Old 12-26-2014, 09:33 AM   #715
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
Even though my great-grandfather lived in Montrose and my grandmother was born in Trinidad CO, I came to SW Colorado via southern California and that makes me an outsider after 25 years of residency!

However, there has been an interesting political movement in several small SW Colorado bergs involving environmentalists. Their organizational skills have resulted in the take over of county commissions and town councils. The good old boy network is pretty much dead in these areas. To a person, the enviros have migrated from larger population areas and brought their brand of politics with them. Makes for some interesting community forums.

Old 12-26-2014, 02:54 PM   #716
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Dennis, yes I worked with one of the La Plata Co. Commissioners in the mid-oughts on oil and gas issues and also with OGAP during that time. But Durango is much different from Crawford. The ski and tourist towns like Durango, Breckenridge, Dillon, etc., are full of newcomers with very different political agendas than the good ole boys. We don't care for the traffic and crowded feeling of those places, plus housing is very expensive in them.

Grand Junction is all together different. It has never been a wealthy place and has experienced a boom and bust economy for generations. Housing is relatively cheap here. It is a good place for seniors, although we go to Denver for the best surgeons. But for workers, wages are lower than any other urban area except Pueblo and the best leave for better money and amenities. Denver is booming and attracting well educated young people who easily find jobs there. Without a research university and with mediocre schools, they and high tech companies don't come here.

Gene

Old 02-24-2015, 01:44 PM   #717
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Road Trips fans: I finally started a new thread— http://www.airforums.com/forums/f42/...ml#post1585378

No date after Road Trips, so I don't have to start another one every year.

Gene