Old 03-22-2016, 01:24 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
San Antonio , Texas
Hwy 160

Used to live in the Alamosa (Spanish for Cottonwood) area, either way you go it is a beautiful drive, I do agree with the southern route via 285 etc. there are a few switchbacks on 160 on the decent from Wolf Creek that might be a bit tricky in the springtime as note (we have seen it snow in July in the San Luis Valley), in the valley you might want to visit the Great Sand Dunes National Park, they do have sites but not sure how many, the dunes are over seven hundred feet also there are rail trips on both the East side and South side of the valley.
The one thing you do need to do is AT ANTONIO, GO THE SPEED LIMIT & NO FASTER!!!!!! it can get expensive. also the oldest church in Colorado is in Antonito, the oldest town in Colorado is San Luis South on 159 from Fort Garland a restored fort once commanded by Kit Carson.
PS. Most of the valley is above 7000 ft, so don't do anything too strenuous.

Old 03-22-2016, 03:36 PM   #16
1 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
2013 27' Flying Cloud
El Prado , New Mexico
Us 160

All good replies. Weather so far this spring has been good, and Wolf Creek and La Veta Passes should be no problem, but this is the Rocky Mountains, so be aware of the weather. There's an iPhone ap called COCameras which gives you access to strategically placed traffic cams all over the state. Very useful. In addition to Mesa Verde (must see), check out one of America's newest National Parks, Great Sand Dunes, near Alamosa. A detour up to Creed might be fun, too. You also ought to download J. W. McCall's "Wolf Creek Pass" on your iTunes and listen to it as you traverse the pass.

Old 03-22-2016, 03:55 PM   #17
Classy Roscoe

2017 30' Classic
1969 31' Sovereign
Kerrville , Texas
When you go over the passes, either one, just say to your self, the trees are green, the trees are green! Pine Bark beetle. Really really sad. You folks in Colorado deserve special prayers for that pest killing so many beautiful trees. We have a landing zone in South Fork.

Happy Trails
Old 03-23-2016, 05:43 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
Silver Cliff , Colorado
Trave 160

160 is a good choice, views are good service is close. Do watch the weather, today wouldn't be a good choice. It has been spitting snow off and on all day here at my house which is about 60 miles north of 160 also DIA is closed for the first time in years. My kids in Denver tell me it is a full blown blizzard of course that is much farther north. I would check with the Hwy Dept to be sure before heading out if you are planning on the next couple of days.

Enjoy the trip it is a pretty one. Be prepared for keeping your speed down coming off Wolf Creek Pass it is steep.

Don
Old 03-23-2016, 06:39 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2016 28' Pendleton
Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by D Bishop View Post
160 is a good choice, views are good service is close. Do watch the weather, today wouldn't be a good choice. It has been spitting snow off and on all day here at my house which is about 60 miles north of 160 also DIA is closed for the first time in years. My kids in Denver tell me it is a full blown blizzard of course that is much farther north. I would check with the Hwy Dept to be sure before heading out if you are planning on the next couple of days.

Enjoy the trip it is a pretty one. Be prepared for keeping your speed down coming off Wolf Creek Pass it is steep.

Don
Yes, it was 71 degrees yesterday driving home from Ft Collins and today, I just finished plowing over 20 inches of snow from our driveway here in Evergreen with the tractor. Spring in Colorado is always "an adventure."

Click image for larger version

Name:	spring CO.JPG
Views:	42
Size:	459.2 KB
ID:	259262
2016 Pendleton #006/100
2011 Lance 950S
2012 F350 6.7d Dually LB

"Everyone has a plan...until they get punched in the face." - Mike Tyson

There is no planet B.
SrFade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 08:06 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

1968 22' Safari
Dorchester , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allons View Post
All good replies. Weather so far this spring has been good, and Wolf Creek and La Veta Passes should be no problem, but this is the Rocky Mountains, so be aware of the weather. There's an iPhone ap called COCameras which gives you access to strategically placed traffic cams all over the state. Very useful. In addition to Mesa Verde (must see), check out one of America's newest National Parks, Great Sand Dunes, near Alamosa. A detour up to Creed might be fun, too. You also ought to download J. W. McCall's "Wolf Creek Pass" on your iTunes and listen to it as you traverse the pass.
Nailed it Allons, specially the required music for journey! Been over it 4 or 5 times with a 32 foot 5th wheel towed by a ford 2 1/2 T diesel with no problems - just don't try to push it. The West slope of Colorado is a jewel. slow down and enjoy it!
Old 03-25-2016, 12:56 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1977 31' Excella 500
West Sacramento , California
I plan on taking 160 west from Trinidad to Durango in early May around mothers day weekend. I'm hoping that time of year the odds are lower for bad weather but still a possibility.