Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-08-2015, 12:00 AM   #161
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Fall foliage

What are your suggestions for a tour to see the fall foliage in New England?

It looks like the prime color turn starts around the end of September. Any ideas on a good home base in Vermont, New Hampshire, and Maine?

Your help is appreciated. This will be Glimmer's first trip East. Should be fun!

Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 12:24 AM   #162
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
Gene, the horrible heat wave has broken. The Island is supposed to get some cooling rain early next week. Rain or shine - you're headed to a good place!

massey, I believe Gene is taking the ferry from Port Angeles.

Keep safe....and keep us informed.
Old 08-08-2015, 12:27 AM   #163
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by masseyfarm View Post
You have the hardest part over Gene. Just getting away is the most difficult.

And the miles will be easier after the first few days of adjustment. Looks like you will have some cooler weather on the Island. Should be good for sightseeing.

Wed, and Sat evenings after 4PM are discount days for overlength vehicles on the main route out of Tsawwassen terminal, on BC Ferries. Check that out online.

Have a fun trip.

The video was a

Dave
I'm pretty sure Gene is taking the Port Angeles-Victoria Black Ball ferry. I've never done that. However I've been on both the Anacortes and Tsawwassen ferries. I much prefer the Tsawwassen. I'm not sure how he's coming back.

Ken

P.S.
DISLAIMER:
Any info I post about Washington state is either based on only 4 1/2 months experience or is more than 22 years out of date.

What the heck happened to Seattle while I was gone?
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 04:58 AM   #164
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
We're taking the ferry from Pt. Angeles to Victoria and back. Last time we came back via Nanaimo to N. Vancouver. We avoid big cities, so we aren't going through or near Vancouver nor Seattle. Glad to hear the heat wave has subsided, though clear skies are nice.

Pat, best time to be a "leaf peeper" is late Sept. to October. Our trip to see the trees turn was to drive to N. Eng. as fast as possible, go to northern N. Eng. and NY and drive south through the mountains as far as Kentucky and thus follow the change in weather southwest. It was great as we timed it perfectly, something that was as much luck as good planning because you can be always a week behind or ahead. The brightest colors are the reds of the maple trees in the north. Driving 3,000+ miles to see this is not enjoyable as that far on interstates is a job, so take your time and see the sights along the way. We took interstates most of the way, but would take a day here and there to rest. You'll need at least a month to do it from Cal. We did it before we had a trailer and ran into snow on the way in northern NY, but lucked out in timing and weather—rest of the trip was clear weather. Trees change according to light, weather and mysterious things only known to trees.

Gene

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 05:08 AM   #165
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, Gene; Go by my house and see if it's still there. And wait for us to return. We are only a few miles away in some place called Pennsylvania.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 12:27 PM   #166
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag&Au View Post
I'm pretty sure Gene is taking the Port Angeles-Victoria Black Ball ferry. I've never done that. However I've been on both the Anacortes and Tsawwassen ferries. I much prefer the Tsawwassen. I'm not sure how he's coming back.

Ken

P.S.
DISLAIMER:
Any info I post about Washington state is either based on only 4 1/2 months experience or is more than 22 years out of date.

What the heck happened to Seattle while I was gone?
If going to Vancouver Island via Tsawwassen, take the more scenic Swartz Bay vs. Duke Point route. The Swartz Bay route takes you through Active Pass.

Old 08-08-2015, 07:31 PM   #167
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Bob, your house was just a pile of ashes and nuclear waste (if I had some film, I could have made an x-ray). It was hard to see past the caution tape, but I thought I saw the tail of a missile that had a maple leaf on it. I was hoping to make off with your TV, but there was just a lump of plastic. Enjoy Pa., some parts of the coal mining area (Hazleton, Wilkes-Barre, for ex.) look just like your house.

Today we drove north through the Warm Springs Indian Res. The road ascends toward Mt. Hood area and we came out of the sagebrush desert and into the conifers. I saw lodgepole and a few ponderosas plus other trees I don't know the names of. Some looked 80-100' high—old growth forest. Glad to get out of the desert. Temps were down to the low 80's and there was a lot of traffic coming from Portland. Mt. Hood from 50 miles away was obscured by haze, but as we drew closer either the haze dissipated or there was less and the mountain stood out. So far it is a dormant volcano, I hope.

Lots and lots of traffic as we came to Portland, but we escaped north to Wash. and went to the Pendleton store and mill in Washougal. I didn't find robe I wanted—they had a heavily discounted one in tartan, but I wanted Indian designs. I guess I do with my 25 year old $5 robe for a while.

Yesterday we made reservations at Toutle River RV Resort because we were worried there would be no sites anywhere after yesterday's issue. I was driving and couldn't check the reviews online. Mistake. This place has lots of amenities for a long stay, but is between busy I-5 and a railroad. The trains here have extra loud whistles, blow them a lot and come along frequently. Before you get to the office there is a kiosk where a woman hands you a form to fill out about your tow vehicle and calls the office to let your through. No one answers. After 15 minutes she lets us through and we got to the office. Everywhere there are rules—ones on the kiosk you can't read from your truck and ones in the office you don't want to read. We check in and go to our site. Roads are paved and site was level. Basic amenities, but Tengo wifi—slow and with many limits. Then the trains come. Get inside and turn on A/C and TV to drown out the whistles, but we can still hear them. We can get some local TV and it is not good unless you like shopping channels. If you are hard of hearing (not just hard, very hard) this is a good place. We have been to Nazi campgrounds before and we can add this to out list. Nice big tree out the window though.

Barb just handed me another half beer and I have to drink it. One beer makes me somewhat loaded. Before I can't find the laptop keys, I'd better stop.

Gene

Old 08-08-2015, 10:54 PM   #168
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
-- snip ---- best time to be a "leaf peeper" is late Sept. to October. --- snip --- Driving 3,000+ miles to see this is not enjoyable --- snip --- Trees change according to light, weather and mysterious things only known to trees. Gene
Thanks Gene, we have been practicing. Just returned from the shake down run to Kansas. Interstates are fast but interesting side trips do help with the travel experience. Lot's to see. There is even a mother ship out there. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 07:42 PM   #169
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Yesterday we drove to Gig Harbor RV Resort, situated on a hill just outside of Gig Harbor. The CG is improved since we stayed here 3 years ago with wifi that actually works and better TV. The CG has narrow spaces tiered on a hill and so long as we stay inside or go around town, it is fine, though too many trailers among the many trees leaves little to do outside. Fine for our purposes.

Gig Harbor is an expensive suburb of Tacoma as well as a tourist zone. Three years ago it was pretty quiet, but things have picked up and there are lots more restaurants. Just downhill from the CG is a restaurant with a strange name—Hi-Iu-Hee-Hee or something like that. Breakfast was quite good—first you get a fruit bowl with ripe fruit, then a little waffle, then what you ordered. I had a skillet; it was good.

Last evening we met Dan L., who about 4 years ago had an Airstream for a while. He sold it for more than he paid for it when his life changed. We had dinner at Il Tucano (also unsure of spelling) and it was good too. We spent the evening catching up and telling stories.

Today we went north to Pt. Orchard and met Ken and Sue (Au&Ag) and saw how hard it is to park their 31' trailer in their driveway. They got it in, but not an easy place to park. We told more stories, maybe the same ones as last night, and then got a tour of the Pt. Orchard area and had a late lunch at a Thai place that was different than we are used to, but ok. Then back to their house and a tour of their trailer—lots of space, nice wood, but too big to park at our house. Ken and Sue moved here a couple of months ago after she retired and they left Colorado. Though Ken is the "cat guy" on the Forum, we only saw one and it was mostly asleep; the others hid.

This entire area is heavily treed and if you just drive by on the expressway, Wash. 16, you go through a green tunnel, but beyond that it is hills, trees and houses all over, hidden in the trees. Lots of traffic. Water everywhere and from Ken's house, through a small space in the trees, you can see Seattle. Probably as close as I want to go to Seattle. Although it rained a little this morning (I promised to bring some), they have had little or no rain for 2 months. The grass is brown, but the trees mostly look ok. We did see some south of Olympia with beetle kill—characteristically red needles as the tree dies fast once the beetles hatch inside and spread blue fungus which clogs up the sap passages in the tree. Oregon trees looked worse with a lot of die off of new shoots as the tree protects itself from lack of moisture.

In the past week we have met 2 Forum members who post a lot and Dan, who made a splash several years ago on the Forum. Pleasant times with all and none of those awkward moments in the conversation when no one can think of anything to say. It's good to have faces and more personality to put with the posts on the Forum.

Tomorrow we go north to Sequim for 2 nights. That'll will give us a chance to drive over to Pt. Townshend and see it, and then it is an easy tow to Pt. Angeles for the ferry.

Maybe I'll download photos if I have time. Dan wants to stop over and see our trailer, so maybe not.

Gene

Old 08-10-2015, 09:34 PM   #170
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Dan can't come this evening, so I'll try to download photos. It didn't work on the CG Tengo wifi, so I'll try our JetPack.

1. Mt. Hood from 50 miles away through the forest fire haze.

2. from 20 miles, less haze, bigger.

3. Sandy, Oregon, has many flowers along the main drag. Though the Colorado wildflowers are colorful, they are small flowers on small plants and dispersed among the sagebrush, dirt, sparse grasses and some trees. In the Pacific coastal area, they are big, lush, covering everything.

4. While I don't know if Oregon City is really boring, the state highway dep't thinks it is.

Gene
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	16.6 KB
ID:	245214   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	245215  

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	245216   Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	245217  

Old 08-10-2015, 09:46 PM   #171
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
More photos. I now know how to load more than 4, but more photos makes them all run together in my mind, so I'll stick with 4.

1. Pendleton mill and store in Washougal, Wash.

2. Tidal Flat on one of the multitude of bays, estuaries, lakes and sounds. I think this was on the road between Shelton and Allyn, Wash.

3. Seattle from across Puget Sound. Lots of haze today, but pretty dry and sunny.

4. Bridge between Bremerton (on left) and another town. Bremerton has a large naval base.
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	125
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	245218   Click image for larger version

Views:	122
Size:	40.3 KB
ID:	245219  

Views:	167
Size:	37.5 KB
ID:	245220   Click image for larger version

Views:	132
Size:	31.0 KB
ID:	245221  

Old 08-10-2015, 09:57 PM   #172
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
And, more.

1. Pt. Orchard looking south from the harbor at the public market, a bar, houses on a hill.

2. Pt. Orchard harbor, looking across to Bremerton.

3. More harbor. A lot of the marina is covered with large sheds like giant pole barns. I guess they don't like water to fall on their boats.

4. Ken and Sue's giant trailer. The angle makes it look like you could never get the trailer out, but you can. I suggested they get their road closed by the town so they could park on it instead, but that is not a really good solution. A smaller trailer would feel cramped after the luxe amenities of their trailer. Beautiful wood dinette table, valences on the shades, wood (not real wood) floors, Corian countertops, full size fridge, all the Classic features—that would be hard to give up.

Gene
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	138
Size:	69.3 KB
ID:	245222   Click image for larger version

Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	245223  

Views:	138
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	245224   Click image for larger version

Views:	171
Size:	100.7 KB
ID:	245225  

Old 08-11-2015, 07:51 PM   #173
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Just for you.

Hi, Bob meets Bob and Dusty Boo-Boo.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC09577.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	335.0 KB
ID:	245283   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC09581crop.jpg
Size:	274.8 KB
ID:	245284  

YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 08-12-2015, 11:09 AM   #174
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Bob, Bob looks just like I thought he would (so does Dusty, in fact, they look alike). Two guys with beards—neither of you would get into Canada. Oh, I have a beard too—tomorrow they can kick me out, but if I give them your name, maybe they let me in.

Today we are in Sequim, Wash. We selected this campground because it is midway between Pt. Angeles (where we get the ferry) and Pt. Townshend, an historic town we want to see. We've been here three times over the years and never gave ourselves a chance to see Pt. Townshend. It is surely a tourism town with lots of shoppes, but maybe I can direct Barb towards the historic sites instead (sometimes that works!).

Yesterday after our mandatory nap, we went to see Dungeness Spit. I understand spit is something dentists are concerned about, but this is a different kind. This is part of a wildlife refuge and is a sand bar extending out 5.5 miles into the Strait of San Juan de Fuca (how you pronounce it is up to you). You are advised to not hike it during high tide. At the rate I would walk 11 miles, there would be several high tides during my walk (or swim). Instead of drowning, we decided to find an overlook and discovered one by driving through Squim (locals pronounce it "Squim") to the Strait. It may have been a park that required money, but we plead ignorance. We could barely see the "New Lighthouse" (it was new 150 years ago), so I took out my 500 mm. lens and then we could see it clearly. A lighthouse and several out buildings barely above the water.

Even with image stabilization, holding a 500 mm. lens and not shaking it is difficult. The photo came out fairly well, but I need more practice with this.

Gene

Old 08-12-2015, 11:29 AM   #175
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Best to download photos in a separate post as one can't trust CG wifi.

1. Hood Canal Bridge, the longest floating bridge somewhere. It is over a mile long and has a lift bridge for navy ships. The Hood Canal dead ends eventually, so I guess they use it for training.

2. "New Lighthouse" on Dungeness Spit, miles and miles away. The Spit is 5.5 miles, but turns from north to east and was probably 3 miles from where we were. The blur in the upper left is apparently a bird or a bug on the lens. Everyone we know in Gig Harbor and Pt. Orchard says to see the Spit. A 5.5 mile long sand bar (biggest anywhere in salt water I think) is impressive. It seems so low, I imagine it is not a good place to be in a storm.

3. Pilings out about 100 yards from us. Looked like a dock was once there with some sort of larger area at the end. Birds love to stand on the pilings, apparently looking for fish.

4. Crammed in at Rainbo CG. It actually looks like there's more space here than there is. Late last night a Class A parked next to us and is about 5' away. Had to park our truck about 50' away. Since we never remember everything we keep in the truck, I made quite a few trips back and forth to the truck yesterday. "Exercise is good" I kept telling myself. Wifi works fairly well, but can be really slow, then fast, then slow. Lots of TV channels, some with snow at no extra charge.

Gene
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	153
Size:	38.4 KB
ID:	245310   Click image for larger version

Views:	147
Size:	24.1 KB
ID:	245311  

Views:	131
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	245312   Click image for larger version

Views:	123
Size:	78.4 KB
ID:	245313  

Old 08-12-2015, 12:50 PM   #176
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Canada
Interesting posts Gene. When using that 500mm lens try using a mono-pole it will help a lot. As far as you having lots of TV candles, enjoy them now as that will not be the case one your into Canada. also we charge for snow, so enjoy that also......

Cheers
Doug
Old 08-12-2015, 01:13 PM   #177
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, Gene; We stayed in Gig Harbor a few times. I think there is only one place. If so, we camped at the same place as you did. Or you camped at the same place as we did. We drove through, and spent a little time, in Sea-Quim too. [Sequim] They say Skwim, but I told them if they want me to say that way, they need to spell it correctly.

If you give the Canadians my name, you will get in for sure; In jail that is. When you get to Port Angeles, Look up Smartstream, Dan and Irene. They have room for several Airstreams with partial hook ups too. Dan has enough motorized vehicles to keep you occupied for days.

I don't get it; They let that idiot Bieber in this country, but won't let a nice guy like me in their country without mental abuse and harassment. What the hey?????

Oh, and Bob told me a sob story about you. Or was it a Sabb story? Either way it was sad.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 08-12-2015, 01:45 PM   #178
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Looks a lot like Vancouver Island!

Looking forward to your Canadian photos and experiences too!
Old 08-12-2015, 02:01 PM   #179
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post

I don't get it; They let that idiot Bieber in this country, but won't let a nice guy like me in their country without mental abuse and harassment. What the hey?????

You get the mental abuse and harassment because Bieber has tried a couple times to get back in with a disguise. Someone said it had something to do with an old fart with an airstream..... sorry could not resist.....

By the way, we sent Bieber down to you guys.... You can keep him. Last time I heard they were wondering is they will ever let him back in. Mind you he sort of blends in with a few other wing-bolts you folks are housing.....lol
Old 08-12-2015, 03:33 PM   #180
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Gene,

It was fun spending the afternoon with you guys.

You should have taken us along as tour guides. As far as I know, the "New" in New Dungeness, is just like the New in New York or New Jersey. It is in deference to Dungeness on England's southeastern coast. My grandfather was the Keeper at New Dungeness lighthouse for several years when my dad was young. Several years ago the local light house society wanted to do a video interview with my dad at the lighthouse. Susan, my parents, my daughter and I met the light house people in Sequim. They drove all of us in a big 4x4 SUV to the lighthouse via the beach. After the Lighthouse ,we took a tour of my dad's grade school. Its now a museum.

The Navy wants to go down Hood Canal because a major Trident submarine base (Bangor) is down the canal several miles from the bridge. I have never observed it, but I understand it is quite a production when they open the bridge for a Submarine. There are many Navy/Coast Guard boats escorting the Submarine.

Ken

P.S the rain you brought us is arriving in short light spurts. I don't think you had it properly secured on your truck.
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote