Old 01-27-2013, 04:33 PM   #407
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
SalemBob?

Hi, maybe if I change my name to "SalemBob" I will find my next house.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 04:37 PM   #408
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, maybe if I change my name to "SalemBob" I will find my next house.
If that works, I'm changing mine to HugeMansionOn4000AcresKen

Ken

Old 01-28-2013, 01:56 AM   #409
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Good ones, ya'll.

New year, new names.

Let them not be portentous, as fortunate will do.

Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 01:16 PM   #410
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
I'm thinking of "Gazillionaire with Airstream Elevator in Mansion". Maybe in February.

Gene
Old 01-28-2013, 01:20 PM   #411
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
I'm thinking of "Gazillionaire with Airstream Elevator in Mansion". Maybe in February.

Gene
Do it as a Chinese-character tattoo instead.
Old 01-28-2013, 01:36 PM   #412

Quote:

Gene

By the way, the resolution, on my "no pm generated for thanks notification" problem is "the forum may screw up stuff like that when you have a non alpha numeric character in your user name".

I decided it wasn't worth changing my user name again. In the future, I will just make sure none of my posts are worthy of thanks. It shouldn't be that hard to do.

Ken
Old 01-28-2013, 01:40 PM   #413
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag&Au View Post
In the future, I will just make sure none of my posts are worthy of thanks. It shouldn't be that hard to do.

Ken
Let's all thank Ken for his resolute stand.

Still waiting a call or e-mail from the Massachusetts people. Patience is a hard virtue.

Gene
Old 02-02-2013, 12:48 PM   #414
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Two weeks from the showing with the woman from Mass. and no word. Several days ago I send her some information hoping I'd get some sort of response. Patience wears thin.

We're going to start running ads in the local papers. With prices going up, people should be looking now instead of waiting until spring. The house we found to buy has issues that are probably surmountable and I keep doing research on that. It will not be too easy to get a trailer in there—there's space for a trailer with an engine and all that goes with it, in other words, a motorhome, but turning and backing a trailer into the most obvious space may be difficult. Some dirt moving may solve that (tempting to rent a D9 and try it myself since the last time someone let me drive one, it was fun). There's another space that might work, but I'd have to back the trailer out and miss the underground propane tank—that's a risk I don't want to take. I found there were covenants that the seller's realtor had not disclosed. They do not prohibit RV's, but there are architectural rules that could be a problem in moving dirt. But it appears the HOA was never set up and the developer seems to be out of business (he gets to appoint the HOA until 90% of the lots are sold).

It has occurred to me that buying a house when prices are lower and holding on to this one for several months and raising the price may make sense. But there is the cost of maintaining two houses and the bills that go with it plus the risks inherent in that approach.

Gene
Old 02-02-2013, 01:03 PM   #415

Quote:
Two weeks from the showing with the woman from Mass. and no word. Several days ago I send her some information hoping I'd get some sort of response. Patience wears thin.

We're going to start running ads in the local papers. With prices going up, people should be looking now instead of waiting until spring. The house we found to buy has issues that are probably surmountable and I keep doing research on that. It will not be too easy to get a trailer in there—there's space for a trailer with an engine and all that goes with it, in other words, a motorhome, but turning and backing a trailer into the most obvious space may be difficult. Some dirt moving may solve that (tempting to rent a D9 and try it myself since the last time someone let me drive one, it was fun). There's another space that might work, but I'd have to back the trailer out and miss the underground propane tank—that's a risk I don't want to take. I found there were covenants that the seller's realtor had not disclosed. They do not prohibit RV's, but there are architectural rules that could be a problem in moving dirt. But it appears the HOA was never set up and the developer seems to be out of business (he gets to appoint the HOA until 90% of the lots are sold).

It has occurred to me that buying a house when prices are lower and holding on to this one for several months and raising the price may make sense. But there is the cost of maintaining two houses and the bills that go with it plus the risks inherent in that approach.

Gene
I would be much more inclined to buy a home in that part of the state, if I saw in in the late spring, when everything is at the greenest and the only snow is on the mountains. The same thing applies to here also.

Ken
Old 02-02-2013, 01:46 PM   #416
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Ken, I agree with you. We bought this house in the winter. Snow is pretty. With prices rising, those that can overcome to the desire for greenery will get better deals. But people just don't see it that way, I guess.

Gene
Old 02-02-2013, 02:11 PM   #417
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I find it difficult to fathom a mindset that would come all that way to look at your home, then not get back in touch with you.

Maggie
Old 02-02-2013, 09:33 PM   #418
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug&maggie View Post
I find it difficult to fathom a mindset that would come all that way to look at your home, then not get back in touch with you.

Maggie
Homebuyers rarely make sense. Emotions cloud all aspects. This can be good for the seller, savvy to what qualities a house contains, but makes the job of real estate agent one I was glad to avoid (as I used to buy & sell after renovation/restoration). A great agent has great people skills. Just good enough isn't enough. And rural properties (distances) make looking/selling/buying difficult for all parties. I have my hopes up that folks believe the housing market recovery hype (for it surely is; millions of foreclosed homes are still off the books in order to save the big banks) as we all want Gene down the road, figuratively and literally.

Old 02-03-2013, 05:45 AM   #419
2 Rivet Member

2007 23' International CCD
Charlotte , North Carolina
Smile

Quote:
It has occurred to me that buying a house when prices are lower and holding on to this one for several months and raising the price may make sense.
Gene
Buy the new house when prices are low and keep yours at the same price or even lower it if needed to get it to sell which is your main goal. Your home has not sold at the current price so do not raise it.

Sounds like if you are going to have problems parking the Airstream then maybe look for another house.

When I sold my house in Texas in 08/2011, I had a contract in four days. I priced it to sell and I prepped it to sell. What is more important? Selling and moving or the money?
Old 02-03-2013, 10:37 AM   #420
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Buyers can be weird. A listing is done to promote a property. People see the photos and their imagination takes over. When they see the property, they see it differently. The woman who came here was described by her husband (when she wasn't listening) as very particular. People have their own schedules and may think they can take months to decide in this market. They are not considerate. Selling is like that. I have sold many vehicles and the experience is the same. Many disappointments and then it suddenly works. It is a pain.

Deciding on an asking price is very difficult in a small market. I have compared notes with realtors in trying to determine what to ask. I look at what is on the market. The house seems priced right and, of course, I may be wrong. Location does matter.

Trying to sell one and buy another at the same time takes some luck, skill and hope. I'd rather take the cash from one and use it to buy another. A mortgage may make sense if I can earn more in the market than I'm paying to borrow money and allow me to have 2 houses at the same time without losing money—that's tricky too.

The area we are looking at has few houses and we have to settle on one that works for us and may well have issues.

Gene