Old 11-05-2012, 06:37 PM   #295
Full Timers/Diesel power.

1983 31' Airstream310
Cactus Hug , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag&Au View Post
Perhaps all the inconsiderate ones have moved to Seattle
Sad, but true. When I was still in business, you could see them coming a mile away, and gee, what a suprise, most of us never returned their calls.

Old 11-05-2012, 09:01 PM   #296
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Today no rain, and even some sunbeams and a little blue sky, but by afternoon the fog crept in and kept getting thicker. There are many towns south from Cannon Beach and going is slow so the fog doesn't really slow you down—the traffic does.

Just south of Tillamook is a World War II airplane museum and we stopped there. The hanger it is in was built for dirigibles used during the war to scout the coast for enemy ships and planes, but there were none at the museum. The hanger is enormous and is built of wood because of the scarcity of metal during the war. Lots of planes—fighters, bombers and other planes used during the war and after. After a while, they all started to look the same. It was interesting and someone who flies would be ecstatic. Maintenance was not so good as the planes often needed work, tires were going flat and lots of things were missing in some of the cockpits.

The road continues south, sometimes inland and sometimes on the coast. Not in the best repair in places. We stopped at the Pendleton bargain store in Lincoln City and Barb found a raincoat for $15. Now she has 4 raincoats, amazing for someone who lives in a desert.

We stopped at the municipal campground in Newport. It is pretty much a parking lot next to the marina, but has full hookups, cable and wifi. Not bad. We were going to go back to town to see the Art Deco buildings, but we saw only two on the main street plus the big bridge across the port. We heard at the campground office there were only a few more. They advertise this, but there's little there. Now the sun sets around 5 and there's little desire to go out, though we thought of going to the Rogue brewery not far from here, but it closes at 8 and we are just having lunch.

Tomorrow we go to Bandon, a town we seem to visit every time we come along the coast. We've had a few good meals there in downtown restaurants, but tomorrow we'll be glued to the TV and internet to see how the election comes out. Dinner out Wednesday to either celebrate or drown our sorrows.

Photos:

1. A couple of WW II fighters. This shows the vastness of the hanger. The planes only take about 2/3 of the floor and at the back are parked a bunch of RV's.

2. DC 3.

3. More planes.

4. WW II plane art—Rose's Raiders.

Gene
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	172154   Click image for larger version

Name:	B.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	172155  

Name:	C.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	172156   Click image for larger version

Name:	D.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	172157  

Old 11-05-2012, 09:07 PM   #297
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Newport does have an Art Deco bridge. We got here shortly before the sun went down, but I got some photos. The concrete bridge supports are done with Art Deco style, though it is pretty hard to see them from afar. In town, the Art Deco buildings we saw were the school district office and the movie theater. They are on 101.

Gene
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	E.jpg
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	172158   Click image for larger version

Name:	F.jpg
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	172159  

Old 11-05-2012, 09:13 PM   #298
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
In picture 2, the wing tip tank with the searchlight on the end is attached to a P2V-7. That's the type of aircraft I flew in while in the Navy. Did you get any pictures of the plane itself?

Ken
Old 11-05-2012, 09:15 PM   #299
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag&Au View Post
Did you get any pictures of the plane itself?

Ken
No, I was more interested in Rose.

Gene
Old 11-05-2012, 09:26 PM   #300

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
No, I was more interested in Rose.

Gene
Some of our crew members installed bright red carpet in the cockpit and cabin immediately behind it. They then had nose art painted that was Little Annie Fannie riding a red magic carpet. Under the picture it said "Red carpet Special" Unfortunately I don't have any photos of it. They made them paint over it fairly quickly.

Ken
Old 11-07-2012, 11:58 PM   #301
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
From Newport, the driving was a little faster as there were fewer small towns, but there was plenty of fog. It mostly burned off by mid-morning as the temperature struggled to get above the dew point, and we saw a strange color in the sky sometimes—blue.

Bandon-by-the-Sea has fairly good wifi and good TV, but we may be in the worst site here with a swampy area to our right and weeds and a sluggish waterway to our left. A long term 5th wheel is real close, though no one is there. But we just wanted to watch elections, stayed up late and went to bed happy. After a gazillion commercials and endless political reporting, what do we do now until 2014? I know the afterglow won't last. We'll trudge on.

Woke up around 5 and turned on the TV to see what we had missed. Eventually we made it into town. The old downtown is small, grouped loosely around the harbor, and consists mainly of small and insubstantial wood buildings. Lots of strip development along 101 and modest and not so modest houses outside of town, far down the beach. The Coquille R. ends here and there is a small waterfront and marina. This is one of those towns magazines love to "discover" and put on lists of "most desirable" or "best place to retire". There's really not much here and from the size of the houses, real estate must be a lot less costly than other, better known towns.

Later we went to Alloro Wine Bar, best rated restaurant here. We've had dinner twice before in Bandon and each time was better. My pasta primavera had slightly overcooked veggies, but still had interesting spicing and the bread was good too. On the way out heard 2 couples talking about moving out of the country because of election results. Sometimes I think restaurant reviewers are so surprised to find a decent restaurant in a small town, they overrate "pretty good" to "excellent". Today we saw blue sky and it lasted all day. Last night there were stars—I had forgotten about them and then realized how much I've missed them. Last time I saw the moon it was full; half has been eaten, maybe by a dragon.

Tomorrow we plan to drive to Arcata. Arcata has remnants of hippie culture and a thriving marijuana industry. We will breathe deeply to inhale the pristine forest air.

Photos:

1. Bandon is the center of the space/time continuum and the Universe Headquarters is the Continuum Center. This is the main business street.

2. Small lighthouse near the entrance to the Bandon harbor.

3. South of town, rocks offshore. Houses on a bluff over the Pacific hug the shore for a couple of miles with other houses behind them, trying to find higher hills to perch on so everyone has an ocean view. Some houses have the usual first floor rooms on the 2nd floor to get the view over the house in front.

4. Sign in a giftshop window in Bandon. Harp Lady, keep an eye on that tip jar!

Gene
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	100.jpg
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	172292   Click image for larger version

Name:	101.jpg
Size:	44.7 KB
ID:	172293  

Name:	102.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	38.1 KB
ID:	172294   Click image for larger version

Name:	103.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	172295  

Old 11-09-2012, 08:37 PM   #302
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
We are in Ft. Bragg, Cal., today a day where we’ve seen heavy rain and sun, sometimes at the same time. The afternoon was fairly sunny, a strange experience. Yesterday there was no rain.

We stopped here so we could go to Mendocino for lunch and recreational shop. Mendocino is a late 19th century town given over to tourists. Some of the shoppes are very expensive, but there are T-shirt stores too. The town is on a bluff overlooking the Pacific, has great views, and is worth a few hours. One of the unusual things about the town is all the water towers. People had (or have) wells and pump the water to the tanks on the roof or towers and use the water by gravity flow. A women (who I thought was flirting with me, or maybe I just wanted to think it) in a shoppe said the local real estate market was very bad.

We are at one of those RV parks (Pomo) where there are signs everywhere telling you what you can’t do and what they will do if you do bad things—threats such as lawsuits and calling the sheriff are not a good way to sell a product. The woman at the desk wasn’t friendly and really didn’t want to give us the only pull thru. We persisted. These people need to get into another business. This place has Tengo wifi and you need a password for each device, and then have to sign in every time a device goes to sleep. The 2nd coupon didn’t work. Last time we went to Mendocino, we stayed at a CG just outside of town where we were sardine packed; it felt like the RV equivalent of the projects, Next time we’re around here, we’ll stop at a state park or maybe just drive on.

Earlier we took the Cal. 1 from Leggett east to the coast. This 22 miles of twisting, turning, narrow road travels over the Coast Range. No MH’s over 40’ allowed. Last time we were here, there were lots of log trucks, but not today. This road is not for everyone and many posts on the Forum confirm that. It is tedious and slow. With numerous blind, tight curves and lots of anxiety about a logging truck that may be coming around the curve over the line. You go over one range and hope the ocean is near, but then there’s another range to cross. Eventually the trees part and there’s the ocean.

The next 27 miles follows the coast with big waves today, some sun, and periodic trips down into a creek valley and more tight curves. And lots of tight curves by the ocean too. This alternates with fairly straight road across the dunes or inland a little way. The coast highway is not for those who sleepwalk while driving. But the views are worth it.

After traveling down the coast for what feels like forever but is more like a week plus, we have learned it rains a lot, but less so as we go south. Paper is not crisp, but is limp from humidity. A dirty truck will look better after a while from heavy rain. There are still flowers blooming, especially in Cal. Fred Meyers’ supermarkets have the best gas prices and any town with that chain has gas prices at every station 20-25˘ lower than the town 5 or 10 miles down the road. Act sort of stupid at the Cal. bug station and they will let you go without really knowing what fruit and veggies you have. Buy gas at the southern most station in Oregon because it will cost a lot more soon (it must be better gas). To me, one tourist town and their shoppes look pretty much like every other one (I’ve known this for decades). There are big rocks and small rocks in the ocean off the coast. They all seem to be volcanic black rocks, but we don’t see them on the land; maybe they are covered with vegetation and that’s why we don’t see them.

The rivers get smaller as you travel south, but are still bigger than any river in Colorado. And, while travelling through the Eel River Valley in northern Cal., we saw a sign on the hilltop showing the water level during a flood. It was 5’ above the highway and we were on a hill. The river was pretty far below us. The flood was in 1964—heavy snow followed by warm rains, 22” of rain. Driving through a valley and imagining a river 46’ deep (I think that was it) from one side of a valley that looked a quarter mile or more across, to the other, makes me feel small and vulnerable. Oh, and don’t come here in the fall when it rains all the time—this is our 3rd time, always in the fall, and we never learn, but there’s no problem getting a seat in a restaurant or a place in an RV park.

Photos later. Tomorrow we go to Gualala where there is the best pizza in the west.

Gene
Old 11-09-2012, 08:51 PM   #303
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Broken things report:

1. The leak I thought was coming from the lower oval window in the bedroom was condensation. Lots of rain and no leaks!

2. Kitchen drawer latch broke. We found new ones easily and I replaced the broken one.

3. Screen door screws loose and tightened.

4. Bedroom drawer was found on the floor today. The screws on the front holding it together had ripped out and there were only screws at the bottom of the drawer front even though the handle is at the top and that's where the most pressure was. Filled the screw holes with stuff that's supposed to make the screws stay in and added screws at the top. I suspect the latch at the back is weakening and will need to be replaced, but the screws are way in the back and hard to reach; that will wait.

And the water pressure regulator I thought I left somewhere showed up and now we have two.

Gene
Old 11-09-2012, 09:42 PM   #304

Gene,
Your story about the water regulator reminded me of an similar, but of course totally different, experience I had. A few years ago, I left an all brass 4 hose manifold with quick disconnects (a fairly expensive item) attached to the faucet at the campground where you stayed in Gig Harbor. When I discover it was missing the next evening, I called to see if it was still there. They went to the campsite and found it. They mailed it to my home and would not allow me to reimburse them for postage. I wish all campgrounds had people that nice.

Ken
Old 11-09-2012, 10:18 PM   #305
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Ken, the people who have sold the CG in Gig Harbor seemed very nice; the purchasers seem lost.

Photos:

1. Older bridges on 101 in Oregon seem to have built in the 1930's have Art Deco themes that show in the decorative columns at the ends and sometimes the middle.

2. A stormy day along the Pacific in Oregon.

3. California Redwoods and dirty windshield.

4. Cal. 1 from Leggett to the coast—one of a a gazillion curves, some with the suggested speed of 10.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	172396   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	172397  

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	172398   Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	172399  

Old 11-09-2012, 10:30 PM   #306
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
More:

1. Rocks off the California coast at the first turn out after the road over the Coast Range.

2. The ocean from the Main street in Mendocino—a bright spot out on the ocean later opened up as blue sky appeared.

3. The bar at the Mendocino Hotel bar has early phonograph horns for light shades.

4. Rainbow over Mendicino's Main St.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	172400   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	34.8 KB
ID:	172401  

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	172402   Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	40.0 KB
ID:	172403  

Old 11-09-2012, 11:06 PM   #307
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, we have taken the coastal winding roads several times and still like doing it. We have had sunshine, fog, rain, and snow while driving along the coast. Cows along side of the road too. We were disappointed that there was virtually no coastal roads in Washington. I believe that they said that all of the Washington coast was Indian territory and they don't want no stink en roads. I used to have a bad habit of leaving my sewer elbow at the previous camp ground. I now carry a spare, and never forget it. I finally took my wife's car to the local car wash and the next day we got some rain. Today it has been a bit windy and finally cooled down some. Temps are now in the high sixties and very low seventies, during the day.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 11:18 PM   #308
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Gig Harbor , Washington
Gene, nice pics. Are you on "1" or "101". I'd like to travel thru CA on 1 but I remember it being narrow and very winding. Might be a challenging tow, but I also remember it being the most scenic. The Eselan Institute in Big Sur is celebrating it's 50th anniversary this year and may be worth a look if you get that far south. It's been chilly but mostly sunny up here. Unusual weather for this time of the year but I'll take it.

I've made the transition from the AS to a condo and it's much more comfortable. I loved living in the AS but two months with no Wifi was enough.

Sounds like you guys are enjoying your trip.

Adios,
Dan