Old 10-13-2012, 04:55 PM   #253
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
Gene, hope you feel better soon. How has the new floor worked out?

By the way, leather steering wheels, or other cushy covers, can soak up the drool...

Tom

Old 10-14-2012, 09:02 AM   #254
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
The new post was lost to the ages by electronic mysteries.

Short form—

Feel better.

Floor looks good, but seams open and close with temps. Maybe I'm the only one who sees it since I installed it.

Found cakelady; thanked her personally.

Our 3 aspen trees are gold; 3 of 4 apricot trees are red.

Lots of magpies, sign of winter coming. Hard freezes while we were away, but not now so I don't have to run trailer heat.

Local reservoir lowest we've ever seen it. El Niño is back, but mild. Hope we get lots of snow, but it'll take years to make up for 2012 drought.

Gene

Old 10-21-2012, 07:09 PM   #255
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
We're getting ready for the trip to the northwest and slowly, ever so slowly, getting over the cough from the cold from Albuquerque.

I just changed the oil and filter, checked fluids and greased the truck. Some cleaning necessary and maybe hose the dirt off quickly. I have been going over the maps and plotting out the route. The idea is to get to the Columbia Gorge quickly with a detour to see Barb's cousins in Richland, Wash. Then west on I-84 to a campground yet to be named possibly in Troutdale, Oregon. Next day over to Washougal where there's a Pendleton Mill and store with bargains. Then north to Port Townshend and looking at the water.

Around the Olympic Penninsula and down the coast. We may stop at La Push where there's an Indian owned RV park on the ocean. Barb is interested in a kite museum just before Astoria in Wash. Astoria (Oregon, not the one in NYC) has a Lewis and Clark fort. Then to the WW II plane museum in Tillamook. Not sure what else right now except to find good cable TV and wifi for election night. Oh, there's really good pizza in Gualala, Cal. and a campground on the ocean with mixed reviews in Anchor Bay, just north. They want $10 to make a reservation, so we may go to the county park just south of Gualala. And we eventually get to Kernville, Cal., to see an old friend who lives there now.

Whether I'll get to balloon photos depends on how much time we have in the next 4 days. Have to get flu shots too.

Gene
Old 10-23-2012, 05:45 PM   #256
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
I tried headlight lens restorer on the Tundra a couple of days ago. I can report Blue Magic doesn't do much of anything. Today I bought Turtle Wax restorer and it seems to have worked fairly well, though when the sealer dries by tomorrow, I'll know for sure. The Tundra got vacuumed and the windows cleaned yesterday, but washing the truck was more than we wanted to do. Pacific coast rain should wash it off.

The reason we are going to the coast via the Columbia Gorge is to avoid things like the 2' of snow that fell in the Sierra Nevada and Lake Tahoe. The storm should blow through here Wed. and Thurs. with a slight chance of snow on Thursday night. My greatest concern in on US 6 between Green River, Utah and Provo. The highway goes over Soldier Summit and some snow is forecast this week, but by Sat., it should be fine. We have made it to Provo from here on day 1, but I doubt we will this time. There are some campgrounds on the way in Wellington and Price, but reviews are bad to awful for them. One in Helper seemed fine though. Helper was the scene of a coal mining disaster several years ago.

Tomorrow we load as much as we can so the day before we leave is not exhausting. That's the plan, not often often fulfilled.

November forecasts for Oregon and Washington coasts are below normal temps and precipitation. N. Cal. coast is average for both. Last time I checked weather in northwest Washington, it was high probability of rain all week. Maybe "below normal" means rain only 20 hours a day.

Tonight there is a planning committee meeting about a gravel pit in a residential area. I've been on this committee for more than 10 years and have seen some nasty confrontations, and I suspect I'll see another one tonight.

Gene
Old 10-23-2012, 06:56 PM   #257
Full Timers/Diesel power.

1983 31' Airstream310
Cactus Hug , Arizona
I see you're on this thread, which seems better, instead of my propane thread. Have you pulled I-84 from Ontario, ID to Pendelton, OR before? It can be nasty in there, as can the Columbia River Gorge with ice. Try Maryhill S.P off 84 on the WA side at Biggs.
Old 10-23-2012, 07:23 PM   #258
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Temps for next Monday (when we'll be driving through the Gorge) seem warm enough. I can't remember what sections of I-84 in northeast Oregon we've been on, but I have no special memory of it.

Gene
Old 10-24-2012, 10:22 AM   #259
Full Timers/Diesel power.

1983 31' Airstream310
Cactus Hug , Arizona
You should be fine. Being a "mountain man", I know you have top-notch brakes, so you'll be ready for the 6% drop into Pendleton on I-84. It's called "Cabbage Hill", "Deadman's Pass", but more correctly, "Emigrant Hill". It is daunting for heavy trucks coming west from Meacham Summit. Slow, but sure. A lot of rigs get busted at the bottom as the Oregon State Police find it a money maker as everyone picks up speed.
Old 10-24-2012, 11:21 AM   #260
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
I once went off the road in Ohio in 1977 on "Deadman's Curve" after an ice storm had coated the road. When we lived in Evergreen, Colo., there was another "Deadman's Curve", but I stayed on the road. There must be hundreds of "Deadman's … ". I'll go down the hill slowly.

Looks like it'll rain here today so I can get used to the northwest ahead of time.

Gene
Old 10-25-2012, 07:21 PM   #261
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
The weather turned nasty yesterday afternoon—dark clouds, windy, cold, humid (for here). The rain or snow predicted didn't happen though it snowed this afternoon for a few minutes. It feels like the beginning of winter is here and it is supposed to be 18˚ tonight.

Packing is proceeding normally. Yesterday I went to start the truck and it barely turned over and then I noticed one of interior lights had been on for 2 days. I charged the battery and all is well again. Truck is hitched, fridge is partly packed, clothes and food mostly done. I replaced 2 screws at the back of a bedroom drawer that had ripped out when the drawer flew out on our last trip.

Since we only want to go as far as Green River tomorrow, we are in good shape. If we get going early, maybe we'll go further, but that decision doesn't have to be made yet.

Some balloon photos:

1. Creamland cow balloon. This balloon is very hard to fill and it didn't get off the first time they tried, but did a day or 2 later.

2. The Darth Vader balloon is always popular (you want to be on the right side with Darth, don't you?). Darth himself appeared.

3. Balloons being filled.

4. Propane being flared in the evening for the evening show. Hundreds of balloons are filled and they light them up for the show. They don't take off in the dark.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	balloons1.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	46.8 KB
ID:	171338   Click image for larger version

Name:	balloons2.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	171339  

Name:	balloons3.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	171340   Click image for larger version

Name:	balloons4.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	171341  

Old 10-25-2012, 07:29 PM   #262
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
More:

1 and 2. Balloons over the 116 Airstreams. Next year 200 spaces have been reserved for the Airstream contingent.

3. One of the gas balloons after lift off. These are for a long distance race and some made it to the east coast. One made it to NC to win.

4. A Brazilian balloon named Aaron, Elvis' middle name.

Gene
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	balloons5.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	31.2 KB
ID:	171342   Click image for larger version

Name:	balloons6.jpg
Size:	28.1 KB
ID:	171343  

Name:	balloons7.jpg
Size:	21.4 KB
ID:	171344   Click image for larger version

Name:	balloons8.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	29.8 KB
ID:	171345  

Old 10-25-2012, 10:43 PM   #263
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, Gene. Have great trip. If worried about the weather you could visit Lakewood; I heard that the chances of snow are quite low this winter.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 06:53 AM   #264
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
After a morning of final packing, we left home shortly after 11 am and arrived at the Green River, Utah, KOA shortly after 3. This is a basic park, but fine for our first night. Good wifi (recently upgraded) and lots of TV channels. The bad thing here is that if it has rained, the sandy sights result in bringing lots of sand on our shoes into the trailer; the good thing is this is desert and rain is rare.

Propane is very expensive—$4.16/gallon. But with temps in the 20's this morning, propane at any price seems a good thing. I don't like to have less than one full tank, so I had one filled. But when I woke at 4 am, it was cold, very cold. The furnace had been running all night (I guess, I was out cold, literally) but the temp in the main cabin was 46˚. I crawled under the dinette table and found the register was mostly closed. A couple of years ago I replaced 3 OEM registers with ones that could be closed and the rear one was mostly closed and the one in the hallway was partially closed. We keep the bedroom one closed because we like a cold bedroom, but not this cold. I opened the two registers all the way (not the bedroom; bathroom is an OEM one and is permanently open) and the temp immediately started to go up—it is 60˚ now. I don't know whether the registers close themselves, but we have to watch that as it happened once before. This was a relief as I was worried the furnace wasn't operating properly and I didn't want to be pulling it out and figuring out what was wrong.

Today we drive to Idaho hoping to get close to 500 miles so we can so we get to Richland, Wash., earlier on Sunday. Since we were wide awake, perhaps because of the cold, we decided to stay up and get everything ready. We always go for breakfast at the next door restaurant as part of our trips west. The Tamarisk (part of a large and pretty nice motel) has fairly good food and some of the tables overlook the Green River. 10% off if you stay at the KOA.

Gene
Old 10-27-2012, 08:59 AM   #265
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Have a good trip, Gene.

At least you're not headed for the East coast!

Maggie
Old 10-27-2012, 10:26 PM   #266
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
After reading reviews about an RV park in Mountain Home, Idaho, that were the best I've seen for any campground, we decided to go further than the Twin Falls area—478.3 miles. The trip was fast after a cold night and low temps crossing mountains in Utah. The I-15 corridor from Provo to well north of Salt Lake City was busy as always with the usual, permanent construction. I thought they rebuilt this thing for the Olympics? Do they just rebuilt every few years? The rest of the way on I-84 was less traffic and boring, boring and boring.

As in Colorado, the Utah mountains were beginning to be snow capped and east of SLC, the snow level was down to around 6,000'. Across Solider Summit there was a little snow by the sheltered north-facing slopes. But no snow nor rain for us. The day started sunny, but by the time were were getting close to Idaho, the sky was filled with clouds. Approaching Mountain Home, the mountains to north were getting rain or snow and the weather was blustery and grey. It felt like rain was coming—and it will, tomorrow as we go north.

We are at Mountain Home RV park. It is a nice place, well kept and landscaped. Pads are concrete and level. Since we never stopped for lunch after pigging out for breakfast, we didn't care much for whatever else was here and hold up in the trailer and ate dinner and relaxed. After napping for about 20 minutes while Barb drove and then dosing myself with a couple cups of well caffeinated tea, I feel energized. A a short 350 miles tomorrow. Interstates may be boring, but they get you there fast. We cross some mountains in NE Oregon and hope not to see any snow—forecast is rain and low 50's after 38˚ in the morning at Blue Mountain Summit. We'll also pass through Baker City—if I remember correctly that's where Wally Byam grew up. We'll say hello as we pass by.

I don't know whether it is ok to park on the street around the corner from Barb's cousins' house or we will stay in the Pasco KOA. Reviews of it aren't very good, but it is close. We'll find out about the street tomorrow.

Gene