Old 01-16-2010, 09:17 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member
2001 27' Safari
1995 36' Classic 36
Ambler , Pennsylvania
roadside assistance

We are getting ready to leave on our first long trip in our airstream. PA to Florida over a months time in our 2001 Safari. We were thinking about getting roadside assistance as a precaution. We are looking at Good Sam club and TripleA. Does anyone have experience with these companies or others? Or should we just skip it all together?
Thanks Nancy

nawwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 09:27 AM   #2

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
If you go AAA be sure to verify that it is good in all the states you will travel in. I know that the AAA RV package that is sold in the St. Louis area does not cover all states. Some insurance companies provide roadside assistance also. I have this with my Progressive Insurance Policy on my trailer. It provides an 800 number, specialized RV service and will cover the tow vehicle (even though I have it insured with a different carrier), and trailer and emergency lodging. If the tow vehicle breaks down and needs towing, they will send a second vechicle to also take care of the trailer.

Jack Canavera
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 10:04 AM   #3

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up

We go both ways...AAA and Hartford Ins. Used AAA once. Tongue jack broke on our 63, AAA flat bed to CG and made contact arrangement with a welder.
Worked for us.
AF #1

"Sticks & stones can break your bones...and hail will dent your Airstream"

So when is this..."old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 10:09 AM   #4
Rivet Master
Las Vegas , Nevada
We have the Good Sam package. Had a problem at a rest area once, 60 miles from nearest service, one call to Good Sam and within two hours we were back on the road.
345bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 10:19 AM   #5
1976 Argosy 24
-- , Georgia
We have Good Sam coverage, and we've used it twice.

1. Our tow vehicle broke down before 6am one morning on the way to work (snapped u-joint). The responder arrived in 30 minutes and towed us home with no problem.

2. We needed a jump before 6am at a rally in Florida. The responder was unable to locate the state park (Topsail Hill) where we were camped. After waiting on him for 1 hour, I told him to forget it as other campers were out and about and he was still 30 miles away.

Summary: We have no problems with Good Sam's dispatch service, but their overall service is only as good as the local providers that perform the service.

1976 24' Argosy
1973 International Harvester Travelette 1210 4x4 'Bernard' 164" WB
1997 Georgie Boy 30' SuperDuty v10
Ike T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 10:46 AM   #6
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We have had AAARV since 2002, love their service the few times we have needed them for the Interstate or car and the innumerable discounts you receive at campgrounds, museums, zoos/other attractions.
🏡 🚐 Cherish and appreciate those you love. This moment could be your last.🌹🐚❤️
Lily&Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 11:02 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2016 20' Flying Cloud
Centennial , Colorado
We have Good Sam, have used it and are very satisfied.
Steve "Centennial Man"
centennialman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 11:09 AM   #8
Rivet Master

Marietta , Georgia
Whave AAA - but only on our cars. The only issues we have ever had (across maybe 7-9 years towing, many thousands of miles) have all been with the tow vehicle, not the trailer. I guess I would consider some form of RV roadside protection, but just haven't had or felt the need so far. Now that I've said that, I'll probably be jinxed!
The Slowsky's
2008 Airstream 27FB International Ocean Breeze
2014 Ford F250 King Ranch 4X4 w/6.7L Diesel, Hensley Hitch
WBCCI #1271
nilesrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 11:27 AM   #9
Rivet Master
Currently Looking...
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Cleveland , Tennessee
We had Good Sam & weren't happy with their service. We were visiting family in Rifle, CO. There was a flat tire on our MH. We had a spare. All the servicer had to do was change the tire. We called Saturday afternoon, they called back after half an hour. They said they couldn't find anyone in the area & to call back tommorrow. We called late Sunday morning, they called back after half an hour. They said they still don't have anyone, call back tommorrow. When I called on Monday, I asked for a supervisor right away. 45 minutes later, she called back & said someone is on their way. The servicer arrived 10 minutes later. He said they are open on weekends & didn't get the call till 20 minutes ago.

I think Good Sam's idea of 24 hr service sucks. There are 3 tire shops in Rifle.

"Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." Mark Twain

AIR 22749 WBCCI 2349 NOVA TAC TN-6
1989 345 LE Classic Motorhome
3 Dog Nite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 11:30 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
North/East , New Jersey
We have the Good Sam service and have called them once for a dead battery in my car and twice to repair flat tires on my truck while towing the Airstream in Mass & Georgia. When in Mass we were on the Mass Turnpike and Good Sam had to refer our request to the towing service under contract with the Mass Turnpike Authority. Good Sam reimbursed us for the fee from the Mass Turnpike. In all cases we received service in less than an hour and were satisfied with their service.
2007 Safari 25' FBSE LS
2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crew Cab 4WD Duramax
2dabeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 11:46 AM   #11
. , .
Originally Posted by nawwin View Post
...Or should we just skip it all together?
Thanks Nancy
depends on your insurance coverage, most people are paying for roadside assistance already.

insurance, new car purchases, credit cards, and other associations YOU PAY into, may already cover your needs

as jack notes in post 2, progressive provides really good roadside, better and more specific as related to trailers.

and the tv is covered while towing an insured trailer, very very cool.

had a truck break down in rural idaho while towing...

with ONE call, they sent a tow truck that flat bedded MY truck (not insured by them) and pulled the stream...

to the 'authorized service center' of my choice, which was 30-40 miles further than the 'closest' authorized shop.

no co pay, no bill.

trailer tow'rs have unique issues and needs that may NOT be covered by the generic 3a or g'sam helper coverage...

as always the PLAN details dictate the best purchase and last minute shopping is typically wasting money.

it's also useful to be PROACTIVE when contacting for roadside help.

get on the web and FIND a local towing, service center or scan the dealer network.

the roadside operator is NOT likely to do as through job of searching for the options, use the web or ask a local...

in my case, progressive was VERY willing to accept the suggestion of WHERE to tow it and pay for the extra distance.

all of the true things that i am about to tell you are shameless lies. l.b.j.

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 12:16 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
I have always approached insurance as something to pay for what you can't handle.
I am a triple A member, but with out the rv coverage. I have Used their road service once in 30 years, however I save enough on gas rebates with their credit card to more than cover the dues each year.

Towing insurance on your auto policy is only a couple bucks more, at Least with State Farm. The one time I had a major failure i decided it was cheaper to have the truck brought home 300 miles and fix it myself instead of the local shop. Turned the bill in to my agent and told them I knew they wouldn't pay it all, and would not be reasonable to expect them to and was given a check for $150.00 so I was happy with that.

That being said, I am reasonably competent mechanically and carry lots of tools so I can cope with most happenings along the road.

As I get older and more feeble I may well re think my policy on road service and it is good to hear that most of them seem to be getting the job done.
I don't buy service contracts on anything either.
I am presently towing a 49 year old trailer with a TV with 547,000 on it so one of these days it probably will catch up with me
Rick Davis 1602 K8DOC
61 tradewind, plus a few others
13 Ram 2500 TD
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 08:11 PM   #13
Rivet Master
1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
I have AAA plus RV. I've used it a couple times, most notably when I blew the transmission in the B-van on a trip. They came quickly (on July 4), pulled the B-van on to a rollback, then towed the dolly (with the car still on it) on the back of the rollback. We only went a couple miles but it was over $100 for the towing bill. I was pretty happy with the service.

I also had a battery die on me in another car less than 2 miles from my house. I had AAA come out, and they put a new one in right then and there.

Personally I wouldn't go without AAA. I occasionally joke that I definitely need it since I have two Ford vehicles , but I'd have it no matter what brand of vehicles I owned.
1995 Airstream Classic 30' Excella 1000
2014 Ram 2500 Crew Cab with Cummins 6.7L Diesel

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 09:14 PM   #14
Rivet Master
1985 25' Sovereign
Venice/Nokomis , Florida
Well satisfied with Good Sam, excellent service experience just weeks ago.
They cover all your vehicles autos and or RV. Had AAA, 30 years, one call with a motor home we had two years ago NG no help. That's when we joined Good Sam's.

airdreamers is offline   Reply With Quote