Old 05-24-2015, 04:13 PM   #99
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Time for more photos. I've been busy working on the protest of our property tax values—up 31%!? I couldn't afford to hire me to do the work I have done on this. I've learned more than I ever wanted to know about this including reading part of the manual government appraisers use, reading statutes, case law and analyzing property sales. This is not enjoyable.

It has been raining every day for weeks and we desert dwellers are getting very weird about it. Sure, we know we need the water, but every day? It also means I haven't been able to treat the rust.

Gene

Photos:

1. View from Snow Canyon SP Campground.

2. Yucca blooming. The flower stalk can be ten feet high and grows very., very fast.

3. Prickly pear blooming. The colors I have seen are yellows and reds.

4. Friend Steve holds up rock so Barb can stand up.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Utah 1.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	239122   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	92.0 KB
ID:	239123  

Name:	3.jpg
Size:	102.1 KB
ID:	239124   Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	239125  

Old 05-24-2015, 04:44 PM   #100
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
So now we have to load up and go to Ouray on Friday. Four more nights of lots of sleep. We'll meet a friend there and laugh a lot. Hot springs to soak in. Restaurants, some very good, to enjoy. Reading to catch up on. No TV to distract. I started planning the northwest trip, but then I saw the property tax thing and have been working on that. I may have to retire from retirement so I have more time.

I also have been preparing wood for more remodeling—sanding, urethane, sand, urethane…. I bought a new can of polyurethane and it was supposed to be "satin", but it seems like semi-gloss. I can disperse the 16 panels that are too shiny—cutting them up so they go under windows where something is in front of them—but now I'm not sure if I have to go to another store where they would have a different batch.

We've begun researching more kitchen work. We looked at granite tile, but I'd have to make my own bullnose. Then we thought of either porcelain that's polished or has a matte finish. You can get bullnose for that which will save time. Porcelain is as strong as granite, maybe stronger, needs no maintenance, costs less and has many more styles. Then we may replace the cooktop switching electric for gas. The one we have a high end Thermador electric with digital controls I dislike. And the glass top breaks easily when you move it, so taking it out to put in tile might mean it breaks. Better to do it all at once and be prepared. We prefer gas anyway. A fairly simple (we don't need fancy digital controls) cooktop plus running a gas line would be the same as a fancy gas cooktop. And some nicer faucets dress up a kitchen, plus subway tile backsplash. Might be able to replace 24' of countertop, 2 faucets and gas cooktop for a little over $2,000. It would make a big difference. By thinking this through, we may hit on some sales and save more. And the dreaming about it is quite a lot of fun. But the great room has to be finished and if it ever stops raining, the exterior is to be painted. And trailer trips and movies and music and seeing friends. Hard to keep up with myself. No surgery for a while….

Gene

And more photos:

1. View of campground from rocks we climbed.

2. View of the grey rocks that early settlers may have thought were snow. From same rocks we climbed.

3. Same place, different direction.

4. More flowers.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1.jpg
Size:	85.9 KB
ID:	239131   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	239132  

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	239133   Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	68.1 KB
ID:	239134  

Old 05-24-2015, 04:57 PM   #101
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Gene,

Ray Eklund is taking a group of us rockdocking July 13th, meeting in Quemado, NM.

I don't get the feeling rockdocking is your thing.....but maybe you could come by and say hello.

Maggie
Old 05-24-2015, 05:01 PM   #102
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Come by the meeting place in Quemado, not our remote campsite.

Great pictures.

Maggie
Old 05-24-2015, 11:29 PM   #103
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, great pictures; All of that work on your house is making me tired. I think [hope] that I'm done digging holes for plants in our yard. The rocks are killing me.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 04:42 AM   #104
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I keep wondering if he would work for food.

Could put he and Barb up in the nice county campground just north of my house, and he could knock out a couple of small improvements in the little house in juet a couple of days.

Nice that he, and they, have the skills to so beautifully individualize a home.

Maggie
Old 05-25-2015, 12:09 PM   #105
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
No matter how much you compliment us on our work, we have quite enough of our own and will not be appearing with tools to fix or dig anything, anywhere. Bob, if you want rocks, come to the Rocky Mountains and we have plenty to dig up. We will be going through Salem on our northwest trip and I will be glad to watch you dig and give advice. I know it will be in August, probably early, but that's all.

Years ago, in the days of tenting, we explored many remote and rocky places, driving over boulders and rebuilding Jeep trails that had washed out. It was fun and we're done. Now we are slothful relaxdockers eating chocolate and reading in our chairs, or napping in our Airstream.

But thanks for the invitation Maggie. I feel scared of a town named "Burned" (if I translate Quemado properly). I have no idea what July holds for us. We wanted to take a trip to the rez (Navajo), but really haven't planned anything.

There was nothing much to do when we lived near Crawford and once we tired of being übervolunteers, there was even less to do, so travel filled a lot of space. But we have far more to do here and fitting everything in is hard. Since we try to ignore aging, we refuse to acknowledge we are slower and more tired than we used to be. It is sort of like ignoring the fact you need stronger reading glasses until your arms get too short. So far I've accomplished nothing today and it is noon, but it is the anniversary of the day we met and were swept off our four feet (figuratively)—love at first sight, except as skeptics it took us a few days to realize it. Planning movie ("Slow West") and dinner out today—in the past 6 weeks we have Barb's mother's 90th birthday, our wedding anniversary, Barb's birthday and now 29 years together. Going to Ouray each year around this time is our birthday/anniversary trip. We'll also look at kitchen faucets to see if local sales are good enough. Seems the brands that were good 5 or 10 years ago are now bad and the bad ones have gotten good. Very confusing since I have made blood oaths not to buy Delta or Pfister faucets ever, but am now told they have reformed.

I may take photos of the trip into and out of town today (if it isn't raining again and again). We travel through sandstone country to go to Grand Jct., not as dramatic as some of Utah, but still quite cool.

Gene
Old 05-25-2015, 12:14 PM   #106
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
Ugh! to that regulatory angst and red tape.

Yes! to the beauty and colour in your travels.
Old 05-25-2015, 12:26 PM   #107
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
I just realized I have fewer posts than I did a few weeks ago. Before I hit 10,000, I was waiting for that momentous occasion and the gifts the Forum would give me for this dubious achievement of fulminating narcissism, but then they messed with me and I had about 80 more posts than I had before. I jumped way past 10,000.

I wondered if Tin Crumpet's vacations and the Airstream Town Hall thread had reappeared and I got all those posts back from the disappeared threads. But, they hadn't. It looks like they've now taken those posts away, but by now I've passed 10,000 once again without seeing it happen. That's like missing the odometer hit 123,456.

Did they mess with me so they wouldn't have to give me a new Porsche 911 Carrera S (red, please)? Ok, maybe the Porsche is a little bit much, but how about $5 per post? That's less than half the cost of the Porsche, what a deal!

Has anyone else noticed posts coming and going?

Gene
Old 05-25-2015, 01:27 PM   #108
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
A Song for Gene

Since all your friends drive Porsches, how about a Mercedes Benz?.....

Quote:
Has anyone else noticed posts coming and going?
Did it happen to my Sex in an Airstream thread too?
Old 05-25-2015, 06:40 PM   #109
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, I lost about 1,000 posts when Lili had her thread closed.

And be very careful if you buy Delta faucets. Our new house was made with all Deltas and, long story short, Delta sent to me another brand new kitchen faucet. The mixer valves are too touchy, making it very hard to get warm water instead of ice cold or scorching hot and nothing in-between. Our bathroom faucets are touchy but do-able. Our Kitchen faucet was impossible to adjust properly and I didn't want to wear 1/2" thick gloves to wash dishes.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 07:33 PM   #110
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
Well we have finally made arrangements to get the Airstream up to God's country. My sister is going to house sit and maintain order and discipline amongst the felines and avians while we drive down to what has apparently transformed into the dismal swamps of the front range. We will spend a day getting hooked up and then high tail it back here where it has been very nice and practically no precipitation at all. The rest of this week is supposed to be sunny, dry, and in the 70's. I was not expecting this weather at all. I find myself hoping it will rain a bit, so I known I'm really here.

Ken
Old 05-26-2015, 06:01 PM   #111
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Swing down this way thru Central and South Texas. The snakes swim well so pick up some shot rounds for your .410 as you hit the flooded areas.
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 06:11 PM   #112
3 Rivet Member

2015 16' Sport
Oakville , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
So now we have to load up and go to Ouray on Friday. Four more nights of lots of sleep. We'll meet a friend there and laugh a lot. Hot springs to soak in. Restaurants, some very good, to enjoy. Reading to catch up on. No TV to distract. I started planning the northwest trip, but then I saw the property tax thing and have been working on that. I may have to retire from retirement so I have more time.

I also have been preparing wood for more remodeling—sanding, urethane, sand, urethane…. I bought a new can of polyurethane and it was supposed to be "satin", but it seems like semi-gloss. I can disperse the 16 panels that are too shiny—cutting them up so they go under windows where something is in front of them—but now I'm not sure if I have to go to another store where they would have a different batch.

We've begun researching more kitchen work. We looked at granite tile, but I'd have to make my own bullnose. Then we thought of either porcelain that's polished or has a matte finish. You can get bullnose for that which will save time. Porcelain is as strong as granite, maybe stronger, needs no maintenance, costs less and has many more styles. Then we may replace the cooktop switching electric for gas. The one we have a high end Thermador electric with digital controls I dislike. And the glass top breaks easily when you move it, so taking it out to put in tile might mean it breaks. Better to do it all at once and be prepared. We prefer gas anyway. A fairly simple (we don't need fancy digital controls) cooktop plus running a gas line would be the same as a fancy gas cooktop. And some nicer faucets dress up a kitchen, plus subway tile backsplash. Might be able to replace 24' of countertop, 2 faucets and gas cooktop for a little over $2,000. It would make a big difference. By thinking this through, we may hit on some sales and save more. And the dreaming about it is quite a lot of fun. But the great room has to be finished and if it ever stops raining, the exterior is to be painted. And trailer trips and movies and music and seeing friends. Hard to keep up with myself. No surgery for a while….

Gene

And more photos:

1. View of campground from rocks we climbed.

2. View of the grey rocks that early settlers may have thought were snow. From same rocks we climbed.

3. Same place, different direction.

4. More flowers.
inspiring pictures,

property taxes want to inspire me to "full time"