Old 11-17-2014, 09:49 PM   #687
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, Gene; After our house was finally sold and the dollars showed in our bank account, we felt a big relief. It was just too much to own two houses, especially at a long distance between them. I hope you and Barb feel the same relief that we felt.
That's what we're planning.

I'm not letting you two guys scare me.

Ken

Old 11-19-2014, 12:57 PM   #688
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Ken, be scared, very scared. If you get a cash buyer, be very happy. Hope for a blind, deaf and dumb inspector. Lenders come up with crazy stuff to look like they know what they are doing—they can screw up any deal. Good luck.

Closing this afternoon and no problems have come up today. I, too, will be very happy when the money shows up in the bank account.

Moving last big stuff went off easily yesterday except I couldn't find the U Haul place in Grand Junction to return the truck until I called U Haul and asked where it really was. The directions given me when I rented it didn't make sense. The directions I got on the phone didn't either, but gave me a clue. So I headed back towards Bus. I-70 and while waiting for a light, I looked over to the right and saw U Haul trucks parked behind a music store hard to get to. How to get there with a divided highway? Go the wrong way and turn around down the road and hope my ride was still behind me. Did it, dropped it off, no extra charges.

Came back to Little Park after buying big muffins freshly baked downtown to celebrate, put some more stuff in order, went out to dinner with friends who helped us move and then went to see Birdman and stayed up talking late.

A notre about Birdman. I don't like Michael Keating, but in this movie he was really good. The movie is weird and I thought there were too many attempts to hit the viewer over the head with points that were made. It appeared to be fantasy inside of fantasy, or a play inside a play disguised as a movie. Was the main character psychotic? Maybe. Was the real victim the play critic who pontificated from her barstool? Did Keating really fly? [Doubt it.] Interesting and somewhat long movie. Glad we went as it was a test and I think I passed it. Didn't really grab me, but better than most movies in many months. St. Vincent had good acting too though thin plot.

After closing I'll eliminate my book mark for "home weather" since it will not be home. We have a leaking seal in the solar hot water, so a plumber is coming tomorrow to fix it since it started leaking a couple of days ago. Nothing about this feels easy. Some has been easy, but the whole experience has been another test.

I will be planning scores of road trips for the future all winter and have already started. More immediately I found a comparable snow plow at half the price of the Meyer one. I hope the sale is still on by the time I get to it again.

Gene

Old 11-19-2014, 01:13 PM   #689
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Okay, Gene....be sure to post here when it is a done deal, because I am going to have a glass of wine and make a silent toast to perseverance and hangin' in there.

There are some rallies this direction where you would be a very welcome and honored guest, so think about that.

Maggie
Old 11-19-2014, 04:41 PM   #690
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
We had a conversation today down here about brush cutters. Thought of the snow plow dilemma as the health threat of what moves thru fast growing four foot grasses is no joke. Hope the sale is on, indeed.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 08:52 PM   #691
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Dallas , Texas
Inquiring minds want to know! Did the deal get done?

Goal15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 06:29 AM   #692
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Maybe they've been celebrating.

Maggie
Old 11-21-2014, 04:14 PM   #693
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Just starting to sober up (no, just busy).

Closing went smoothly and money was transferred to our account the next day. Today I found the Quicken Loans system has a daily limit on "additional principle", so I paid off part on the new house today, more tomorrow. Since I got that loan so cheap (2.875%), I will not pay it all off and invest it instead. The amount I held back is the amount left on the mortgage we took on a lot we sold and I'll pay the rest down as the payments on the lot (at a healthy 6.5%) come in. Yes, I am acting like a bank though I don't get paid $10 M/year to be CEO.

We cleared out the remaining stuff yesterday and cleaned up. The plumber came many hours late and didn't have the right stuff with him even though I had explained what was needed. Supposed to be back today and fix the leak. It is a coupling that was installed incorrectly and finally started leaking after 15 or 20 or more years. Why couldn't it wait another week? The bill will be the absolute last of it.

The 3 day process (moving big stuff, closing, cleaning) became anticlimactic and I think we are emotionally drained by all this. No big whoops of joy, just glad to be gone. We did the rural thing and are glad to be gone. We've lived in downtown areas of big cities, suburbs, exurbs and rural. We realized we need to be close to a city and although Grand Jct. is not very big (60,000), it is big enough and small enough. Since we are far above the city and 10 miles away, we feel we are in the exurbs (and are), but 20 minutes from just about anywhere we go. Ideal, great views and a house we like for now.

We used to think we had selected our last house, but we don't say that anymore since the newest one would be the 3rd "last house". Life doesn't go according to plan. We are not suited for rural culture. It felt backward and though we made some close friends, most people are politically very different. We did have some good friends of a different political faith, but most of the others don't want to have anything to do with our kind. They say how friendly they are, but when you say what you believe, they aren't friendly anymore. Grand Jct. is also politically different, but not quite as much and there are more of our kind, so that helps. Those with our political views here say when some people find out what party they are registered for, they are shunned. And the local letters to the editor can get very insulting and ugly. Polarization is nothing new in the US and will eventually calm down, but it is going to take a while. I just wish people didn't have to act like people of the other party are subhumans.

The infamous cat has become more used to a strange new house and has started his incessant noise that may be how cats talk, but just sounds like whining and crying and then multiply it several times to get the whole effect. I wish he had remained scared of the new place, but he's settling in. He may be asking to be let outside, but he's not getting out until he sneaks past us. Barb can figure out how to get him back.

Maggie, rallies may or may not be in the future. It all will wait until next spring. A winter of trip fantasies awaits. We generally travel on our own drive far and wide and don't get to many rallies. When we do, people look for me because I guess I am famous. I wonder if I should have a speech ready or do a little dance, but I'm just another dull old guy and don't have much to say. I'm not quite as awkward as my hero, Doc Martin, but I'm working on it.

For now, I have to catch up on stuff ignored until the house got sold and be real about exercise. And just a bunch of remodeling projects….

Gene
Old 11-21-2014, 04:27 PM   #694
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Dallas , Texas
Gene

Congrats on the house sale. Love the Doc Martin reference. He is must watch tv at our house.

Enjoy your winter of trip fantasies.

Dana

Goal15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 05:55 PM   #695
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post

Maggie, rallies may or may not be in the future. It all will wait until next spring. A winter of trip fantasies awaits. We generally travel on our own drive far and wide and don't get to many rallies. When we do, people look for me because I guess I am famous. I wonder if I should have a speech ready or do a little dance, but I'm just another dull old guy and don't have much to say. I'm not quite as awkward as my hero, Doc Martin, but I'm working on it.

For now, I have to catch up on stuff ignored until the house got sold and be real about exercise. And just a bunch of remodeling projects….

Gene
Of course, and understood........but, if you ever take a notion.......and you won't have to dance, unless you feel like it.

Hallelujah, the house is SOLD!....

Enjoy,

Maggie
Old 11-22-2014, 01:10 AM   #696
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
Am so glad that marathon real-estate odyssey is over.

Yay, Gene!
Old 11-22-2014, 06:02 AM   #697
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
Gene, it's wonderful to hear that the house is finally sold! Congratulations!

Tom
Old 11-22-2014, 11:08 AM   #698
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
I'm realizing I don't have to make the 170 mile round trip to pack more stuff and clean more stuff. That was 2 or 3 days per week that felt wasted. I know it saved us thousands in moving expenses, but the cost of maintaining the house (gas and wear and tear on vehicles, mortgage interest on new house, heating and cooling, water bills and fixing things that inevitably break) was more than that. The emotional drain was more apparent, especially while remodeling a house. If you want to test a marriage, move and remodel simultaneously—I guess we passed. It is our 3rd remodel together, so we keep testing ourselves. Traveling together in a tin can for weeks and weeks is nothing compared.

Doc Martin is a BBC "programme" that we see on PBS on Thursdays at 8 pm MST. There were also some previous movies. I think they were made for TV. It is strange and funny and sad too, but the humor and character development are the best parts. You may recognize quirky characters you have known, especially if you have lived in a small town. Like other ensemble series, there is the quirky town with many strange locals (Northern Exposure paved the way for this type of series). It was done over 8 or so years with breaks for a year or two between new groups of episodes. I think it is winding down and new episodes may or may not be done in the future. I found a deal on Amazon for the whole series to date plus 2 of the movies at a low price. Before we transferred satellite TV to the new house all we watched was PBS (except for SNL and national news) and that's how we discovered this series. We had trouble understanding the accents, but with the DVD's we can get the dialogue onscreen and know what is really going on (I know it should work on satellite, but I couldn't get it to work). So we watch the most current episodes on Thursday night and older ones on DVD's and just have caught up to where we started on PBS months ago. This leads to a great deal of confusion on remembering what happened last week or years ago. My first impression of this series was that is was really odd and then I got hooked. Once I got the DVD's and could understand the dialogue, the hook went in deeper. Now if I could only understand the dialogue on Dr. Who—we are not really good with English accents.

Now to continue catching up and fantasizing about trips.

Gene
Old 11-22-2014, 10:34 PM   #699
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, Gene; I'm so happy that the money is in your bank account. Maybe now I can sleep ay night. No, wait; I'm done, you're done, now I have to worry about Ken.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 10:55 PM   #700
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, Gene; I'm so happy that the money is in your bank account. Maybe now I can sleep ay night. No, wait; I'm done, you're done, now I have to worry about Ken.
Don't worry about us. Susan and I have decided to approach this with the "everything happens for a reason" philosophy. It beats the heck out of pretending you have some control over all of it.

Ken