Old 11-28-2012, 12:21 AM   #365
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Western , ** Big Sky Country ** Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag&Au View Post
That is a VORTAC. That particular one is the Mormon Mesa VORTAC. The identifier is MMM. VORTACs are radio aids for air navigation.

Ken
Yes, concur ...the smaller ones (w/o building but similar shape) are antennae for Variable Omni Range navigation antennas

Old 11-28-2012, 10:24 AM   #366
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
What's cutting firewood? Is that something like turning on the natural gas furnace?
Cutting firewood is something real men do. The heat is free if you don't count the cost of the chain saw, oil, gas, chains, doctors for strained muscles and fingers you might lose. It is sort of like saying traveling with an Airstream is cheap if you don't count the cost of the trailer, maintenance, tires….

Ken,

If my wife cut firewood, I could keep up with the Forum better, but despite all my efforts, she doesn't want to pick up the chain saw and start cutting. Most of the time I convince her to go with me to pick up the wood and load it into the cart and help stack it so I can cut more wood. But if your wife doesn't have enough to do, send her out here with her saw. I've got plenty of wood to cut. Does she wash trailers too?

House—the listing on ForSaleByOwner.com stays up forever, so I could try another website that costs less to see if there's a better way to get on MLS and Realtor.com. My realtor/friend is thinking about limited services.

Gene

Old 11-28-2012, 11:05 AM   #367
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post

Ken,

Does she wash trailers too?

Gene
Yes

Sometimes I help.

She always does the roof though, because I have sufficiently demonstrated to her that I am clumsy.

All this and she still works 40 hours a week while I live the life of leisure.

Ken
Old 11-29-2012, 04:17 PM   #368
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag&Au View Post

I have sufficiently demonstrated to her that I am clumsy.
An air traffic controller who is clumsy, hmmmm. We are all glad you retired.

Gene
Old 11-29-2012, 04:22 PM   #369
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
An air traffic controller who is clumsy, hmmmm. We are all glad you retired.

Gene
I didn't control airplanes while walking around on the roof of a control tower.

Ken
Old 12-16-2012, 01:24 PM   #370
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Finally some snow. Nothing came from the sky for a month, but now we've had 6" in the past week. We need much, much more before drought recovery takes place, but we take anything we can get. Our water company has senior rights on a good creek, so we don't worry too much about domestic water, but the trees and land need water too.

I have the house listed again on MLS and it might be on Realtor.com by now. This is generally a pain, but I'm using a different realtor to do the actual listings and this one is much easier to work with. But the state Real Estate Commission, made up of realtors, is making it hard for people like me who don't need realtors to do this ourselves. Now all offers have to go through the listing agent for minimal services—I don't need the services and this just increases the time delays and possibilities of mistakes. In fact, it seems like initial contact has to be made through the realtor. They are also supposed to check the HUD Settlement statement. The statement confuses most everyone and the title company here should be checking it too. This seems like another way to delay things. I'll do what I can to avoid all this—the Commission has no authority over a seller (unless they are a licensed agent), so I'll just tell anyone who contacts me to deal with me.

We've made a big change in our plans (yes, journalists, I've buried the lead). After lowering the price again, we've decided we are getting priced out of the Santa Fe market. First, after talking with a realtor friend, we were advised that anything over $300,000 here moves very slowly, so by listing our adjoining, undeveloped lot with the house, we were close to $500,000. So we decided to split them again and try to sell the lot separately—this leaves us with little wiggle room, so we needed to find another place that we liked.

Friends in Grand Junction suggested we look at Glade Park. This is an area south of the city and Colorado Nat'l Monument that is fairly close to downtown (25-30 min. or so), about 10˚ cooler (GJ is very, very hot in summer), and perceived as remote. It is also kind of funky in places and has mail delivery to houses (none it appears) and broadband issues (maybe solved with a satellite provider). Prices (and climate) appear to be about the same as where we are. We would be close to a pretty good hospital (the worries of old people), decent food markets and other things we like. Not a city I'd ever think about to live in, but this area outside the city has possibilities. The Monument and BLM lands act as a buffer to full scale development.

We looked at some houses yesterday with the realtor friend and found one we both liked, but have to sell this one first. It was about as different from our house as can be imagined, but it had many things we like and then I could change it to make it better. It is pretty new and has a lot of "modern" things that make a house less warm feeling than we like. I got a call a week ago from someone who saw the listing and is coming to this area around the holidays and was interested, but I'm sure others got a call too. Will this be the one? Who knows?

Gene
Old 12-31-2012, 12:00 PM   #371
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
2012 grinds to an end with a cliff awaiting and snow falling. Winter came with a vengeance a couple of weeks ago. It appears the jet stream finally decided to go south for the winter. Temps have rarely been above freezing and about 1.5 feet of snow has come in dribs and drabs. About half has melted, but the rest will stay for a while. This is better than looking at dead, brown grass. The solstice is past and the sun is beginning to return. The dragon that threatened to swallow the sun has been defeated again.

The trailer is covered with snow and awaits a new screen door latch—it'll wait 'til it warms up. The list for spring is growing—repack bearings, repaint tongue and stairs, put a rheostat on the stove light. The last one has been on the list for 4 years.

We re-listed the house and reduced the price and are trying to sell without the adjoining lot to keep the price lower. We liked the house we found south of Grand Junction, but we have to get a contract on this one first.

There is some relief about not moving to NM. We don't have to get new driver's licenses, register to vote again in a new state, worry about traffic in Santa Fe, worry about crime in SF, pay higher property taxes (but lower vehicle registration fees) and figure out the rest of relocation challenges. And I keep close to US 6, a highway I have always lived less than 100 miles from as I have moved west all my life.

No plans for trips in 2013 because the house holds us up. We'd like to do something cool for our 25th wedding anniversary in the spring, but we can't even decide on a trip to Denver or Santa Fe in the winter. The front steps have been replaced with redwood and look great, except until the weather warms, I can't coat them with preservative.

So, everything is in stasis. Maybe January will inspire us with new ideas and desire to move along. We can do more home improvements so someone will fall in love with it, but first we have to get them here. Selling a house in winter in Colorado is not easy. Here is the listing: 3 bed, Single Family home for sale by owner 37602 Fruitland Mesa Rd, Crawford, CO 81415 | ForSaleByOwner.com - FSBO

While i was typing a realtor called to offer me a listing deal. I countered with ideas for a limited representation to do part of it—mainly getting listings higher up on Google. He has to think about it, but maybe we can work something out.

Gene
Old 12-31-2012, 12:25 PM   #372
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Well, Gene, I hope 2013 brings you a sale on your home. It's been dragging on a long time for you.

Happy New Year, and may a serious buyer cross your threshold.

Maggie
Old 12-31-2012, 01:28 PM   #373
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Thanks Maggie. Maybe it is time to leave Ill. for Colorado and buy a house here. Plenty of RV parking.

Gene
Old 12-31-2012, 01:43 PM   #374
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Thanks Maggie. Maybe it is time to leave Ill. for Colorado and buy a house here. Plenty of RV parking.

Gene
You know, if I could buy your log home, I would.

I have wanted a log home all of my life, since I was a little girl reading the "Little House" books and playing with Lincoln Logs. I pine for one.

It would be a second home, though, as our kids and Grandkids are here. We would never move away.

If I should win the lottery, I'll send you a pm and we'll make an appointment to come see it.

Maggie

Maggie
Old 12-31-2012, 02:24 PM   #375
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Cat City , California
Nice looking house there. You have had a long ordeal it appears of trying to sell it. Must be discouraging. In your county, what sorts of houses are selling? Anything like yours? Is your house unusual for the area, or typical?

We're (hopefully) going to be full-timing soon, but we think we will simply rent out our house using a management company instead of selling. I am reluctant to give up our last RE holding. I suppose it is a kind of security blanket.

Wishing you good luck on the sale!
Old 12-31-2012, 05:34 PM   #376
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
M', we live in a small county east of Grand Junction. It is very quiet and rural and not well known. The houses that are selling best are below $200,000 and some sell up to $300,000. Above that is a struggle. There are expensive houses, but they sell very slowly if at all. The housing stock is varied, especially outside of the 3 small towns in this part of the county. Much of the growth here in the last 20 years is from retirees moving here, but that market is now weak. Yes, it is discouraging, but we press on. I spoke with a realtor today and suggested he offer internet marketing services at a small commission or flat fee and he is going to think about it. He was trying to get the listing, but it is already listed.

Having managed properties, renting is the last thing I want to do. If the house is rented (unlikely here actually), you have to cover maintenance, taxes, other costs, and probably do it all yourself. If the house is empty for a month or two, you lose a lot of money. It doesn't pay off well.

Selling in midwinter is especially difficult, but we bought in the winter, so someone else might. We press on.

Gene
Old 01-16-2013, 08:03 AM   #377
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Brief update:

1. I haven't adjusted to a year called "2013". I now feel like I've gone backward to 1913. My parents vaguely remembered the "teens" and those teens started with "19". I can't wait for the roaring twenties.

2. Winter came with a blast of cold and snow. Almost all of the snow in a week or so, temps hardly getting to 32˚ for a month—maybe 3 afternoons above freezing.

3. Someone is flying here from New England to look at our house and sounds very serious. I am not going to get emotionally involved in this so I don't get disappointed (this is a lie). It sounds like they are not looking at any other houses, but I can't be sure.

4. We think we found a house we'd like to buy, but have to coordinate 2 sales to make things work.

5. Trips to anywhere are on hold.

Gene
Old 01-16-2013, 08:27 AM   #378
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:

3. Someone is flying here from New England to look at our house and sounds very serious. I am not going to get emotionally involved in this so I don't get disappointed (this is a lie). It sounds like they are not looking at any other houses, but I can't be sure.

4. We think we found a house we'd like to buy, but have to coordinate 2 sales to make things work.

Gene

Well, good luck! Maybe this will be lucky 2013!

Fingers crossed, good karma sent.

Maggie.