Old 11-24-2011, 11:51 AM   #267
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We got rid of our dish a number of years ago, after $60 a month got us less, and less and then even less.

We then used an antennae until had to find a spot for the black box, then went to basic cable for $16 a month. It has worked just fine, all the major channels plus weather plus Fox.

Keep us posted on your choice.

Maggie

Old 11-24-2011, 12:17 PM   #268
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD FB
Holladay , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene
A good free or low priced highway, air and water transportation system makes the country richer; transporting information does the same. But now we think small and others are ahead of us.

In the meantime, I'll have to do what I can and find out how to find hot spots with an iPad.

Gene
Where is Ike when you need him? It seems that joining all the wifi systems in the country together, and then adding some new ones where needed, would be easier than connecting the country with roads. But Ike did that in eight years. I doubt whether such an undertaking would be possible in today's political environment. We would need not only a leader like Ike, but an electorate that is serious and honest about becoming "the greatest country in the world".

BTW, this is posted on an iPad, where I receive 7 newspapers each day no matter where I am in the world ( almost) including the NY Times. Bite the bullet and get one. Forget Newsstand, each newspaper has a great stand alone app, and is either free (USA Today, Washington Post, London Guardian), or cost the same as in Newstand (NY Times, Wall Street Journal). You can also borrow digital books from the library for free on your iPad. My hands will never touch paper again, and you certainly will save money over subscription prices.

My son gets all of his TV over the Internet but it beats the hell out of me how he does it. Finding hot spots (I have wifi only, no 3G) is not a problem as all McDonalds and Starbucks have them and the are everywhere. My iPhone is a Verizon hot spot but other than testing it, I have never used it. But I am not in a hurry to get my email or update my newspaper. C'mon Gene, join the 21 st century.

Old 11-24-2011, 01:34 PM   #269
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Flash, I'm not sure I'm in the 20th century yet, after all, I used to be a history professor (one of many careers characteristic of an unstable personality).

What's the difference between buying the NYT through Apple or through the NYT? Are they different? They seem to cost the same.

What is the best way to find hot spots? I know there are a lot of websites that list them, but which are the best? I just looked at Wi-Fi HotSpot LIst and it was pretty sparse.

As for the state of the country, I'm beginning to wish we could get Nixon back despite his serious moral and psychological problems. I thought he was pretty extreme at the time, but now he looks like a moderate.

Maggie, most of the channels we watch are only available on the most expensive plans—such as Bloomberg, CNN, MSNBC, Current, History international, Science, etc. CNBC is easier to get, but full of oversteroidal hype. I know it can be done via internet, though sending it to every TV in the house may be harder.

Gene
Old 11-24-2011, 01:44 PM   #270
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Maggie,

Jellyous....our "basic" cable has just gone up to $64/mo, $150 w/one upgrade and "low" tier HS IN.
Gene nailed it.... Mono-poly>>>> they do it 'cuz they can.

We are the new "old world" when it comes to infrastructure... no doubt about it.

Bob

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 04:53 PM   #271
Rivet Master

2005 31' Classic
Cleveland , Tennessee
Hey Gene:

Quickly: When you want to "right click", in addition to using your pointer finger, add a second one (usually the "fickled finger of fate finger") and mash the track pad. Gotta go, turkey is ready.

Terry.

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will take you there." Lewis Carroll

AIR #38011
TAC TN-4
NOVA
Steelegood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 10:10 AM   #272
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
I finally did it—Apple had some small good deals on Black Friday, but it was the best I was going to get. I ordered a new iPad2 16GB with Verizon 3G. Eventually I'll give in to the Verizon gorilla data plan. The new one was $9 more than the refurbished one, so new may be a bit better even though they are the same model. Apple quietly makes improvements all the time.

They also discounted the Smart Covers and I got the cheap polyurethane one and then I found a heavily discounted keyboard and stand on Amazon for $37. The price of the keyboard and cheap Smart Cover was just about the same as the leather Smart Cover. Either can be used as a cover, but the keyboard, hopefully, can sit on my lap and allow me to use the iPad in more places.

Now I have to finish the iPad book, finish the For Sale By Owner book, get the house and adjoining lot back on the market, the iPad arrives, I figure it out, but first I have to cut up more trees and change the antifreeze in the Tundra. When do I get to retire?

Gene
Old 11-26-2011, 11:58 AM   #273
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Yeeaaay! Good for you!

I think you'll LOVE the IPad. Might try to get some of those other things done before it arrives, 'cause you might have trouble putting it down.

Maggie
Old 11-26-2011, 01:07 PM   #274
Rivet Master

1981 27' Excella II
mays landing , South Jersey
Halfway retired. Just tired. Sal.
TAC N.J. 17
WBCCI 24740
noreen&sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 02:07 PM   #275
3 Rivet Member

Holladay , Utah
Quote:
I finally did it—Apple had some small good deals on Black Friday, but it was the best I was going to get. I ordered a new iPad2 16GB with Verizon 3G. Eventually I'll give in to the Verizon gorilla data plan. The new one was $9 more than the refurbished one, so new may be a bit better even though they are the same model. Apple quietly makes improvements all the time.

Gene
Now you get to waste more time playing with all the apps in the App Store. There are 500,000 of them they tell me. I've downloaded 47 of them, mostly free, although only 27 remain on my iPad. This forum is one of those. While I am writing this I am listening to Otis Redding on Pandora Radio, another free must have. Better get everything done before the new iPad arrives because you are going to spend all winter playing with this thing.
Old 11-26-2011, 02:58 PM   #276
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
I hope to control the addiction, though my time with the MacBook Pro is excessive already. I have to finish restoring and caning those Victorian chairs too. If we get an offer on the house, everything changes and packing starts (though we've done some already). I just read about the increase in the number of failed contracts—buyer can't get mortgage, appraisal is low, inspection screws the deal. If you know anybody who wants a beautiful remodeled log house with incredible views in western Colorado, send them here (it helps if they have lots of cash too; cash is always good). Maybe the Forum should have a classified section for houses.

I will try to avoid the app store for a while, though I do need something to clue me in on where to find hot spots.

Just spent 2 hours with the chain saw, now to eat and then go back and cut up those pieces that I couldn't split. Piñon is really hard wood for a conifer plus all the branches make it very hard to split. We are not high enough to have aspen—that would be easy to cut.

Gene
Old 11-26-2011, 11:56 PM   #277
3 Rivet Member

Holladay , Utah
Quote:

I will try to avoid the app store for a while, though I do need something to clue me in on where to find hot spots.

Gene
Go to the app store and type "free wifi finder" in the search window. There will be several choices. My favorite is the one named Free Wifi Finder. It works well.
Old 11-27-2011, 09:38 AM   #278
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Please have a look at the Community Rules

Some may notice that several posts have been deleted. This has been due to content posted that is either off-topic, or of a religious or political nature.

We ask that you please take note of subjects that are not permitted in discussions on Airforums.com.

If you are in doubt as to what these might be, I refer you to the Community Rules, a link to which is at the bottom of most pages.

Thanks on behalf of
The Administration
Old 11-27-2011, 10:20 AM   #279
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Flash, thanks, I'll look that up when I get the iPad and figure out how to use it.

I walk past the Safari all the time and I haven't been inside in weeks. That feels strange.

Aage, you took longer than I thought you would. It couldn't have been Thanksgiving because yours was on Oct. 10.

Gene
Old 12-01-2011, 08:14 PM   #280
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
My new iPad arrived a day early and the first thing I did after starting it was download the Forum app to play with it. Not so easy to type, though better than I thought.

I'm having trouble figuring out how to get to the page I start on when using the MacBook and sometimes stumble on it. Another learning experience.

Putting the house on the market appears to be delayed because I'm playing with this. Who wants to buy a house before Xmas anyway?

Screen clarity is great. Maybe I'd better read the manual, although I finished the iPad book I got a couple of weeks ago. This is fun.

Gene