Old 03-20-2012, 02:48 PM   #113
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post

Getting ever closer to listing the house. I took a bunch of new photos and have cropped, straightened and otherwise worked on them. Now I have to figure out how to tell a story with them. Since every website has a different number of photos, I have to create different stories for each.

Gene
Now, Gene, if there is anyone who can tell a really fine story---it is you!

Someone's going to grab that house, I just know it.

Maggie

Old 03-20-2012, 03:28 PM   #114
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Maggie, thanks for your confidence. We had to write the stuff on the listing because the realtor didn't do it the way we wanted. Then we had to supply photos because his were no good. Then I had to correct misspellings in the listing because the secretary had issues with being careful. We insisted he list it on Loghomes.com and he refused, then agreed, then never did it. I kinda feel like I already have done all this, but we press on, first with the log homes website. The guy who owns it is quite a character—I talked with him for a long time last week.

Gene

Old 03-21-2012, 12:32 PM   #115
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
After 5 1/2 hours at the computer I got the house listed on Loghomes.com yesterday. I had to re-write a description of the property and the shop, get all the information correct, look for typos and go through usual problems with these things. I had most of the details on the form and it disappeared, never to be found again. I started over and finally got to uploading photos. I had arranged them to tell a story—you see the house as you come up the driveway, go inside and see the major rooms (except for bathrooms because I don't have a wide angle lens for the camera), see the back yard with view of mountains, shop (with Airstream by it) and then a look down the driveway through the trees with a deer (we have lots of deer here). It would not save on their server and I had to call the owner. We finally got it solved. But the deer/driveway photo ended up #2 instead of last and I haven't been able to move it.

But step 1 is done! Next I have to decide just how to do the next steps with FSBO sites, all of which will take time setting up each site. I think I want to go work on the Safari floor today.

I hope this website is popular. It was recommended to me by a friend who browses it because of his desire to someday own a log home (not ours apparently). I also hope our listing attracts buyers. The website suggested not to disclose so much information because it doesn't whet people's interest and they don't call. But I like information and that is how I decide what to look for. I notice many of the listings on this and other websites do not use all the photos they can. I see on other websites realtor have crooked photos, dark photos that make houses look like caves, or do not include any pictures of the interiors—that kind of carelessness turns me off.

Anyone who has any suggestions for improvement would be appreciated. Here's the link: Feels like a log cabin, full sized modern log home for sale on loghomes.com

Gene
Old 03-21-2012, 03:08 PM   #116
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up Excellent...

Gene,

OUTSTANDING, my friend.

You have a beautiful home, you and your partner should be very proud.

Good luck in the sale it's a sooper listing.

Bob

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 06:42 PM   #117
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
Great property, and listing. If I wasn't already up to my wazoo in real estate...
WDCU
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 06:43 PM   #118
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Thanks Bob. Make an offer. We have a reservoir nearby for your boat. I installed the two FF pop in covers and they fit well. I have always hated those 8 screws and as a result don't clean the fan very often.

I cut some more things jutting out so I could fit the flooring under them rather than cut the flooring around them. The metal strips on each side of the door were a bit more difficult to cut—ending up using tin snips. Tin snips aren't made for metal this thick, but I got it done and filed down what I couldn't cut. I also resealed under the threshold.

We brought all the flooring down to the trailer and dry fit it (not cut yet, but you get the idea). Towards the end of it I was afraid I wouldn't have enough, but we ended up with 2 extra planks plus there will be a lot of half pieces. When I see how they fit, I may end up with 3 whole ones. There's enough for the bathroom, but I don't know how the toilet fits when raised almost 3/16". It is also more work than I'm up for, but we'll see. Because there are so many different widths along the hallway and down to the kitchen peninsula, I was afraid I'd end up with a narrow strip along one side, but it looks like it'll work out. Usually I start at one end of ae room, but because of these varying widths, it appears the best place to start is in front of the gaucho, work toward the bed along the varying partitions, then come back along the hallway toward the back.

Now that we have an idea how it will look on the floor, it looked good, much better than the sheet vinyl. it is heavier than the sheet, so I suppose I should weigh it to see what we are doing.

Next I have to build a jig for cutting the planks. I need a platform as long at the planks (about 41") with a space to run the jigsaw. I have to clamp the planks and a straight edge to use as a guide for the saw. I'm not sure this is a true jig, but it is a nice short word.

I've been beginning to think I'd never get to this stage, so I'm feeling pretty good. When I finish, then a table for the dinette is next. I checked the thickness of the partition between the bedroom and shower—it is 5/8" with a 7/8" space behind it. This should be enough to attach a TV mounting bracket with mollies. Though a 19" TV is pretty light, I wouldn't want to worry about it falling off. I looked up RV brackets (they lock when we drive) and the only one I found on Amazon was $109, but someone had posted a review saying they were around $65 at CW. I'll have to check when we are in Denver next week. A cheap 19" TV was either $128 or $138 at Best Buy. I'm sure I can get a better one for about the same elsewhere. The other thing I want is a wifi booster for the iPad. It has to be wireless inside the trailer because there's no way to plug in the iPad. I can attach a short antenna to the fridge vent and run the wire through to the fridge compartment to the cabin where a wireless transceiver could be plugged in. Now I have to find one.

Gene
Old 03-21-2012, 08:45 PM   #119
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Gene,

OUTSTANDING, my friend.

You have a beautiful home, you and your partner should be very proud.

Good luck in the sale it's a sooper listing.

Bob
X2. And, X3
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 11:08 PM   #120
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Blaine , Washington
Gene;

I assume that since you don't mention the quality of the schools that serve the area, you are not aiming this property toward families with children?

I understand how rural the location is but you might consider spreading the net a little wider.

Just a thought. Really nice pictures.

John
Old 03-22-2012, 02:28 AM   #121
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
I don't know where the days go. How can I be retired, not have enough time and be so busy and not feel like I got anything done? Maybe this is the answer: Age-Activated Attention Deficit Disorder - YouTube

Gene
And here I thought it was just me!
Old 03-22-2012, 09:56 AM   #122
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relentless View Post
Gene;

I assume that since you don't mention the quality of the schools that serve the area, you are not aiming this property toward families with children?
I tried to find the school ranking for the local schools online and couldn't. They must be somewhere, but by searching skills weren't that good that day. I think Crawford elementary ranked pretty high in reading, but I don't have the numbers. I have to go look again.

Apparently one of the other FSBO sites is hurting because they keep offering me more discounts. I have to follow up on that too.

Gene
Old 03-24-2012, 08:01 PM   #123
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Yesterday I had a couple of hours and built a unit to cut the vinyl planks on. I made it out of old OSB left over from a water bed we had long ago (I save everything) and scrap 2 x 4. This lets me clamp a plank and straight edge to use a sabre saw to make long cuts. It used to be, I'd get a "Formica" blade, but now they have "laminate" blades. The Formica blade cut on the downstroke, so it didn't tear up the brittle surface of the Formica. Regular sabre saw blades cut on the upstroke and cause tear out. The laminate blade looks neutral and cuts pretty smoothly.

The first two photos show before and after cuts have been made. After a cut, I ran some 150 sandpaper along the edge once or twice to smooth out any rubbery pieces left. None of these cuts are going to be seen, but it makes me feel better.

First, we went today to our political party county convention. I don't know if I can mention the party on the Forum, but I grew up in NYC, so guess. We both were chosen to go to the state convention next month. Our county is entitled to 15 delegates, and only 11 people wanted to go, so it was hard fought battle, but we prevailed. It will be in Pueblo, the day before Barb's mother's birthday, so we'll be there anyway and the place where it will be is in walking distance.

By the time we got home, we had some time to wash the 4Runner, and then I had 2 hours to work on the floor. We put down the planks a couple of days ago to establish a pattern of surfaces and see how it would go. Each plank was numbered and we put those on the floor too, so it was easy to pick them out and work on each one. The first piece took a long time since I am unfamiliar with this material. All I had to do on #1 was put a small curved notch in it below the fridge. It cuts fairly easily with either a utility knife or a carpet knife for things like that. For short cuts, I have to cut it 3 or 4 times to get through it, but that's faster to get around things like the bathroom entrance. For longer cuts, the sabre saw works great and cuts a much straighter line.

Each piece went a little faster and I've fit 6 so far. The three across the hallway at the carpet are done. The Velcro idea didn't work—too thick—it made a hump at the edge. I now have 24 1/2 feet of Velcro, a lifetime supply. I'm using non-permanent glue under each plank. It seems to hold it fairly well, but if I push too hard on an edge with no weight on the plank, it will move. The photo of the planks that are down looks kind of strange because of the flash bouncing off the fridge door and creating some unusual shadows toward the bedroom and the color is washed out near the camera because of the flash. The floor looks good to me, but will look a lot better when finished.

Gene
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0311.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	154238   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0313.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	154239  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0314.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	154240  
Old 03-27-2012, 10:15 PM   #124
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Blaine , Washington
Gene;

I assume, and hope, you all are well clear of the wild fire.

John
Old 03-27-2012, 10:36 PM   #125
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relentless View Post
Gene;

I assume, and hope, you all are well clear of the wild fire.

John
John,
Gene is about as far away from the current fire as you are from Mt St Helens. So I guess you'll both be fine, for the time being.
Ken
Old 03-28-2012, 11:50 AM   #126
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
I'm not as far as you think. We are near Evergreen, west of Denver. The fire is some miles south of here and south of US 285 and Conifer. The Hayman Fire in 2002 (maybe) was south of this fire and there have been other fires in the area for years. Part of the area is Pike NF and part is private land. When we arrived here on Monday we could see plumes of smoke, though since then we haven't seen much. We are about 30 miles north of the fire. It is a beautiful area and I can't blame people for wanting to live in the ponderosa forest, but it is a dangerous place.

Two people have died and a third is missing—first deaths in Colorado from a wildfire in decades. A "controlled" burn had been set in the area by the state Forest Service.

Our home, 250 miles west, is also in a forest and we are always concerned bout fire. The trees are cleared from around the house, but we still worry.

Gene