Old 03-07-2012, 09:58 PM   #85
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
The much anticipated photos have finally been downloaded and they are not miracles of creative photography.

1. Upper support removed. The back has a little factory sealant around two screw holes. The awning arm has been removed to make it easier to clean the support. I used paint thinner to soften the Acryl-R and a utility knife to scrape it off.
2. The subfloor, partially uncovered. The water stain can be seen running left to right in the center of the photo. The black around the edges is something used at the factory to seal the plywood; you can see, especially in #3 that many areas are missed and unsealed. This is very poor workmanship.
3. The area where the water has been coming from, just to the right of the trim (pulled outward a little) around the door. The stain shows darker than other plywood.
4. The lower support. You may be able to see water tracks from the melting snow prove whether the awning bracket was the culprit.

There was a little bit of snow today, but not enough to test the new sealant. Warm temps are coming again by the weekend and I hope to clean and re-seal all sorts of places. I might pour some water on the newly sealed brackets.

Gene
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0267.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	152805   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0265.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	38.8 KB
ID:	152806  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0264.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	152807   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0269.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	34.8 KB
ID:	152808  

Old 03-07-2012, 10:23 PM   #86
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Creative . . you crack me up. Okay, the shadows aren't obtrusive, Gene.

I do hope this round of work (and any the truck needs) leaves the way open for some pleasure-able travel (given the exigencies of a house sale) on short notice, even if a shorter leash.

Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 06:35 AM   #87
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up

Gene,

My narrow brain waves need a wide shot to put the pics in context. HWWW?
Guess the Classic layout is quite a bit different.

I see you had to take the lock wheel off also. Our awning never rolled up straight, the rear main support arm was not plumb. Had to move the arm forward about three inches, seal the lock wheel and support base.

Sad that every project brings to light other areas of...well you know.

Good luck..

Bob

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 10:36 AM   #88
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post

Sad that every project brings to light other areas of...well you know.
Yes, one thing leads to another….

Being simple mountain folk, we don't know what the Classic floor plan is. I removed the dinette table, one dinette seat and subwoofer. The door is to the left in photo #2 and we are looking toward the rear. Kitchen peninsula is on the left foreground. Gaucho on right.

I started on the top support and had to remove one arm and unlock the wheel. The lower support held the awning up while I dismantled the upper part. Clean the support, apply sealant to back of it and body, wait for them to set up, bolt it in place, lock it with the wheel, and then go to the lower support while leaving the one arm unattached. The upper support will hold the awning in place while removing the lower support. This required drilling out one rivet as well as unscrewing it. Putting it back together means levering one arm upward to mate the hole with the holes in the lower support. I used a smallish screwdriver to lever it. The holes in the arms for the bolts and capnuts appear to be threaded and it takes a long time to get them out and in. The whole thing took a long afternoon which included a lunch break and a trip to the hardware store for rivets. I still have to install one arm on the front because I lost a capnut.

We are talking about another trip to Ouray in late May. Last year we went to the KOA there for our 25th anniversary of the day we met (24th wedding anniversary is next month). It's a nice place to hang out and only a couple of hours from home. We'd have phone and wifi for e-mail if there is any interest in our house. We are going to Denver in a couple of weeks because we just have to go somewhere, anywhere before we are cabin fever victims.

Bob, I thought of another use for the Griot's borescope—self colonoscopies.

Gene
Old 03-08-2012, 11:00 AM   #89
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD FB
Holladay , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene
John,

I'm almost finished with gathering and organizing all the paperwork. I discovered I'll need a copy of the septic permit from 29 years ago, but the county should have it. The list of disclosures has grown exponentially in the past decade and is a pain for a seller, but very good for a buyer. I'll feel better about it when I buy a house. If I didn't have some background in real estate law, I'd find this overwhelming.

Gene
Disclosure is your friend. I've sold two houses, one in California and another in Utah, where over disclosing minor annoyances and past events saved my posterior. If I ever sell my present house the disclosure document will look like an encyclopedia, and there is nothing wrong with the house.
Old 03-08-2012, 11:22 AM   #90
Rivet Master

2005 31' Classic
Cleveland , Tennessee
Hey Gene:

I've never had the pleasure or opportunity to take the factory tour at the mother ship, but I'm wondering, looking at the photo's, if possibly the company only sealed the floor around potential areas where they thought there might be a problem? Additionally in our AS, I've noticed the linoleum flooring isn't "glued down" in certain spots, it sort of bubbles depending on the weather (expansion/contraction). When you were removing your old flooring, was it totally "glued" to the sub-floor?

If you choose to take on extra curricular activities with your borescope, might I suggest an appropriate cocktail, say maybe magnesium citrate, well chilled and on the rocks (the night before, I might add). LOL.

Terry.

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will take you there." Lewis Carroll

AIR #38011
TAC TN-4
NOVA
Steelegood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 12:15 PM   #91
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Terry,

The vinyl is not glued at all. I had read somewhere on the Forum a couple of years ago that they put a few spots of glue, and maybe they once did, but there was none under it in our trailer. The colder the climate, the more problems. As with so many things, workmanship is either sloppy, or people installing things (or their supervisors) know less than I do—and that is scary. If they glued the floor, would they know enough to use a glue that works in subzero temps and 120˚ days? Would the glue fail when the trailer contacts and the floor doesn't so much? When the service center fixed the hump in front of the bathroom cabinet, the tech told me he used some glue under it.

But you say you have linoleum and not vinyl. Sometimes vinyl is sold as linoleum, but they are very different products. Linoleum (name comes from linseed oil) is a better product. It is coming back into fashion, but I couldn't find any in GJ. GJ is not the town to find new ideas or products. After about 4 or 5 stores, my patience ran out. Maybe if I looked harder, someone would have carried it. Linoleum would outlast most trailers, vinyl doesn't come close.

We got two "pop 'n' lock" screens for our Fantastic Fans so we don't have to unscrew all those little screws to clean the screens. When I looked on the internet for them I couldn't tell whether the box came with one or two and apparently if you order off white you may get white and vice versa. So we found them in an RV store in GJ.

They look to be made by Fantastic Fan. So they sell you a fan with those screws that people don't like and then they sell you a better screen that pops in and out. Another definition for double dipping.

Terry, you are pretty close to JC—closer than us, anyway. Don't tell me you have a job and can't go—that's just an excuse. The tour is interesting and the best time is off season when there aren't too many people on the tour. Don the Tour Guy has been working at Airstream forever and is truly a company guy. The first time we took the tour I asked him about corrosion and he evaded the question. The second time the corrosion problem was so well known he sort of acknowledged it. He's very knowledgeable and does a good job.

It is really a small operation. They may be making around 25 or so trailers a week now and there aren't that many workers on the floor. They can't be experts at everything they should be. But you can kind of poke around in some places and the unfinished or partly finished shells are interesting to go into while trying not to get in anyone's way. I haven't felt I had enough time to really look at things. Photos are prohibited but we see them from time to time and I'm sure more will appear as people use phones for photos. Airstream is aggressively anti-union and there have been problems with OSHA in the past. Photos probably scare management. The tours have been Mon.-Fri. afternoons and take 2 hours. The two times we have done it were different. Sometimes they have European models and they are very different from what we are used to. The Canadian ones are different too (better axles, etc.) but there's no way I could tell the difference.

If you get things done at the service center and hang around the waiting area, sometimes an executive will come out and start talking to people. Or you can ask to see someone as I have (for some reason they seem to know who I am). You will also meet other owners there or at the Terraport. The sewer connections at the Terraport are at the back of the trailer since the trailer drains used to be there and you need an extra long sewer hose.

Are you going to go to the balloon fiesta this year? I only saw you there once last year. We haven't decided yet and there is plenty of time to sign up. They reserved 50% more spaces (150) than last year.

Gene
Old 03-08-2012, 03:08 PM   #92
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Blaine , Washington
When is the balloon fiesta?

John
Old 03-08-2012, 04:08 PM   #93
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
John, arrive Oct. 5 and leave Oct. 9. The Fiesta goes on for the rest of the week, but the Four Corners Unit has the first days.

I don't know that it has been announced yet on the Forum rally page. I got an e-mail because we went last year. It is a really cool event. Cost is $341. I think we will go because Barb wants to and I, of course, do what I'm told.

Gene
Old 03-09-2012, 10:45 PM   #94
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Blaine , Washington
Smart man.
Old 03-10-2012, 10:23 AM   #95
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Barb sent in the first half payment yesterday for the Balloon Fiesta. Although you can back out before Sept., I think we are committed.

Meanwhile things kept going wrong yesterday—ISP died many times, 20 minutes waits for someone to answer the phone, then get hung up on. Called again and left a message to call back—they never did. Our only way to get high speed broadband here is a wireless company called Skybeam. They keep getting worse and aren't upgrading when they have to. Also tried to get information from an FSBO website—they don't answer their phones either. Not answering the phones is like locking the doors most of the day if you have a retail business.

To clear my head, I went to the trailer, vacuumed the subfloor and put a coat of polyurethane down to seal it. Today I'll put a coat of Danish oil and maybe one of polyurethane on the quarter round and hope the color comes out close to the partitions and certainly no darker than the flooring (don't want it to stand out). I have to cut down the threshold and clean it up (4+ years of walking on it means a good sanding is necessary) and then coat it too. I have to cut it so the new flooring can fit under it. I may also have to cut around the bathroom door so the flooring can slide under the trim. I'll use a biscuit saw for that.

And wash the trailer so I can put more Acryl-R on. The motor vehicles could use a washing too. I looked through the real estate listing for houses from $300-700,000 yesterday and there are almost twice as many on the market as 6 weeks ago. Two have sold in that time and they were the two cheapest on the list. At the other end of the county there are a bunch of new listings of really big houses for very low prices. It is as if there were a bunch of foreclosures all at once, but I haven't looked more closely ro see if they are bank owned. The bank owned houses are very cheap and go fast and are depressing the market.

But it feels like spring.

Gene
Old 03-10-2012, 12:51 PM   #96
Rivet Master

2005 31' Classic
Cleveland , Tennessee
Hey Gene:

Well, not going to JC....?, not excuse's, just short of available vacation days since I still belong to the working class, and probably will forever! I feel I see more & more people abusing the system that some of us have been paying into all our lives. Me for one (almost for 40 yrs. now), and I don't believe SS will be there in the next 10 yrs or so when I can retire (but that is another soap box for me to stand on). Sorry, got off track, anyway too many choices in traveling adventures. However, and coincidentally, we are going to Alumapalooza this year! Some say it sounds "lame", but I view it as "you don't know till you go!", we are also going next week to the Cajun Caravan which pretty much uses up my vacation days for the year! Ergo, no, we will not be at the Balloon Fiesta, however, I have to admit, I (for one) really enjoyed it (I also plan to go again.... sometime) and highly recommend it for anyone. The 4CU really provides a great opportunity to attend a worthwhile and memorable event. IMHO the bike ride needs some tweaking, but...., now looking back we laugh at that experience! (just glad to say we we weren't in the last half of the group that "disappeared").

As for me stating that my "linoleum.....", well, I guess I'm using that particular word as a generic term, as I really don't know if I have linoleum or vinyl! Guess I've never "examined" it that close! Funny, you would mention the "pop 'n' lock" screens, I've been considering them for a while! Thanks for that info! Useful, to me anyway!.

Again, good luck w/ the house. We had planned to sell ours but just when we were ready the whole economic picture took a dump. Our 4000 sq. ft. house that was once worth close to 400K, Well, now we would be lucky if we could unload it for 250K (we live out in the country on a hillside w/ 4+ acres). As of today, we are not in a "have to" or "need to" situation, so we are waiting it out. Good luck on yours. Additionally, thanks for the pictures, I'm learning a lot each time I get on the forums!

As for the computer & electrical problems: well, I subscribe to the theory that there are larger forces in the universe than we think, and I believe some of your problems might be a "result of one of the most powerful solar storms we've had in the last five years that was unleashed a few days ago after a massive solar flare erupted from the sun. Space weather scientists are closely watching the sun’s activity as the storm could interfere with satellite communication and power grids."
Regards, Terry.

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will take you there." Lewis Carroll

AIR #38011
TAC TN-4
NOVA
Steelegood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 01:34 PM   #97
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
It could be the solar flare, but initially it seemed the problem was with land lines they use, but I couldn't find out much because of their terrible "customer service".

To tell linoleum, cut it and see if the color goes all the way through; if so, linoleum. Vinyl color is only on the surface. Linoleum wears for decades and can still look good. The vinyl surface wears much faster. For a trailer that isn't used nearly as much as a house, this is not a big problem.

We had an appraisal just before the crash for the house and 5 acres that was just about as much as we think we will ask for the house and 37 acres.

Gene
Old 03-10-2012, 04:47 PM   #98
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Classic FB
Fredericksburg , Texas
Selling the house

I thought I would get to that today. Hah! Also have to finish everything for selling the house and actually list it.

Gene,
The last two houses we sold were while were on trips. Moral: Enjoy life and get in the Airstream.