Old 11-15-2011, 11:48 PM   #253
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Sunset Beach , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
Thanks for the ideas. The Canon EOS came with software, but I haven't wanted to learn another way when I sort of have figured out iPhoto. I have Word, but a MacBook Pro and can't right click, but if I read up on it, there's probably a way to do it. E-mailing to myself may be the easiest. So I'll try that. Looks like it works and I'll try again to make them bigger. Or just transfer them to e-mail, reduce them without sending them, and drag them to desktop and then to Forum. The photos are of Stanley Lake and Sawtooth Range last Tuesday morning as the fog burned off.

Gene
Gene,

I also use a Macbook Pro. To right click, place two fingers on the trackpad and use your thumb to click. If you have one of new multi-touch trackpads, I believe that all you have to do is place two fingers on the trackpad and click.

Cheers,
Rion

GinMame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 06:59 PM   #254
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
I found I could export from iPhoto to the desktop and that was easy.

Gene

Old 11-22-2011, 09:28 PM   #255
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Sunset Beach , California
Quote:
I found I could export from iPhoto to the desktop and that was easy.

Gene
Hi Gene,

Happy Thanksgiving!

I just purchased my first video cam and find that after years of taking stills, I'm back to square one. This includes trying to connect to iMovie and import the videos. I can connect the camera (Canon Vixia HF-G10) to the computer and just copy the videos, but I haven't figured out iMovie yet. I guess that is something to do when I'm watching football this weekend and they go to commercial during a timeout.

Have a great Holiday and please post more pictures!

Cheers,
Rion
GinMame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 09:55 AM   #256
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Rion, I avoid video so I can't help you out.

I am thinking of getting an iPad and am reading up on it. The reason is that I get the NY Times mailed to me and it is so expensive, the digital version would save me $208/year. This would pay for an iPad in 2 to 3 years depending which one I bought. What I am finding out is that the iPad is different enough from all the Mac's I have had that I am confused. It is similar enough that I may figure it out. So far as getting the Times in the digital version and hoping it is as portable and easy to read as the print version, I am having trouble getting clear answers from the Times, Apple and others. I am surprised how little the experts know about the products they are selling.

I'll probably buy it because there are other reasons to use an iPad. One that will save me a lot of time is that it can display all the photos I have never printed (I guess I already saved the time by not printing them, but Barb is not happy about that). That would be cool. And if I want more access to info, I can get the 3G version, but then I don't save any money and actually spend more. Or do I use MiFi (more capital in investment) instead of 3G?

This modern world is so complex. The paper used to be on the doorstep in the morning, now I'll have to push buttons or screens to read it.

So good luck with video.

Gene
Old 11-23-2011, 10:02 AM   #257
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Gene,

My 39 year old computer-genius son, an ITS manager with a large corporation, would tell you to get that IPad, and you'll figure it out.

They are a good product, so small and compact, and you can do so much with them.

Learning curves as we get older are such a pain in the ass.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Maggie
Old 11-23-2011, 06:54 PM   #258
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug&maggie View Post

Learning curves as we get older are such a pain in the ass.

Maggie,

You bet! I have been pricing data plans with Verizon. I went to a store and the guy I talked too was wrong about most of what he told me. I looked at the Verizon website—it's about the worst website I've ever seen. I called Verizon and the guy talked too fast, didn't enunciate clearly and seemed to be in love with Verizon. The plans are set up to push you into a contract for more than you need and the MiFi contracts are especially burdensome. If you get the $20/mo. 1 GB prepaid plan, no contract, but you have to buy another month within 3 weeks or they charge an activation fee, or you can buy the $30/mo. 2 GB postpaid plan with a contract and suspend it for 6 mos. at a time. MiFi (which would enable me to use data via the cell network on both the laptop and iPad and 3 other devices I don't have) seems to require 5 GB at $50/mo. with contract.

I pretty much doubt I would come close to using 1 GB in many months. In fact, the reason I have considered this is for traveling, something we mostly do in the 6 month travel season.

So, dealing with Verizon is not fun and I do not respect them or any other cellphone company. But there is no choice is you are going to use the cell network in much of the west. With an iPad you have only ATT (bad network here) and Verizon (much better network). The prepaid contract seems to include roaming, but it is extra, a lot extra, in Canada.

So, I will figure it out, but it reminds me of our 2 Toyotas. The controls are much the same, but on one the key goes in the side of the steering column and in the other, it is on the dashboard. If it is dark, I try to put the key in the wrong place a high percentage of the time. I will not buy a data plan right away and may not buy the 3G model saving $130.

There is also the gadget factor. I like things with flashing lights and meters. I have to control that.

Gene
Old 11-23-2011, 07:34 PM   #259
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Question

Tell me again why I need our MBP while on "vacation".

I fell thru the cyber-hole for a year.....and survived.

Bob

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 08:40 PM   #260
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Tell me again why I need our MBP while on "vacation".

I fell thru the cyber-hole for a year.....and survived.

Bob
Bob,

You are a strong man, or, maybe an old one.

I need more than my Mac Book Pro. But from the mid '60's to the mid '80's I had no TV. I survived, but I was reawakened to the wonders of "500 channels and nothing's on". So now I pay enormous amount to the Dish Network to get about 15 channels we want and hundreds I don't want. Of those big bucks they collect, $4/mo. goes to ESPN, for ex., and we never watch it. I have to figure out how to get the channels we want through the internet on our TV's and can the Dish.

Gene
Old 11-23-2011, 09:07 PM   #261

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
I love surfin on a Mac Book Pro, but like you...WTH is the right click when I need it?

I'm postin this from my IPad...don't need no stinking mouse!
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 06:44 AM   #262
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiHoAgRV View Post
I love surfin on a Mac Book Pro, but like you...WTH is the right click when I need it?

I'm postin this from my IPad...don't need no stinking mouse!
What'a a right click? I foregot.

Don't get me started on the cyber providers, TW just added more cr@p we don't want so they can charge $6 more a month.

Bob

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

RLC
Old 11-24-2011, 08:32 AM   #263
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Maggie,

I have been pricing data plans with Verizon.....dealing with Verizon is not fun and I do not respect them or any other cellphone company. But there is no choice is you are going to use the cell network in much of the west. With an iPad you have only ATT (bad network here) and Verizon (much better network). The prepaid contract seems to include roaming, but it is extra, a lot extra, in Canada.

There is also the gadget factor. I like things with flashing lights and meters. I have to control that.

Gene
We have had Verizon since day 1 with cellphones and, I have to tell ya, we have been extremely happy with it. Some of the folks in the stores have no real knowledge, and you can get someone on the phone remotely who is English-as-a-second-language, obviously answering questions off a script and also has no real knowledge.

But, there are also some very, very knowledgeable folks at Verizon. You may have to ask for a supervisor to cut through the crap and get the information you need. That's what I do.

We bought a Droid phone about a year ago, after the Mac-hard-drive-crash after "someone" used it on a bumpy road. It has been perfect for our needs. We have our beloved Verizon network and mobile broadband so that we can receive and respond to email without pulling out the laptop and risking problems.

As for flashing lights et al, there are also more bells and whistles on the Droid phone, via free apps, than you can imagine. If I just feel like fiddling, or we are on the road with the grandbabies and they feel like fiddling, there is an endless array of entertainment to be had.

We are not into GPS, but do use this on the Droid phone on occasion, which works quite well and is very handy. A free app, as is Nook.

Just things to think about.

Maggie
Old 11-24-2011, 09:43 AM   #264
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Someone was trying to explain right click to me when I was using a Microsoft machine for some reason and I never could get it "right". I think there's a way to do it on a Mac, but why? I think it can be left off.

I know Android is very popular and believe between Google and Apple, Microsoft's days may be numbered. I'll stick with Apple because of compatibility between devices and Apple's reliability. I don't see any reason to get an iPhone because I have no need for that for the foreseeable future. One dumb phone between us works fine. If we lived in a place where there was good cell reception, then we could get rid of our land line, but using the phone only on the front steps is not a great option. And, given the iPhone's reputation as a not very good phone, going dumb makes sense to me. Of course, if Barb wants an iPhone I will have no choice.

I doubt Apple will do it, but a Black Friday sale would be nice. I think I saw something about accessories being discounted tomorrow and if I go for it tomorrow, I would only get the iPad and the cover. I looked at reviews for the Smart Cover and people hate it or love it. Some say it wears badly or scratches the iPad; others have no problems. I have to think about whether I want a keyboard—an aftermarket one is much cheaper, so I can wait while I get used to the imaginary keyboard on the iPad.

I agree some people at Verizon know what they are talking about, but when we get some who are ignorant, then we are unsure any of them are right. All cell companies make their pricing and plans very difficult to understand and try to arrange info so you buy more than you need. This turns me off to buying anything because I don't like dealing with that. Something that should take 5 minutes to understand takes hours to figure out. My time is worth more than that. In talking to people at Apple, they aren't all so knowledgeable about how Newstand works or the NY Times downloads. I find the same thing talking to doctors—when I know more than they do, I get really worried.

All this is taking too much time and I should be getting the house ready for sale by owner, but I've got a week to get that done (personal deadline set at "end of month"). I'm about 1/3 of the way through a book on the iPad, but I'm getting pretty clear on what makes sense to buy. I'd like to find some expenses we could cut to balance this out and the Dish Network is looking more and more vulnerable. I can't figure out what the extra fees are for. I have to learn how to get TV through the internet and onto the TV—ugh, something else to learn.

Gene
Old 11-24-2011, 09:59 AM   #265
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
"I have to learn how to get TV through the internet and onto the TV—ugh, something else to learn."

Gene,

I may try antenna....remember those.

Couldn't believe the HD broadcast picture we got on the AS's Aquos.
S&T of TW and the add-on fees.

Bob

RLC

RLC
Old 11-24-2011, 11:26 AM   #266
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Bob, where we live, the translator gets a couple of Grand Junction stations and that is it. They used to have a PBS station, but I think that ended a few years ago. If you watched GJ stations, you would quickly give up on TV. Maybe that's a good thing.

Yes, the HDTV that came with the trailer (a Samsung) is very good when we are in an area where there is a HD station. It is even good with SD.

Right now there are many ways to transport signals from a source to a receiver—telephone lines, cable (coaxial), cable (fiber), radio (broadcast, wifi, wireless, cell), satellite. Competition is not bringing us an efficient, fast, reasonably priced system. Back when telephone companies were young, cities would have 2 or more systems, not interconnected, until Bell bought out all the competitors. Consolidation is going on, but is not bringing us a better system and without regulation, costs are much higher than they used to be for a landline and a TV antenna. The ideal situation would be free wifi everywhere subsidized because overall it would be cheaper than the multiple systems we have now. Content providers would pay for some of it, we would pay for some of it and the government the rest to make sure the country was ahead of everyone else—it is like transporting goods and people. A good free or low priced highway, air and water transportation system makes the country richer; transporting information does the same. But now we think small and others are ahead of us.

In the meantime, I'll have to do what I can and find out how to find hot spots with an iPad.

Gene