Old 06-23-2011, 06:27 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Gene,

Sounds like your realtor is a turkey. Only a few more months to wait him out and take it onto yourselves. Why wouldn't you be listed on a log homes website, where those who want log homes, and have the money to buy them, go to look?!!?

Get up every day, put one foot ahead of the other, do your very best at what you need to do and trust that you will get through it. It will all work itself out, but maybe not exactly as you planned.

Keep the faith, keep your head up and enjoy those short trips!

Maggie

Old 06-23-2011, 09:20 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Cojer, we've started investigating selling it ourselves, but we've got 3 months to figure it out. I believe there are companies that get you on the multilist for small commission. I have to find out more about that. There are a number of online listing services and some are available to non-realtors.

Gringo, Ouray is a small, Victorian town located in a box canyon before you cross the San Juan Range to SW Colorado. Lots of Victorian buildings, hot springs, touristy. Good place to visit for a while, most restaurants mediocre. The BonTon is usually pretty good. There's a restored hotel on the east side of the main drag that I have heard has a good restaurant, but it was not open weekdays when we were there. The hotel is worth seeing and is just south of the Bien Tiempo Restaurant—food at BT was not too good several years ago, but these things change every year. The town has a hot springs you can visit just north of the main part of town. About 6 miles north is Orvis Not Springs which is clothing optional in the outside pools and bathing suits in the inside pool. About 4 miles north of Orvis is Ridgway (yes, no "e"), another funky mountain town. Better restaurants—Chinese one is ok, Thai is good, off the highway to Telluride (forgot number—sixty something perhaps) on the first street north of that is a good breakfast/lunch place, Kate's Place.

There is lots to see in the area. North of there is Montrose, a town that has grown a lot over the past 20 years and they now have some big box stores where you can get provisions. Buy fuel there. South of Ouray on US 550 you travel over some very high passes, spectacular scenery. You can stop in Silverton (ScrapIrony2 lives there during the summer), and then continue over more high country to Durango (a couple of Forum members live there such as Denis4x4—hope I got that right).

Michelle, our plans are fluid. Depending on real estate stuff, we may not have much time, or none. It takes 3 1/2 days on the race to the sea where we hit the coast north of San Francisco, eat pizza in Gualala, travel up to Astoria, Oregon, look for Pendleton seconds at the stores that carry the discounted stuff (Lincoln City, around Portland), may stop in Vancouver, Wash., to see a friend there, maybe Mt. St. Helen's if the weather is good (wasn't last time), Barb has a cousin in Richland, Wash., we've never seen Eugene, Oregon, and maybe we are out of time by now. We might stop and say hello to Lew in Hood River, but he'll probably be gone. As you can see this gets longer and longer and maybe we'd like to relax sometime along the way. The Pacific coast gets a visit almost every year (last year twice) and it seems that is our focus. I'd love to explore the entire Montana Rockies someday but I don't know when that happens. Other trips floating around in my mind include Route 66, the River Road, US 11 from the Canada border to New Orleans, New England, New York and Pa., Newfoundland, Alaska again (every 4 years), more Ontario and Quebec, NWT, NM state parks, wander around the south, back to DC…. I'm going to have to live a very long time.

Gene

Old 06-23-2011, 09:42 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Maggie and Splitrock, we like our realtor personally. It's a small town atmosphere and everyone knows everyone. This has to be done carefully. Even if you sell it yourself, a local realtor may be negotiating with you (that is exactly how we got this house—not listed anywhere, but he knew it was for sale). He was great in finding us a house, but marketing for sellers is perhaps not his strength. With a small higher end market in a small county this is not easy and it is very difficult to determine what property is worth. We will probably list it ourselves on the log homes website (only $19/mo) and if we find someone without him, we can argue that later. Properties on that website are not moving either, so things are very, very slow. My advantage is I can make the legal arrangements myself although I'll have to catch up not having done a closing in a while. We also have an adjoining lot and that is even harder to sell if only because of the enormous amount of lots on the market (ours is one of the best of course, just gets lost in the numbers). We think about our options all the time. Balancing our lust for travel and the business of selling property is a challenge.

Gene
Old 06-23-2011, 10:07 AM   #18
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
Is 550 south of Ourie useable by tv and as? Seems I was on it a few years ago via motorcycle and it was really curvy? jim
Old 06-23-2011, 10:13 AM   #19
Commercial Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Kind of depends on your level of comform and bravery! I've driven that route dozens of times, though not with the AS in tow. And I don't think I'd do it, given that alternatives are available, depending on your destination.

Lynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by zigzagguzzi View Post
Is 550 south of Ourie useable by tv and as? Seems I was on it a few years ago via motorcycle and it was really curvy? jim
Old 06-23-2011, 10:16 AM   #20
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Here in the small town markets quite a few sellers use an agent, or two, using an open listing agreement. That means whoever sells it gets paid. If the seller snags a buyer on a for sale by owner ad, and they need closing help, they can negotiate with an agency to close escrow, or, in most cases, it's cheaper to hire an attorney to close escrow than pay commission to an agent. I see people try FSBO here all the time. Seldom they are successful.

Most FSBO sellers I see don't know how to work through the contingencies. Most sales have at least 6 contingencies and they can all be deal killers if not handled properly. At best contingencies will be time wasters and can slide a property into a worse market (like winter). It's one thing to get a property under contract and another thing to close escrow. A good way to test a seller's ability to do a for sale by owner is to list all the possible contingencies and then outline all the possible ways to deal with each contingency. If a seller can't even list all the possible contingencies, they have no business selling something a big as real estate.

Then there's the whole sub chapter on transfer of risk.
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 10:19 AM   #21
one of those

2011 27 FB International
'03 F250 PSD , Airstream summers, Catalac winters
Thanks for the rundown on Ouray, Gene. You reminded me of a question I have, too. i was going to start another thread, but then thought why not just keep yours going for lots more clicks?

My question is what do you AirHeads do with your dogs when you want to go out for a meal at a restaurant? Do you leave it locked in the trailer? Take it but leave it in the car? Give it tranqs and disguise it as a mink stole or beaver tophat? Only eat at drive thrus?

We'll have a mouthy little Jack Russell Terrierist with us this summer, and I never travelled with a dog before. I've read it's illegal to leave them unattended in vehicles in some places. How do y'all handle that?
Old 06-23-2011, 11:08 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Dallas , Texas
dogs on the road

We took the cocker to Port Aransas with us last week. We left her in the air conditioned trailer four times, twice when we went to scope out town and do a little shopping and the twice when we went to eat. Each time was no more than an hour and she was perfectly happy to enjoy the ac vs the sandy hot beach.

We ate sandwiches on the road while traveling so that wasnt an issue. We have a crate for her while we are driving and the only time we hear a peep out of her is when we slow down in a town and she thinks we have arrived somewhere.

Not sure what we would do if we stopped to do something prior to camping for the day. Probably look for a dog friendly patio restaurant or take turns sitting with her in the truck. Not sure about other places but here in Texas leaving a pet in car, even with windows cracked in the summer time is out of the question. We see lots of dogs in cars during other seasons of the year, so that might be an option but clearly not in the summer.

This might actually be a good separate thread which would probably generate lots of discussion.
Old 06-23-2011, 11:17 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Gringo, I think you will get more responses if you start a dog trip thread—this is a big subject and probably many Airstreamers have ideas. Personally, we don't have a dog (somehow we have a cat instead—how did I let that happen?), but when we did keeping the dog somewhere is a problem and can limit your adventures. In the southwest the sun is so hot that broiled dog can be a problem.

Splitrock, certainly many issues can come up, but here the big stopper is the inspection. A bad inspector can screw it up for everyone. Negotiating deals is something I did for decades; it doesn't worry me, in fact I like it. I am one of those persons who likes buying cars because of the negotiations—those negotiations are a different type though because with sales managers you want to get them ready to explode. It's part of their culture. With buyers or their agents you have to be honest, willing to listen, work on finding ways to agree and to focus on the positive. Not as much fun as buying a car, but it is both about numbers and pyschology.

Zig', I haven't towed on 550 and actually haven't been on it for quite a while. We go south via Lizard Head Pass driving past Telluride. It's an easier drive and also beautiful. Unless you want to go to Durango, it is best to go around and save some time from our viewpoint. 550 has 3 major passes (Red Mountain, Molas, Coal Bank) with many switch backs and lots of serious dropoffs, some with no guard rails. Nervous drivers make it even slower. If you are not used to mountain roads, it can be nerve challenging. It is paved. In the winter, towing there would be dumb. One alternative would be to park at one end and take day trips, or just go from Durango to Silverton (I don't know what is there for RV's) and take day trips north. There are many 4WD roads in the area to explore, though the pickups and SUV's used for towing may be a bit large for some of them. You can stay in Durango and take the old time railroad excursion up through there too, though I've never done it preferring to driving the 4WD roads. The largest vehicle I've driven on them was a 2000 4Runner, but everything is bigger now except the jeep trails.

Gene
Old 06-23-2011, 02:37 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member

2006 28' International CCD
Nashville , Tennessee
We pretty much always travel with our dog -- she's part of the reason that we have our Airstream. We don't have to worry about hotels/motels that don't accommodate pets. Or leaving her for extended stays in a kennel or with family/friends. Or passing up a short outing because it's too hot for her to stay in the car.

Our Georgia stays in the AS when we take day trips, etc. -- just like she would if we were at our permanent home. When appropriate, we leave the fans or AC running. She does great. When we are towing she rides in the vehicle with us, in her crate. She's a great traveller and the AS lifestyle is a great fit.

Debbie
Old 06-23-2011, 02:41 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Dallas , Texas
Debbie

what do you do in terms of when you are towing and want to stop to eat? Fast food or sandwiches like we have done?

thanks
Dana
Old 06-23-2011, 03:25 PM   #26
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
Splitrock, certainly many issues can come up, but here the big stopper is the inspection. A bad inspector can screw it up for everyone. Negotiating deals is something I did for decades; it doesn't worry me, in fact I like it. I am one of those persons who likes buying cars because of the negotiations—those negotiations are a different type though because with sales managers you want to get them ready to explode. It's part of their culture. With buyers or their agents you have to be honest, willing to listen, work on finding ways to agree and to focus on the positive. Not as much fun as buying a car, but it is both about numbers and pyschology. Gene
Good point! I've had good success with having a pre-listing inspection, resolving all the issues raised in that inspection and having the inspection updated showing the repairs made. I lay a copy of the inspection right on the table in a binder with the one year paid for AHS insurance policy, alongside the property disclosures.

What that does is help to prevent the needed repairs being deducted twice. It's a buyer comfort thing, it speeds up offers, and the insurance tells the buyer the seller has confidence in the property. The buydown is a good marketing tool for the aggressive agent and can be used in all forms of advertising.

Good luck with both the selling and the travel!
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 04:22 PM   #27
3 Rivet Member

2006 28' International CCD
Nashville , Tennessee
Dana,
If we're going in someplace and it's too hot to leave her in the truck, we put her in the AS and turn on the fantastic fans. Most times we try to find a nice place to pull over and we have lunch (or whatever) in the trailer and we all get a nice break.

Debbie
Old 06-23-2011, 07:09 PM   #28
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Gene, We visited Lake City a couple summers back. I have a Dodge 3500 with the megacab, short bed. A pretty long wheelbase truck and we made it with little problem over the passes from Lake City to Anamas Forks and back. One was Engineer Pass. No problem with the long truck and it sure is a spectacular ride. Would love to do it again. Pack a lunch and make sure your tank is full and go for it. Except for the Cat dozer we saw up there grading the road at the top we were the biggest out there that day. I just wonder how they got that CAT up there. Maybe it lives there and they use it when they need it.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote