Old 08-30-2012, 07:40 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2008 23' Safari FB SE
Boulder , Colorado
Rocky Mtn Nat Park CO

Just got back from several days at Rocky Mtn National Park/Moraine Campground. Had a great time. Weather was perfect and fishing was great. Did some fishing and dutch oven cooking. The elk were in rutt and had started bugling. A few even surprised me when I was on the Big T fishing - had to give the big bull his space with his harem.

Enjoy the photos...

Saw a Bambi headed up the canyon when I was headed down. Had a great time.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AS and RMNP Moraine.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	407.6 KB
ID:	167117   Click image for larger version

Name:	AS and Tundra.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	456.7 KB
ID:	167118  

Name:	AS Window Reflection.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	216.9 KB
ID:	167119   Click image for larger version

Name:	Brown Trout Big T.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	371.7 KB
ID:	167120  

Name:	Brownie and Rod.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	490.1 KB
ID:	167121   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02143.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	641.9 KB
ID:	167122  

Name:	Dutch Oven Chicken Stew.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	246.0 KB
ID:	167123   Click image for larger version

Name:	Elk.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	635.9 KB
ID:	167124  

Name:	Upper Big T.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	394.3 KB
ID:	167125   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wild Turkey.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	583.3 KB
ID:	167126  

Old 08-30-2012, 09:20 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Pearland , Texas
Great pictures. My wife and I spent 4 days in the backcountry there over July 4th week. Gorgeous park.

Old 08-31-2012, 09:07 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2008 23' Safari FB SE
Boulder , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by bike_addict View Post
Great pictures. My wife and I spent 4 days in the backcountry there over July 4th week. Gorgeous park.
Nice. Where did you backpack to?
Old 08-31-2012, 09:43 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Pearland , Texas
We were over on the west side of the park near Grand Lake. We went in the Timber Lake trailhead and basecamped back near Timber Lake and day hiked from there. Absolutely gorgeous park. Had a great time. It was a pretty stout hike into camp but well worth it. We hiked in on a Sunday so the park was pretty empty, we were pretty secluded. Had mule deer and elk come right into our camp.
Old 09-01-2012, 09:03 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2008 23' Safari FB SE
Boulder , Colorado
That sounds beautiful. It is such a pretty park. I live about 25 mins from the park outside Lyons so it is my "home" waters when fly fishing. I was surrounded by a bull elk and his harem on this trip given that the rut had started. I tried to make myself small and unthreatening and stay out of their way but it was hard since there were so many of them. He had to have had at least 35 in his harem.... Beautiful to see though.
Old 09-01-2012, 06:36 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Chesterfield , Missouri
We've camped in Rocky Mtn twice. I think both times we were in Glacier Basin. Is that right?
Your pictures are great. Nice brookie! We managed to get the kids up to Flat Top I believe. Up above bear lake.
How has the pine beetle hurt the trees? I had heard that part of Colorado really was hit hard. Looks like trees in your campsite though.
Thanks
Jeff
Old 09-01-2012, 07:40 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Houston Texas , Texas
Moraine Park this summer. So much fun camping there...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-1181919405.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	574.9 KB
ID:	167242  
Old 09-02-2012, 08:17 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2008 23' Safari FB SE
Boulder , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by GettinAway View Post
We've camped in Rocky Mtn twice. I think both times we were in Glacier Basin. Is that right?
Your pictures are great. Nice brookie! We managed to get the kids up to Flat Top I believe. Up above bear lake.
How has the pine beetle hurt the trees? I had heard that part of Colorado really was hit hard. Looks like trees in your campsite though.
Thanks
Jeff
We definitely have pine beetle kill in the park but it is more up on the hills. The Moraine CG doesn't seem to have much of it. It is a very pretty campground. Since it is so close to us, I try to make reservations a couple of times each summer.
Old 09-03-2012, 05:22 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Chesterfield , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonginator View Post
We definitely have pine beetle kill in the park but it is more up on the hills. The Moraine CG doesn't seem to have much of it. It is a very pretty campground. Since it is so close to us, I try to make reservations a couple of times each summer.
So.. If you don't mind my asking, what are your favorite sites in Moraine?
We like shade and privacy.. Long walks to the bathrooms,
I usually look for outside the loop on the ends..

Jeff
Old 09-04-2012, 03:37 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2008 23' Safari FB SE
Boulder , Colorado
Quote:
So.. If you don't mind my asking, what are your favorite sites in Moraine?
We like shade and privacy.. Long walks to the bathrooms,
I usually look for outside the loop on the ends..

Jeff
We share the same taste in sites. I love the sites on the right hand outer rim of the C loop but they are very hard to come by - they have great views of the Moraine valley. I also like a few of the sites on the outside northeast edge of the A loop.
Old 09-04-2012, 03:59 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD FB
1970 23' Safari
1956 16' Bubble
Jamul , California
Colorado bound

Thanks for sharing your photos and info. We'll pack the rig, load the rods 'n reels. Colorado's Rocky Mtn NP, on the list. Tight lines!
The " TinDen "
2007 25' International FB
1970 Safari 23' Land Yacht
1956 Bubble 16' California Whale Tail
Charter Member 4 Corners Unit
(View all of elfirebob's images)
elfirebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 05:48 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Chesterfield , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonginator View Post
We share the same taste in sites. I love the sites on the right hand outer rim of the C loop but they are very hard to come by - they have great views of the Moraine valley. I also like a few of the sites on the outside northeast edge of the A loop.
Thanks for the info.. Sounds like some early planning would be in order..
That's a weakness I have.. Appreciate you sharing campsite info. Hey, I didn't ask where you fished. (Brookies are the only trout we will keep, and just a couple. They go well with blueberry pancakes.)

Thanks again
Old 09-06-2012, 09:17 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2008 23' Safari FB SE
Boulder , Colorado
Yes, early planning is good with this campground. To be more specific than my last post, my favorite sites are C227, C230, and C232. C245 is a runner up. Those first 3 have very nice views of the Moraine Valley.

I usually fish the Upper Big Thompson in Moraine Valley. If you turn right at the exit from the Moraine campground and follow the road past the stables, it turns into a dirt road. You can fish the river to the left of the road in the Moraine Valley meadows. I like to take the road past the small parking circle toward the fall river trailhead and then park before the trailhead in the small pullouts. You can go through the elk gates on the left and access the river. It is quieter there as most folks never venture past the parking circle. Also fishing Fall River, Lily Lake, and the Wild Basin area off of Hwy 7 is fun and pretty. If you t don't mind driving out of the park 20 mins, you can access the Big T off the Dunkirk Trailhead past Glen Haven. You hike down into the valley and can fish small pocket water. Don't bring your big rods though as it is overgrown in some areas. This is also very pretty and the fish counts can be high. Don't expect monsters though.....

You can catch Brookies, browns, rainbows in the first area I mentioned, Wild Basin and Lily give you a chance to catch native greenback cutthroats.

Tight lines!

Sandy
Old 09-06-2012, 10:29 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado
Quote:
Thanks
Jeff
Glacier Basin campground is further along on Bear Lake Road, with a nice trail to Sprague Lake where you can sometimes see moose. So far, the pine beetles have done the most damage on the west side of the park and around Grand Lake.
Bonginator's advice to not get near a bull elk and his harem is good advice. The same advice goes for a cow elk with a fawn nearby- they can be really tempermental and agressive! I was chased and knocked off my bike by one while riding the trail around Lake Estes a few years back, my only luck being that she did not feel the need to stomp on me with her hooves after I was on the ground. Years before that, I was chased by a bull on the Estes Park Golf course, my only recourse then to use a large rock in the river as something to crouch behind as his antlers tried to find me... I now live elsewhere...