3 Rivet Member

1999 23' Safari
Austin , Texas
Pronghorn Antelope!

Old 06-28-2011, 09:14 AM   #44
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
I don't think they are called antelope anymore. I don't know who decides this and now there maybe there is nowhere the "deer and the antelope play".

Today we leave, hopefully before the crack of noon. Late yesterday we ran out of water because we had drained our 3,000 gallon cisterns watering trees. This happens about once a year and means I had to spend a couple of hours clearing the air out of the water line. We get water from a dole which dispenses 3 quarts a minute and then it goes to the cisterns and from there it goes downhill by gravity to the house and we have a pump and pressure tank. Dole systems are common here and are strange to city folk, but it works unless we use too much water. Humidity has been around 15% the past week and watering is very necessary in the high desert.

Gene

Old 06-28-2011, 09:40 AM   #45
3 Rivet Member

1999 23' Safari
Austin , Texas
The Pronghorn (Antilocapra americana) is a species of artiodactyl mammal endemic to interior western and central North America. Though not an antelope, it is often known colloquially in North America as the Prong Buck, Pronghorn Antelope, or simply Antelope,[3
Old 06-28-2011, 09:48 AM   #46
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Charlie,

We still call them antelope. I've only seen them in open spaces, usually the plains of eastern Colorado. Their coloring is so good they are hard to see against the grasses. They are smaller than mule and white tail deer and can really move fast.

Gene
Old 06-28-2011, 09:55 AM   #47
3 Rivet Member

1999 23' Safari
Austin , Texas
Gene.

I've spent a few years chasing them with "ill intent" in mind. I've crawled through a bunch of sage brush in their pursuit but my best opportunity was in an Aspen grove on the side of Elk Mountain in southern Wyoming. I'd rather observe and photograph them now.

I enjoy your postings!!
Old 06-28-2011, 10:04 AM   #48
Rivet Master

2005 31' Classic
Cleveland , Tennessee
Hey Crawfordgene:

Sorry to hear about your cousin. We are in a similar situation regarding the house (large house, large lot, out in the country), however we decided not to put it on the market b/c of the economy and we're not in a "have to" situation so decided to wait out the market. Here is a thought, put "Murphy's Law" to work for you! Plan a big trip, go........, then the house will sell. We're going out to the Albuquerque Balloon Festival in Oct. Why not plan that trip and get out and meet some of us? Enjoy your travels, and would enjoy your company.

Regards, Terry.

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will take you there." Lewis Carroll

AIR #38011
TAC TN-4
NOVA
Steelegood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 11:15 AM   #49
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
I'm getting pressure from all sides (Barb is the only one I listen too) to go to Alb., but I'm holding out, so far. We may go to Santa Fe in October, so it wouldn't be much further. I would like to meet in person all the people on Forum who attend the balloon thing, but there's lots to do here too.

We were gone for 8 weeks last year and that didn't bring any buyers. I could live here for years except for having a 2 story house and a finished basement—my knees do not like stairs. We made this house special and if we could get some people to look at the house, I'm sure it would sell, but they aren't coming to look out here. We love what we've done with the house, love the privacy, but it's time to move on. There are so many wonderful places to live that I'll have to live to 300.

Gene
Old 06-28-2011, 08:28 PM   #50
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Getting back to the road, we left just before the crack of noon and made some important stops—gas and ice cream. It's 190 miles to Cortez and by early afternoon we got to Ridgway and started to get into the San Juan Mountains. First we climbed the Dallas Divide, 8,970', and then down to Placerville and onto near Telluride. Then we climbed to Lizard Head Pass, 10,222', where we never had seen a Lizard Head on the mountain of the same name. I assume that when the miners were there, they may have had too much rotgut and seen lizards just like Hunter Thompson did in "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas".

Following Colo. 145, we passed through the old mining town of Rico and then began to descend to relative lowlands along the Dolores River, through the town of Dolores and then to the small city of Cortez. The temp had been down to 72˚ at the pass summit, but 93˚ here. It took 4 1/2 hours, not bad for all the curves, climbing and descents.

This route is not as famous as others through Colorado, but it as beautiful as any in the state. We are staying at the Sundance RV Park and by all accounts it is the best deal in the city with hookups, lots of TV channels and fairly good wifi.

It is good to be away from home. Nothing to fix, clean, think about. Tomorrow we go to the Anasazi Heritage Center and find out more about the Canyons of the Ancients NM. We have explored many Anasazi ruins in the past including at Mesa Verde (10 miles from here), Hovenweep NM and near Canyonland NP. This NM was one designated by Clinton to protect many ruins. A lot of the area had already been leased for oil and gas exploration and I don't know how the two co-exist, but we will find out.

A lot has been written about the word "Anasazi". In Navajo it means "enemies" according to some, "ancient ones" according to others. The Anasazi culture collapsed around 1300 or so. There was an historic drought that lasted 25 years or more around 1300 and brought about the collapse. The Navajo may have arrived in the southwest around 1400, there could have been Anasazi bands who opposed the Navajo. Or they heard of them, saw their ruins, and called them ancient ones. Navajo will not go near Anasazi ruins because the spirits of the dead are said to be there. It appears the Anasazi or some of them moved east and became what we call the Pueblo Indians who settled (mostly) in the Rio Grande Valley north of Albuquerque to Taos. There are countless Anasazi ruins in NW NM and southern Colorado and Utah, more being found every year. When the civilization collapsed, cannibalism occurred and that fact is not discussed much, but lots of evidences points to it.

It was hazy today, apparently from the fires in NM. The wind tomorrow may come from the east and the haze may get worse. It is supposed to be 97˚.

Gene
Old 06-28-2011, 09:11 PM   #51
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
San Diego , California
Gene: Your reference to Fear and Loathing made me laugh. Hey, you aren't Samoan are you?

Randy Bowman
Old 06-28-2011, 09:48 PM   #52
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Have a great trip and travel safe.

Maggie
Old 06-29-2011, 09:57 PM   #53
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
We took it easy because we could. We went to the Anasazi Heritage Center—visitor center and museum at the crack of noon. We've been to a lot of public lands' agencies museums and this was one of the better ones. I think the all time best was at Gettysburg.

From there it is a half mile walk to Escalante Ruin and it looked like a lot of other such ruins. We toured many 20+ years ago and reading the information shows a lot has been discovered about the culture since we last did this. There's now no question the Anasazi were ancestors of the Pueblo Indians. Being that we had been away from the Safari for 3 whole hours, we came back and had lunch at 4 and then needed a nap. Tonight we went to a decent pizza place, Lotsa Pasta, better than usual for small town Colorado.

Tomorrow we try to see lotsa ruins, stating with the largest, Lowry, and then seeing what else we want to do. We will try to remember to take the camera out of the truck. Then I hope the wifi handles photos since I have discovered it cuts in and out a lot.

Now I must rest. Our usual trips include long, long drives at high speed to see vast amounts of territory and see everything, but sometimes a rest cure is just what's needed—now where's that ice cream?

Gene
Old 06-30-2011, 11:23 PM   #54
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
We went to 3 different ruins today—Sand Canyon, Lowry and Painted Hand. All are located on the eastern edge of the Monument. Lowry is the only one that had been substantially stabilized. At Painted Hand, there is a tower about 2 stories high. Sand Canyon has been partially excavated, but was backfilled, presumably because there are no funds to stabilize any of it. In the rest of the Monument there are reported to be countless ruins if you want to explore.

The 3 different ruins each are interesting in their own ways.

Being as late as it is and considering the not always dependable wifi, I will post more information and photos after I get home.

Weather was not as hot—ranged from upper 70's to 80's, but was very windy, especially earlier in the day with some slight showers. Humidity has been very low—as low as 15%—and we have been drinking lots of water. Even after 33 years in Colorado, I forget how much water I need in the summer and find it hard to keep up. You don't know you are sweating because it evaporates before you notice and it is easy to get dehydrated. Eventually you feel tired and your muscles don't work as well. We did some hiking to sites and at Painted Hand, some rock scrambling that was rough on my knees, but we saw everything there.

Gene
Old 07-01-2011, 06:36 AM   #55
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up

I envy.....thanx Gene.

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 02:44 PM   #56
Rivet Master

1999 25' Safari
Denver , Colorado
I'd advise against buying, cooking and eating the Anasazi beans on offer at the gift shops - they actually DO taste about a 1000 years old

And enjoy your travels ... Wendy