Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-11-2013, 06:50 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
St. Hedwig , Texas
Rocky Mountain National Park

H eading to Huron from OklahomaCity and thinking of going to the Rocky Mountaing National Park enroutefor a few days. Which are some of the favorite camping locations. We have no problem dry camping.
gaylejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 10:51 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1995 34' Excella
Corinth , Mississippi
We loved the Rocky Mountain National Park when we visited there a few years ago, but we did not have a TT at that time and did not pay attention to the campgrounds. Sorry.
TAC # MS-8
Hodum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 12:02 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
See links below for info on National Park campgrounds, and road and weather conditions. Note that some areas are closed this summer (2013) due to construction, and a few roads are still closed (from the winter season) until May 24 when they are scheduled to reopen, weather permitting.

Campgrounds - Rocky Mountain National Park

Road Status Report - Rocky Mountain National Park

Alternately, Estes Park, Grand Lake and Granby are nearby and have lots of resort-type campgrounds (e.g., KOA).

Suggest using Google Earth and search for "Campgrounds near Rocky Mountain National Park, Estes Park, CO", to identify and locate more campgrounds.

Beautiful area!
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 03:30 AM   #4
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1993 34' Excella
York , South Carolina
We are headed there also

latter half of June. Traveling with us will be Biggator. I noticed others have posted that they will also be in the area, so maybe we see you there. We are planning to base camp at Grand Lake.

John
WBCCI #268 Palmetto State Airstream Club 22
Region 3 Past President....come with us, you will like it.

Go often to the house of a friend, for weeds choke the unused path........Emerson

Are you kind?..... Uncle John's Band
sandlapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 04:58 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandlapper View Post
latter half of June. Traveling with us will be Biggator. I noticed others have posted that they will also be in the area, so maybe we see you there. We are planning to base camp at Grand Lake.

John
Hey, John! May have to have a mini-rally, and you could meet kingfisher24. They are Texans, great folks.

Will watch for you.

Maggie
Old 05-13-2013, 05:23 AM   #6
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1993 34' Excella
York , South Carolina
Absolutely Maggie. I had seen your earlier posts, the thought had crossed my mind.

We have been through Colorado but never spent time there so we are excited, especially to see RMNP. The folks we are traveling out with spend their summers there so we have tour guides.

We will certainly be on the lookout for you two, too!!

Go often to the house of a friend, for weeds choke the unused path........Emerson

Old 05-13-2013, 09:36 AM   #7
Islander

2005 28' International CCD
Deer Harbor , ORCAS ISLAND WA
never been

we have not been to colorado...so we will set off in june...not sure yet of the time frame.

i want to go thru the oklahoma panhandle and then up the eastern part of colorado. I will most likely be in seven stops from the austin area to reach the vicinity of RMNP.

what or where around grand lake are good spots?

i had thought about stopping at boyd lake state park in loveland to start exploring the park...and then i looked at Paradise on the river RV park in estes park.

i want to get some where to leave the trailer and then explore.....
WBCCI 2541

4CU
kingfisher24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 10:27 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Memphis , Tennessee
Quote:

John
I'll be at Stillwater campground on lake granby on June 27th for a few nights. I'll keep a look out for y'all.
'65 Buick Electra 225 convt.
willapus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 03:33 AM   #9
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1993 34' Excella
York , South Carolina
Super. Hope we see you, would love to take a peek inside your Streamline.

John

Old 05-16-2013, 03:14 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We're thinking we will go into Colorado on 160 and explore the southern and west central part of the state awhile before heading toward RMNP.

Anyone driven 550 and 50 and have anything to report on their navigability?

Looking just at the National Forest and other non-state, public campgrounds on the CampWhere app, dump stations and higher-end amenities such as electricity and showers look to be few and far between.

Looks like it would be a really beautiful area to explore, but would have to plan on dry camping most nights.

Maggie
Old 05-16-2013, 04:57 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
Laramie , Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfisher24 View Post
we have not been to colorado...so we will set off in june...not sure yet of the time frame.

i want to go thru the oklahoma panhandle and then up the eastern part of colorado. I will most likely be in seven stops from the austin area to reach the vicinity of RMNP.

what or where around grand lake are good spots?

i had thought about stopping at boyd lake state park in loveland to start exploring the park...and then i looked at Paradise on the river RV park in estes park.

i want to get some where to leave the trailer and then explore.....
Estes Park is a wonderful area, steep mountain climb to get there from Loveland, but worth it. The Manor Rv park in Estes is nice also.
mgap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 06:05 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1991 34' Limited
Wichita , Kansas
Gayle and Joe,
I've camped in RMNP with a travel trailer for over two decades now and it's a wonderful place. It is much better to camp within the park because you will be surrounded by nature, it is less expensive and the travel time is less to get to the things you want to see. None of the campgrounds in the park have hookups.

My favorite campground is Moraine Park and my second favorite is Aspen Glen. Both parks have ranger led programs in the evenings and I highly recommend them. Also, when you arrive, go straight to the campground to see what is available in the way of a camp sight. I usually try to drive through the campground before selecting a site and a couple of alternates. It can be very competitive to get a camp site. Try getting there as early as possible.

Once you've secured a camp site go to the visitor's center near the east entrance to the park. They have a continuously running video that orients you to the park, its history and the attractions. One thing that we like to do is to go up the Old Fall River Road (gravel, one way road) that leads up to the Alpine Visitor's Center. This road preserves the way all park roads used to be back in the 1930s or so and has many beautiful vistas. You can eat lunch at the visitor's center and then drive back via Trail Ridge Road, the major road that goes through the park.

I could go on, but, I'll stop here. If you want further information, send me a PM and I'll give you my phone number and we can talk about things to see. Plan on taking a day or so to acclimate to the altitude before you do a lot of hiking, etc.

Steve
Steve Bryant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 08:50 PM   #13
Rivet Master

Hampton , New Hampshire
Will keep an eye on this thread - heading there in September.
2019 Airstream Classic 30RBT, 2021 Ford F350 King Ranch 4X4 w/6.7L Diesel, Hensley, ACI #1313

travelwiththeslowskys.com
nilesrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 08:25 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Memphis , Tennessee
Quote:
Super. Hope we see you, would love to take a peek inside your Streamline.

John
Sure, but don't think I'll have it tricked out in time for this trip. Just serviceable. I'm about to break down my shop, memphisrocker.com, and move it two doors down.

I'll be heading to lake granby from canon city. Are there any paved routes that I should avoid? Any that I shouldn't miss? Google has me going up hwy.9 through Breckinridge to kremming and then east. That goes for the rest of the state too. I have pulled my pop up, 2k lbs+. all over and didn't have any problems. I did downshift a bunch but was able to maintain a much higher speed than I plan to do with my 29' streamline, especially downhill. I'll be towing with my sequoia, 188k.

Also, I have taken 550 and 50 with my pop up many times. Nice routes and remember passing a number of heavier tt. Plan on pulling the streamline through there too. 550 is beautiful with a bunch of switchbacks and slower speed limits and 50's monarch pass is a long climb.
Old 05-17-2013, 10:11 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by willapus View Post
Also, I have taken 550 and 50 with my pop up many times. Nice routes and remember passing a number of heavier tt. Plan on pulling the streamline through there too. 550 is beautiful with a bunch of switchbacks and slower speed limits and 50's monarch pass is a long climb.
Thank you! That helps a great deal. We can do most anything with the Interstate, emphasis on "most". There are a lot of NF campgrounds near those roads, too. .

We are going to poke around Colorado south to north starting in Durango mid-June, leaving RMNP for last and planning on being in Deadwood, South Dakota by the 3rd of July for the long holiday weekend. We'll be very ready for hot showers, laundry, etc., by then.

Will look for y'all out there.

Maggie
Old 05-17-2013, 08:29 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Memphis , Tennessee
Some signs you'll see on 550...

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130517_212807.png
Views:	182
Size:	446.4 KB
ID:	185966
Old 05-17-2013, 09:35 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
If you are going to Durango from SE Colorado. Take a look a Hwy 160. It goes over La Veta and Wolf Creek passes.
From Durango going north. You have a couple of choices. North out of Durango to Silverton, then on to Ouray. Or go west out of Durango to Dolores, then north over Lizard Head pass thru Rico to Telluride. Both routes will take you thru incredible scenery to the Town of Ridgway, which is just south of Montrose. From there are a number of choices to go to RMNP.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 12:00 AM   #18
Sbb
begorragirl

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Denville , New Jersey
I was there today, a perfect 10 weather day. I came in from Estes Park. We could not get to the top, as the road is still closed. We saw plenty of Elk and a Moose. The campground was nice, most spots not too big, but some had power and water which surprised me. The Ranger who referred to us as the "Joisey" girls was really nice. He suggested if we wanted to come back camping to get a reservation right away it was filling up. So I guess they must tAke some reservations. The Park was a huge treat for me, since last week I was at the Blue Ridge National Park in VA, where I thought I was at the top of the world at 3400'! Today was just a little different. ( lastbweek with husband on vacation, got home left next day to drive with daughter to Denver for job relocation), next Friday I'll be in Catskills of NY. I love camping.
2001 Teardrop, Mountain Hardware Tent
For some perfection takes a little longer...
Sbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 04:42 AM   #19
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1993 34' Excella
York , South Carolina
Great info folks, keep it coming.

John

Old 05-18-2013, 04:51 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by TG Twinkie View Post
If you are going to Durango from SE Colorado. Take a look a Hwy 160. It goes over La Veta and Wolf Creek passes.
From Durango going north. You have a couple of choices. North out of Durango to Silverton, then on to Ouray. Or go west out of Durango to Dolores, then north over Lizard Head pass thru Rico to Telluride. Both routes will take you thru incredible scenery to the Town of Ridgway, which is just south of Montrose. From there are a number of choices to go to RMNP.
160 was our planned route in from Kansas. Looks to be a beautiful drive.

Thanks for the info.

Maggie