Old 02-04-2012, 09:52 AM   #29
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by casa3805 View Post
Rednax, you posted this at 20 till 2. AM! Do you ever sleep?
On and off. Have to keep up with your many posts somehow.

Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 09:59 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Apparently Corpus Christi is one wild town with both those guys up all night—Rednax at 1:38 am and Casa' at 5:17 am.

Thanks for the good wishes on house selling. If I were 30 years younger, I'd consider renovating while living in a house and selling fast, but my wife would probably not care for the constant turmoil. I have made good profit on each house I've owned by remodeling. We'll be looking for a house with potential after we sell this one. Given that I'm really old now, I'm not sure I can do much more than direct Barb, but maybe I can still paint if I don't keep dropping the brush and the roller. Well, it isn't that bad yet, but I am realizing stamina isn't what it used to be and I won't be able to do quite the amount of work I have done before. I ordered a book that should have information about flat roofs since we will be moving to flat roof country—I want to know something about them before I start seriously looking at houses. I'll have to learn about stucco too since most adobe-looking houses are really stucco on frame.

The new trailer table is waiting for more attention. I put a heavy box on the dictionary last night. I think I'd like a week when the temps are above 45˚ before I work on it in the shop. We are not there yet. I also have to think about the humps in the vinyl and what to do, if anything, about them. And the bathroom fan leak—that can probably wait until it is truly spring.

Gene

Old 02-04-2012, 11:32 AM   #31
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up

"Bob, it isn't a dog and it isn't a window seat. It is a sofa table, though not by the sofa. It is a fake miniature sheep and such things can be found in abundance at trinket stores in NM"

Gene,

Boy do I know how easy these type things can be "found".

Sandra bagged these two on a Northern Adirondack Antique Mall Crawl Safari.

In the Kitchen now……How lucky am I?

Bob

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 11:40 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Bob, I'm sure glad the trinkets are smaller in the west.

What about the paintings?—they look like Hudson River School.

Gene
Old 02-04-2012, 12:07 PM   #33
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
Bob, I'm sure glad the trinkets are smaller in the west.

What about the paintings?—they look like Hudson River School.

Gene
Gene

William Chandler Pastel's

Bob

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

RLC
Old 02-04-2012, 12:38 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Bob,

I guess I was right. We have a William Hart painting at a gallery in NYC. We bought it as an investment and decided it was time to sell it, so they have it on consignment. I think this link will get you to it: Gerald Peters Gallery | Works | Search | William Hart

Every time I see a Hudson River School painting it makes me nostalgic for the northeast and then I remember clouds, humidity and wet snow.

Gene
Old 02-04-2012, 07:58 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2005 31' Classic
Cleveland , Tennessee
Hey Gene: In your first post you comented "There’s a difference between a clean house and one ready for a showing. A house has to be unnaturally uncluttered for showings." Well we have some friends that are moving from LA to TN, and we've been going with them looking for houses (in the 200K range). You would be amazed how many people don't really know how to present a house in an "unnaturally uncluttered" state. In fact it was amazing at how many places we went to where it loooked like, well...., mounding dishes on counters & sink, dirty laundry in various rooms....., well, as though they just walked out of the house without a care, or no concern for how the house looks to any potential buyer! So, I guess you and Barb can lighten up and relax a little. (although truth be known, every house we ever sold, it looked like...., well "unnaturally uncluttered"). Just found this interesting and thought I would pass it on to you.

Your wood project looks interesting, will be interesting to see the finished table!

Terry.

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will take you there." Lewis Carroll

AIR #38011
TAC TN-4
NOVA
Steelegood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 08:31 PM   #36
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Gene, are you contemplating keeping the A/S at home in the future? Seems a decent time to use the current house to park the trailer in such a way that some "experience" with the thing would work for a future abode. Drawings, regulations, etc, are fine, but there's just no teacher quite like experience, even if the proposed "house addition" is to a different house. I'm thinking grades, utilities, working room around and atop, etc. Might make a difference when looking at more than one property as to which way to go. Some experience around here worth asking for if pics are included; distances, heights, codes, et. al.

My late FIL bought a small house/lot for his late retirement and it featured a "drive-thru" garage which he much liked. I could see why. It would be on my list if I could fit it in. Takes both more and less room than is obvious is why I include it here.

Not quite the same as traveling, but includes the vision thereof as the A/S is part and parcel of your lives for some years yet.

Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 12:42 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Terry,

"Unnaturally uncluttered" is a thought that came to me from reading a book on FSBO. The writer thought half of the books should be removed from bookshelves, drapes taken down so to see the windows better, nothing on any horizontal surface, tan walls, tan floors, bland people….

This, to me, is extreme. It removes any warmth from a house and we are selling warmth—a log house with some rustic, but modern quality. That means some real things on things, art on walls, and books in bookcases, although less than before because we've packed a bunch of them. Even closets, she said, should be largely empty, and we should put our stuff in storage (do we have to go to the storage place to get the vacuum?). But an empty room always looks smaller than a furnished one, though there's no doubt a cluttered one also looks smaller.

My problem is I hate filing. I know just where everything is in those piles of papers. I am struggling with that. My office is like a sink full of dishes.

Rednax, I'm not sure what you mean. So, I'll guess. Our hope is we can sell the house soon, move and travel plus look for a new house. We can go to nearby places for several days before we sell; sanity requires it. Hopefully we'll have wifi or cell service—in fact, we have to make sure of that. That leaves out public lands for the most part because most public campgrounds are too far from cell service and certainly don't have wifi.

After our house is sold, our plan is to rent while we look for a new house to buy. Figuring out anti-RV laws and HOA rules will be important. I did a search for anti-RV ordinances in Santa Fe County and the city as well and could not find any. Other towns in the area may have some. Mostly it is a question of HOA rules and our realtor is well aware of our needs. Whether she is up on every HOA rule is improbable. We will be vigilant about that. A drive through garage would be wonderful, even a pole barn. Since the areas we will be looking at surround the core city of SF and are somewhat suburban, pole barns and RV sized garages are unlikely. We are told that if you can hide the RV alongside or behind a house, it is ok. We will be checking on that. We have found that houses where land is pretty flat are more likely to have spaces where you can maneuver an RV to park it; houses in the hills are impossible for the most part. Local streets are often dirt (not even gravelled), narrow, rutted and poorly maintained. Getting RV's into some areas is very difficult if possible at all. We like hills and funky neighborhoods, and, thus, we will have a problem. The Airstream dictates where we move, therefore. When looking at houses, clutter may indicate a lower price or the possibility of a good deal. Poor maintenance may mean the same. Projects unfinished is a boon. Everything is a compromise, so no house will be perfect (just like the Safari) and we will promptly make it our own. Since we like wood, we will probably panel a few rooms right away. How much tan paint can I look at?

Our future hopes are a house with plenty of room, an open floor plan, and a place we feel at home. Kind of obvious, but we like being home and we like traveling. The winter is a better time to remodel, but I get tired with it, so traveling releases the tensions of remodeling. The Airstream is permanent—no need to buy a different one, it fits us fine. We plan to keep it in great shape and when we can't travel anymore, sell it.

A dramatic photo of our house below. Are the clouds too dramatic?

Gene
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010057.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	313.1 KB
ID:	150390  
Old 02-06-2012, 11:50 AM   #38
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up

Gene,

Think we could adapt some of this furniture for AS use.....

Bob

RLC

RLC
Old 02-06-2012, 12:44 PM   #39
Rivet Master

1981 27' Excella II
mays landing , South Jersey
I sure hope the DW doesnt see this video. I have enough projects. Sal.
TAC N.J. 17
WBCCI 24740
noreen&sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 12:55 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2005 31' Classic
Cleveland , Tennessee
Hey Gene:

After the Balloon Fiesta we went to Santa Fe for a day, Natalie wanted to take the AS in case we changed our travel plans and went a different rt. Well, I figured we would be in SF for the entire day and I didn't want to move the AS multiple times. Glad we didn't take the AS, considering we went up Canyon Rd. As you probably know, there is no room for an AS there, and we went into some of the neighborhoods nearby, like you said, all gravel. Great looking photo of your "compound".

Good Luck, Terry

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will take you there." Lewis Carroll

AIR #38011
TAC TN-4
NOVA
Old 02-06-2012, 02:17 PM   #41
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Bob, that furniture is cool. Great for a one room apartment in Manhattan. I've seen the table with the top that lifts up and comes forward for eating while sitting on a sofa. It is probably cheaper to put a TV in the dining room than to buy the table.

Terry, glad you didn't take the Airstream up Canyon Rd. I think it is wide enough, but you wouldn't enjoy it. If you go to the end of the "wide" part you may never get out. There are some interesting neighborhoods off of Canyon Rd., but narrow streets and poor maintenance characterize access. Right now that area is attracting home buyers. Canyon Rd. has many galleries and you can buy vintage Navajo rugs for $10,000 and up, way up.

El Farol is on Canyon and has very good food in a very old building and claims to be the oldest bar in SF. Parking along Canyon is difficult and curb painting tells you when it is not ok to park. But at night faded paint is impossible to see—I got into a confrontation about that 2 years ago with a SF cop. He was unusually rude, but backed down (like bullies do) when I asked him how anyone could see the paint at night with snow piled up along most of the curb. He said he wouldn't give me a ticket if I moved right away. I said, "Can I get my wife—she's in the restaurant?" (We had already finished dinner.) He said "No!" and I moved the 4Runner and turned around out of his sight and came back for her. SF cops seem to be pretty aggressive and do not represent the city well.

Sal, we all need more projects. That way we can do the ones we like and ignore the others saying, "there are more projects than I can do right now, but I'll get to it mañana or maybe next month. My back hurts too, would you massage it dear?"

I have to do a market survey today. Started yesterday and it seems our thoughts on an asking price are pretty much in line with what is being listed. It is not easy to find reviews of FSBO websites, but when I do, it seems most of them are posted by realtors who try to convince people the worst thing they can do is not list their property with a realtor. These are the last people I would list with because if they have so much time to cruise review sites and trash competition, they must not be selling homes. I also have to get another e-mail address just for this, though using gmail is beginning to worry me considering how much Google has destroyed privacy ("do no harm"? Are they kidding?).

Gene
Old 02-07-2012, 10:02 AM   #42
Rivet Master

2005 31' Classic
Cleveland , Tennessee
We ended up parking next to The Tea Room, explored for awhile, then ended that portion of the day with something to snack on and drink. Yeah, we found a lot of things we would like to have, but were cost prohibitive, for us anyway. The longhorn picture was very impressive, yet the photo doesn't do it any justice, the piece was very vibrant, the "faces" were close to 20K (each... I think), and the stone chair, well it actually was very comfortable.

Terry.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN0673.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	324.4 KB
ID:	150505   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0666.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	489.1 KB
ID:	150506  

Name:	DSCN0657.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	671.6 KB
ID:	150507  

AIR #38011
TAC TN-4
NOVA