Old 02-07-2012, 10:30 AM   #43
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
We like Rivers Trading Post on Canyon Rd. The people there are always friendly even if you don't buy anything and don't have 100 dollar bills falling out of your pockets. There's also one in Scottsdale and in Ill. There are a lot of cool things in the various galleries and we do like looking at historic Navajo rugs. Some of the galleries are very snobbish, some aren't. We have made whole trips based on going to trading posts in the 4 Corners area, but it is dangerous. We love Navajo rugs too much.

Didn't finish the market survey yesterday. After reading about all the stuff for each house and looking at scores and scores of photos, often taken very badly, I got filled up. The gigantic bank owned house down the road (builder was foreclosed on) hasn't sold and the price was reduced a lot. The photos are terrible, no landscaping, cheap interior, but it is the closest house for sale and is really big. The builder's own house will probably be next and is also nearby, but it isn't so enormous.

I have to check the Safari floor today. The vinyl pops up during the winter into long humps and gets a bit worse over time. One place in the bathroom was fixed at JC a couple of years ago, but another hump appeared last winter. That one is in the middle of the floor and goes from the kitchen counter to under the table. This is caused by improper installation of the vinyl sheeting with no places for expansion. It happens in cold climates. Fixing this is difficult because trim (quarter round primarily) has to be installed over the floor at all the partitions, cabinets and such. Last year the worst hump flattened out as it got warm, but the one from two winters ago in front of the kitchen counter is permanent. I am going to check out rubber floor tiles, but the prices are pretty high and they may not look very good. The ones I saw online are 1/8", so I wouldn't have to remove the vinyl though I would have cut away slivers of it to provide for expansion. I may fix the kitchen counter one, but I'm not sure if the one in the middle of the floor can be fixed. It hasn't re-appreared yet and we haven't had many subzero nights this season.

Gene

Old 02-07-2012, 11:03 AM   #44
Commercial Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
...we do like looking at historic Navajo rugs. Some of the galleries are very snobbish, some aren't. We have made whole trips based on going to trading posts in the 4 Corners area, but it is dangerous. We love Navajo rugs too much. ...Gene
Gene, have you gone to the rug auction out at Crownpoint? We haven't, but I'd sure like to some day. I've shopped at the Bashas shown in the map below (they have my favorite hot sauce there), but didn't bother to run down to the school.

Crownpoint Navajo Rug Auction, Crownpoint, New Mexico

Lynn

Old 02-07-2012, 11:51 AM   #45
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Lynn,

No. Some years ago we were going to go, but the date on the auction website was either wrong or I read it incorrectly. This auction happens monthly and once was known for bargains, but I am not sure that is still true.

We have been to the auction at the Hubble Trading Post outside of Ganado, Ariz. The profits go to an Indian scholarship fund. It is held in the spring and early fall or perhaps very late summer. The Trading Post is now a federal historic park and is an interesting place to see how they used to look. They always have a lot of rugs there, many pretty old. The auction, last time we were there, a couple of years ago, had about 400 items, mostly rugs, but also jewelry and pottery and some other items. Most are Navajo, but there are also Hopi and I think some Zui items. There are also vendors who are selling the same things.

There were some very good deals for buyers a couple of years ago; not so much for sellers. Items over $200 were going slowly or even had no bidders. A rug from the famous Crystal Trading Post (long gone, ruins can be seen if you can find them), probably a century or more old, got no bidders at around $4,000 or $5,000. A few years before, that rug could have brought more than $10,000.

Auctions are something like a party, but not a party we can afford to go to very much.

Gene
Old 02-07-2012, 11:59 AM   #46
Commercial Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Yes, it's hard to tell what you're going to pay at auction. Probably depends on how many buyers from the galleries in Santa Fe are there.

I've been to Hubbell a couple of times, but not during an auction. The one side room off the store has big piles of rugs, but all too rich in price for my meager wallet. By the way, John Lorenzo Hubbell was born in Pajarito in 1853. The old Hubbell house was just down Isleta Blvd. from where I grew up.

Hubbell House Alliance (HHA) - Home Page

Lynn
Old 02-07-2012, 12:12 PM   #47
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Lynn,

I spelled Hubbell wrong again. Hubbell had, I believe, two wives at the same time. Barb told me that because she read a biography. I didn't know about the Hubbell House.

His house at the Trading Post is full of historic rugs and the two times I have seen it, I never had enough time to study them.

How's the snow at Angel Fire?

Gene
Old 02-07-2012, 12:19 PM   #48
Commercial Member

1967 30' Sovereign
The snow is not too heavy this year. The resort has plenty of snow for the flatlanders to play in, but, frankly, I'm not a big fan of digging ourselves out of this place in heavy-snow winters.

Lynn
Old 02-07-2012, 05:03 PM   #49
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Lynn, we just broke 30". Those are drought numbers.

I checked out the Safari floor and a rubber floor is doable, but there are challenges. The tiles sold by Lowe's on their website are 1/8" thick and that might been possible on top of the vinyl, but fitting it under the cloth covered cabinet doors could be difficult. The entry door threshold would have to be modified too. A biscuit cutter can do things like that pretty easily (that is a power tool to cut spaces to join wood with "biscuits"; these are not edible biscuits).

But the Flexco ones are 18" x 18" and tile that large usually looks wrong in narrow spaces. I might need 3 packages which means about a grand not counting adhesive and trim. I'd have to cut spaces around the vinyl to prevent further expansion and either leave it in place or take it up. The vinyl is about 1/32" thick. I can leave the vinyl in the bathroom and that makes it easier—I don't have to remove the toilet.

I may fix the humps and check out alternatives for future use. I have been interested in rubber floor tiles for years, but they aren't easy to find in stores around here. Some are interlocking ones used in gyms, garages and for foot strain relief on concrete floors. They are ugly. There are nice ones for residential use, but I haven't seen them anywhere yet.

Gene
Old 02-07-2012, 06:12 PM   #50
Commercial Member

1967 30' Sovereign
You know, we used those self-stick tiles when we redid ours. It was in some ways a good idea, but in other ways a mess.

Good: Since the tiles are not physically connected to one another, stretch and shrink from temperature fluctuation is not a great problem.

Bad: The self-stickiness stinks. Most of the tiles popped off the floor within about a year of moving here, where the winters are a lot more harsh. As they popped off, I glued each of them back down with "monkey snot," which is holding a lot better.

Lynn
Old 02-07-2012, 07:43 PM   #51
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Lynn, obviously the self sticking tiles did not have exterior glue. So, did you bring a monkey with a cold to the trailer and have him sneeze on each tile?

Gene
Old 02-07-2012, 07:47 PM   #52
Commercial Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Oh, Gene, monkey snot (sometimes called 3M Weatherstrip Adhesive) is used for automotive interiors, but works well to glue down one side of a gasket in engine applications.

See the color of that stuff? That's why.

Lynn
Old 02-07-2012, 08:21 PM   #53
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up

Elephant here and it's snot yellow.....black.

Bob

After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but Im the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 01:05 PM   #54
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
We went to Home Depot in Montrose yesterday and looked at flooring. This is a small version of the typical HD, so selection is limited. No rubber flooring. Some linoleum interlocking planks. They are flexible compared to other laminate styles and much lighter. They seemed to be 3/16-1/4" thick and I don't know whether they needed an underlayment. They only had 2 styles and neither was appealing. Before I buy anything in a big box store, I have to find out as much as I can because the people who work there may or may not know anything.

Linoleum is appealing. It is very durable, natural product, but sometimes the flooring is actually vinyl and called linoleum. Apparently this isespecially true of "linoleum" tiles. Linoleum is having something of a comeback now that they have modern styles, but some manufacturers are willing to call vinyl "linoleum" to sell it.

Ideal would be moderately sized tiles that interlock and float. The self sticking tiles use, as Lynn wrote, an interior glue that will fail in a trailer once winter sets in; they might fail in 100+ degrees too. Some of the interlocking systems on tiles (probably vinyl or other products—not clear) we saw don't actually lock, but use self sticking glue to hold the tiles together. This glue will also fail.

Rubber and linoleum are not easy to find at big box stores because they still aren't a big seller. Cost can be high because they are not a big seller either.

Sheets are attractive because there are no seams, but imagine cutting out all the various protrusions in a trailer. I wouldn't it. One mistake and the whole sheet is ruined. This is why the factory lays the vinyl sheets down first—no serious professional level cutting. Planks also mean more cutting and more waste in a trailer. Tiles are easier to work with. The hardest thing to do with such flooring is make sure every tile or plank is firmly against the next or eventually they will move apart and you will see lines stretching along the entire floor. Professionals screw this up too. Part of the problem is the subfloor expanding and contracting. Floating, interlocking tiles solve this.

The problem is finding such tiles at a reasonable price and with a variety of acceptable colors. Interlocking planks might be a reasonable alternative. There are many more stores in Grand Junction, but it is still a small city and may not have much either. We don't have a trip to Denver scheduled for a while and haven't decided if we really want to do this now. Of course, vinyl is still a possibility—many vinyl tiles are much better looking than the OEM vinyl. Vinyl is also cheaper.

House—we settled on a price, have to get back to working on the FSBO thing. I have to organize all the information in files, something I hate. I have to write all the legal stuff that will attach to any counteroffers and that means reading all the state forms very carefully. Not very interesting work, but can save a lot of problems.

Gene
Old 02-10-2012, 01:41 PM   #55
Commercial Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Gene, look for the kind that is solid with the color scheme all the way through. For starters, it's effectively stratch proof since scratches won't show. In addition, I found that it is very easy to carve the stuff with a good pocketknife to fit into odd corners and nooks.

Lynn
Old 02-10-2012, 04:18 PM   #56
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Gene, may I suggest Lumber Liquidators? They have some very interesting floorings. I have used cork a number of times now and next week we install some of their bamboo.

Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote