Old 04-23-2012, 01:53 PM   #155
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD FB
Holladay , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by eubank
A friend of mine once explained the deviations from the wiring color in "the book" in a similar fashion: When the good folks at the MG factory ran short of a given wire, they'd run down to the nearest corner store and buy some while waiting for the big shipment from Lucas. Not an exact match, but close enough, and it kept the factory up and running.

Lynn
This reminds me of an old joke :

Question: Why do the English drink warm beer?

Answer: They have Lucas refrigerators.

Ok, maybe this is only funny to those of us who have had British cars.

Old 04-23-2012, 03:12 PM   #156
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashSilver View Post

I have had British sports cars and fully concur with the intent of the joke. But it wasn't just Lucas parts that were junk…. The cars were fun to drive, though.

We've been arranging and re-arranging the maple boards that will make up the new dinette table. We picked the boards for figure and color and seem to have found a balance in design. It is time to start gluing them together, but first some sanding to get the edges absolutely matched.

Real furniture makers get the edges perfect and you can't tell there is a seam there except the boards have different grain patterns. This is not easy for me, but I did it when I had to reassemble a 140 year old ash table where the pieces had split from dryness and needed to be put back together. Considering the value of that table—an early Chinese Eastlake design probably from the 1870's—this was a very scary restoration. It came out very well, but that was 11 years ago, so I have to remember what I did. The maple boards may have been cut straight, but warp has developed in various directions, so sanding is necessary. This is the kind of thing where I get tired of it after awhile and want to just glue and hope; that is not a good approach.

The original Formica table is 35 1/16" x 40. I will make it 42" front to back—that is how far out the seat cushions go. I will add a little more depth—maybe as much as 1". That would mean I wouldn't have to cut down those outer edges, but it depends how crisp the edges are. I'll put some end pieces on the front and back edges—I found a 1 1/2" piece with some excellent figure in it, so I'll cut it in half the long way and use that. This hides the end grain. A real furniture maker would put a return on the end of the strip to cover that end grain, but like doing miters, I am not qualified. I will try to cut the ends of the strip facing the kitchen in a curve to hide the end grain instead and make those corners less painful when we walk into them (this is inevitable).

So, first, do some sanding to clean up the boards a bit, then cut the pockets for the biscuits, glue, and when the glue sets, do the next board. I may do 2 boards from each end, let the glue dry until tomorrow and then put the 5 big boards together the next day. Next end pieces. This will require either brads and glue or dowels and glue—they will be too thin for biscuits. Then sand and coat with multiple layers of exterior urethane. Lastly, cut down the leg 1/8" and assemble everything to install it in the trailer. The table is never big enough for duties as desk and dining, but it will be a little bigger.

Gene

Old 04-29-2012, 04:24 PM   #157
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
The table received the 5th coat of urethane today. If it dries in time, it'll get a 6th later today. I'll stop at 7 or 8, attach the leg and assembly for the wall attachment and it'll be done. Photos will follow.

If I do about 5 more of these, I'll get it right. I needed a planer to get the boards flat and I could have run them through the table saw to get the sides absolutely straight, but forgot to. Instead I sanded them and never got it perfect. I've been doing the urethane in the shop and that is dusty and the finish is not perfect either. I could have done it in the house, but we had a realtor come here, so I didn't want to the house to smell like solvents.

The floor shrinks when it is cold—mostly the long way. The seams open. It has been colder the last week, so I'm hoping when the temps go up, they will close.

We are waiting and waiting for the seamstress to have some cushions done. I am anxious to see them. We have been promised last week, but then it became later this week. These delays worry me.

I finally got the listings on MLS and realtor.com mostly correct. Typos, misinformation and the amount of photos have been continuing problems. The company I contracted with subcontracts to another for these listings and they don't communicate well and the subcontractor does not read the e-mails carefully. So I have to get more aggressive with each e-mail and play them off against each other. This is all childish, but it is what I have to deal with. When you consider what I hope to save on commissions, it is worth it.

The good news is that a cash buyer from N. England saw the listing and contacted a realtor. He came to see the place yesterday and spent quite a bit of time. The potential buyers have discussed flying out here to see the house and probably some other properties. This sounds too good to be true at this point and I am trying not to get excited, not all that successfully. In the meantime, I have been filling out some of the disclosures that I will have to do anyway and need to write the attachments to the counteroffer that I will be doing someday. Meanwhile, it appears prices are stabilizing in Santa Fe generally and an area we are more interested in has seen them drop even more. Sales are up, but much of that is foreclosures and short sales, so prices are even.

Gene
Old 04-29-2012, 04:44 PM   #158
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
The good news is that a cash buyer from N. England saw the listing and contacted a realtor. He came to see the place yesterday and spent quite a bit of time. The potential buyers have discussed flying out here to see the house and probably some other properties. This sounds too good to be true at this point and I am trying not to get excited, not all that successfully. In the meantime, I have been filling out some of the disclosures that I will have to do anyway and need to write the attachments to the counteroffer that I will be doing someday. Meanwhile, it appears prices are stabilizing in Santa Fe generally and an area we are more interested in has seen them drop even more. Sales are up, but much of that is foreclosures and short sales, so prices are even.

Gene

Mmmmm, sounds promising.

Fingers crossed.

Maggie
Old 04-29-2012, 05:58 PM   #159
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD FB
Holladay , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene
The good news is that a cash buyer from N. England saw the listing and contacted a realtor.

Gene
Ok, this may be a stupid question, but what is a "cash buyer"? I thought all sales were settled in cash. Does this mean a buyer not requiring a mortgage backed loan, because he has saved the purchase price before making an offer? Or is there another definition? I have never heard this term used before. Some buyers want you to partially finance them by way of a second mortgage, is this a "non- cash buyer"?
Old 04-29-2012, 06:06 PM   #160
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
A cash buyer is one with all the cash necessary to buy the property. No mortgage, no land sale contract, no mortgage held by seller.

A cash buyer is the best because a lot of mortgages fall through now and the seller is left holding the house they may have moved from, have it effectively off the market for a while, and then they can argue about the escrow. The rate of closings that don't happen has become much higher than usual because banks will pull out at the last minute on flimsy reasons figuring no one will sue them for breach of an agreement they made a month or two before to finance the property. As we know, banks get away with a lot and no matter what they do, the executives never seem to get arrested. This is why a cash deal is better than others even if they offer less. It is also good to have an agreement to stay on for about 10 days after closing so you can have the moving van (or friends) come after closing so you are not stuck with your stuff far away.

Gene
Old 04-29-2012, 06:42 PM   #161
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashSilver View Post

I did some work for Land Rover and we were having a hell of time getting a FAX to them. I finally called and asked when did Lucas started making FAX machines. They did not see the humor.

Gene...there are more than a few cash deals down here in Durango. Seems the high dollar house sales are picking up.
Old 04-29-2012, 06:47 PM   #162
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Blaine , Washington
Gene. Try to contain your excitement. Remember the old salesman's saying, "Every no brings you closer to a yes".

This did not work for us when we were trying to sell but maybe it will help keep you somewhat sane while going thru this very unpleasant experience.

We are all pulling for you. Good luck!

John
Old 05-01-2012, 08:33 AM   #163
Rivet Master

2005 31' Classic
Cleveland , Tennessee
Hey Gene:

I understand your predicament regarding containing your excitement about the potential sale! Good luck. On another note, I've enjoyed both your comments/explanations about your Airstream project and the pictures (as well as others who have done various work on their projects)! I've put in a full bath in our basement, I have done everything (literally) except the electrical...., including learning to "knock down texturing on the walls", but the one aspect I am having problems with are the final coats on the wood trim. Seems, every time I sand and put what I think will be the final coat of urethane on, there seems to be too many blemishes for my taste to finish the bath, from my perspective. Natalie keeps telling me "it's a bathroom....., in the basement , just put on the trim for gosh sakes, and move on". Guess I'm trying to be too much of a perfectionist! Good luck, and hopefully you will make the sale and be on the road again soon! Since we've been back from Louisiana, this time of year there are so many things to be done, and everything seems to be moving faster than the speed of life.

Regards, Terry.

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will take you there." Lewis Carroll

AIR #38011
TAC TN-4
NOVA
Steelegood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 08:48 AM   #164
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Terry,

I've had the same problem keeping dust off the table and blemishing the surface because I've had to work in a place where there is too much dust. I wet sand and some remains, put another coat on, more dust, ad infinitum. The table has been installed in the trailer and is not up to my standards, and I am disappointed, but still looks better than the Formica did to me. Still have work to do on it. First cushions come Friday. Realtor called yesterday for more information, so potential buyers still interested. Now I'm having the awful feelings that come with the thought of moving. I've got 19 days to summerize the trailer, so the pressure builds. And you thought Don Draper's life was complicated.

Gene
Old 05-07-2012, 07:20 PM   #165
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
The table is finished, waxed and installed. I stopped the urethaning after 6 coats. The table is hardly perfect, but better than Formica. I managed to drill a few holes all the way through to the top, something I haven't done for many years (yeh, I have something that clamps on the bit to prevent that, but I didn't want to go look for it). I repaired it and it is pretty hard to find.

The cushions weren't ready last week and three are supposed to be ready tomorrow. I know the seamstress' father was injured recently and that has taken her time, but I hope that is the only problem.

Still waiting for the prospective buyers to show up—they were in a big rush and were coming last week, then this week. Still haven't heard.

So I wait and continue to fix things: wood preservative on front steps, deck, repainted door and window trim on first floor, cleaning shop, mowing, packing more stuff while Barb does gardening, watering trees, packing and on and on.

Photos:

1. Table

2. Where a cat feels safe—hiding under a chaise lounge where any predator can see him.

Gene
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Table.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	35.2 KB
ID:	157778   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cat.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	157779  

Old 05-07-2012, 07:37 PM   #166
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
I love being able to enlarge pictures. Nice work!
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 10:02 PM   #167
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
The table is finished, waxed and installed. I stopped the urethaning after 6 coats. The table is hardly perfect, but better than Formica. I managed to drill a few holes all the way through to the top, something I haven't done for many years (yeh, I have something that clamps on the bit to prevent that, but I didn't want to go look for it). I repaired it and it is pretty hard to find.

The cushions weren't ready last week and three are supposed to be ready tomorrow. I know the seamstress' father was injured recently and that has taken her time, but I hope that is the only problem.

Still waiting for the prospective buyers to show up—they were in a big rush and were coming last week, then this week. Still haven't heard.

So I wait and continue to fix things: wood preservative on front steps, deck, repainted door and window trim on first floor, cleaning shop, mowing, packing more stuff while Barb does gardening, watering trees, packing and on and on.

Photos:

1. Table

2. Where a cat feels safe—hiding under a chaise lounge where any predator can see him.

Gene
The cat is smarter than you think. Research has proved that animals with longitudinal blue stripes are invisible to predators.

Ken
Old 05-07-2012, 10:13 PM   #168
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by REDNAX View Post
I love being able to enlarge pictures. Nice work!
You'll really love this one it gets super big.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1704.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	381.5 KB
ID:	157824