Old 05-07-2012, 10:14 PM   #169
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Gene,

I know how you feel...I find it hard to stop urinthaining aslo.
Table looks good though.

Bob

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 11:26 AM   #170
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
We got two cushions yesterday, finally. Five to go. She's been late on this over and over. More are supposed to be ready tomorrow and we have to have all 7 in a week. They look good, but I need more to make a photo worthwhile.

The guys interested in the house told their realtor they were in an auto accident, one was in the hospital 4 or 5 days later and they were still interested. It appeared they were very interested before this latest thing. It's hard to not be skeptical. All the stories we have heard can be true, but the drama is hard to take. We continue to pack nonessentials (there are a lot of those), throw things away and try to sell a few things. I did get the "for sale" sign done and a sort of brochure and planted the sign at the end of the driveway—I suppose there's a .000001% chance someone will be wandering around this rural county road looking for a log house, get the info and call us and buy it, so I guess it is worth it.

We go to Ouray in 9 days for a 5 day getaway. Can't wait and hope we have all the cushions. I have to start summerizing the trailer and wash and wax it. Allergy season has hit with full force.

Gene

Old 05-11-2012, 12:53 PM   #171
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Blaine , Washington
Looks like we will miss each other by a few days. We will be in Colorado City this weekend and Loveland the early part of next week before continuing north to WY.

John
Old 05-14-2012, 06:59 PM   #172
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Summerizing is in progress. I went through almost all of the checklist from the owner's manual plus a bunch of other stuff. The tongue needs to be scraped, sanded or otherwise cleaned up and repainted, but everything else looks ok so far. Paint can wait and repacking the wheel bearings can wait longer. I mounted the WiFi booster on the TV antenna and have to install the kit they sent to work around the power issues. Six days before we leave.

The For Sale By Owner sign was messed up the day after I put it out. The plastic sign which mounts in a metal frame blew out of it. I used lots of washers and some wood strip backing this time plus drilled some holes in the sign to let the wind through. No word from the potential buyers.

The cushions—we are still waiting. One is ready, but the seamstress didn't want to have us drive over to where she works for just one. That was on Sat. We are waiting and waiting. She can only fit 3 in her truck, so if she is going to finish this in time, she'd better have 3 tomorrow. That gives her a few days to do 2 more.

Maybe I'll have enough energy to wash the trailer tomorrow. The truck needs to be detailed. I need a full body transplant or a few days extreme rest. I wonder if Barb would like a 20 year old with my brain? Maybe she'd just like the 20 year old with his own brain.

Gene
Old 05-14-2012, 07:36 PM   #173
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up Maybe just two 40 year oldies....

Allmost done here too, just a good wash job and quick seal left.
Acryl-R'd all the window seams and above the rear trunk. New brk shoes and re-pack done in March. Sandra's doing the clean thing inside, should be ready for the trip up North over the M-day weekend.

Good luck, Stream Happy

Bob

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 08:24 PM   #174
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
We washed it yesterday and I polished about 2/3 of it. This morning, we finished the polishing. Instead of the Griot's Paint Sealant we've used for several years, we used their new product, One Step Sealant. I think it is quicker to use and polishes to a better shine. This is best applied with an orbital polisher and then finished with a microfiber cloth.

Unfortunately it also spreads sealant all over the place as the polisher spins. When I waited for it to stop after I turned it off, it managed to spray my face with sealant too. I did this over and over proving I need help. But the trailer looks like new—unless you get real close and see the various insults of the road (scratches, dents, pits). Barb has cleaned the interior. Tomorrow I hitch it and sanitize the water system.

We got three more cushions yesterday and they look pretty good. Quality of the work ranges from very good to pretty good. It is a lot better looking than the crappy job Airstream did. Two more are supposed to be ready tomorrow. That would be all of them. With a new floor, table and cushions, the trailer will look elegant (except for the Formica walls and kitchen counter).

I have yet to finish the wifi booster and install the kit. I'll try to do that tomorrow. The 19" Vizio is installed too. I don't know if there is still a translator in this valley—everyone we know has satellite—so maybe I'll look for it tomorrow. We did discover the Sony DVD player does not work on the bedroom, no surprise because it only has a coax connection, but I thought I'd try it.

Polishing a trailer is like polishing a whale except it doesn't complain, but it is big. I want to be very lazy right now. Tomorrow back to work.

No news about the prospective purchasers. I am thinking that was a dream and I've woken up to reality.

Gene
Old 05-17-2012, 12:43 PM   #175
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
One more cushion, 6 down and 1 to go. A photo below of the streetside. The color is a reddish brown commonly used on Mission Oak furniture for cushions. The seamstress told Barb she was charging $25. That's for 7 cushions! While her work isn't the best, it is still good. But $25? We'll try to talk her into taking more.

Also a photo of the shiny trailer. The shop is reflected in the side.

Gene
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cushions.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	193.0 KB
ID:	158653   Click image for larger version

Name:	Shiny 2012.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	263.6 KB
ID:	158654  

Old 05-17-2012, 01:17 PM   #176
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Sorry to hear you're having so much trouble selling your big ole house.

I have many real estate offices as clients, and the people in the industry really run the gamut.

They also DO go through the FSBO listings quite a bit. May I make a suggestion? Find the top 10 glamour market real estate agents, people who sell in Beverly Hills, NYC and other "golden" areas. Send them your complete listing and offer them a 3% commission for any one time showing that leads to a sale.

There are people with money who know it's a buyers market - and the realtors who are connected to the rich and famous might consider your house to be a perfect vay-cay "cottage" for their clients. They sure as hell won't help you without money crossing their palms though.

If you do decide to list with an agent again, it's virtually imperative that you look for one that hangs his/her shingle in an office with nationwide links - Long & Foster is big on relocations in this end of the country - I don't know which chain is biggest in the West, but I definitely wouldn't deal with an independently owned office or a chain that doesn't do a lot of business in relocations or second homes.

Oh - and go travel - forward you home phone to the cell phone... it's the best way to get a really interested buyer on the hook. Set up a next day appointment if you have to, then make a wild ride home!

Good luck, Paula
Old 05-17-2012, 02:08 PM   #177
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Gig Harbor , Washington
Gene, the cushions look very nice. When ours wear out or become to dirty to look good we will recover in vinyl as well. These will be comfortable and be much easier to keep clean. Wow 25 bucks for all of that work. What a deal. Housing in this area is selling and my neighbor tells me that he has had to bid up on several deals. Prices are still not as high as they were in 2007 and I don't expect them to return for many years. That was crazy. I know all real estate is local and regional and a good market in one area is not an indication of the overall health of the industry. Having said that I think nationally things are rebounding. People need shelter, that never changes. Remember it only takes one person. Just tell everybody Hunter Thompson used to hang out there and maybe the Hollywood croud will come.
Dan
Old 05-17-2012, 02:54 PM   #178
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Hunter used to live 2 hours away and maybe when they shot his ashes up in the air, some of him fell down here. So, I could claim he visited.

We supplied the vinyl and Velcro, but $25 is still unbelievable. Get stuff done in a remote rural county where incomes are very low and this is what happens.

Paula, a good idea. I'll have to ask our Santa Fe realtor her ideas on that and who would we contact. The local realtors don't think that way and most of them just wait for someone to come in the door; the internet is kind of strange to them.

Gene
Old 05-17-2012, 03:26 PM   #179
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
May I make a suggestion? Find the top 10 glamour market real estate agents, people who sell in Beverly Hills, NYC and other "golden" areas. Send them your complete listing and offer them a 3% commission for any one time showing that leads to a sale.
Excellent idea. Doesn't cost a cent to do, and 3% is worth it to move an unusual home such as your, Gene. Bravo Paula!
Old 05-22-2012, 07:27 PM   #180
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
After a 2 day visit from my in-laws, we left Sunday at noon ready to rest after a grueling week of preparation and visitors. No problems towing 90 miles to the KOA in Ouray. The biggest problem was cleaning a washer on the water hose so it didn't leak at the campground spigot.

I have been sleeping a lot after too much working. We met our friend from Denver, Kevin, here. His wife had to work so, we are having fun together, but she is missed. He's staying in a Kamping Kabin. Never seen one before—a double bed mattress and 2 bunks with same. No heat, water, but electricity.

Went to Telluride today and photos will follow at a later time.

The trailer looks great with the new floor (amazing how much of a difference it makes), newly covered cushions and new table. The table is a bit bigger than the OEM one and the extra space make it much easier to put all my electronic devices on it and eat too. After some struggle, the WiFi booster is working though not really needed here. Good to know it works.

Gene
Old 05-23-2012, 12:18 PM   #181
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Telluride was a 19th century mining town which at one time had 5,000 people (about 2,200 now). Gold and silver was the lure, but the ore was mixed with tellurium (hence the name of the town) which made it hard to extract the gold and silver from the ore. They had to have pretty good percentages of the precious metals to make money, so when the best ore had been mined, production tapered off and the town began a decline through most of the 20th century.

In the 1970's, developers arrived with a plan to rebuilt and expand the small ski area and built a new town of vacation homes on the top of one of the mountains—Mountain Village. Much of the time Mountain Village is deserted because few people actually live there.

The developers told the locals nothing would change. Somehow people believe things like this or figure they will make a lot of money. The town was kind of run down and the people bought the story. Some must have made a lot on selling property. Today many of the Victorian buildings have been preserved, but a lot of faux-Victorian buildings have been built. The side streets seem to be mostly new faux-Victorian. The town is a lot neater, but most people can't afford to live here. The main street is mostly tourist shops.

It is located in a box canyon. East of the town are the Idarado mine buildings—one of several big mines in the area. It looks like something is going on there. There are 2 4WD roads going east toward Ouray—Black Bear and Imogene. Black Bear climbs the head of the canyon in a series of narrow switch backs. Imogene takes a less scary route. There are 2 waterfalls at the end of the canyon and one powers a hydroelectric plant that powers the town. The original plant was built during the early mining days and Telluride was one of the first towns to have electricity. We've driven a lot of the old wagon and mining roads in Colorado, but never got to these 2 and probably won't. We did the 4WD thing and now are more likely to luxuriate in our Airstream.

The wifi at this KOA is filtered and I may not be able to upload photos. I'll try.

It failed. More and more campgrounds are using filtered wifi and it is hard if not impossible to sent photos. Since lots of people send photos from trips to friends and relatives, this is not good business.

Gene
Old 05-23-2012, 12:46 PM   #182
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
Lived in Telluride in the 1980's when it was fun. One of the Rotary Club projects was to install an RV dump station on Coonskin Drive at the west end of town. Town council refused to allow us to put up a sign as they did not want RV's in the Town Park! We also started the Telluride Rotary 4x4 Tour that raised money for youth activities and scholarships in San Miguel County. In the 20 years that the Tour operated, over 50% of the trails were closed by well meaning tree huggers!