Old 10-06-2014, 04:30 PM   #659
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly at Night View Post
Wow, Gene. It's good to come back and be greeted with such good news.

Happy, happy birthday!
I intend to milk my birthday, birthweek and birthmonth for all I can get. Then my 1/4, 1/2 and 3/4 birthdays. Fortunately for her sanity, Barb ignores me. I will also celebrate the closing on the house in mid-November which is a few days before Barb's half birthday.

Gene

Old 10-06-2014, 08:18 PM   #660
Islander

2005 28' International CCD
Deer Harbor , ORCAS ISLAND WA
it's a good feeling

selling the house…getting a contract and getting thru the inspections, appraisals, and all the other items that have to get right or no money.

we sold ours in the first week it was on the market and we are awaiting a closing date…a remote closing….and then money in the bank…..

WBCCI 2541

4CU
kingfisher24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 12:28 AM   #661
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
The house was on the market for 4 years and 5 months. There are other houses that have been on the market just as long. Rural America still struggles with Great Recession and the buyer lives in western Colorado, but has a successful business. We expected someone from the big city who wanted a retirement house, but we'll take this one.

Got to get back to unloading the pickup. Barb carries the heavy stuff and I help with the light stuff or to carry furniture (not the really heavy stuff). That's what is great about a young trophy wife—they are strong. The bad thing is she's still 8 months away from Medicare. And she's always beautiful. She knows she can't stop me from helping, but keeps a close eye on me so I don't hurt myself.

By moving for over a year, we can figure out where things go slowly instead of having a gazillion boxes piled up and not knowing where to start. I'll bet Bob still has dozens of boxes from his move to Oregon, but I'm sure he's glad to be away from those 100˚ temps in S. Cal.

Gene
Hi, Gene; We are getting closer to the bottom of the rock pile and taking another trip to Goodwill tomorrow. I spent the day, yesterday moving things around so I could make room for two vehicles while we take our trip. I didn't count the boxes, but it looks to be less than two dozen.

Picture taken tonight.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC05130.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	249.8 KB
ID:	223856  

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 10:58 AM   #662
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, Gene; We are getting closer to the bottom of the rock pile and taking another trip to Goodwill tomorrow. I spent the day, yesterday moving things around so I could make room for two vehicles while we take our trip. I didn't count the boxes, but it looks to be less than two dozen.

Picture taken tonight.
Bob,

While planning for our potential move, I did some rough discouraging calculations. Our total distance is close to 1300 miles one way. My plan was to buy a used covered utility trailer (approx 16 feet) and then sell it when done. However when I roughly calculated the fuel and lodging, I was coming up with around $1000 round trip. I am wondering if that's cost effective. It would take several trips, Judging from my last two drives out and back, I think I may die of boredom. Have you tracked any of your self moving expenses? On top of this I am sure we would need to hire a moving company for the large furniture.

Ken
Old 10-07-2014, 11:58 AM   #663
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Hiring a moving van is very expensive—friends who moved from one house to another in Grand Jct. spend about $2,000 for a short trip. Interstate moving is much more. When we moved enough stuff to live in the new house, we rented a truck, filled it to the gills and the cost was about $200 for the truck and a young man who helped us load it. Two friends helped us and we bought them dinner. We (us and the two friends) unloaded and were exhausted, but nothing was broken). If you have as much stuff as we have (hard to believe anyone has that much stuff), you are in for a shock.

We also moved ourselves from the Front Range to Crawford. We rented a truck and trailer, but moved the rest ourselves with a small pickup and a 4Runner and some help from friends and relatives which included a few trips with their pickups. It was grueling at times—250 miles each way and many, many trips. Nothing broken though.

There's a lot of desert between Longmont and the northwest. You'd better learn to like the desert, Ken. There are also a lot of bad restaurants along the way and you'll have to figure in the costs of motels because towing is slower and it will take at least two days each way, maybe three. And then there is winter. A blizzard in Idaho could stop you for days. You should have bought our house—only 300 miles each way.

We had a discussion with friends about moving cats. Barb's standard procedure is to put an open pillow case on her lap, lure the cat onto her lap, pull the pillow case up before he realizes it and then put the pillow case with cat in a box and close the box. Sometimes it works. We put the cat and box in the truck, cover it with a towel because cats feel safer in the dark and don't scream as much and take him to the vet or move him. After we let him out he hates us both for weeks and tends to ignore the cat box to punish us. We have to turn an outdoors cat into an indoors cat and I know that will make him crazy and us too. We'll all be taking Prozac for a while. We haven't had to do that for years, but Barb put out the cat carrier we have used to see if he would make friends with it. He remembered though, stayed far from it and then ignored his cat box to punish us for even thinking of using the carrier. Barb bought a new box to carry him and plans to see if he will like it. I predict a hard time with this too. When cats see you are trying to put them in a carrier, all legs go out and they fight you. They are very strong for an animal that sleeps most of the time and wiggle and fight like a mountain lion. What can you expect from an animal that likes to torture rabbits?

Gene
Old 10-07-2014, 12:12 PM   #664
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Dallas , Texas
Quote:
Hiring a moving van is very expensive—friends who moved from one house to another in Grand Jct. spend about $2,000 for a short trip. Interstate moving is much more. When we moved enough stuff to live in the new house, we rented a truck, filled it to the gills and the cost was about $200 for the truck and a young man who helped us load it. Two friends helped us and we bought them dinner. We (us and the two friends) unloaded and were exhausted, but nothing was broken). If you have as much stuff as we have (hard to believe anyone has that much stuff), you are in for a shock.

We also moved ourselves from the Front Range to Crawford. We rented a truck and trailer, but moved the rest ourselves with a small pickup and a 4Runner and some help from friends and relatives which included a few trips with their pickups. It was grueling at times—250 miles each way and many, many trips. Nothing broken though.

There's a lot of desert between Longmont and the northwest. You'd better learn to like the desert, Ken. There are also a lot of bad restaurants along the way and you'll have to figure in the costs of motels because towing is slower and it will take at least two days each way, maybe three. And then there is winter. A blizzard in Idaho could stop you for days. You should have bought our house—only 300 miles each way.

We had a discussion with friends about moving cats. Barb's standard procedure is to put an open pillow case on her lap, lure the cat onto her lap, pull the pillow case up before he realizes it and then put the pillow case with cat in a box and close the box. Sometimes it works. We put the cat and box in the truck, cover it with a towel because cats feel safer in the dark and don't scream as much and take him to the vet or move him. After we let him out he hates us both for weeks and tends to ignore the cat box to punish us. We have to turn an outdoors cat into an indoors cat and I know that will make him crazy and us too. We'll all be taking Prozac for a while. We haven't had to do that for years, but Barb put out the cat carrier we have used to see if he would make friends with it. He remembered though, stayed far from it and then ignored his cat box to punish us for even thinking of using the carrier. Barb bought a new box to carry him and plans to see if he will like it. I predict a hard time with this too. When cats see you are trying to put them in a carrier, all legs go out and they fight you. They are very strong for an animal that sleeps most of the time and wiggle and fight like a mountain lion. What can you expect from an animal that likes to torture rabbits?

Gene

With all due respect, I'd call that grounds for getting a dog!

Dana
Goal15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 12:40 PM   #665
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
Gene,
I think you need a course in Catology. Right now we have only 3 but they all travel with us everytime we take the Airstream. They all ride in the back seat of the truck. They have worked out who sleeps where and are very accustomed to long Multi Day day trips. We were at one time up to 7 cats. At that time however, 5 stayed home and were visited by a pet sitter twice a day. Our cats at the present are only allowed outside in the yard with direct supervision, because two of them will visit the neighbors yards. One of them will absolutely not set a paw outside the property. He's quite content with being here.

In any case,
Thanks for all the encouragement.

Ken
Old 10-07-2014, 12:48 PM   #666
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Weatherford , Texas
Getting a cat in a carrier

Quote:
When cats see you are trying to put them in a carrier, all legs go out and they fight you. They are very strong for an animal that sleeps most of the time and wiggle and fight like a mountain lion.
Gene
A trick I learned when our daughter worked at a vet's office…

Open the carrier door and set the carrier on end so that the door side is up.

Pick up the cat by the scruff of his/her neck and lower him/her into the carrier hind feet first.

Use your free hand to remove the front feet from the edge of the carrier, if necessary.

When the cat is all the way to the bottom of the carrier, let go, jerk your hand out, and close the door quickly.

Once the door is secured, slowly turn the carrier right side up and apologize to the cat.

The reverse method gets them out, should they be reluctant to leave--happens at the vets office. Open the carrier door, then slowly rotate the carrier door side down. Cat gets dumped out, gently.

Good luck!
Old 10-07-2014, 03:47 PM   #667
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Barb has a book on how a cat thinks. I question whether they do much thinking, but many years ago I had a cat that I found on an outside door knob trying to open it. I don't know how he stayed on the knob. I locked the door after that; he couldn't figure that part out. We tried the scruff of the neck thing once but he struggled so much we couldn't get him in the cat carrier. Then it took days before he would get near us. For a while he hid behind the washing machine. I thought of putting him in the washing machine, but didn't try that. We had to cancel the vet appointment. They told us it happened all the time.

Ken, are you sure they are really cats? Even if I could train a cat to stay in the back seat, I would fear he would decide to sleep under the brake pedal because it looked safe to him. I have seen cats on a leash. The cat is usually at the end of the leash digging his claws into the ground and being dragged along by the owner. Perhaps you would like to train Barb's cat.

We like dogs, but they are hard to travel with. You can't leave them in the trailer, you can't leave them in the truck in the summer and you can't bring them into most restaurants. They want to please you while cats wish they were bigger so they could eat you. I have had too many cats in my life, always because of women who bring one home. I can't train them either.

Barb's cat follows her around and falls asleep in her lap. He allows me to live in the same house and even lets me pet him when he sits down next to the dining room chair while I eat. He tries to get me to chase him when he's outside. I should be glad he doesn't bring us dead bunnies to share, but once had a cat that did. If he sees a mouse in the house, he ignores it, but outside he's a killer. I'd rather have him inside all the time because cats kill so many birds, but if you don't open the door, he makes so much noise I want to pierce my eardrums. He's the smartest cat I've ever seen. He'd have to be to survive outside with feral cats, coyotes and other wildlife. How he'll adjust to the inside life will require patience and possibly pierced eardrums. We have a neighbor who gladly feeds him while we are away and even after 2 months on the road, he shows up when we drive up and jumps into Barb's lap. He knows something is different because we have been away so much while living in 2 houses. He loves being outside, but now that it is getting colder and he is older, he'll want to come inside and that's when we pounce. Maybe I can borrow one of those dart guns the wildlife people use on bears. If not, he hasn't figured out the pillow case trick—yet.

Despite my antipathy to cats, I don't kick them, throw them or otherwise mistreat them. Like any living creature, they deserve kindness. I used to know someone who put their cat in a typewriter case (remember typewriters?) and swing cat and case around their head. Then they let the cat out and watched a dizzy cat wobble around. I believe they all were on drugs including the cat. Maybe the cat liked it because how else could they get him in the case a 2nd time? They called it astrocat. I haven't done that either.

Gene
Old 10-07-2014, 04:46 PM   #668
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Dogs require more care and attention than cats, that is true, but I have never understood the attraction to cats and therefore would never own one.

Your apt descriotion of cats reminds me why I don't care for them.

Dogs, on the other hand......

Maggie
Old 10-07-2014, 04:47 PM   #669
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
A local vet uses her sign board to post quaint sayings about pets....the all time winner: DOGs HAVE MASTERS... CATS HAVE STAFF

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 10-07-2014, 06:42 PM   #670
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Weatherford , Texas
The scruff of the neck thing works only if you take the cat completely off it's feet and let it hang. The trick is to turn the carrier vertical so that you are lowering a semi-helpless cat into a bucket, so to speak. I learned this from some vet techs who did it every day for a living. Of course, they didn't have to live with the cat afterwards.

I find my cats forgive me along about the next meal.

I did the cat in a bag trick once a long time ago. That cat ran away and stayed gone for a solid year.

Independent creatures, those felines.
Old 10-07-2014, 09:31 PM   #671
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
1999 34' Excella
Davidson County, NC , Highlands County, FL
Quote:
. I have seen cats on a leash. The cat is usually at the end of the leash digging his claws into the ground and being dragged along by the owner. Perhaps you would like to train Barb's cat.
Gene
This reminds me that I once saw a lady walking a cat on a leash in a campground. A nearby dog barked, the cat panicked and ran up the owner's leg and around her arms until the shortness of the leash stopped the cat's upward progress. Then the cat really panicked and clawed, and clawed, and clawed. It was not pretty. I'll bet that cat owner never walked that or any other cat on a leash again.
Old 10-09-2014, 03:08 PM   #672
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Somehow the leash stories brings to mind the idea of a cat in a harness on a zip line.

Gene