Old 07-05-2014, 07:59 PM   #575
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
But, Gene, the problems in our lives are the issues we face.....whatever they may be, they're ours, and affect us, worry us, stress us.

Sure would like to see you get that house sold and your back straightened out. Seems like it's all been dragging out way too long

My friend here in MN also has debilitating back issues, facing surgery once insurance will approve payment. And, arthritis in her hands so bad she can't lift anything heavy. Other issues non-medical, but worrisome and stressful nonetheless. In some respects, make my own problems this year seem minor.

Would seem that, if you try to be a good person and live an honest, productive life, things should be smoother. They're just not, for whatever reason.

Seems like there are always burdens to bear, for all of us, of one sort of another. I'm sorry for yours, and sorry for mine. If I could fix them, I would.

Hang in there, one foot ahead of the other, every day, doing your part, and trust that it will all work out however it is meant to.

You have friends here, you know. We listen to and support each other, good times and bad.

I'm pulling for you.

Maggie

Old 07-06-2014, 03:59 PM   #576
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Thanks Maggie. Seems like we all tell each other the same things and it is always helpful to hear them. I have one friend whose wife moved out 2 months and they are trying to heal; another whose son died in an auto crash just before Christmas and I keep in touch with the wife of a friend back east who died last October after what appears to be botched surgery (makes me nervous about surgery). Then there's the recent losses suffered by Forum members. We talk to the survivors the same way and they say the same things to us when we tell them about house selling, remodeling and back (and other medical) issues.

We are all in this together and helping each other through stressful times helps each of us. The "Golden Years" aren't always golden and as we age, we tend to need more and more help. Some people don't have anyone, or at least anyone who cares enough, to talk to and share with. So, we are lucky to have each other whether on a Forum or next door or thousands of miles away via e-mail or phone.

Spent some time this morning taking out deer fences around some of the more mature trees we planted more than a decade ago. We use fencing material attached to T posts to make about a 6 square foot box ("tree jail" as we call it) around the tree. Eventually, no matter what we do (ground cloth, wood chips) to prevent weeds inside, they grow anyway and the fence and tree make it hard to keep the area looking good. Removing a T post can be difficult, but I realized just digging down about 3 or 4" around the post and pouring water in the hole helps. The water lubricates the post so it can be pried out with a long shovel used as a lever against the post. Still takes some work, but only an Olympic weight lifter can pull these things out otherwise. If you don't put fences around young trees or bushes, deer sample the leaves and, in winter, the branches. If the deer don't like it (they usually don't; they are grass eaters) they spit it out and then may come back months later and try it again—deer are not too bright. They can denude the lower branches and even girdle the tree when they get really hungry and try to eat bark. Once the tree matures, they usually leave it alone. But then we wrap some fencing material loosely around the trunk to discourage them just in case the bark looks tasty after a hard winter.

It hasn't rained here in a couple of months except for one or two sprinkles. We irrigate the trees as much as we can with the water we have, but some rain would really, really help. Going for long periods without rain or snow is normal here, but it is always stressful when nothing falls out of the sky. A fair amount of snow and rain in late spring made for rapid growth for a while, but we need more now. Now the earth is starting to crack from drying out completely. I never thought I'd live in a desert. It doesn't look like the common perception of a desert—no sand dunes, but lots of trees and grasses plus sagebrush, but it fits the desert definition. Much of the west is a desert and we love the low humidity (except when our skin gets too dry), but anxiety about when snow and rain will return is the norm.

Gene

Old 07-06-2014, 07:38 PM   #577
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
Gene, use a high lift jack and a short piece of rope or chain to pull the T posts....rained a quarter inch on the fourth and again today.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 07-06-2014, 08:29 PM   #578
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Dallas , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis4x4 View Post
Gene, use a high lift jack and a short piece of rope or chain to pull the T posts....rained a quarter inch on the fourth and again today.

Ditto that The ONLY way to go!

Goal15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 09:59 PM   #579
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
I'm sure if I were taking out scores of T posts, that would be efficient, but for 6, we got them out pretty fast. Did you mean a bumper jack? I haven't seen one since my father's '85 Toronado. An engine jack? None around. Shovel and water easy to get.

Lots of clouds, some lightning, a little thunder, no rain.

Gene
Old 08-23-2014, 07:05 PM   #580
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Rain and more rain—may be about the wettest August ever on the western slope. I kind of feel like I'm in the northwest, but a month of rain here is like a day or two there. To get a whole day of rain here is very unusual—we may get torrents for 30 minutes, drizzle on and off for half a day.

I've been busy trying to get as much of the master bedroom finished as I can before back surgery in 2 weeks. This is outpatient surgery to remove one cyst in the lowest vertebra. There was a 2nd cyst there, but it disappeared. That is very rare, but I'm not complaining. My leg pain gets better and worse, worse and better, depending on how hard I'm working. I am tired of this and hope things improve. The first surgeon we saw wanted to put in 4 screws, fuse 2 disks, trim off bone and change my oil and filter. He also seemed a bit hyper. He said if only the cysts were removed, they would come back. I did some research and the studies show a 1 to 20% chance of that. The studies with the most people had the lowest percent recurrence. I am told that surgeons in Grand Junction want to do more than those in the big city—whether it is because of inexperience or a need for more income, or maybe it is just a myth. Then we saw a surgeon in Denver and he said he had never seen cysts grow back. So I made an appointment, made arrangements with my internist for some tests beforehand and got lodging near the outpatient center. Then they switched my appointment plus never answered a lot of questions. I raised hell about that—they were very apologetic. Rescheduled, changed other things and got more time to finish the bedroom (figure I'll be lying around in it for a while). But we felt the surgeon was the right one for the procedure even if he's too serious, doesn't tell me much about recovery and works at a group where they screw up appointments and other stuff. The important thing is he good with his tools.

When the surgeon thought I had 2 cysts before he saw a 2nd MRI, he said the procedure would take 90 minutes. Maybe less now. No one tells me much about recovery except to say don't do this and that. No one tells me what I can do. The instructions about pre-op stuff from the doctor's group and the outpatient center are quite different—great communication. They all seem very inefficient. No wonder medical care in the US costs much more than anywhere else. It is supposed to take 6 weeks to recover. I may go nuts sitting around. I will finally finish Picketty's nearly 700 page book on inequality. It is pretty easy to understand for a book on economics (economic history so far) and fascinating.

It feels more and more like we've moved. We switched satellite TV to the new house and started taking our 21 plants. I don't know when the cat comes too. He will not like that at all if Barb can catch him and get him in a box. He's 14 and still semi-feral and very strong. We now spend 5 or 6 nights at the new house and 2 at the old one. There have been many showings, but people are very picky and we haven't found the right one. Styles have changed and many people want lots of giant windows and super-modern design. A cozy log home in a relatively remote area doesn't seem to have the appeal it did before.

We took one more trip to Grand Mesa quite a while ago and spend 3 peaceful nights there. Now we have to winterize the trailer—strange to do in August. Not being able to sell the old house plus my back has made it really hard to travel. But we've had so much time to move things in our pickup and SUV, we will save a lot of money on moving.

But the bedroom is past the halfway point. It took over a month to finish the panels so they would be ready to put up. They go up pretty fast, but the moldings take a lot of time. And the electrical work can be slow. I also built a soffit to frame one part of the room better and to relocate a light. Quite a change from tan drywall and plain white moldings. I hope to get one more wall done before I'm cut on. But next week we have to put in the window well covers, drill another hole in the back deck to allow water to drain better, winterize the trailer and cut the rabbit brush that is taking over the driveway. We also found a new door to the deck—wonderful Art Deco glass design. We wait for sales and one finally came on this one—we ordered it just as they discontinued the design. We also decided to replace more electrical receptacle plates with another Art Deco design and they just stopped making them. I ordered more from a company that still has them. Seems like we are going out of style again.

Maybe I'll remember to take some photos.

Gene
Old 08-23-2014, 11:46 PM   #581
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Update.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, I can't go back a forth like you can. We have about 900 miles between us. We have been doing things around our old house and I have to take a trip soon to get some things done at the new house. I needed to have my furnace repaired/updated and that cost me quite a bit. I had to move a large cabinet to uncover the floor hatch. Today I moved it back. We also re-located a huge framed mirror. I have a bracket that I made so the mirror won't fall off of the wall and it also puts a nice tilt on it. Maybe I could put a snow plow on the front of my new "Powermover". It's pretty heavy and has five wheels. I have to take care of business up North, finish my washer/dryer install, buy and install some other odds and ends, and bring a small U-Haul trailer loaded with stuff with me. Hoping to make my trip next week. Had plenty of things that had to be done around here and seeing my Dentist on Tuesday will hopefully be the last so I can go.
Hi, Gene; Since my last post, on July 3rd I had my back surgery to remove all traces of Basal Cell. I previously packed a small U-Haul trailer with lots of stuff. Brought it to the new house and flew back home for my surgery. I flew back up North and my son-in-law brought a trailer load of more stuff up here for me. Flew back South to sell our house and we hired a mover to bring even more stuff up North. Each package, box, or piece of furniture was numbered. We had 100 items, mostly boxes of stuff. Since we had nothing left, we had to drive Lee's car, packed to the gills, two people and a dog. Will we ever get everything unpacked and find places for them? Or will we give more stuff away. We still don't have a fenced in yard and we don't want coyotes to get Boo-Boo. we left the inside door to that garage open at night so Boo-Boo could take care of business in the garage. I bought a new door and had it cut for a new doggie door. Boo-Boo wouldn't go through it. Forgot how to use a doggie door? Well long story still long he uses the doggie door now. We had to buy things that we didn't want to move and / or not worth bringing. My first project was to build a book shelf for the kitchen. Had to be a size that no-one made, so I built it. I hope I'm done with surgeries and never want to move again.

(1.) Boo-Boo's new doors. [inside house]

(2.) Boo-Boo's new garage ramp. [inside garage]

(3.) New book shelf that I made.

(4.) Another view of book shelf. [today I painted it white]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04763.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	134.1 KB
ID:	219650   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04764.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	130.0 KB
ID:	219651  

Name:	DSC04801.jpg
Size:	140.9 KB
ID:	219652   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04802.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	188.5 KB
ID:	219653  

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 06:38 AM   #582
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Good luck on your back surgery, Gene.

Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Maggie
Old 08-24-2014, 07:41 PM   #583
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Thanks Maggie.

Bob, bookcase looks good. I have to build one in the master bedroom, but can wait until November. The bedroom one is because the previous owners didn't design the wall the bed backs up to for a king size bed and 2 nightstands. So I have to extend the wall at nightstand height outward into a passage that is very wide, fortunately. I hope I can do as nice a job as you did. I'll put tile on the top to make it look cool. We also decided to tile over the dull window sills and found some porcelain tile on sale. The tile for the top of the bookcase and the tile over the doors was also on sale. Lowe's sale items are decorating for us at bargain prices.

The weather has changed. We mountain folk can feel winter coming in late August. The days shorten fast from now until November, temps start dropping, and in the southwest, the monsoon. Lots of rain lately, much more than usual, and things are looking less brown (a false spring). Cloudy days mean cooler temps than a few weeks ago. Fall is a wonderful season in Colorado and we look forward to it, though it has begun.

Gene
Old 08-24-2014, 11:40 PM   #584
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, I also was going to put tiles or something on the window sills of our old house, but somehow it never happened. Today I painted Dusty's door and brought Lee's book shelf inside. We will let the paint cure for a few more days before putting things/books on it. My secret is to buy good wood and use Kreg pocket screws.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC04818.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	150.5 KB
ID:	219729   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04821.jpg
Size:	148.6 KB
ID:	219730  

Name:	DSC04819.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	110.4 KB
ID:	219731   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04820.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	134.0 KB
ID:	219732  

2005 Safari 25-B
[ Small Silver Castle ]
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 08-25-2014, 10:27 AM   #585
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Bob, don't forget the glue! Pocket screws are great though I've never done them. I may be able to do rustic carpentry, but furniture is a big stretch for me. I like to sink screws and put wood plugs (sometimes called buttons) over them. I like the way they look and I don't need a special tool for pocket screws. But you have to sink the screws just right or the plug can sink too much, or use rounded ones that have a lip so they can't sink in. You also have to drill a perfect clean hole and Forstner bits can prevent tear out, but in soft wood you can still get tear out. Mortise and tenon are also somewhat beyond me, but I may try dadoing the shelves in and doing something like that on top. I'll use tile on top that matches the tile over two doors.

We would have used the same color tile on the sills, but it was a close out item and closed out before we could buy more. We bought a more neutral tile for the window sills that comes closer to matching the colors there. Now we have to see how many tiles we need for the "great room" and see if we can buy enough close out tile for that. Because the original sills don't stick out much, and the paneling extends the wall out 3/4", the molding under the sill comes out further than the sills, so I have to close the gap with tile—I'll probably tile right onto the old sill and across the gap. Using 6" bullnose tiles, I can cut off the back side so it fits over the old sill, the gap, the wood molding and extends out enough to cover the thin tile strips I'll attach to the molding. Those strips are the ones I'll cut off the bullnose tile. You can use the special (and expensive) counter edge tiles, but they are ok for a kitchen, but too much for a sill. Tile is a cheap way of accenting areas and looking a bit more special (as long as you already have the tools).

By the way it isn't really a "sill" on the inside. The piece in front of the window commonly called a "sill" and the piece on the wall under it are called the "throat" and the "horn". I can't remember which is which.

Gene
Old 08-25-2014, 07:20 PM   #586
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, sill is good enough for me. Watching the house builders, I hear all kinds of terms I never heard of before, and will never use. I like the pocket screws because they are pretty well hidden and make a strong joint. I don't use glue because if something happens to a piece of wood, I could cut another one and screw it back together. That's my thought even though I have never yet done it.

I just had to look it up because I forgot; One of the framers calls Sap. Pitch. I sat on a board and got some sap on my pants. They told me that WD-40 would remove it but I didn't bring any chemicals with me. I have to start all over again. One can at a time as needed. I still call it sap.

2005 Safari 25-B
[ Small Silver Castle ]
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 08-25-2014, 08:09 PM   #587
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
I'm not saying it is correct. However, I've always called stuff that comes from deciduous (hard) wood sap. It its dripping from coniferous wood, I call it pitch.

Here's more ideas.

What’s the Difference: Pine Sap, Pitch, or Resin? | DOWN and OUT

Ken
Old 08-26-2014, 05:10 PM   #588
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Sounds like you 2 saps have pitched your stories.

I could not resist the opportunity for multi-punning. It resinated with me and I'm going to stick to it.

I tiled the first sill today. It looks quite elegant.

Gene