Old 11-03-2012, 05:44 AM   #281
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
The rain continues. TV was talking about flooding in NW Washington. It didn't rain all the time in Gig Harbor, just most of the time and was quite heavy. One window—the lower oval one in the bedroom may have a small leak or a lot of condensation. It is not so bad that it needs immediately fixing, though I did bring Sikaflex along.

Driving around the Olympic Pen., we did see a little blue sky for an hour or so, but that didn't last. We wandered around backroads near Dungeness looking to see Vancouver Is. across the strait, but it was too overcast and foggy out on the water. Arrived in La Push mid-afternoon and there are 2 separate RV campgrounds, so we chose the empty one. It was fine though there's only wifi in the office. We were about 100' from the ocean. Not as much rain and we kept one fan vent open all night. I had hoped we could hear the waves, but we couldn't. I saw no junk cars. The campgrounds were new along with a motel and lots of new, metal buildings scattered around. Vehicles in the area were pretty new too. Apparently having movies filmed in your area can bring in a lot of money.

Western Washington is thinly settled, not at all like the Oregon coast. We could drive for miles and miles and not see any traffic. The forests are endless and mostly conifers, maybe Douglas fir and spruce. Broad leaf trees are scattered amongst them and now stand out as yellow and gold in the deep green background. US 101 can be bumpy and we wind inland and sometimes skirt the coast. The biggest towns are clustered around Aberdeen, a tired and worn looking place surrounded by forests and dependent on them. The timber business must be weak because we saw more than a few shuttered sawmills. As we drove south the rains got heavier. After a semi-drizzly morning and we went to Long Beach. LB has a "World" kite museum and Barb wanted to see it. I can't get excited about kites even though I like quirky museums. I survived and it was a short distance to Oregon.

We stayed at the RV Resort in Cannon Beach in '08 and it was a good stop to be lazy. This is a well wooded park with good wifi and lots of TV channels (we need 50 or so to get a few we watch). Laundry time is coming too. Looks like 3 nights here and a trip back up the coast to a Lewis and Clark fort on Sat. and looking to find a good place for breakfast and dinner out celebrating something. Cannon Beach looks like everything is expensive and caters to Portlandians. It has a wide beach and a rock out in the ocean called the Haystack. These volcanic looking rocks are offshore all along the coast and can be impressive.

We knew it was going to rain. The long range forecast was for less than usual, though it seems to be more than usual. Local news' weather reports are always fraught with looming disaster, so we don't know what to believe. 8 days of rain and no sun is too much. I wonder what the suicide rate is here? La Push area had the least rain since we came to the state. All the greenery is beautiful, but the price is rain or snow—or irrigation which means taking water from somewhere (and someone) else.

We didn't know about the lady in the Argosy as I couldn't get strong enough wifi for the Forum until today. There were several Airstreams we did see. We know Oregon state parks are wonderful, but we want wifi and TV right now to follow election news. I e-mailed the Wash. tourism people to get info and they wanted me to pay postage, so I declined. Oregon didn't ask for postage, but their info never arrived. On long trips I'll contact state or provincial tourism departments and ask for info. The Provinces always respond and some have great stuff. The states sometimes respond and their info is not so good.

Photos:

1, 2. Rocks just off the beach at La Push, and, a little blue sky.

3. Amazing amounts of driftwood on the beach at La Push.

Gene
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	13.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	32.5 KB
ID:	171927   Click image for larger version

Name:	14.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	171928  

Click image for larger version

Name:	15.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	171929  

Old 11-03-2012, 02:20 PM   #282
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Gig Harbor , Washington
All, I have rented a condo in Gig Harbor. Full timing in The PNW during a gloomy rainy winter seemed a little much.
Anyway, I have a reliable Wifi source now. As Gene pointed out the service at the RV resort in GH was less than reliable.
It was great meeting Gene and Barb in person. I had a busy two days but we spent some time together and I showed them some local flavor.
I don't mind all of the development anymore as it has also brought money with it and many local families that have waterfront and view properties have been cashing in for years. The city recently bought our family home and net shed and made a beautiful downtown waterfront park with live music all summer. I have to say some of the Californians can be tiresome. Especially when we get our annual 1" of snow.
I will be back on the Forum now and may start a unique thread about the experience I am now having. I haven't come up with a title but it will be fun
PS. Gene and Barb, thanks for the visit and the very good conversation.

Adios,
Dan

Old 11-03-2012, 08:38 PM   #283
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Thanks Dan. Good luck with your latest life change.

We ate breakfast at the Wayfarer Resort on the beach. A dark room trying to look like an olde British pub, maybe. My breakfast was about as bad as a greasy spoon; Barb's was fine. Watch out for the greasy omelettes and hash browns (frozen, well greased). While we waited for breakfast, we looked at the passageway between buildings which leads to the beach. Ocean spray was blasting through there like the TV pictures from a hurricane. I think that was at least 150' from the ocean and there were only a few windblown people on the beach.

Then to look for an RV store. Every couple of years I leave the pressure reducer on the water spigot. I'm the Johnny Appleseed of pressure regulators leaving them at campgrounds across North America. And, the latch that holds one of the kitchen drawers stopped working. These aren't well made and carrying a spare is a good idea. We found a store in Warrenton (just west of Astoria which is west of Portland) with them at $12 each and more for the regulator.

On to Lewis and Clark's Fort Clatsop. Once the expedition reached the Pacific, they had to find somewhere to winter and chose a high point on a river that flows into the Columbia River south of Astoria. The Lewis and Clark expedition is full of good stories that have resulted in many books and some movies. How would we fare in those conditions? No full hookups, wifi, cable TV, comfy beds, indoor plumbing…? 32 or 33 people in small quarters, some of them hiking more than 6 miles to boil ocean water to get salt for the winter and trip east. They hoped a ship would come by and pick them up to get back to the east coast, but no ship came and they returned by a similar route. Despite the many challenges, only one man died, apparently of appendicitis.

I saw a discount Pendleton store and we stopped there so Barb could continue her fruitless quest for a towel set. She did find some clothes. Next Pendleton discount store is in Lincoln City and they have RV parking.

After a day without a lot of rain, it is pouring again. The pleasant tinkle of rain drops has been replaced by bombs of water slamming into the roof. It seems to the locals a nice day is one without hours of heavy rain, so we had a nice day but heavy rain in the evening. Just another day in Paradise. We've been here before and had the same results, but we came back anyway. Some people take 50 years before going over the edge, not me. In the meantime, the drawer is fixed.

Maybe tomorrow we'll be able to walk on the beach without getting soaked. Maybe the sun will be out and it'll be 80˚ and we can going swimming in the ocean. Dan, drive down and we can play in the waves! On the other hand, maybe I'll stay in bed and watch TV.

Gene
Old 11-03-2012, 09:04 PM   #284
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
So far you have driven near 4 lighthouses that my granddad was keeper.
Pt No Point, south west of Port Townsend, New Dungeness in Sequim, Destruction Island several miles of the Washington Coast, and Westport Wash. The next you will come to is Umpqua lighthouse near Reedsport, OR, where my Dad grew up. My grandparents like to move around a lot. I inherited that but have trouble getting agreement with Susan on the subject.

I am always glad it rains when I'm up there as a reminder of why I left.

Ken
Old 11-03-2012, 09:47 PM   #285
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag&Au View Post
My grandparents like to move around a lot.
Ken
Or did they have to move? Did they change their names each time? Seems like these things run in your family. Just when I get used to w7ts, I have to remember chemistry symbols. We haven't seen any lighthouses. They're kind of like kites to me—seen one, you've seen them all. After Cape Hatteras, what's left? If it weren't for phallic symbols, would anyone have thought of a lighthouse? Maybe they just would burn a pile of wood on a rock all night and we could see a mountain of ashes. However, if Barb wants to see a lighthouse, we will.

We pass a lot if things we could go see—quirky museums are everywhere, or the biggest something in the world, or something of real importance. We have to leave things so we can come back. So the Astoria Column will have to wait for another time, maybe in the summer.

Rain has slowed and most of the laundry's done.

Dan, Barb says thanks for the nice dinner and a tour of the town.

Gene
Old 11-03-2012, 09:57 PM   #286

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
Just when I get used to w7ts,
Gene
That wasn't me. That was my evil twin.

Ken
Old 11-04-2012, 08:33 PM   #287
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
We went to the beach. It is broad and long here, but drizzle and ocean spray blowing from the southwest made the walk to the ocean a challenge. The wind was blowing the sand northward along the beach. The signature rock here, The Haystack, was visible through the fog. We walked up to the waterline, turned around and walked back into town. The wind and rain wasn't as bad on the main street, Hemlock. Cannon beach has the usual collection of shoppes selling tourist trinkets plus every kind of restaurant. We choose Sweet Basil's Cafe since it claimed to be for healthy food. Reviews said the service was bad and the food was excellent. The food was a B and the service was fine. The main street and the area along the beach look expensive—as usual ocean view commands a very high price. Further away from the ocean, a lot of modest houses on small lots, a surprising amount of vacant land, some of which may be parkland.

After a day of no rain or drizzle and a few moments of sun, the rain is hard again. Day One Million of rain. Tomorrow we go to Newport where it is supposed to be partly sunny before the rain returns. The downtown is supposed to have Art Deco buildings which we want to see. Maybe I'll remember the camera, something I haven't done here.

Gene
Old 11-05-2012, 11:53 AM   #288
Rivet Master

2005 31' Classic
Cleveland , Tennessee
Hey Gene:

I really need to get to bed, so I can finish my last night on graveyard, however, I just wanted to let you know how much I'm learning from you, regarding not just Airstream, but potential legal matters also, and we really enjoy the pictures you post. Thanks, & keep posting!

Regards, Terry
( perhaps our paths will pass again)

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will take you there." Lewis Carroll

AIR #38011
TAC TN-4
NOVA
Steelegood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 01:39 PM   #289
Full Timers/Diesel power.

1983 31' Airstream310
Cactus Hug , Arizona
Quote:
So far you have driven near 4 lighthouses that my granddad was keeper.
Pt No Point, south west of Port Townsend, New Dungeness in Sequim, Destruction Island several miles of the Washington Coast, and Westport Wash. The next you will come to is Umpqua lighthouse near Reedsport, OR, where my Dad grew up. My grandparents like to move around a lot. I inherited that but have trouble getting agreement with Susan on the subject.

I am always glad it rains when I'm up there as a reminder of why I left.

Ken
I love lighthouses, that's our born and bred neck of the woods. Have you put-up anything we could download: pics and history of your (I admire that kind of grit) grandfather's life on the coast?
Old 11-05-2012, 03:11 PM   #290

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Leary View Post
I love lighthouses, that's our born and bred neck of the woods. Have you put-up anything we could download: pics and history of your (I admire that kind of grit) grandfather's life on the coast?

We've got a lot of that stuff around, I will see what I can do about organizing some of it.

Ken
Old 11-05-2012, 05:10 PM   #291
Full Timers/Diesel power.

1983 31' Airstream310
Cactus Hug , Arizona
Quote:
We've got a lot of that stuff around, I will see what I can do about organizing some of it.

Ken
When I was in Jr. High many moons ago, the project I choose for a class project was "Lighthouses of the Pacific NW". I contacted all the areas and got letters and pics from all of them. Sadly, that A+ project is long lost. I wonder if your grandfather was one who replied. Bye the way, how the heck did a guy with so much salt water in his blood get to Colorado?
Wait a minute, we're in Arizona.
Old 11-05-2012, 05:41 PM   #292

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Leary View Post
When I was in Jr. High many moons ago, the project I choose for a class project was "Lighthouses of the Pacific NW". I contacted all the areas and got letters and pics from all of them. Sadly, that A+ project is long lost. I wonder if your grandfather was one who replied. Bye the way, how the heck did a guy with so much salt water in his blood get to Colorado?
Wait a minute, we're in Arizona.
Unless you are older than I, it would not have been my granddad. He retired when the Coast Guard took over the lighthouse service in 1939. My uncle who was also a lighthouse keeper, became a Chief Petty Officer in the coast Guard at that time and worked at maintaining the lighted buoys and markers in Puget Sound. I ended up in Colorado as a compromise with my wife who is from Iowa. My only hope is to win the lottery so we can have a waterfront place up there while keeping the place down here. I do try to get out to the coast whenever possible. The Puget sound country usually cooperates by raining the whole time we are there to remind us why we're here. My son lives in Oceanside CA, and we go there often. The weather is more to my liking.

Ken
Old 11-05-2012, 06:14 PM   #293
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Weather Report.

Hi, Sunny and warm, all this week, and in the low 90's and high 80's in Lakewood. [no rain]

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 06:22 PM   #294

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, Sunny and warm, all this week, and in the low 90's and high 80's in Lakewood. [no rain]
I would be keeping quiet about that if I were you. The last thing southern California needs is a few million more people moving there.

I love the climate, the terrain, and most of the people I meet there. There is just too darn many of the latter. However, on out last vist down there in September, it seemed like people were getting more considerate of other people than they used to be. Was that just an illusion?

Perhaps all the inconsiderate ones have moved to Seattle and Denver.

Ken