Old 07-26-2011, 05:58 AM   #99
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post

535 people picked at random could do better than the 535 members of Congress.

Gene
Welcome To La Nova Pizza And Wings!

"the dart board method" is a much more effective way.

"never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 07:31 AM   #100
Commercial Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
... And we had a pizza last night I will not recommend. The restaurant was something like Espiritu Pizza and the pizza featured a crust that partially tasted like matzah dough and partially tasted like nothing but a soggy thing topped by three varieties of mushrooms (the mushrooms were very good) and embedded in cheese glue. It took as sense of humor to finish it, but we failed. ... Gene
You'll have to make the trek to Taos and go to Outback Pizza. (Outback because it is out back, away from the street. Even the door.)

Lynn

Old 07-26-2011, 07:59 AM   #101
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Bob, what happened to Avenue Pizza in BUffalo?

Lynn, I'll try to remember that, but right now I don't want to look at a pizza for a long time and that's a good thing because it's close to junk food anyway. We tried to indulge ourselves and paid for it.

We did get to see Harry Potter a couple of days ago in 3D. The 3D didn't give me a headache like Avatar did and the movie itself has a lot of explosions, moves fast and the good guys win. Another indulgence, this one better on the stomach.

We left the camera in the truck so we can't forget it, but now we have to remember to actually use it.

Gene
Old 07-26-2011, 08:08 AM   #102
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Avenue Pizza & Sub

Not what it used to be....

Anchor Bar still the best for Wings!!
Anchor Bar - Home of the Buffalo Chicken Wing

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

RLC
Old 07-26-2011, 08:02 PM   #103
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Wer ate breakfast at Zia again today. It is a restaurant in the Railyard District on Guadalupe. It is an area that has been developed into another tourist destination apart from the Plaza area. The restaurant has some interesting design, a sort of combination of Art Deco and southwest.

1. View of the restaurant.

2. Detail of one of ceiling lamps.

3. Design on wall.

Gene
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010003.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	361.0 KB
ID:	136060   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010002.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	297.9 KB
ID:	136061  

Name:	P1010004.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	218.7 KB
ID:	136062  
Old 07-26-2011, 08:19 PM   #104
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
If you don't like light brown, Santa Fe is not the place for you. I don't know if it's required, but just about every building is a shade of tan, often with a little rose in it. They are made to look like adobe and most older buildings probably are adobe. It's a good building material—good insulating to keep out summer heat and winter cold. The materials are everywhere—clay and sand. But not a lot of contractors really know how to built this way anymore, though some are learning again. But a lot of newer buildings are stucco on frame, not nearly as good a building material.

We placed the painting we bought years ago as an investment at local gallery with a branch in NYC (the possible private buyer fell through). Negotiations did not take long and they accepted most of my suggestions.

We found a small neighborhood market, Kaune's (pron.: Connie) that had a lot of healthy foods. They had good prices, so we picked up some provisions. We keep learning things on each trip and are trying to remember the streets—they change name a lot, have no particular pattern and it is easy to get lost for a while in the neighborhoods off the main streets.

Tomorrow we head home and may go boondocking somewhere in August, but we haven't figured out where and when.

1. Since many buildings look the same, here is a nice one in the background with a sculpture garden in front.

2. The smiling pig in the sculpture garden.

Gene
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1010005.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	328.1 KB
ID:	136063   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010006.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	538.0 KB
ID:	136064  

Old 07-31-2011, 06:07 PM   #105
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
We left Santa Fe satisfied we had accomplished our goals and started north. About a mile before the junction where US 285 turns north and US 84 goes west for a while, and then north through Tierra Amarilla and Chama, NM, I asked Barb how much longer that way was compared to staying on 285 with the miles of construction delays—by the time she got the map out and was figuring out the miles, I had gone straight and was 2 miles beyond. The answer was an extra 45 miles, but we figured we'd save some of the extra time because of construction and it would be a half hour more.

285 goes through some villages, high desert with forest and high desert with sagebrush. We needed a change. The Chama route goes over a number of ridges, forests, red rocks, yellow rocks, grey rocks, rocky rocks, and over Cumbres (Summit) and La Manga (Sleeve) Passes. It's a pretty drive. Chama is more and more a tourist town with some new motels. The two passes and the tourist oriented narrow gauge railroad Cumbres and Toltec RR runs from Chama to Antonito, Colo.

Before you get there, you pass Abiquiú. I'd think it was pronounced Ab-i-key-oó, but everyone I know of Hispanic descent calls it Ab-i-kéw. It is a very old village and not right on the highway. Some time ago we drove into the town and I think it had a wall around it and a large old church. It is the way old Spanish villages were built years ago. Georgia O'Keefe's Ghost Ranch is usually said to be in Abiquiú, but it is really some miles north. I didn't check, but maybe 20 miles.

The route was a good change and we got home before sunset and parked the trailer just before dusk after unloading—we pull it up to the front door (it took us 2 years to figure that out) which means it's on uneven ground and we are going up- or downhill in it, but the alternative is walking 150' each way to the trailer about 500 times.

Now the usual catch up time—but I've never caught on things. I have to install the surge protector, replace a broken latch, change an outer wheel bearing and try to talk Barb into some boondocking in mid-August.

Gene

Photos:

1 & 2. Formations between Abiquiú and the Ghost Ranch. #1 is looking south, #2, north. This was a spot along the highway with a picnic table. NM has a lot of these turnoffs, often with a covered picnic table, along the highways. Colorado has hardly any and only on interstates.

3. Somewhere out there is the Ghost Ranch.

4. The most bullet ridden sign I have ever seen, just south of the Colo. line in northern NM. Bob Sunrus posted a photo of sign that was about as bad on his random trip thread, but this is the worst I've seen.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1010009.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	481.8 KB
ID:	136411   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010010.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	228.1 KB
ID:	136412  

Name:	P1010011.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	347.9 KB
ID:	136413   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010012.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	531.2 KB
ID:	136414  

Old 08-01-2011, 10:00 AM   #106
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
San Diego , California
Gene: Regarding that sign, I think you failed to recognize the likeness of the Virgin Mary in it. Just like most other things there---it is art. (Or perhaps just a miracle).

Randy
Old 08-01-2011, 11:41 AM   #107
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by OB Bambi View Post
Gene: Regarding that sign, I think you failed to recognize the likeness of the Virgin Mary in it.
Randy
Randy, I think you're right. How did I miss that?

But, moving on, the plan is to go to the Montana Rockies in early September. We have traveled I-15 north through Idaho and Montana a number of times, but we look west and want to see it. We've driven by Flathead Lake and aren't interested in going that far north. I think we have about 10 days and it'll take about 2 each way to get to Dillon, Montana. From there we would turn west or northwest into the great unknown. I'm interested in a couple of public campgrounds where we can check out our new solar system, be lazy, and maybe do some hiking. A stop in the middle of those approx. 6 days to check e-mail and phone messages would be good—maybe a library with wifi or other hot spot would help. I have to start reading up on that area, but would welcome any suggestions. I have thought of going into central Idaho, but I think that is a little too far and may defeat the goal of laziness.

Gene
Old 08-30-2011, 12:10 PM   #108
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
We’re getting ready for another trip—this one to SW Montana and east central Idaho. There are many FS campgrounds and our intent is to relax, something we don’t do very well. We can stay at various campground for several nights, read, sleep, eat, walk around. First we go to Grand Mesa and meet friends, spending two nights there. Then north to Dillon, Montana, where we will spend 2 nights and look around the area. Then into the wild.

We leave Thursday. As usual we are behind. Two funerals in Barb’s family have taken almost two weeks of the last six. I have had the chance to rewire the rear Fantastic Fan so it blows in instead of out, providing much better air circulation in the trailer.

Basically, you have to reverse the two wires to the fan motor. This requires removing the screen and the plastic piece around it. Some auto wire and connectors to make the wires longer, crimp the connectors and tape them for extra strength, and then attaching each where the other one was. FF will sell you a reversing switch for $25—I guess it can go either way then.

The more challenging thing was installing the Surge Guard. Having ordered it without bothering to measure where it could go and checking to see just how big it is, I was more interested in getting maximum discounts. CW had a coupon plus we had an offer to rejoin at $12 and get the 10% discount. I got them all and it came many weeks ago.

Then I looked and saw there was not enough space to the right of the converter/breaker/fuse panel. There is a door and I could have cut it, but that seemed too invasive. I thought of mounting it on the wardrobe wall, but bringing Romex to it seemed very difficult. To the left of the converter etc. panel the bed base curves, but a shim solved that problem and that brought me very close to the wires.

This still required a junction box in a very small space under the bed. I prewired the 4” square box as much as I could, drilled holes in the bed base, put some shields for routing Romex through metal studs in the holes, and threaded wires (I taped the Romex that goes through the holes as well to prevent abrasion of the insulation) and attached the junction box. Because of the cramped space, it took almost an hour to bolt the junction box in place. Drilling holes was more than difficult.

It was not hard to identify the shore power cable (called “line” on the Surge Guard) and to disconnect it from the converter—it goes to the only 30 amp breaker. The junction box was used to add pieces of 10-2 with ground to get to the Surge Guard.

The Surge Guard is poorly designed for safety. The connections are right in front with a plastic piece to shield them from fingers or other body parts, but the shields can easily fall off. I taped them on. The unit is big and sticks out from the bed base, but can be avoided by feet and ankles (we hope) as the bed hangs over it.

I bought this model rather than the one that plugs into the power pedestal because it was cheaper and I would not have to go outside if the unit turned off the power during a surge or extreme voltage variations. I figured the power would most likely be a problem if it were raining and lightening. So we have the warning lights inside.

But the space to work in is very cramped. To install it, I would have liked to be young, not have arthritis, bad knees and back and been about 3 feet tall. This boon was not granted and I spent 3 hours one day and 4 1/2 the next. I did not enjoy this except I get to complain about it for a while.

I often thought that I should have bought the portable one. Perhaps with the Romex and other parts, i was actually spending more for this one, but with the portable one I would have bought the lock for it and maybe I still was ahead.

A lot of work has been done this year—Venetian blinds for the back window, new solar system, new AGM batteries, new converter, Surge Guard, reversed fan (cost about 25˘), repacked bearings, one bearing replaced and fixed some popped rivets underneath. We will get to see how the solar works while camped in several days.

We detailed the truck and started packing. Today I sanitize the fresh water system for the second half of the travel season.

Project photos to follow.

Gene
Old 08-30-2011, 12:46 PM   #109
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
No good project goes unpunished.

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 01:12 PM   #110
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmclemore View Post
No good project goes unpunished.

Pat
A corollary: Each project requires blood—from cut fingers and other body parts.

Gene
Old 08-30-2011, 01:40 PM   #111
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
You don't really own an Airstream until you bleed on it. If you look at my scarred and scraped hands you will see I OWN all my vehicles........
Hensley with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 02:37 PM   #112
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Gene,

Good job, you know what they say about "Idle Hands"

Have a Safe trip.

Bob

RLC

RLC