Old 10-09-2013, 12:25 PM   #491
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly at Night View Post
Thanks for the heads up about "In a World." The art of the movie trailer is often more interesting than the entity.

Don LaFontaine Tribute: King of Trailer Voice-Over from TrailerMash and Ryan Perez
In a world where mutants roam the devastated lands of what was once a balloon fiesta….

Gene

Old 10-09-2013, 01:08 PM   #492
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Question

Gene,

Was it not a 10-10 experience this year?

Whenever you comment on the Albaquirkey Hot Air Balloonfest, it brings to mind the question... what is it thats keeping DC grounded?

Bob

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 09:13 PM   #493
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
what is it thats keeping DC grounded?

Bob
Answer: High winds from the South.

This is our 3rd night in Santa Fe. First, one more movie review: "Rush" is about two Formula 1 drivers competing for the championship. Since I think I've seen every movie storyline before, I don't pay that much attention to story, but do pay attention to cinematography, acting—the more technical stuff. So this movie had good cinematography and better than average acting for a movie of this type (not much of compliment). Lots of speed, exhaust noise, crashes, just liked I wanted. The Thor guy (movie Thor, not RV company) was one of the lead actors and actually could act in a role which was not challenging. A Walter Mitty experience for old guys. A fun movie for us, no awards will ensue. It wasn't in 3D at this theater, so I don't know if it would be better that way. 3D gives us headaches sometimes and is rarely worth the extra money.

Three movies in a day and a half was enough. We went to Tecolote (Spanish: Owl), a local favorite, and I had another good huevos rancheros breakfast. Each one is different wherever you go. I've always preferred green chile to red, and now more and more restaurants have it without meat so I can order it. Barb likes red and the eternal existential question in New Mexico, "green or red?", cannot be answered here.

Today was endless hours of shopping—3, I think. I do not have a tolerance for shopping. A store on the Plaza is going out of business and I got a belt for 70% off—it started at a very high Plaza price, so it was a bit discounted according to reality. Otherwise, except for shopping for trucks, lumber and hardware, shopping is just not what I want to be spending my golden years doing. But I survived, and exhausted, fell into a deep sleep. Watching politicians speak on TV, instead of counting sheep, I count lies—works much faster.

Tomorrow we go home. Snow tonight up there (same thing happened last year), but not much more than an inch and warm enough to melt off by afternoon. We have 2 to 3 guests coming this weekend, so we have to go the whole way (about 340 miles), though I'd like to be irresponsible.

Fridge working fine on 120 v. Traveling, it will be cold tomorrow, so not much of a test for the propane option. And the wifi here has ranged from dead to slow to super speedy.

Gene
Old 10-10-2013, 09:52 PM   #494
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up

Men shop...
Wimen brows...

Bob

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 03:35 PM   #495
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
We've been home for a while. Whatever snow fell just before we started northwest, disappeared and the roads were dry and pretty empty. It was good to get home and spend part of the weekend with guests doing not too much (winterized the trailer, but after 6 years, that is simple and quick).

Then we went home (so many homes, so little time) to Little Park (above Grand Junction) with the trailer. The area in front of the garage is not too big, so I had bought a front hitch along with all the other necessary parts to be able to maneuver the trailer between an embankment and the garage. So we drove to Grand Junction and then up and up and up—some pretty steep grades, lots of curves, but no worse and maybe easier than the California northern coast, and a lot shorter, maybe 5 miles of steepness. No problem with that and then up the recently graded driveway (cut it a little tight, and had to back up to miss a fence post) and onto the top in front of the garage.

Could I do it without unhitching and without using the front hitch? No harm in trying. Back and forth, back and forth, gradually moving the trailer east and not hitting the roof overhang on the garage, not hitting the embankment or anything else. After about 5 minutes, the trailer was parked perfectly, the grading was perfect and level and we were home (again and again).

Instead of having to walk at least 150' (maybe 200') to load and unload the trailer, or ferry stuff in the SUV, the trailer door is 10' from the side door of the garage. There is a 20 amp receptacle just close enough to the trailer (really no need for 30 amps unless we were living in it) and I have to figure out how to get water for filling the fresh water tank and sanitizing the system. So, that is convenient. We are used to taking November trips (though not this year) and we want to see how quickly this road and the driveway dry out after early snows.

For six years we have seen the trailer at our old house, but now there's nothing there. That is strange.

I haven't looked at the photos I took at the Balloons. Maybe I'll eventually post them. Now playing catch up on maintenance in Crawford and thinking of cutting some firewood.

Gene
Old 10-22-2013, 08:46 PM   #496
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Photos of balloons—

1. During the weekend most balloons went directly south over the Airstream village. Our trailer is the one with the balloon spinner hanging from the front rock guard.

2. Many landed just south of us on a parking lot or ballfields. Better than going to downtown Albuquerque.

3. Yes, they were close, but not this close (mild telephoto lens).

4. Darth Vader was close and it appears a storm trooper was piloting.

Gene
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	198542   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	45.9 KB
ID:	198543  

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	32.2 KB
ID:	198544   Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	198545  

Old 10-22-2013, 08:49 PM   #497
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
And more balloons—

1. Reflection in our window.

2. New this year—hummingbird.

3. Darth Vader lands just behind the Airstreams.

Gene
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	5.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	34.2 KB
ID:	198546   Click image for larger version

Name:	6.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	23.6 KB
ID:	198547  

Name:	7.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	198548  
Old 10-22-2013, 09:48 PM   #498
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
Gene and Barbara it was good to see you again at the balloon festival. I remembered seeing you a couple of years ago as I had been following your posts. I don't think you remembered me but then, I am pretty easy to forget.

Glad to hear that you are home safe and sound. We ended up covering more than 4800 miles and 12 states on our journey. We had to take our Tundra in to have the tires balanced in Bishop, CA. Like your experience, it mad all the difference for the rest of our trip.

This thread has lasted 36 pages. I suppose that has something to do with the fact that "formerly known as" Crawford Gene started it.

Best wishes for the sale of your property and the continued health of both of you. By the way, we ran with our refrigerator on the whole trip and never had a fire or an explosion.

Dick from Spokane, WA
Old 10-23-2013, 03:30 AM   #499
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
5-10 minutes to get it parked? And a comparatively short walk to & fro afterwards . . that's worth taking a break and re-concentrating for the final few feet after a trip. A really great payoff like that should help (avoiding contempt through familiarity). I often joke with other drivers that we aren't paid to drive, just to back: A few hundred miles here or there and it comes down to those last feet of accurately getting that semi into place. Poor backing in that instance isn't just possibly hitting or running over something, but also penalizes one in a slower un-load. Two-part. Glad yours is similar, that carrot & stick.

Sure beats the front mounted hitch discussed a while back.
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 08:24 AM   #500
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Dick, you are right, I didn't remember you, but I remembered "aftermath". I don't remember anyone, so you needn't feel special. It was good to get reacquainted and maybe we'll be in the same place again in the future. I set the pages to have 100 posts on each one, so it is only 5 now. I guess I'll have to get beyond 2012 someday.

'Mover, backing would be easier if I did it a lot—I get better by the end of the season, but then a winter break and I'm terrible again. I guess I'm keeping the front hitch just in case I need it. I'm still getting used to looking at the trailer every time I'm in the bathroom.

As for the remodeling job, may have gotten the drywall finishing job done—really hard to fix someone else's mess. And started on sealing the edges of the deck—drilling through porcelain tile is not easy—tile, then thinset (mortar), then metal—have to change bits 3 times for each hole plus make sure the aluminum L channel holes line up properly. Today, maybe, install the first 8' with bolts, stainless steel washers to prevent corrosion, and lots of gooey sealant. Later, I have to put drain holes in the low spots in the deck. All this to save the thing from rot underneath and prevent ripping it out and putting in the redwood deck I'd rather have, but costs thousands. Maybe we'll get a coat of primer on the walls. Will go into Grand Junction and pick up paneling for part of the room where the drywall was so bad, it it is easy to cover it though paneling is far more expensive than paint. Sometimes I have to consider the labor expenditure. Probably can't do all of this in one day, but I keep hoping—also meeting friends for dinner and maybe a movie.

Gene
Old 11-29-2013, 09:14 PM   #501
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
We've been wrapped up in remodeling, maintaining the old house and all the vagaries of life. It's been time to cut firewood (I used to do it in the summer, but every year I get deeper into fall. All the easy to get wood has been got, so I have to go deeper into the forest. Fortunately, a friend cuts deep fall every year, but doesn't have a wood stove, so I get part of the wood. That has been ll cut, so now I have to go searching.

The market for the Crawford house is terrible the past few months. Friends with similarly priced houses are not hearing from anyone. The craziness in Congress and the fact that mortgage rates have gone up about 1.5% since last winter have hurt the market. It is getting to be time to rewrite the listings.

We're moving along on the remodeling project. The unfinished room now has been painted and ceiling molding installed on 2/3 of it. The window is trimmed. I've finished about 45% of the aspen paneling (sand smooth, 3 coats of polyurethane) so it goes up fast. 98% of the ceiling is done—gotta wait for the paneling and that part of the ceiling molding to be installed first. The sink and built-in cabinet have been removed—the sink will go to a resale store, the cabinets are now installed in the garage. That provides a workbench and storage for RV supplies and other stuff. The cabinets were screwed and bolted to the wall (4" screws, 3 6" lag bolts) to prevent the house from b;lowing away when we get a hurricane in western Colorado. Amateurs characteristically install too many screws and nails—glad I've gotten past that stage to be merely incompetent. Lighting is done and 1/3 of the tile is down. The doorway to the hallway has been exposed—it has been framed and then covered with drywall in case they ever wanted to put a door in that side of the room. The problem is that it wasn't framed properly—only one stud on the hinge side, so I have to strengthen it somehow. We ordered a French door for that opening.

We were looking at tile in various stores. We found really nice tile, but it was expensive for an exercise/sewing room, so when we walked into Lowe's, we saw glazed porcelain at about $1.30/foot—half the price of the really nice tile. That's cheap and it was good enough. It is kinda dark, but we'll use darker grout to make it looked lighter. Since it has a glaze, it'll reflect some light. And we'll make a diamond design in the middle with some left over tiles from another project long ago.

So, the order of things, more of less, is finish laying tile, wait for mortar to dry a few days, grout, wait to dry, remove doors to workshop and installed a 2 pair of folding doors (takes less space), finish rest of paneling, install work sink and tile around it with left over tile from this house, do baseboards and trim around paneling, install French door, build closet (taking space from a really big workshop) with shelves from upstairs, place to hang clothes and door into shop. I might make another closet on the workshop side since it would be easy to do with 3 walls already. This should be done in far longer time than I want it. After this room is finished, the small main floor hallway needs beadboard wainscotting, new doors and might be a good thing to do next. The shelves for that closet come from the hallway from kitchen to garage—that will be turned into a mudroom with bench, hooks for coats, shelves and places for dirty boots and shoes.

But that could tie me down for a while and I should do the bedroom first. Once we have all our furniture there, it will be much harder to remodel. The "great room" would come next, but even when fully furnitured, it won't be as hard to work in.

And that deck—after looking all over town, I found a diamond drill bit (1 3/8" diameter) that matches a standard sink drain tailpiece—so I drilled through the deck in one of the valleys that has developed, sealed with a supersealant, and installed one drain so far. About a week ago, I discovered h ow the wind blows—it snowed maybe 4-5" and double that piled onto the deck where it can melt and seep through the deck. Do I put up some snow fence? Ugly. Put up a barrier on one side of the deck to deflect the wind? Ugly and difficult. Cut a hole in the wall around the deck to let the wind and snow blow through? Might be easier, though not so legal. And I have to finish the polycarbonate that is over the window wells with handles, hooks to attach them and a support along the wall to hold one side up. Pushing up against winter on outside projects and trying to concentrate on finishing a room fast—winter is winning, so I have to juggle it all.

We now have a post office box in Grand Junction—they don't deliver mail and charge us for a box in the city because they expect to drive a dozen mile 'round trip to a post office in the wrong direction where we can have a free box. I will try to get this changed—first a letter to the US senator who is running for re-election next year. Slowly moving things to the new house—mail, phone numbers, etc.

So, there isn't much time for the Forum. I don't look at new threads very much and just follow the ones I have been for a while. I must be a month behind on TinCrumpet's thread and there must be a bazillion posts I haven't read.

Gene
Old 11-29-2013, 09:31 PM   #502
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
And some photos—

1. Our trailer safely parked between the garage and a sandstone bench.

2. Mostly finished end of room.

3. Cabinets installed in garage and already getting filled with RV gear.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	200939   Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	35.2 KB
ID:	200940  

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	200941  
Old 11-30-2013, 07:39 AM   #503
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Nice work, Gene!

You have been a busy boy, and it looks lovely.

Hang in there, and drop in here when you can.

You may be gone, but are not forgotten.

Maggie
Old 11-30-2013, 10:52 AM   #504
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Thanks Maggie. I'm not quite gone, just reoriented. I'd love to sell the old house and get on the road and post stories of our adventures, but not yet.

I also have been struggling with our Verizon data plan. Despite all sorts of promises we wouldn't use that much data and have to pay extra, we were using more and more and still not playing games, downloading movies, watching u-tube and doing other dat eating things. We called them and they said not to leave windows open all the time because they kept communicating and using data. We tried that and data use is way down.

But one result is the Forum isn't open all the time and thus, I do not check it all day, or maybe not for days. The bigger problem is internet in this country is very expensive and not very fast. We are falling further and further behind the rest of the world in this and many other things. The Verizon system works for us in other ways—mobility is important to us, but otherwise it is constraining.

Gene