Old 04-02-2008, 08:59 AM   #1
2004 19' International CCD
Chicago , Illinois
Rock Cut SP and Apple River SP, Illinois

With our AS stored SO far north of Chicago, we thought we be looking at travel north during the next year.

For weekend or long weekend get aways, we were looking into Rock Cut right outside of Rockford, Ill. Further out, but not much, is Apple River Canyon.

Anyone been to either of these places? Your thoughts? I know that Rock Cut has electric, and from the campground map, it looks huge, and it might get zoo-ey given that the sites are so close to each other.

Apple Canyon has about 47 sites, no electric (I think), and it looks like sites may be more private. Can you run a genny there for a few hours? Also, first come, first serve seems like a plus.

Any advice for two anti-social campers would be greatly appreciated.

Sometimes I wish I were living in the stone age. Then I would know I'm the smartest person in the world.
crazylev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 12:10 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
McHenry County , Illinois
Never liked Rock Cut. Way too busy.
Never been to Apple River.
I do like Lake-Le-Aqua-Na. Not as far out as Apple River, nice roads for biking and good trails for hiking. DNR
I haven't camped there an a number of years but drove through last fall. Still looks in good condition. With gas being so high I'm thinking of a weekend out there this year.

AirForums # 2806
WBCCI / VAC # 6411

Not All Who Wander Are Lost.

Avid supporter of trailing edge technology.
Tom Nugler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 01:02 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Currently Looking...
NE , Indiana
Try Paul Wolff forest preserve, it is just west of Elgin, a really nice little RV park. Water and Electric are available.
Hi Yo Silver, Away II?
looking for our next AS
AIR 7185
redeagle313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 03:29 PM   #4
Rivet Master
1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
There are lots of state and local parks up around here as well as a bunch of compercial campgrounds with nice facilities. Chain of Lakes State park is about 5 miles from our house and has 3,000 acres. They have two nice campgrounds. Lots of boating, bike, horse, and hiking trails It is 5 miles south of Wisconsin border just off Route 12. Buffalo park is a smaller campground right on the Fox river just south of Algonquin. Sabona is nice just off Route 30. We have had Unit outings there frequently. Boating and hiking. Forum rallies at Penatonica just west of Rockford nice small park. State park at Oregon, IL nice park on the Rock River. lots and lots more.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 03:48 PM   #5
2004 19' International CCD
Chicago , Illinois

We've been to COL many times. It is a nice place. We bring the folding bikes for the trails. Plus my wife can ride a train from chicago to Antioch where I pick here up. My only beef is it gets real cozy on a busy weekend.

I'm not sure why state parks (in Illinois) almost always end up being fields of grass with out trees. The grass then needs to be mowed, inevitably on a morning when I have a slight Corsendonk headache.

Just lookin' for somethin' new. Plus I'm crabby from a to-long winter...

I've been looking into Lake-Le-Aqua-Na as well. Looks interesting.

I was not even aware that you could camp in a forest preserve! That's certainly a possibility.

All in all, just looking for piece, quiet, and shade. Something rare today with all the development that's going on, even in the midst of a housing bust.
Sometimes I wish I were living in the stone age. Then I would know I'm the smartest person in the world.
crazylev is offline   Reply With Quote