Old 01-26-2012, 12:37 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Actually I've known some very good and honest realtors, but like all professions, there are snakes too. I look for people who have an unusual background and real estate isn't the only thing in their lives. Marketing is the hardest part of this, but I've been watching Mad Men and maybe I've learned something. Some realtors list property in several places and wait for phone calls. Mostly what they do is try to get listings and nothing much else. I don't know I can do much more as a seller, but the role of the internet has increased tremendously and that's what I have to exploit.

I've sold property by putting the word out and bought property because I made an effort to get the owner of property I was interested in to be a buddy from afar. Other times realtors worked better for us.

We are finally well and now can get back to this. Cojer, what was the website you used?

We have the FSBO sign and a box for brochures, but traffic where we are is pretty slight in the winter. I want to get all the stuff together first before I put the sign out. I am going about this methodically as that is what I do—I have to write all the additions and modifications to a standard real estate contract before I advertise.

I was getting pretty down on this whole thing, but going to SF activated me again. Our realtor there is a former college professor (fine arts) who lived in Bogotá for a while and then came to SF and decided real estate was right for her. We enjoy seeing her and talk about more than square feet and number of bathrooms.

Gene

Old 01-26-2012, 02:07 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
salida , Colorado
gene i wish i could tell you the name of the website. but i would forget my ass if it wasn't following so close....don't remember

Old 01-26-2012, 03:14 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2015 23' FB International
2007 19' International CCD
Steamboat Springs , Colorado
Gene,
Did Mad Dog Ranch ever sell? Does JC still own anything around your area?

Just curious.
Old 01-26-2012, 05:03 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Joe and Pam Cocker still have the Mad Dog Ranch. There are occasional Cocker sitings, although there seem to be fewer of them. They come here for the quiet and have one or more houses elsewhere. They have made contributions to the area—there's a Cocker Kids Foundation, for ex.

The restaurant (Mad Dog Restaurant and Fountain Cafe, or something like that) closed maybe 8 years ago and was sold at about half the asking price a few years ago. Partners reopened it as the Black Canyon Cafe about 2 years ago. They hired the best chef in the county and when he was cooking, it was pretty good. Other times, not so good.

Last year they tried to sell it to someone and that sale dragged on for months and months. The new guy fired the chef, so the chef opened a restaurant a block away. The sale fell through and those that liked really good food started going to the new restaurant instead. The BCC partners stopped getting along and the restaurant closed recently. It is now for sale.

The chef, Dick Berardi, is well known in Denver and here, though it is a struggle to attract customers in winter to an out of the way place. We love his food. He buys better food than the BCC did and prepares things in his own way. It is open for dinner every day and called the Vagabond. Best restaurant in Delta Co.

Gene
Old 01-26-2012, 05:14 PM   #19
Commercial Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Gene, there used to be a fairly good bbq place down in Hotchkiss near where Hwy 92 cuts off to Crawford. Is it still there? Any good?

Lynn
Old 01-26-2012, 05:29 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
You probably mean Zach's. I don't eat bbq since I want to live longer than my father did. I hear it is good.

Gene
Old 01-26-2012, 05:36 PM   #21
Commercial Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
That's the place, Gene! 'Course, when used to eat there, we were younger by about a decade and a half.

Lynn
Old 02-03-2012, 01:33 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Yesterday we bought maple to make a trailer dinette table to replace the Formica surfaced one.

I've been collecting information for selling the house. Home warranty quote I got was higher than I thought it would be. I'll have to call some other insurance agents. I've been researching various websites for sale by owner for cost comparisons. The first one I called—it seemed like the best deal—was not encouraging. The women who answered seemed ill informed and was supposed to call me back with more information. I've been waiting 2 days for that call. This outfit is much cheaper than the other prominent one and has all the same services. A guy down the road is listed with them, so if I can find his phone number I'll have to call him about his experience.

The photo of the table is below (so far). That's Webster's 2nd International on top to get some of the warp out. I'm trying to remember the best way to join warped wood. I can alternate the direction of the warp when I join them with biscuits. I can spray them with some water and keep them pressed down for a while. Only 2 of 5 pieces are warped enough to be a concern, so I can space them apart to minimize their effect. I intend to do this as simply as possible—just ease the edge slightly (perhaps) and put a small curve in the outside corners to reduce pain when we run into them. I am going to make the table 2" longer so there's a little more room on it. That will bring it out to where the seat cushions end. Any longer, asks for hitting it with our bodies. At each end I will join a strip of maple for 2 reasons—hide end grain and it looks better. I don't know if I will try to hide the end grain of the strips. I'm not good enough to be making furniture (I can restore it, but make it) but this seems easy enough for me.

Trying to find hard wood in a smaller city (Grand Junction) is not easy. The big box stores mostly have oak and some maple. The places that used to carry other hardwoods are out of business. We thought of waiting until we went to Denver at some point in the spring; we didn't have it together to look when we were in Santa Fe and Albuquerque. But natural maple is light colored and that will blend well with the trailer interior. We bought 2 planks at Sutherlands and 3 at Lowe's—that way we could get the one's with the fewest issues and the most attractive figure and color. Cost was close to $100 for wood. Sutherlands was a little more than a buck less each, but they only had 3 4' planks and 2 looked good, so we got the others at Lowe's.

At some point I'll figure out how to arrange them for the best effect and decide what to cut off. The OEM table depth is 35" and any deeper starts getting too close to those sitting at it. I may add a quarter inch on each side. Each board is 7 3/16 wide. Most are clean cut along the long edges, but some may need some pieces cut off to clear up some mars. I can leave the 3 center ones uncut (less chance of the saw causing some tear out, though I'll tape the up side). Then I have to cut off the excess at the ends. Best to cut as many boards at once to have them come out even, or cut them after they are all joined. The OEM table is 40", I will have the new one at 42". I also got a 1 x 2 strip to use at the ends. I'll cut that the long way, though I'm not sure how thick yet. I'll have some pieces from trimming he boards I could have used, but the 1 x 2 strip has some very nice figure along the edge than I though would look great.

When you apply a coating to bare wood, there are places in the wood that stand out once coated. They are where branches started growing or other things that happen when a tree grows. Bird's eye maple is cut differently, I believe, to get more of this, but you get less wood out of a tree. It is both more expensive and impossible to find here. We looked for things like bird's eye and there's some of it in what we picked. Sometimes you can find figure ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Figure_(wood) ) that looks 3 dimensional. The Wikipedia article has a photo of fiddleback figure that I tried to find for that 3 dimensional effect. Because this doesn't show up easily on bare wood, you have to study the wood carefully to see it.

I use clear oil based polyurethane. It is not clear, but close to it. It is easy and durable. Sometimes I put a coat of clear Danish oil on first, then follow with lots of coats of polyurethane. Danish oil is not clear either, so I'll do a test coat on some scrap. We want to have the wood a light color, but not too light. I also have 3 chairs to restore—I did 4 last winter. They need to be caned and that is not enjoyable—no matter how I set it up, I end up bending and my back starts complaining, so I'd rather do a table first (plus we don't really need the chairs).

It is easier to write about all this than do it.

Gene
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0262.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	150211  
Old 02-03-2012, 05:51 PM   #23
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Please refrain from using disparaging remarks about snakes. There are some perfectly fine snakes out there and to make refrence to them in the same sentence with " real estate agents" is a blot on their name.

PS: Good luck with your property sales. If you are at a high enough elevation you will not have any "SNAKES" to worry about. At least of the slithering sort.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 06:14 PM   #24
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Arrow

Gene's got a woodie.....get over on that other thread you rascal.

BTW.. what kind of dog is that standing on the Window Seat?

Bob

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 07:06 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
Actually I've known some very good and honest realtors, but like all professions, there are snakes too.
Polar', please accept my apologies to all snakes and sharks too. Some realtors are fine people though and we get along fine with most of them.

Bob, it isn't a dog and it isn't a window seat. It is a sofa table, though not by the sofa. It is a fake miniature sheep and such things can be found in abundance at trinket stores in NM. You may imagine I didn't buy it. I wondered how long it would take for someone to ask me about that. You win, but you must be present to collect the prize and you aren't.

After calling back Owners.com I got the same woman who was going to call me back 2 days ago and didn't. She said "Owners.com" and apparently dropped the phone. After a bunch of noisy bounces, she came back on and I asked to speak to someone else. She said no. I guess no one else was there. I think we will go with Forsalebyowners.com as they answer the phone without dropping it and seem more organized. They are a lot more expensive, but the percentage of the hoped for selling price is very small. They also appear to have twice as many hits on the internet as Owners.com. The other FSBO companies seem much smaller or have poor websites.

I also found a home warranty company that is a lot cheaper than the one I got a quote on a few days ago. I called a title company and asked what they knew about home warranties since that should appear in the paperwork. They suggested Home Warranty of America is most used by realtors around here. They were a couple of hundred dollars less per year. That was after calling several insurance agents who didn't even know what a home warranty was.

Gene
Old 02-03-2012, 08:19 PM   #26
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up

Boy am I glad...'cuz that would be one yougly dog.

Bob

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 01:38 AM   #27
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
I enjoyed buying, renovating and selling houses. Hate to have called it "flipping" as that connotes no regard for the property as a property, some thing that folks will cherish after purchase. On the other, am glad to be out of it for now. Hope that this house of yours will sell . . . maybe once the weather warms a little it'll get some showings.
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 05:17 AM   #28
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Corpus Christi , Texas
Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDNAX View Post
I enjoyed buying, renovating and selling houses. Hate to have called it "flipping" as that connotes no regard for the property as a property, some thing that folks will cherish after purchase. On the other, am glad to be out of it for now. Hope that this house of yours will sell . . . maybe once the weather warms a little it'll get some showings.
Rednax, you posted this at 20 till 2. AM! Do you ever sleep?

WBCCI 3805
AIR 54011 Since July 2011
casa3805 is offline   Reply With Quote