings and signs, but much like the movie, it's heartbreaking to see the stuff that is falling apart and being bypassed by the rest of the world.

I'd love to do a 66 trip, but both ends of it are far away from us, it would be a trip just to get to either end to start the tour!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 01:42 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by juel
I can see part of the Original Route 66 from my home here in Chandler, Oklahoma. Actually Oklahoma has more original miles of Route 66 than any other state. I would love for you and your wife to stop by if you decide to pick up the road here in Oklahoma. I think it's kind of a straight shot down I-35 to here. I would enjoy telling you all I know about it and showing you some parts that the books may not cover. There are places you can see where it use to go but the road has been overgrown with trees and grasses. Come on down and have some fun, but remember it's hot here in the Summer--really hot. Spring or early Summer or anytime in the Fall is great.
You know you are right. Oaklahoma does have much of the old '66' preserved. My appologies to my Oaklahoma 'Streamers'. The stories of '66' in Arizona was of the last resistance of the towns that were about to be by-passed by the new interstate US.40. Williams of course survived as the gateway to The Grand Canyon. It was my family's plan then to visit the Grand Canyon on our journey but we were behind my parents schedule and low on money with the mishaps we had to deal with on the road. 22 or 23 years ago I made it finally taking my young family. Of course The Canyon waited for me if the old '66' didn't. Another book also by Tim Steil and co-authored with Michael Karl Witzel called "Classic Roadside America" ia about 'drive-ins and roadside attractions of that era. Naturally much is of Route 66 then and today.
Neil.
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 04:34 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

1968 20' Globetrotter
Albuquerque , New Mexico
neil great story---

hendrie42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 04:49 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
Placitas , New Mexico
Here's a photo of old 66 today

bein' Blue Highway people, Bill and I like finding all the old parts of the MotherRoad here in New Mexico and every place we travel. Believe it or not, here's a stretch of the old highway east of Santa Rosa NM
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	old 66.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	39.9 KB
ID:	29058  

and
Jupiter (the Golden Retriever)
Blu_Hwy_Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 02:46 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu_Hwy_Lady
bein' Blue Highway people, Bill and I like finding all the old parts of the MotherRoad here in New Mexico and every place we travel. Believe it or not, here's a stretch of the old highway east of Santa Rosa NM
Yep, that's about how wide I remembered it. Hard to believe it was a main east-west travelers route.
Neil.
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 04:51 AM   #25
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member

1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfshr
Thoroughly enjoyed your recollection on your trip out west. There was discussion here on the forums awhile ago about a Route 66 caravan. Folks would start the caravan in Chicago and travel as little or as far as they were able. Others would join in as the trip headed west. Maybe some would only be able to overnight once or twice with the caravan as their schedule permitted. Be great to pass the torch from trailer to trailer as the caravan traveled down the historic road all the way to Santa Monica.

Brad
FF
Thought this thread should be bumped up.
Sounds like a great idea for a caravan to me. I'm in!

Michael
ArtStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 02:36 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1963 19' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Moline , Illinois
Go for it!

One year I given was given the Michael Wallis book - Route 66 The Mother Road (the best reference book on 66 -in my opinion) and that started the addiction for 66 at our house. We've manged to drive it to Santa Monica once from Illinois and did most of it two other times. What great trips scenery, people, food, and lots of history.

Did not try to follow the original road exactly (even in the old days it varied) and took some side trips such as Vegas and the Grand Canyon. In the summer it can get pretty hot along the way but that's why there are swimming pools, air conditioning, and cold beer along the way.

I've got the first two weeks off in April and I am trying to decide 66 or the Florida Keys- another of my long time travel addictions
Old 11-27-2006, 03:06 PM   #27
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
63air ~

I believe I have the same book at home. Looking through it is like stepping back in time and I can't put it down. I had mentioned that an earlier thread about a Route 66 caravan was discussed although briefly, it seemed to have some interest. Here's the earlier thread: http://www.airforums.com/forum...=route+caravan

What do you all think of this idea? I, for one, would think there would alot of interest and as mentioned in the linked thread, the media would be all over it.

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Old 11-27-2006, 05:46 PM   #28
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Now that I've gotten home, I see I have the book entitled Route 66: Spirit of the Mother Road. It is a great reference book with tons of old and new pictures along with interesting stories. I highly recommend if you enjoy this as I do. From the intersection of Adams Street and Michigan Avenue to the Santa Monica Pier, more than 2,000 miles all the way. Get your kicks on Route 66!

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.