Old 05-26-2015, 08:26 PM   #113
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
I checked all sorts of reviews on faucets and Delta seems to be one of the best. It used to be they made cheap faucets that gave everyone trouble, but about 10 years ago they decided to go upscale. Moen seems to be going the other way. Delta also has a very good warranty. So, Bob, we bought 2 for the kitchen last evening and they look easier to install than any faucet I've seen (I may not even need my basin wrench, a tool I got along without for years until Barb convinced me I needed one—she's a perfect wife). Hopefully it works better than yours and your new one does too.

Ken, we'll be in your neighborhood too and I'm be wondering how you parked your Airstream at your new place. I seem to recall it is blue.

And Fly's boss (Fly' being the Airstream), I know no one with a Porsche and freedom is not another word for nothing to do, but my optometrist (and friend) was once Janis' sister-in-law.

Raining here again. The Colorado River has gone from looking pretty sad a couple of weeks ago to normal, muddier than usual and swift. It has a long way to go to equal last year when it was bank full or a little higher. Rain possible through the weekend. The forecasters are always wrong here. If we are in a dry period, they predict rain and it never comes; vice versa for a wet period. They don't seem to notice that. We have dry periods of a month or two and then a few days or maybe a few more of showers. Rare to have a steady rain all day, not so rare to have nothing for weeks or sometimes months. But this much wet weather for a month or so is weird. Where are the Colorado blue skies? It has also been cool. Early spring and late winter was warm and dry. I feel like the seasons are going too fast and it may be winter next week and spring in August.

Gas up the truck tomorrow, pack it, hitch it, start fridge. Clothes already packed, bed made, floor washed. TPMS not working properly, have to reprogram it. Thursday pack all food and other stuff. Be ready to leave promptly at 2 Friday to beat the bike racers down the road.

Gene

Old 05-26-2015, 10:15 PM   #114
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
-------------------------------------------------

Ken, we'll be in your neighborhood too and I'm be wondering how you parked your Airstream at your new place. I seem to recall it is blue.

Gene
We won't know until we get here with it. However we think we can get it in the driveway to load and get ready for, and clean up after trips. However, we have reserved a storage place for in between. That's basically what we did in Colorado.

Make sure you make time to stop by. Then you'll understand how it can be hard to find a place to park a 31 foot trailer on an acre of property.

Ken

Old 05-27-2015, 07:05 AM   #115
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
I've got 18 acres, but it isn't flat and only the top of the driveway is usable for a trailer. Our previous house had a lot of flat area and even then backing up was difficult when I was tired. And the parking area right in front of the house was way off camber, so unloading there meant walking on an angle, but if we parked it where it usually sat, it was a 150' walk each way and seven steps up to the house each time. Coming home and unloading the fridge—food is heavy!—and then everything else because, "we're home, let's get it done and then rest" was what we did no matter how tired we were. Here, we can park it right next to the house, but maneuvering it in the area right in front of the garage and parking spot are a challenge (a broken taillight resulted last time). Few people build houses with travel trailers in mind.

My latest solution to unpacking is to just leave it in front of the garage when we get home and park it properly the next day when I am alert. To unload, open garage door and bring the stuff in—no off camber grade, no steps, only 30' to the kitchen.

40% chance of rain today and tomorrow, but supposed to be sunny for the Ouray long weekend. Since we are in a rainy period, I take 40% to be 80%. I lived in Colorado for 30 years before I even owned a raincoat, now I bring it with me everywhere.

Gene
Old 05-28-2015, 03:54 PM   #116
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
The rig is pretty much packed and we should have only a few things tomorrow and get underway in the early afternoon. We used to have to walk 300' (round trip) to the trailer each time we took a load plus seven steps; having it next to the garage is wonderful. I'd walk a mile or more every time we loaded the trailer.

I was working on the TPMS system because I couldn't get it to work. I would think I did, then come back to check, and no signal from the sensors. Finally I figured out what the manual said and I hope I've figured it out. I don't know if I have trouble with electronics because I'm too old or the manuals make little sense. Oh to be 9 and understand these things.

But when I was fooling with the sensors I kept hearing clicks and they seemed to be coming from the brakes. I pulled out the break away gizmo that locks the brakes when the trailer separates from the truck and put it back and the clicking stopped. Apparently it had come slightly loose and was trying to lock the brakes without success. Another thing to keep an eye on.

We went to the assessor's office yesterday to protest our valuation going up 31%. I think I found a number of errors in their reasoning, but I don't think they will do anything. Looks like an appeal will be necessary. The appraiser kept interrupting me and that was frustrating because when you interrupt someone in the middle of what they are saying, you can't be listening. We ended up talking to the assessor himself. Everyone I asked has had their values go up 25-47% in a county that has not recovered from the Great Recession. At least I got to play lawyer, but that is not really a thrill unless I win.

More storms coming and maybe we'll get some rain. Grand Jct. is 1 1/2" over normal for this time in the year and in the past month, about 2" of rain when we should have 1/2". We're supposed to have sunny weather for the trip to Ouray, but I doubt it. Raincoat will be packed.

Gene
Old 05-28-2015, 05:03 PM   #117
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Have a good trip, Gene.

We drove thru Ouray when in Colorado a few years ago. A beautiful spot, and a beautiful drive in, as I recall.

Travel safe,

Maggie
Old 06-03-2015, 11:44 AM   #118
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Thanks Maggie. Your trip down US 550 would be a bit easier with an Interstate.

And we are back, truck mostly unloaded, trailer too. All the undone things on the trailer (rust removal, washing, blah, blah) prey or pray on me (either seems to fit) so I made a list. Every day I will look at the list until I can't stand it anymore.

Another somewhat restful interlude. We met our friend from Denver at the Ouray KOA. I always tell them to put him near us and they always put him far away. This large CG was very empty and that was very nice. We figured all the rain kept people from traveling, but we were told the weekend after Memorial Day is like that. We'll keep that in mind for the future.

Our friend tented for two nights and then went on to Utah while we slept late, and took naps. A good dinner at the Bon Ton in Ouray—a restaurant we've been going to for well over 20 years. Sometimes it is very good, sometimes less, a lot less. We checked TripAdvisor is this is a good year. I rate it a B. The consistent thing is that the prices keep going up there. And two breakfasts at Kate's in Ridgway—another B. The huevos rancheros were a but weird but good; not authentic Mexican though. Another B. Like Michelin, I don't give out too many A's.

Several hours at Orvis Hot Springs complemented the napping. There's no place like a clothing optional hot springs to see clearly just how large Americans have become.

No rain! It feels strange. Yes, a few short showers, but very short and late at night. Pleasant temps and clear skies. No longer living and visiting a rain forest. I posted photos of Ouray and the CG on previous Road Trips threads, so no need to do so again.

I have struggled with the TPMS, re-programming it over and over again. It works briefly, then tells me the sensors aren't working. I've changed the batteries, gone through the booklet trying every way to do it, and tightened and loosening the sensors, but same results. I dread calling Tire Minder and being told to do the same things I've done already until they tell me the secret formula when all else fails (I hope there's a secret formula).

One other fix was necessary. The 120 v. receptacle at the end of the kitchen peninsula came loose. There's a box inside to keep water from the sink off it (though there's no such protection on the outside where water often drips down between the peninsula and the countertop extension that lifts up for a bot more horizontal space next to the sink). The receptacle has two screws that connect to plastic thingies that hold it against the plywood—this is what is called an "old work" box by electricians where you install a box in an already built home and can't nail it to a stud. One plastic thingie broke off, but when I took the cover off inside the cabinet, there was an intact one where someone had lost it off the screw and replaced it with another one—the one that broke. So it was an easy fix and I didn't have to buy anything. The one that broke was probably screwed too tight and the bouncing of the trailer caused it to eventually fail. Not too bad after 51,000 miles. Better "thingies" are made of metal, not plastic, but they all seem to be plastic these days.

The rest of the month is looking at the trailer list, working on the house, planning the northwest trip, thinking about a July trip (maybe just several days on Grand Mesa, or maybe that and going to the rez), and welcoming visitors—so far two friends from Denver this Friday, in-laws in a few weeks and two other friends from Denver at the end of the month. We love to have guests—it is great to see friends (and in-laws are like friends to me) and I get a chance to do nothing (that's what a host does—talk to the visitors) while Barb slaves away in the kitchen. The second two friends are a lawyer and an artist/counselor, so there's less slaving away for her and I just follow the three powerful women around doing what I'm told. This has made me realize that my fantasy of having three wives is stupid—I'd be outnumbered, outsmarted and I'd have three women telling me what to do.

So, summer is here. Blue sky, temps in the 70's and 80's, outside work to do, two short trips already and the rivers running around bank full in places, but no sign of much more runoff, though possibly an extended mild one. I've discovered painting the exterior of the house is a lot harder than the inside. More ladders, weather to watch, bugs landing in the fresh paint, keeping the paint out of the sun and off the driveway and both of us available at the same time. Some will have to be done by a real painter. And paint has gotten much more expensive—seems like it has doubled in price. I want the best paint I can find so I never have to do this again. The most expensive paint is not always the best too.

As always writing is easier than working. Time to stop writing (soon).

Gene
Old 06-03-2015, 12:48 PM   #119

Gene,

Where is the TPMS display mounted in your truck?

Ken
Old 06-03-2015, 02:25 PM   #120
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
On the windshield left side. It worked there before, but not now except for a while right after I reprogram it. They say to reprogram it while holding it near the tire, but it should have the range (it always did before) to do it in the truck. I may be getting a reading at the tires only and not knowing whether there was contact between it and sensors. The battery in the monitor is rechargeable and lasts for weeks and weeks between charges. But I suppose it could be getting too weak and maybe I should look at it.

So, Ken, maybe you figured it out, or pointed me in the right direction.

I have been wondering whether I really need it. If I had Marathons, yes, but the Michelins only problem is aging (like me). Otherwise they have been fault free.

Gene
Old 06-03-2015, 02:25 PM   #121
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Sherwin Williams Super Paint or A-100. Wash exterior with Jomax cleaner before and after prep. What my pro painters used.

Did our last house here six years ago. Roll and brush. Drove past other day and still looks new. I put on two coats.

The higher priced stuff has an advantage, but single coat coverage doesn't look as good, IMO.

Spend the money on best brushes and rollers. And a Dripless brand caulk gun.
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 02:28 PM   #122
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag&Au View Post
Gene,

Ken

And both you philosophers are needed on the Travel Map Dilemma thread. Ageless wisdom and all that.
Old 06-03-2015, 02:56 PM   #123

Gene,

My reason for a TPMS is road hazards. A nail or screw, for instance, can cause a leak on a tandem axle trailer that you easily may not notice until it finally disintegrates. It sounds to me like the receiver in the monitor has lost sensitivity and needs to be repaired or replaced. That's why I prefer Hawks Head over the tire Minder. The support seems to be much better.

Ken
Old 06-04-2015, 12:03 AM   #124
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, get rid of that tire monitor; Have you had any tire problems with your Michelins? I still run Marathons and, in the past, they have started to go bad, but caught and replaced every time. I'm going to buy a new tire for my spare since it is over ten years old and never been on the ground.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 11:05 AM   #125
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Paint: we started with one brand of Valspar, rated very good by reviewers, then Lowe's (which sells Valspar as a house brand, but Valspar has been around forever, so I don't get that), changed the Valspar line and the comparable paint costs more. We'll probably stick with that anyway.

We painted one garage wall last winter when it was unseasonably warm, just over 50˚. Put two coats on and it looks great. When we got new garage doors during an unseasonably warm spring, we got one coat on that side, then weather changed. One coat looked great too, but we'll put on another.

We decided to paint the exterior two days a week to get it done this year, but then the forecast changed to thunder, rain, etc., for the next 5 or 6 days. We are painting because we don't like the color the previous owner painted it, but the advantage is no scraping because the 11-year-old paint is still good.

I didn't do anything with the TPMS and just found the travel map thread where my first impression (1 post) was we have an anal retentive in the room. Ospho remains unopened, but more wood (1x4, moldings, panels) has been sanded and one coat of urethane. New kitchen faucets need installing. Days fly by and efficiency seems compromised. To fill my spare time, I think I'll run for president.

Gene
Old 06-05-2015, 11:52 PM   #126
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
That's what made the subject potentially so funny.