Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-29-2014, 11:05 AM   #621
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
" . . Ross, glad to see you are still around. I haven't seen much from you lately, but I've been so busy that I don't look at the Forum that much, so I may have missed you. How is the trailer restoration going?

Thanks for asking. Just found out that there is no work for today (things slow in oil biz near 4th Qtr) and, for the five religious readers who can skip over this, or, for the rest who wonder. [Edit, and I see I go on too much. "Nothing much to see here, folks, let's keep moving along"]:

I've not been online so much either. Finally bought a smartphone -- made the jump from 1999 to 2013 -- and added a mobile hotspot as the wifi at "home" is poor. The recent decision by the US Marshall Service auction yard next door to erect a tall electrified fence didn't help matters. So I pay more -- 3X -- but now am better connected to the zooming phosphors. Ineffable is the word, isn't it? Paying so much for something not really real . . yet I fear is much too real for those who've grown up with it.

The Streak sits on (thus I live on) a great, huge level concrete pad. Same for parking my truck. And the truck it is that will receive quite a lot of work. Higher rated springs all around; new, larger anti-roll bars, etc., past maintenance and some repairs. Then a better (Class V) hitch modified per Andrew_T's (VAP podcast) note that SAE spec'd receivers be capable of 1k of TQ when WD can exert 4k. Then to mod the HA-adjustable (PRO PRIDE-sourced) stinger yet some more. And replace TT tires/wheels with larger/stronger. Living in hurricane country does pose the biggest challenge: How to get the hell out in a hurry . . cause there ain't gonna be nothing to come back to (for conservative planning purposes).

So pickup, hitch and TT tires are the priority. I still consider cameras to buy and have yet to find out if this iPhone 5s is adequate substitute in re a thread on weighing & adjusting the heck out of this rig. One big stack of scale tickets to ensue (before and after WD applied; not just hitch, but wheel-by-wheel). I haven't per se loaded the vehicles for travel-- some heavy stuff sits in the TT that won't for travel, etc -- and, while each vehicle is expected to increase in weight (90-gls fuel for TV; 90-gls water for TT) I've finally bought from Sean a SHERLINE TW scale to start that process.

Oilfield should pay more than it does. Long hours usually make up for the compensation breakdown by miles/hours. It also means I now have to pay for work I used to do myself. I'm a pretty good mechanic, but slow. And I no longer have a garage, much less evenings or weekends free. C'est la vie.

I genuinely look forward to concentrating on the TT. I keep reading and looking for reasonable goals (such as the fuel and water capability; I see that Earth Roamer uses a 1.3KW solar capability on [some? all?] of their vehicles). switz has had a fine system installed and I know you've recommended Lewster more than once in this regard. I have the OEM solar system (working) in place, and will likely replace some components to get it about halfway. That, along with new plumbing and some serious work (not yet scheduled: drop full-length pan and work on underside; thus paying for the concrete parking and maintaining good relations with park manager plus owner is an ongoing thing to "bend" rules). I'd say that the goal at this point would be to live at a handful of truck stops/Walmart for about two weeks with little or no "inputs" (situation-dependent). Weather not needing A/C, but not necessarily warm either. Nothing like a real-life test to find out where one is, eh?

So, I'd say that my upcoming paid week off (when it cools, around Thanksgiving) I'll get the truck into shape, run the TT to the shop for the bi-annual inspection, and spend the better part of day or two at a local truckstop with CAT Scale and get the guesstimated 30+ scale tickets and pics done. We'll see. I seem to be running about 1-2 years behind, overall. I'm a year past having the '76 SS sold, but have patient buyers waiting. That'll free up a lot of cash for the above work.

A move to West Texas since the son is stuck with USMC for another two years upset the 2014 move to Colorado. More work and better pay in the Permian than here in "Northern Mexico". Horizontal drilling has proved effective there and I'll be glad to be out of this terrible humidity and the hurricane threat.

Mexico is re-opening their fields to US and European oil companies, so the two most valuable commodities on Earth -- oil & drugs -- are likely to make the area south of San'tonio that much worse. I don't like what I hear of late about any area west of IH-35. Hopefully I'll be out of here before the summer of 2015 (unless things improve at my current driving job, I'm pretty used to it. Pay lower than it should be is the only real complaint, and with trucking, that's not as important as it might be in some other industries, but living prices almost anywhere but here are far higher, so, I dither . . . .)

Being divorced and broke is one thing. Being divorced, broke and age 55 is another. Where is the re-set button to start over at age 43, instead, ha! OTOH, I can buy the tools I want (quality) and not have to feel I have to justify the Do It Once and Do It Right mentality that I strongly believe is needed. Frustrating to have to do some things twice or more. Such is the "price" of an eleven year old TV and 25-yr old TT. When I leave Texas it will be debt-free in a rig brought up to par.

Best to you and all of yours, Gene.

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 11:06 AM   #622
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Fingers crossed, Gene.

Maggie
Old 09-29-2014, 08:20 PM   #623
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Today we heard that an offer was coming and it had to be typed. I know some of the major details like price, but I haven't seen the actual paperwork and know the probable (?) buyer is talking with a bank where he does business, so more details are coming, but, of course, I want to see an actual offer. This will drive me nuts for a while. Counter offers will surely be done. You have to get through the lender and the appraiser. I will be nervous for a while. The "buyer" doesn't care about the sloping floor and that is a relief because it is not cheap to level a floor.

It rained a lot today, especially when I wanted to load up stuff in the pickup at the Crawford house. That was after a trip to my knee guy for some steroids in my knee. A lot of driving today all over the western slope (220 miles) and yawning is prevalent.

I sure hope to have our favorite furniture home soon, especially the sofa where I can crash when necessary. We have a love seat in the new house, but it is kind of cramped when you are falling asleep on it.

Gene

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 12:37 AM   #624
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
Bob,

A Tundra will meet your requirements, but I know you are a Ford guy. How do you feel about the EcoBoost trucks? They seem to be working well for people, although I can't ever see myself buying a Ford (I haven't gotten over that '56 Mercury).

Gene
Hi, Gene; We are very close to buying a new truck. Just a few little details to work out. I also have to think back when Lee had a Thunderbird SC. It had a 3.8 L V-6 with a belt driven blower. That was one powerful machine. I wasn't a fan of the 3.8 L V-6, but Ford worked some magic on that one. Her Thunderbird SC also got better gas mileage than my 2.3 L, stick shift, 4 cylinder Ranger. [both city and highway] At first I was looking at the crew cab long bed, but it will only fit in my garage by inches, so we are looking at the short bed version. This will be my first four wheel drive vehicle since my 1978 Jeep CJ-5, which was my first. My Lincoln has successfully taken us through places that only a four wheel drive vehicle should have, but my home territory has changed. Even though my traveling probably won't be much different. Ford is in my blood so a Toyota wouldn't work out for me. Having a BMW in the fleet is enough.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 12:41 AM   #625
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Today we heard that an offer was coming and it had to be typed. I know some of the major details like price, but I haven't seen the actual paperwork and know the probable (?) buyer is talking with a bank where he does business, so more details are coming, but, of course, I want to see an actual offer. This will drive me nuts for a while. Counter offers will surely be done. You have to get through the lender and the appraiser. I will be nervous for a while. The "buyer" doesn't care about the sloping floor and that is a relief because it is not cheap to level a floor.

It rained a lot today, especially when I wanted to load up stuff in the pickup at the Crawford house. That was after a trip to my knee guy for some steroids in my knee. A lot of driving today all over the western slope (220 miles) and yawning is prevalent.

I sure hope to have our favorite furniture home soon, especially the sofa where I can crash when necessary. We have a love seat in the new house, but it is kind of cramped when you are falling asleep on it.

Gene

Hi, Gene; I hope this is the buyer that you have been so patiently waiting for. We also had to wait for our house to sell so we could bring our favorite furniture items up North.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 09-30-2014, 03:31 AM   #626
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Hope it all works out, Gene.

It has been a helluva long haul for you guys.

Maggie
Old 09-30-2014, 11:58 AM   #627
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Bob,

Are you talking about the Thunderbirds they made some time ago—maybe 10 years? They didn't sell well, but I thought they looked good. My father had 2 Thunderbirds in the early '60's, but I thought they weren't very good cars (his car purchases had a lot to do with whether he had a patient who ran a Ford or a GM dealer). You could get rid of the BMW, keep the Lincoln and buy a Tundra. Still have a Ford and a good truck. Every time I look at the stickers on new Tundras I gulp. Demand and prices are up a lot and I think I can wait for the next dip in truck sales.

We're going to check out new furniture. We might sell some of the stuff in Crawford and get new stuff, but we have to see what good quality stuff costs now. I also do not want to try to get the big desk with return out of the basement—it was hard to get downstairs and then I paneled the stairway and made it an 1 1/2" narrower. That was when I fooled myself into thinking that was our last house. The hoped for buyer liked the desk. No paperwork yet.

Still waiting for paperwork—lender lined up I hear, working out timing for a closing. I'm anxious.

Gene

Old 09-30-2014, 12:24 PM   #628
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, Gene; The Thunderbird SC's came out in 1989, Lee's was a 1990 model. This body style lasted until 1997. Lee's next Thunderbird was 1995 LX with a 4.6 L V-8. This was also a nice car. But as we aged, getting in and out of a low slung car wasn't getting any easier. I lost count and keep saying to myself that one day, I'm going try to remember every car that I have owned. For now I just say about 50. I did buy a used Toyota once; It was a little car with a 1200 CC engine. Served it's purpose at the time. If Toyota wants to sell more trucks, They need to lower the hood about a foot. It's not a one ton or a Kenworth. At a stop light, in my Lincoln, with a Tundra next to me, I can't believe how high the hood is. Toyota needs to put front cameras so the driver can see what's in front of them. The F-150 just might be my last [second] tow vehicle. Wife and I agree to try and get ten years and/or 100,000 miles out of our vehicles. I need/want some bed space, four wheel drive, more payload, and better than 10 MPG when not towing. Hopefully it will get better than 10.5 MPG while towing like my Lincoln gets. Used to get 11.5 until they added ethanol to the gas. Also going from a 119" wheel base to 145" wheel base might feel better. Of course since I have no problems with my Lincoln, I don't know how it could feel better. Kind of like those who never had a problem, but switched to one of those high dollar hitches and say that they tow so much better. I know they don't want to hear it, but I think it is all in their head. [pacifier]
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 09-30-2014, 02:07 PM   #629
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Holly Lake Ranch , Texas
Gene

Hope this is indeed the buyer you have been waiting for. I know it will be nice for you guys to be able to get on with getting on.....

Dana
Goal15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 07:16 PM   #630
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Oh Bob, the hood isn't all that high, but I won't say it is pretty. Our mileage is 16-18 when not towing, 10.5-11.5 when towing. Didn't realize the Thunderbird was so long ago. I've ridden in the original ones long, long ago and they were cool looking, but no sports car.

We have the offer, trying to figure out how to get more $ and not scare the guy away.

Rained more today. It sure is tough living in the desert with all the rain we get….

Gene

Old 10-02-2014, 12:34 AM   #631
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
We have the offer, trying to figure out how to get more $ and not scare the guy away.
Gene
Hi, Gene; That's a hard question to answer. How far off is he from what you want, or are asking for the house? Is it close enough to make or break the deal? Split the difference on the low side to make the buyer feel better. Maybe fix a few things? We had the water heater replaced with a new one and a few other things that the inspector found. We also paid for an insurance that warrantees the house for one year.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 10-02-2014, 04:05 AM   #632
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Take it and run...cut your losses and get the h--l out of Dodge....is my suggestion.

A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush....all that.

IMHO.

Maggie
Old 10-02-2014, 05:41 AM   #633
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Here's hoping the deal goes through and that chapter in your life can be closed. Good luck! Jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 02:45 PM   #634
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Never take the first offer is the first rule of negotiating. He has our counter offer and is checking with his lender and wants to look at the house again. I'm seeing if we can meet him there and work it out between us instead of sending paper back and forth.

I do want to get this done and stop losing money on keeping the place heated, water on, etc., but also want to get the best deal we can.

Gene

Old 10-02-2014, 03:18 PM   #635
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Boy, I hope you're able to get the place sold, Gene!

We've been very firm about our asking price, to the point of telling a couple of folks (in pretty blunt terms) to take a walk in short order. Indeed, the only way in which we indicate flexibility is with carrying a note, and even then we make clear that it'll have to be after a substantial down payment. So far after a few months on the public (not Airstream-only) market, we've got a couple of solid leads, and we hope one or the other will work out! (Alas, the discount program we run for club members will surely die. We'd hoped for a different outcome, but we can't really control that.)

If they don't work out, well, maybe I should tell them about this great place up at Crawford!

Lynn

Quote:
Never take the first offer is the first rule of negotiating. He has our counter offer and is checking with his lender and wants to look at the house again. I'm seeing if we can meet him there and work it out between us instead of sending paper back and forth.

I do want to get this done and stop losing money on keeping the place heated, water on, etc., but also want to get the best deal we can.

Gene
Old 10-02-2014, 04:52 PM   #636
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:

Gene
Hi, Gene; I found that in many of the things I tied to sell, sometimes the first offer was the only offer. That being said, Our first offer [flipper] on our house was a low ball with all repairs and expenses to be ours. [one way street, going the wrong way] We dropped our price by 10K and got quite a bit of interest in it. The first serious buyer, bought it. Anyway, I sure hope you sell your house. For us having two houses, especially at the distance of 900 miles, had some stress factor. Much happier now.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 10-02-2014, 06:55 PM   #637
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, Gene; I found that in many of the things I tied to sell, sometimes the first offer was the only offer. That being said, Our first offer [flipper] on our house was a low ball with all repairs and expenses to be ours. [one way street, going the wrong way] We dropped our price by 10K and got quite a bit of interest in it. The first serious buyer, bought it. Anyway, I sure hope you sell your house. For us having two houses, especially at the distance of 900 miles, had some stress factor. Much happier now.
Bob,
Confirm for me that I have this correct.

The flipper wanted to have you do all the needed work you'd normally expect a flipper to do, and then he'd sell it for the profit?

I want to know if that ever works. If so, I've found a new career,

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 10:24 PM   #638
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag&Au View Post
Bob,
Confirm for me that I have this correct.

The flipper wanted to have you do all the needed work you'd normally expect a flipper to do, and then he'd sell it for the profit?

I want to know if that ever works. If so, I've found a new career,

Ken
Hi, Ken; That's exactly it. The flipper low balled the price, on the proposed contract every check mark was on the seller's responsibility box, flipper had his own inspector, and flipper had his own escrow company. I'm sure he gets one here and there, but not mine.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 10-04-2014, 11:45 AM   #639
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
I might hear how this is going late today as the prospective buyer will be there with his kid and the kid's spouse. Our realtor automatically becomes a neutral transaction broker when a buyer comes to her, but we've worked with her before and it is hard for her not to be more on our side than his. This is a reality of human nature that rules and regulations have a hard time changing.

It would be a great birthday present for me if we can get a deal agreed upon today (yes that day is here again and when I see my age I can't believe it).

Lynn, send them here fast! Good to hear you've got the CG on the market as I know that has been a thought for a long time. Hope you can really retire soon and both of you are in good health.

Bob and Ken, yes I want a part of a business too where the seller pays for all the improvements and I get to sell it at a much higher price. We could call the business it a Wall St. bank and sell investment rated bonds too.

One irony in this is that 2 years ago someone was willing to pay, sight unseen, $5 K less than this buyer offered. Maybe he was a flipper. We had a higher price then, one that realtors told me was a good price, and I didn't bite at the offer. I wish I had known the future, a wish I have often had.

My back and leg keep getting better little by little—4 weeks Monday. A new study shows some people heal vastly faster than others depending on 3 proteins some have a lot of, some have less of. This is regardless of general health, exercise or anything else, though taking care of yourself helps too. I guess I'm on the better side of that. My leg is still showing weakness and pain, but it lessens and my guess it will take another month before it is not an issue. I continue to strengthen it on the treadmill.

In weather news, been in the 30's in the morning, ice on deck 2 mornings ago, sleet the morning before and snow on the mountains above 9,000'. Aspens are changing, a little late, but we had a heat wave a week ago. Looks like cloudless blue skies for the next few days (nice weather for a 2nd showing with apricot trees red and aspens gold around the house).

I'm hoping to next year start a new thread, jumping from 2012 t0 2015, and document travels.

Gene

Old 10-04-2014, 12:21 PM   #640
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

I'm hoping to next year start a new thread, jumping from 2012 t0 2015, and document travels.

Gene
Just switch the digits around and make it 2051. That way it will last until were both 108. We can throw a big party when you start the next one. We'll invite Bob, even though he'll still be just a kid.

Happy Birthday,
I'm pretty sure we were both born in the same year
Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote