Old 09-07-2011, 06:33 AM   #127
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
More photos from Bannock:

1. Most of the buildings are along this street road—looking east.

2. Looking west.

3. Old courthouse/hotel.

4. Interior of courthouse/hotel.

Gene
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010001.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	527.9 KB
ID:	139584   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010006.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	332.0 KB
ID:	139586  

Name:	P1010003.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	294.6 KB
ID:	139587   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010002.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	431.7 KB
ID:	139588  

Old 09-07-2011, 06:43 AM   #128
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
And more:

1. Interior of house. Wallpaper is falling off wood wall.

2. Walking toward the jail.

3. Some rusting mining equipment in foreground; outbuildings and houses off the main road.

Today we drive, looking for a forest service campground northwest of Dillon near the Continental Divide for several days.

Gene
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1010008.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	427.2 KB
ID:	139589   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010007.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	380.6 KB
ID:	139590  

Name:	P1010004.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	347.4 KB
ID:	139591  

Old 09-11-2011, 08:54 PM   #129
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
After a long time without wifi, exceot briefly, we are in Salmon, Idaho. Events follow:

Wednesday. About 30 miles from Dillon, we descended into a broad valley filled with ranches and saw a cloud covering the valley. It seemed too late in the morning for a cloud, but as we drove into it we discovered it was smoke. I knew there was a forest fire east of Missoula, about a 100 miles north, but I have no idea where this smoke came from. I closed the truck vent, but not before the truck smelled smokey. The haze continued for scores of miles and my eyes started watering and I began to cough.

We couldn’t see the mountains ahead of us. By the time we crossed over Chief Joseph Pass, the smoke had thinned. We passed Big Hole Battlefield NM not wanting more smoke. By this time we were in mountains and in a pine forest. A long descent on US 93 brought us into the narrow Bitterroot Valley. By the time we reached the minute town of Sula, it was becoming pretty built up along the highway with tourist services and vacation homes. This must be Missoula’s vacationland.

North of Sula is Darby, more like a real small town with shoppes, restaurants, motels and RV parks. We continued north 4 miles to the turn off for Como Lake and in several miles found 2 campgrounds. The upper one has no hookups, a dusty gravel road and no sites we liked. So we went to the lower campground and found a site we liked. The roads and pads here are paved. There are a few sites in the upper campground with lake views but they were taken. There are a few sites in the lower one with river views, but they were taken too. So we settled on one on the inner side of the loop.

This is one of the campgrounds that has been leased to a concessionaire and has electric and water, so I still don’t get to see how our new solar system works. It may be the upper campground will soon be too because a lot of trees are marked to be cut. But some of the trees are beetle kill, so they have to be cut so they don;t fall on the road. The smoke had disappeared.

Concessionaires double the price, but a senior pass halves it to what used to be full price. The concessionaire campground only had about 3 vacant sites out of 11, the other one had about 8 sites vacant. Obviously people prefer electric and water, but we didn’t. It is what it is.

Now we relax, though we haven’t been doing much of anything else for the past 3 days.

This campground has poor wifi, but a neighbor has a much better signal. Thanks neighbor.

Gene
Old 09-11-2011, 09:05 PM   #130
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Here are some photos of the trailer at the campground, but some others that I took with a new camera have disappeared. They've improved iPhoto and now it is hard to use compared to earlier versions.

Gene
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1010001.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	589.8 KB
ID:	139988   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010002.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	582.4 KB
ID:	139989  

Old 09-11-2011, 09:26 PM   #131
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Then Thursday—

In the morning we smelled some smoke and the sky was hazy. Either we got used to it (my eyes haven’t) or it blew away later. It is easy to be lazy here and we adapt to it.

Going over campgrounds in Idaho along US 93 and south, many FS campgrounds are closed as of Labor Day. The two or three on Stanley Lake are either closed, under construction (more concessions probably) or open and not under construction. Working from the AAA Campground book, Moon’s book on campgrounds, RV Park Reviews, I am overwhelmed by information, with not all sources in agreement with each other. There are some places with developed hot springs and some with undeveloped hot springs. Some have had their forests cut down because of beetle kill. There’s a commercial campground in Challis with hot springs pools that may be a possibility for one night, and then several options around Stanley at FS campgrounds.

When we get a chance to check on the internet, I’ll be able to find out more and be over-overwhelmed with data. It seemed simpler when we had next to no information and just drove until we saw someplace we liked. Now I must seek perfection.

We went out on an adventure. We walked around the campground and then got in the truck to drive up to Lake Como. It was a real lake, but an irrigation project resulted in more than tripling the size. The haze is so thick it was hard to see the mountains on the other side, so we didn’t take any photos.

The stimulus for the walk was trying out our new camera. Last year when we were at Denali NP, we found our Olympus camera’s telephoto wasn’t good enough for wildlife photos so we used Christmas money to buy a Canon single lens reflex. The Olympus was difficult to use for anything but simple photos, took forever to take a picture and the viewfinder didn’t show the actual photo since it did not view through the lens. This is why people look at the little screen to see what they are taking a picture of, something I couldn’t do because I had to put on and take off my reading glasses constantly to operate the damn thing. I gave up trying to understand it years ago.

Last winter I read some of the book for the Canon. It was more than I could remember—about a score of buttons and zillions of options. I realized I had to use it before I could understand it. It is now 8 months later and I used the Quick Start Guide and put the telephoto lens on it. It actually took photos that way and easily attaches to the computer and I don’t have to use the Canon software and learn more than my weary old brain can remember.

It takes pictures like my old, beloved Minolta SRT 101 did until it died in 2002 in Alaska. I could use the Minolta half asleep and knew how to manage depth of field, f/stops and speed. All those options are available, and too many more. I will just keep using it and reading a little more at a time and eventually, before my 80th birthday, figure it out. The electronics on this are much easier to understand than the Olympus, a camera which I may someday drive over a few times cackling as I destroy it. With the Olympus I had to download the manual and print it. To save ink, I printed it in black and white, a mistake because color was important in understanding what the various colors of print meant. I wasn’t going to go back and print in color and handed the camera and the badly printed and incomprehensible manual to Barb and said it was her special gift. She figured out how to turn it on, move the wimpy telephoto lens, and download from it. It has gotten a lot of service and takes decent snapshots, but hate it. When we were at Hoover Dam last year, a guy came over to me and told me he used to work for Olympus and asked me how I liked the camera. I told him I hated it and he agreed I was right. It seems those camera from 2002 helped make Olympus a minor player in digital cameras.

Next we stay lazy, play with the camera and eat and sleep.

And now it is Sunday and we have accomplished little. I don't know where the photos went I downloaded, but they weren't very good anyway. The smoke comes and goes and there may be a little rain tomorrow to cleanse the air.

The pickings of commercial campsites are slim. One in North Fork charges $10 according to RV Park Reviews to use their dump station if you don't have a sewer hookup, so we passed that by. Century 2 in Salmon is between the highway and river and is minimal, but the neighbor has good wifi, we can get some TV from a translator and we have full hookups. It is between a gas station and some other business and there are only 2 or 3 others here. Good for one night. If this is hunting season in Idaho, there aren't many in evidence. Tomorrow we go to Stanley and see if there are spaces at Stanley Lake CG. AAA says it is closed, but the public lands website says it is open. We have 3 nights before we have to start home and be serious.

This area is not like I imagined. There are fewer trees. Perhaps the hills have been forested and the trees didn't come back because of cattle grazing. Some land is so marginal, a forest won't grow back once cut. It is hotter than I expected—the Bitterroot Valley is fairly low in altitude. It goes down into the 40's at night, but into the 80's during the day. Stanley is over 6,000' I think, so it will be cooler there and the forecast is for mid-30's at night. The mountains are neither as high or rugged as Colorado, but with all the smoke, I couldn't see them very well. My lungs and eyes will be happy to get out of here.

Gene
Old 09-15-2011, 08:07 PM   #132
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Thursday—we have left Idaho and are at a marginally ok KOA in Brigham City, Utah. The wifi is not very good. I'll do some posts one by one and later try photos because I don't trust the connection:

Monday. We drove further up the Salmon River Valley. Until we got past Challis, the hills were brown and bare as the highway wound along the river. Challis is a small tourist town with the cheapest gas along this route. It is not cheap, but cheaper.

As were kept ascending (slowly) trees moved down the hills to the valley floor. At Sunbeam, there’s a road north to 2 ghost towns, but we learned there is construction and they only let cars through every 2 hours. We will skip that. Further along we saw Sunbeam Hot Springs between the road and the river and may come back to check that out. We arrived first in Lower Stanley and then in Stanley—you can’t tell the difference except Stanley actually looks more like a town with about 80-100 residents.

We stopped at the Stanley Baking Co. hoping to find some fresh bread, but this is a bakery that doesn’t sell bread. It did have some Danish which we didn’t want. it is a cafe with all 3 meals, so we had a good lunch and may return for breakfast while we are here.

A FS website said the Stanley Lake CG was open, but it wasn’t. We went on to Stanley Lake Inlet and found a long site. Though it appeared to be difficult to back into, I did it without a problem. Apparently I’ve got this backing thing figured out by now. This is another concessionaire operated CG and so the fee is much higher with all sorts of nuisance fees for more people, more vehicles, etc. If you read the signs literally, you would have to pay the base fee for your truck and another $5 for the trailer (we assumed it didn’t mean that). The base fee is $15 (half for senior pass). For that you get primitive sites, potholes, dumpster, toilets (which may be flush)..

Our dinette faces the lake and we are surrounded by willow bushes and some lodgepole conifers. I bunch of vehicles have pulled in near us with lots of kids who are cavorting and putting up tents. There are bear warnings, so I hope they follow the food rules. Don’t kids have to go to school?

We saw 3 Airstreams on the highway today and 2 parked. One was about 30+’ by a house, but another was an Excella around 30” sitting in a field. It didn’t look too bad and is about 5 or 10 miles south of Salmon. Maybe you’d like to see if it is for sale and rescue it. We also saw a Streamline and another aluminum cousin parked near people’s homes.

The smoke became thinner as we ascended the Salmon River Valley and here it is clear for the first time in more than a week. It is cloudy and it rained for a few minutes. We can see the Sawtooth Range from here without a haze. The solar panels are charging despite a pretty thick cloud cover and the batteries are at 100%. Since it is supposed to be 36˚ tonight and lower each morning after, we will get to test the system with the furnace tonight.

Tomorrow I will experiment again with the new camera and see if the photos I download disappear again.

Gene
Old 09-15-2011, 08:15 PM   #133
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Tuesday. We got up to fog. It had rained during the evening and perhaps during the night. Since our outside temperature sensor stopped working, we don’t know how cold it was to get, but the forecast for Stanley was 37˚ and we are higher than that, all we know is it got cold. The furnace ran a lot, but the batteries only went down to 75% instead of the usual 40-50% we have experienced with the OEM batteries and by mid morning were over 100%. So new, better batteries and the solar upgrade are working.

I also found the photos I had taken with the new camera. The camera thought it was 2010 and when I looked for last year, there they were. When I put a newly charged battery in the camera, it must have gone to a default year—maybe when it was born. I notice the camera picks up haze more than the old one—better optics—so I have to get a haze filter.

First we went back to the Stanley Baking Co. and had a good breakfast. They have many veggie and healthy options. All the locals seem to eat there plus a lot of tourists. Then off to the Ranger Station where I got a free map without much information, but better than paying $10 for the FS map. We saw there were some ghost towns north of Stanley and we went looking for the FS road. When we found a narrow, 2 track jeep trail at the far end of North Stanley, we decided to see where it goes. It is supposed to be named Nip and Tuck Rd. It is more suited to a small vehicle like a Jeep, so we were just making it between the trees and bushes with the Tundra. It wasn’t anything like the Jeep trails in Colorado—sandy soil here seems to make for a smoother road and there were few rocks.

We drove and drove passing an old stage stop, now a log cabin falling apart and an abandoned mine site. We came to a junction of FS roads and tried to figure out from the 3 bad maps we had what was where—our free maps had no FS numbers on them, and many of the roads didn’t either. We tried one that eventually led to a dead end with barely enough room to turn around a full sized pickup. If I tried to back up the hill (better than backing down the drop off), the hitch hit the hillside before I could power up the 45˚ grade of the hill. So I took off the hitch and and backed up until the truck seemed to be at a 45˚ angle and managed to turn around. With 45,000 miles on the Michelins, they still grabbed a sandy hillside and got me out of there.

We continued to drive around finding that free maps are not always a bargain, after miles of 2 track the road widened we came to a mining site. There were three buildings—2 very small and one with 2 rooms, much larger. Lots of rusty cans strewn around, but it looked pretty picked over. There was a large pipe going down to what must have been a hydraulicking site. Hydraulicking is when water is diverted to a hose and nozzle at the end of a pipe and the land is sprayed with water to free up any gold particles in an old stream bed. We didn’t follow the pipe all the way because thunder was getting closer. There was also a mine hole near the buildings. We continued driving—the pipe went under the road and over to a big embankment. It didn’t look natural, and we took a road that followed it and stopped. It was a reservoir and even had a little water in it. It was about an acre in size and at least 10’ deep, so that is a lot of water. When I climbed the embankment, I saw a motorhome and 2 trailer parked on the other side of the reservoir.

We descended into a broad valley and saw some antelope (pronghorn) running away from us and got a photo when they stopped in the sagebrush—this was what I bought the camera and telephoto for. Looking at the photo, it is obvious they blend very well so long as they don’t run. They posed for me, and then ran further off.

We returned to the Safari after a few hours of light four wheeling. The air is clearer, but there is still a persistent haze.

Last night we found a public radio station and they played blues all evening, a real treat. Today I couldn’t find any news on it and I suspect NPR is not much tolerated in Idaho. Classical music during the day and now trumpet music. I’m hoping for the blues, but we have plenty of blues CD’s, so I guess I’ll have to get up and put one in the box. The moon just came up over the Sawtooth Range and it looks full—I thought it was full a week ago, but maybe time has stopped. I should have brought a tripod because it is between the conifers and would be a good photo.

Today’s question: what song has a line about listening to Spike Jones on the box?

Gene
Old 09-15-2011, 08:28 PM   #134
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Wednesday. I went to check out the propane tanks and atop one was a small black widow—red-orange hour glass and disorganized web. That’s the 2nd one I’ve seen in my life, the first being in NYC. I got the fly swatter and feeling very inadequate with a weapon that needs a flat surface to be effective, returned, but she (or he—how would I know?), had left. I decided we had plenty of propane. We might freeze, but it is a less painful death than a black widow bite.

I also discovered my backing up hill yesterday had bent the 7 prong electrical plug bracket back about 45˚. I straightened it, cleaned it and cleaned the very dirty hitch receiver and hitch head. The hitch receiver was in fine shape.

The air is better today and temps have stayed in the mid to upper 70’s. Hard to tell exactly as our Acurite temp unit has failed. It only tells us inside temp. and not very accurately. Tonight is supposed to be 33˚. Solar system works perfectly and by early morning today (no fog, fewer clouds) voltage was well over 100%.

We spent the day reading. Barb finished a novel and I got 2/3 through a book on selling our properties ourselves. It goes fast, so another 2 hours and I’m done. Then comes all the internet research and preparations. Our realtor is a good guy, but we have to try something different.

Yesterday we looked at other campgrounds around Redfish Lake, an even more popular place than Stanley Lake. We were not particularly impressed. All have much higher fees than FS campgrounds have had in the past and it looks like all CG’s on public lands will be run by concessionaires with some improvements I can live without. What we see is that people find informal campsites nearby or up some FS road and camp there. No neighbors, no fees, no services (but a dump station and water at the Ranger Station 2+ miles south of Stanley). I think they have free firewood there too, but it is $6 here. The most improved CG's have more pullouts, paved roads and pads and some sites are longer for modern RV’s. Some of best sites are doubles where it appears you to have pay double ($32/night). Mostly they are empty. This CG is slated for improvements by next year. Of the 3 FS CG’s we have stayed at we have never seen the camp host except for the 1st where the hosts kept riding around on 4-wheelers and seemed to be doing some work.

Tomorrow we start out 740 mile drive home to return on Saturday. We’d like to wash and trailer and truck, get ready to sell our properties ourselves, unpack and re-pack for visiting in-laws and the Balloon Fiesta and a thousand other things. This guarantees our usual exhaustion.

Thursday. It appears the furnace ran all night and the heat wasn’t very hot. This ran down the batteries to 25-30%. As soon as there is sun they charged well. I think it got down to 29˚ as we used a freezer thermometer outside to check. When we got to Utah I looked at the furnace, but couldn’t figure out how to adjust it. I could smell unburnt propane coming from the exhaust and believe the fuel/air mixture is off, but don’t know what to do. We won’t need the furnace on the way home and I’ll have to figure this out later.

The drive to Utah was uneventful. We saw an old motorhome/bus at a rest stop and found it was once used by Bob Dillon as a tour bus, but was too small for him. it was in good shape and had murals on both sides.

Tomorrow we go to Green River, Utah, where we found the melon festival is going on. This means they charge more, but it is only 175 miles from home and 6 or 7 hour drive from here. The big challenge is the awful traffic in the SLC area and the perpetual construction on I-15. Later I’ll post photos.

Gene
Old 09-15-2011, 09:19 PM   #135
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
Today’s question: what song has a line about listening to Spike Jones on the box?

Gene
"Up On Cripple Creek" — Credence Clearwater Revival.

I'm not getting the feeling that this trip is as much fun as others you two have taken, Gene. Am I right? Hope not...
Old 09-15-2011, 09:47 PM   #136

2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
I was going to pm this as it's off the trip topic, but your inbox is full.

What was the altitude where the furnace wasn't burning all the propane? Similar to the previous night? Just thinking about simple things that could affect it... I wouldn't think spiders would make much difference from one day to the next, but they seem to be the bane of Airstream water heaters. That might be a possibility.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | Il Progetto — 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 10:56 PM   #137
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
DKB, My inbox is full because my supporting member status expired when I was unable to get wifi and like a credit card company, as soon as something goes wrong, boom, you are downgraded. I couldn't access the link to pay up and so I am now a lowly member of minor status. So be it.

I offed the spider this morning and checked the tanks. I figured there wouldn't be another black widow in the same area. One full, the other 1/3 to 1/2 full. I use the "lift it up and see how heavy it is" system. We always fill the empty or nearly empty one and thus always have a full one. This caution comes from running out early in our Airstream travels.

We have used the furnace at all altitudes and I do wonder how (or if) it adjusts itself to high altitude, but it has worked fine up to now. We haven't used it in quite a while because it either been warm or we've had 120 v. and used the ceramic heater. I suspect it needs adjusting, but the documentation with it I have looked at so far is useless. I have to look some more. Paper wasps are attracted to propane, but I don't know if black widows are. If they got in there, they would be fried anyway. I will try to clean out 4 years of dirt, but removing the furnace would be a pain. Turn it on and the gas burner fires right away, so that works.

Are we having fun? Yes, Aage, but Alaska is more fun. Smoke reduces fun. We wanted to explore SW Montana and east central Idaho and some of it is quite beautiful, but not as much as either Alaska, NW Canada or Colorado. We wanted to relax and be lazy and we have succeeded. Stanley was good—the restaurant we found was very good, scenery good, driving around was fun although turning around a full size pickup on a 2 track road was not fun at all. I'm not happy with what is happening to FS campgrounds (close early, concessionaires).

Up on Cripple Creek is correct. But the band was The Band. I didn't ask the name of the band, so you get an A, but no extra credit.

Can't upload photos, maybe later.

Gene
Old 09-16-2011, 06:48 AM   #138
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Gene,

Take your torch and look down the "Black Hole". When I lit ours this Spring It stunk pretty good and was a bit louder than normal. Turns out the dreaded MD had made a nest that was partially blocking the blast tube.

As usual, profoundly enjoying your verbosity...

Bob
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC07774.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	182.3 KB
ID:	140262  

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 09:15 AM   #139
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Bob, I did look in there and couldn't see anything. Not sure what I should see. How did you get the wasps out?

Gene
Old 09-16-2011, 09:38 AM   #140
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
Bob, I did look in there and couldn't see anything. Not sure what I should see. How did you get the wasps out?

Gene

Gene,

I was afraid you'd ask that. (Don't tell Sandra.)

Grey blob 'bout the size of a golf ball way down the tube.

I broke the nest up by poking it with one of her extra long barbecue forks.
After it was in itty bitty pieces: I quack taped a length of tubing, that fit down the black hole, to the suc hose on our shop-vac and sent them critters straight to Hades.

Bob

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote