Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-10-2019, 06:32 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Hampton , Virginia
Route 2 i.e. northern route to west coast

We are planing trip west from Virginia up through Mi to the west coast starting July. We will use route 2 as a base line. We request comments and suggestions. Thanks in advance for your inputs

Regards Chuck and Eileen
engineshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 06:36 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by engineshow View Post
We are planing trip west from Virginia up through Mi to the west coast starting July. We will use route 2 as a base line. We request comments and suggestions. Thanks in advance for your inputs

Regards Chuck and Eileen
Might pass.you going the other way. Glacier to MN, mid July on rt 2.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 11:04 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Hampton , Virginia
US highway route 2 still looking for comments will be traveling east to west.
Old 06-17-2019, 12:53 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
An interesting route:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._Route_2

A good time of year to do this IMO. Note state-by-state Wikipedia "zoom in" articles for further details.

Are you open to going up into Canada?

Looking forward to comments.

Cheers,

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 06:22 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Hampton , Virginia
We will go into Canada from time to time, no Ser agenda. Hope to go to Seattle and take a cruise to Alaska mid Sept. Thanks for your info.
Regards Chuck
Old 06-18-2019, 06:54 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Theodore Roosevelt NP was mentioned here a few years back, and is on our list of possible stops heading west:

https://www.nps.gov/thro/index.htm

In North Dakota, the park's northern section is a little south of Highway 2:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Th...4d-103.5387091

. . . although the entire park runs way south of 2.

References on AirForums:

https://www.google.com/search?q=theo...=airforums.com

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f42/...rk-177489.html

From Post #16 in that thread . . . a lookout point. [with maybe the Yellowstone River below? not sure]:

Have a great trip!

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 07:10 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Hampton , Virginia
Thanks for the information we will visit on our way west.
Old 06-18-2019, 08:24 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
Chuck and Eileen, we live in Spokane and took this route last September. We drove up to Shelby to get on the Highline (hwy. 2) and drove east to Wolf Point where we turned south into Theodore Roosevelt National Park. Recommend this place. Dry camping at $7 if you are a senior.

There really is not much to see along highway 2. Pretty desolate but I suppose it was worth the trip for us. Got to see places we hadn't been. If you continue west on highway 2 after Shelby you will run into Glacier Park. You will have to go around the park on the south side as they will not allow trailers over the Going to the Sun highway. Beautiful country all of this.

After this you will want to look at your calendar. If you want to get to Seattle you will need to get south onto I-90. Otherwise I would suggest following highway 20 west through Washington. This will take you through some very pretty country and then you will go over the North Cascades Highway which is probably the most magnificent pass in the state.

Time might dictate your choice. Contact me and I can get a little more information to you about places to stay along the way, either way.

Dick
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 12:22 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2008 31' Classic
Rochester , NY
North Dakota and Montana

We headed to western Montana two years ago and were planning to use Route 2 but decided to stay on I90 and I94 due to more services and campgrounds. I90 and I94 had less truck traffic compared to I70 and I80.

In North Dakota would recommend the steak pitchfork fondue in Medora (and the musical). Nice, but small airplane Museum in Fargo.
Wyokirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 03:48 PM   #10
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
We have driven US 2 east to west, from near Minneapolis, to Everett Washington. We really enjoyed it, so much that when we were in Ottawa we went to Champlain and took US 2 just about to Bangor. We weren't camping, so can't help you on that front. It was an interesting road, lots of neat small towns. We'll do it again. I would definitely choose it with a trailer over taking an interstate. We don't like interstates much, towing or not.
jcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 04:56 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2016 22' Sport
Swedesboro , New Jersey
Wonderful territory

We traveled Route #2 last summer, from the top of ND all the way to Glacier. Comments about not much along the highway / ( just a road) in some places, make it a beautiful travel. Like going back in time and viewing the country the way it was many years ago. Campgrounds are few and far between, Shady Rest in Glasgow Montana and Trails West in Shelby ( parking lot at the Best Western) just look for the large American Flag. Nice sites and a new washroom / Laundry ( Good Sam / discount). Great food at the Best Western. Both good for a one night stop.. The Trails West is about 70 miles east of Glacier.... don't miss this travel experience......One important piece of advice given to me by good friends and travel companions.... IF YOU SEE GAS …. BUY IT... enjoy the journey.. Dave
dlkershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 06:25 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Hampton , Virginia
We want to thank everyone for their inputs. We are located in Hampton Virginia and would be glad to anserw questions regarding our area.

Regards Chuck and Eileen
Old 06-25-2019, 06:35 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by engineshow View Post
We want to thank everyone for their inputs. We are located in Hampton Virginia and would be glad to anserw questions regarding our area.

Regards Chuck and Eileen
Although I haven't contributed much since I haven't made the trek yet, I appreciate your offer. My first brush with wintering further south has been discouraging. I am looking at future winters in less warm, more temperate locales. Living in Chicago area, Virginia sounds just fine. I dont mind cool or rain, or even an occasional wet snow. That's why I have a furnace.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote