Old 06-30-2012, 06:12 PM   #211
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
I continued to forget the camera when we drove around to various neighborhoods on Thursday. We learned more about the area on this trip. We arrived home yesterday afternoon after having experienced 10 minutes of rain—first we've seen in 3+ months. It rained twice here while we were away-maybe 20 minutes in all.

Lightning hit a power line while we were away and the water company filter plant shut down for 7 hours. All the water drained out of the system. When it came on it pushed the silt that normally accumulates in water lines and it clogged up things, so our water shut off. I replaced the whole house filter last night and it was clogged up again this morning. I left the filter out—I had no more filters anyway—and water is good now, though there's probably silt suspended in it. I also replaced the pressure switch on our booster pump—it was clogged up too. Then I had 2 drains that were clogged just because that's what drains do. One I solved with a toilet plunger and the other was even simpler. The clip that holds the part that moves the stopper up and down came off; no clog in that one after all. Then a coupling on a hose for the drip irrigation came apart. Still have to fix that. The coupling was there because I drove the mower over the hose with the deck too low. it took a perfect slice out of the side of the hose. I need to go to plumbing school.

We anxiously watch the fire news. The fires in the Front Range foothills are 240 miles east of us, but most people who live in or near the mountains have to worry. Grass fires in the plains spread even faster—that's what happened in Texas and Oklahoma in the past few years. We have lots of friends in the foothills and trees are close to their houses. Here, the forest is cut back at least 100' from the house, but you have to be concerned. Every time I hear someone on TV say: "all those things are replaceable", I cringe. We make our homes and all the things inside an expression of us and when they are burned, we lose something of us. It is like a little death. The videos on TV are terrifying.

Maybe a trip to Denver then camping somewhere in about a month. Now we wait for the phone to ring for someone who wants to buy the house. Prices are stabilizing most places and even going up in some. If people are confident prices will never go lower and this is the time to buy, we will be in good shape.

We were too tired yesterday to empty the trailer completely. Actually Barb has done most of it while I became a plumber. I tried to have my pants slip down low so I'd look like a plumber when I bent over (I'm sure you are enjoying the visual on that thought). Right now the trailer is parked right in front of my window and it looks pretty good. Nice sight, thought not quite a good as the mountains all around. Have to move is soon.

Gene

Old 06-30-2012, 07:12 PM   #212
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Gene,

Glad you all are safe, the visuals on the tube are terrifying.

Can't imagine what it's like.

Peace....

Bob

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 06:43 PM   #213
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Since we returned home the summer monsoons have arrived. We had a gully washer and it caused gullies in the driveway—850' long. A neighbor bladed it for us and we have been raking and smoothing the rest slowly. The rain also brought 2 leaks inside the trailer. The bathroom fan is leaking again even though I thought I had solved it, and the rear Fantastic Fan started leaking (that is an annual event). I have to get to that soon. Glad to have finally had some rain after 3 months without and it'll take a while to catch up on moisture.

Today I was looking underneath looking for problems and I found one—a very slow drip from the black plastic box between the wheels and axles. I think the fresh water tank is there. I have read about loose connections and hope that is the problem. Now I have to figure out the easiest access—maybe there is no easy access. There are 4 metal straps supporting the plastic box and if the straps and box are removed, I guess the tank falls down. The leak showed up at one strap, the 2nd one from the curbside. I have to start reading about fresh water tanks. More curiously, there is a hole about 1 1/2" in diameter in the bottom of the black plastic box, not all that far from the leak, but it wasn't wet. It almost looks like it was cut with a hole saw with the kind of rough edge a hole saw would cause in ABS (the plastic looks like ABS). That would be easy enough to seal, but why and how did it get there?

We will make a quick trip to Denver and then to a FS campground overlooking Taylor Res.—this is northeast of Gunnison and Crested Butte would be to the NW. That's in a couple of weeks. We had some people interested in the house, but no follow up from them. We found out one had talked to a local realtor and we all agreed he was full of it. The others, who knows?

We hear lots of thunder and maybe some rain is coming.

Gene
Old 07-22-2012, 10:26 PM   #214
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Ship some up here, Gene, the lawns and farmers' fields here are all light brown and in their dormant stage.
Old 07-22-2012, 11:00 PM   #215
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Gig Harbor , Washington
Gene, How hot is it where you are and is there any water in the tank? If you have water in the tank in all probability it's condensation you're seeing. We're home.
If you really think the tank is leaking put a little bit of food coloring in the water and wait for it to show up.
Dan
Old 07-23-2012, 10:03 AM   #216
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
I started another thread about the fresh water tank leak: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f443...eak-94086.html

I thought about condensation. I think there is foam insulation under the tank, but I can't see if there really is. If so, it seems there'd have to be a lot of condensation to work through or around the board.

We had another hard rain yesterday afternoon. It rarely rains for very long, so it comes down hard, a lot runs down hill to California, but we love it all. Aage, I'd gladly send you some but there's some sort of border problem with that and I don't have an export license. The grasses are starting to get green here after months of brown. The good thing about drought is I don't have to mow much, but in a few more weeks there may be some growth.

Gene
Old 07-23-2012, 04:57 PM   #217
Rivet Master

2005 31' Classic
Cleveland , Tennessee
I remember when growing up in Sonoma Valley, CA, and later in various parts of the state, summers were always marked with endless hills, valley's and flat lands being dry and brown even the oak trees seemed to lack color. The recent fires you guys had recently reminded me of the constant threat of fires, one of last major one's I remember before traveling east was the Panorama fire in San Bernardino in 1980 (I was in Riverside). I'm hoping all who needs rain, that they may have some of ours and that when you do get it, it is not a gusher!

Terry

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will take you there." Lewis Carroll

AIR #38011
TAC TN-4
NOVA
Steelegood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 05:35 PM   #218
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
I guess I'll take a gusher over none at all, but yesterday's messed up our driveway again, though not as badly as the one a couple of weeks ago. Once I get the leaks fixed we can get back to the driveway. I was about to start on the water tank again after trying a second time to seal the rear FF, when it started raining again. I need to adopt a teenager, young enough so they do what I tell them, and old enough to be strong, so the teenager can fix the driveway; after that they can run away from home.

What I said when it started raining cannot be printed here, but I did say it very loudly, so some of you may have heard it.

Gene
Old 08-07-2012, 09:43 PM   #219
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
The two leaks on the roof have been fixed (and fixed over a few times) and the fresh water tank has a new drain spigot. I ended up using a hose bib since it was the only thing I could find that would fit. I also found an access hole cut in the bottom of the plastic box that supports the tank. The dealer cut it to access the tank monitor and fashioned a plate that did not cover all of it. I made a cover that fit out of some aluminum sheeting. This will seal the area from losing heat.

Today we arrived in Denver to take care of a few things and then go to Taylor Park Res.—about 40 miles NE of Gunnison—and stay at a FS campground. That's what I'm looking forward to.

Denver is busy and hot—98˚ in one place. Supposed to stay that way while we are here. I'm not used to people cutting me off on highways, but it happens all the time here. It reminds me of one reason we moved to middle of nowhere.

Gene
Old 08-08-2012, 08:25 AM   #220
4 Rivet Member

2015 23' FB International
2007 19' International CCD
Steamboat Springs , Colorado
Gene,
I believe I saw you on I70 yesterday afternoon as I was headed west on my way home from a day trip to Denver. Can't miss the blue Tundra and Airstream!
Old 08-08-2012, 01:38 PM   #221
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Steamy',

We got to Denver (actually Golden) around 2:30. We saw a couple of Airstreams coming east on I-70. Unless you like to take yours on a day trip (that portable bathroom is a good thing to have with you at all times), I guess you weren't one of them.

At Dakota Ridge there's a 1957 7-panel in really good shape, an Avion that looks to be about 34' and another Airstream over way to the west of us. Then a lot of MH's the size of Mars and a bunch of 5th wheels. They first assigned us to a old asphalt pad that was very uneven, but I didn't want that, so we got the concrete pad next to it. Most are concrete, but there are a few older ones. This place is called a resort and has a lot of resort things we don't need, but it is convenient to the expressways and we can get into Denver fast. Otherwise there's not much decent in RV campgrounds on the west side. This place is well kept, but feels crowded anyway, not because the spaces are too close, but because of the terrain and the giant MH's.

We took care of most of our business here early, but will go out to look for a nibbler—a tool that cuts little bites out of sheet metal where there's little space behind it and you're afraid of cutting something behind it. Good for the belly pan and other sheet metal issues. They don't have them at Lowe's and Home Depot, so we'll go look at tool stores later.

Cheapest gas in Denver was $3.35.

Gene
Old 08-08-2012, 03:38 PM   #222
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Hi Gene

I needed to cut a whole in the pan under my waste valves. I have an air nibbler at home, but I was in Florida and wanted something cheap. I bought a electric nibbler at Harbor Freignt for about $60. It did a good job and certainly seems like a fairly well made tool. Gonna try to sell it at the campground flea market this year when we go back. The metal under the tanks is right at the limit for the nibbler.

It was a tough cut even with the nibbler. Cuts fine. But under the airstream it was really hard to keep it cutting straight. I have a nice square patch over the hole, but the hole itself is a trapezoid of some sort. Looks a lot like a factory hole, I guess.
Old 08-09-2012, 09:13 AM   #223
4 Rivet Member

2015 23' FB International
2007 19' International CCD
Steamboat Springs , Colorado
Gene,
Have you ever stayed in Chatfield State Park? I did a drive-through and it looks pretty nice. I will have to bring the dogs down to the vet which will last about two days, and I thought it would be more pleasant to bring the Airstream and stay at Chatfield instead of a hotel.

Also need to have my wheel bearings packed and the brakes cleaned and adjusted. Need to find someone to do the work. Not comfortable with the dealer and I really do not want to tackle it myself, though I guess it may come to that.

But Chatfield looked like a good option. Really not all that faar from I70.
Old 08-09-2012, 10:16 AM   #224
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Steamy,

I've never been there. We find it best when we come to Denver to stay on the west side since most things we need are easy to access from there and we don't have to tow the trailer through Denver traffic.

Good luck with the wheel bearings and brakes.

Today we leave for Taylor Reservoir. We decided to take Cottonwood Pass since the road from Gunnison has 8 miles of construction, so we can't avoid a bumpy road either way. Three nights in the void—no wifi and no cellphone. I may freak after a while and have to be medicated.

I got a nibbler at Tool King and then salivated over all the tools for a while. Now I can cut holes in sheet metal where ever I go.

Gene