Old 09-07-2016, 08:21 PM   #589

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Great pictures, Gene. We especially like the theater in Rock Island.

Brian

WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2011 Silverado 3500 (Fred) with Outfitter Truck Camper (Ethel)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 08:36 PM   #590
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
A short day from Rock Island. It only took about 15 minutes to loosen, reposition and re-tighten the brackets for the hitch this morning. We rushed breaking down camp because thunderstorms were possibly coming with heavy rain. A few drops now and then, but we beat the rain and started south along the east bank towards Quincy, Ill.

The river road is not always well marked in Ill., but many county roads are not marked at all. The map gives you a county road number, but the county neglects putting up signs. We only got lost a few times. Some of the towns looked left behind for decades or longer. We only had to go about 150 miles and stopped in Nauvoo, Ill., to look at the scene of religious and cultural conflict in the 1830's. The Utah Mormon church has bought up areas of the town they founded and have made a somewhat idealistic recreation of the long ago Nauvoo. A splinter Mormon group seems to have possession of some other properties including the house of the religion's founder. The present day town, located above the floodplain, is more real looking and benefiting from the tourists who come here, many on a pilgrimage. There is a recreated enormous temple built here in the 1830's and burned down three years later. The 6,000 Mormons who settled here were chased out by other settlers and the state militia.

It all looks idealized, sort of like a religious Williamsburg, although even more sanitized. Barb was looking for a post office, but the building that said "post office" was not a real one. Two women inside, dressed in early 19th century garb, seemed desperate to talk to someone (it was really quiet there) and started telling her how people wrote letters in those days (not enough paper, they wrote in two directions on the same page). All she wanted were some stamps.

It was 93˚ outside and humid when we ate lunch in the trailer. It was probably hotter inside. We were glad to leave and not just because we could turn up the A/C in the truck. There are a lot of restored pioneer villages throughout America. Some are more elaborate, but none are cleaner and more organized than this one. Few of them seem real to me. House tours show sterile places and these homes represent the upper class, not most people. I taught history many years ago and know it wasn't like this. Real life was rougher in those days, sanitation was poor, disease was common, alcoholism was common and drinking water in cities was unsafe. Even idealistic communities (and the early 19th century had a number of them) had their problems.

Quincy, Ill., seemed like a good place to stop. Only 18 miles from Hannibal, Mo. The Mark Twain hometown is a tourist mecca and we'll see what it has. Quincy has a historic downtown to see on the way. We'll stay at the Driftwood CG for two nights. We've slowed down a lot, but after this stop we started south to St. Louis and then speed up, see in-laws and go home. It won't be as fast as our trip east.

There were some short stretches along the river today. It looks enormous. Mostly, however, we rode through corn and soybean fields and more forest than I imagined in flat Illinois. My mental picture of the midwest is plains, formerly of thick grass planted in crops. There are far more trees along our route than we see when we cross the country on I-70. After a day of waiting for rain, about 15 minutes after we got set in our campsite, it started pouring. That went on for a while, but stopped. Lightning to the north happened later, but no more rain. Flood warnings are up in some places, but hopefully not here. It is supposed to rain a lot for the next several days here. Traveling in the rain is always a challenge.

Too late for more photos.

Gene

Old 09-07-2016, 08:52 PM   #591
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags View Post
Great pictures, Gene. We especially like the theater in Rock Island.

Brian
Every time we pass a theater I think of you, but we are usually just trying to get through town. There are enough cool looking theaters to do a book of them. I once contemplated a book of courthouse photos. The variety says a lot about how our communities view local government and themselves. There are around 3,000 counties in the US, it would be a very big book.

Somewhere in northern Minnesota we passed a lake (you pass a lake in Minnesota every few minutes it seems) and I thought I saw something big and dark colored on one side. Then the trees obscured my view. It could have been a moose.

Gene
Old 09-08-2016, 08:39 AM   #592
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Weatherford , Texas
I stayed at the Mark Twain Cave campground at Hannibal in July, and it was a good place. The cave tour is right there, and there's a tram that will take you to the tourist spots downtown.
Old 09-08-2016, 06:25 PM   #593
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
We had thought of the cave CG (after all, it would have meant we stayed at two CG's with caves on this trip, something we have never done before, even though we didn't look at the caves), but wanted to stay in Quincy two nights, see the historic buildings here, and then check out Hannibal. So the cave was first our first choice, then second our second choice.

So this morning, after a night of thunderstorms and some heavy rain, we went into Quincy for breakfast. I have learned, no matter how much I crave Huevos Rancheros, not to order it this far from the southwest. We stopped next to the town square and had a good breakfast at Thyme Square. Quincy looks like a once prosperous town that is surviving better than some along the river. The home historic district has some very nice architecture with some unusual features. downtown. We drove around for quite a while looking at the scores and scores of mansions, big houses, smaller, but substantial houses, and examples of housing architecture ranging from the early 1800's up to the 1930's. Many are in excellent condition. We noted that there is not a lot of stained glass in the Victorian Homes.

It is only about 17 miles to Hannibal, scene of the Mark Twain/Samuel Clements cult (phrasing that would probably please Clemens). I never read the books everyone else apparently has, so I don't know much about whitewashing fences, children causing trouble or the various characters in the books. As a result, this did not mean much to me except as an another example of old buildings and another river town. Except for the cult area downtown, Hannibal, or what we saw of it, did not look prosperous. There's the Clemens house, a museum, numerous tourist things named after Mark Twain, restaurants with a Twain connection and then more Mark Twain stuff. This seems to be the only industry Hannibal has. There are no direct descendants, so no one can protect the name from being used commercially.

It has been a little less hot today, but still very humid with rain threatening all day. Clouds are low, colors are dull and I start to want to be back in the desert. We'll be home in less than a week to dry out. But tomorrow we drive toward St. Louis and take one or two ferries. Maybe the one at Grafton, Ill. across the Mississippi, and certainly one across the Illinois River because there is no bridge on Highway 100.

What does "Mark Twain" mean? On riverboats, someone with a rope with a stone weight on the end would test the river depth. They were marked for each fathom (6'). The someone would announced how many fathoms by saying "mark [number of fathoms]. Two fathoms was "mark twain". "Twain" must have been a river boat patois for "two". Clemens was a river pilot for a very short time.

Gene
Old 09-08-2016, 06:29 PM   #594
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
My most embarrassing breakfast moment was ordering 'sourdough' toast at a diner in New Jersey. They had no idea what I was talking about.

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed crewcab 4x4 Toyota Taco TV with more antennae on it
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 06:32 PM   #595
Rivet Master

Corona , California
Road Trips

The actual call was, " by the mark. Twain". The traditional leadline has a lead weight on the bottom with a pocket for grease to get a sample of the bottom. Believe it or not, the most modern Navy ships today still put a Leadsman on the bow to check water depth. And they still use the traditional calls.

Old 09-08-2016, 06:57 PM   #596
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Photos:

1, 2. Keithsburg, Ill., is a river town that doesn't look well downtown. The only businesses that seem to remain open in some towns is the bar, a minimalist restaurant (maybe the bar), a gas station sometimes and perhaps a small store (maybe the gas station too).

3, 4. Two brick buildings in the long ago Mormon settlement of Nauvoo. They look new. If they build a replica settlement it will have to have housing for 6,000 people. There's a long way to go.

Gene
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	341.4 KB
ID:	271248   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	311.3 KB
ID:	271249  

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	393.9 KB
ID:	271250   Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Size:	441.2 KB
ID:	271251  

Old 09-08-2016, 07:17 PM   #597
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
The actual call was, " by the mark. Twain". The traditional leadline has a lead weight on the bottom with a pocket for grease to get a sample of the bottom. Believe it or not, the most modern Navy ships today still put a Leadsman on the bow to check water depth. And they still use the traditional calls.

I was close and learned something. Thanks for the correction.

My Verizon system is really slow here even though we are close to a city. Must be the bluff behind us is in the way. Photos take a lonnnnnng time to upload.

Photos:

1. In less than 10 years in Nauvoo, many accomplishments and enemies were made. The enormous temple was built and after the Mormons moved to Utah, the temple, only three years old, was burned down. The Utah church has built a replica.

2. On the way to Quincy, the river gets bigger and bigger.

3. On Hampshire St. in downtown Quincy the left side of this building is either old Art Deco style from the early part of the century, or the whole building is new in that style.

4. Just down the street, across from the town square (Washington Park is the name) is this otherwise older block with one modern building and the Washington Theater which appears to now be part of the performing arts depot at a local university.

Gene
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	23
Size:	178.4 KB
ID:	271256   Click image for larger version

Size:	328.2 KB
ID:	271257  

Size:	215.0 KB
ID:	271258   Click image for larger version

Size:	221.7 KB
ID:	271259  

Old 09-08-2016, 07:42 PM   #598
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
More photos:

1. There are many, many houses in Quincy that look special. Just a few: The curve in the brick corners is also in the shingles on the third floor and in the two fireplace chimneys. The brick has some subtle designs and the curves above and below the third floor window also is a rare find.

2. The "eyebrow" over the front entry is very large and filled with a complex classical design which is also used above. A really big corner house with a big porch.

3. A very different style, maybe from the 1920-30's or after, a very modernist house with a curved wall near the front door and a curved entry roof over the door to relieve some of the stark rectangularity. the yellow screen door is a definite obscenity. Most houses are older in the historic district and one looked like a very old farmhouse from when this area was farmland.

4. There are too many houses with unique design to post. But this curb is also an interesting detail. The stone curb is two or three times higher than usual, but perfect for getting in a carriage. Down the block are some posts to tie the horse to. This is a residential boulevard with brick pavement.

Gene
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	19
Size:	585.0 KB
ID:	271262   Click image for larger version

Size:	364.7 KB
ID:	271263  

Size:	541.6 KB
ID:	271264   Click image for larger version

Size:	440.7 KB
ID:	271265  

Old 09-08-2016, 07:42 PM   #599
Rivet Master

Corona , California
Road Trips

Throwing a leadline is interesting, because the Leadsman swings the weight in a circle and lets go so it will hit the water a good distance ahead of the ship, then he pulls the line in until it stands dead vertical, then makes the call. The traditional leadline is small stuff (rope) marked with a series of leather strips, knots, colored rag tags, and other stuff to indicate depth in a traditional manner.

Probably on Wikipedia somewhere.

Edit: yup, Google for it. It's quite interesting if you are into traditional nautical stuff.

My knowledge comes from the Bluejacket's Manual circa 1967, and my dad's old Marlinspike Seamanship books dating back to 1944 or so, when he was in the Merchant Marine Academy at King's Point. Yes, the school is still there.

I'm the only one in my family today that knows how to splice eyes, ends, and other rope joining tricks.

Old 09-08-2016, 08:05 PM   #600
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
And, more:

1. Clemens' childhood home with the fence that was the subject of a Tom Sawyer story. I think I saw a photo of Clemens in front of the house around 1900 and there was no fence there then. Fake fenceóthe borderline between fiction and reality here does get blurred. The wall in the background protected the house from the lumberyard on the other sideóI guess fires at lumberyards (maybe there was a sawmill too) were common.

2. Across Hill St. was Clemens' father's law office. He was also justice of the peace, neither job bringing him very much money it appears. He died young, when Clemens was 11. The building on the left was a drug store assembled from a kit in the 1830's. It is a Greek Revival building, a style popular after the revolution in important buildings. Apparently this was an important early building in Hannibal. The fluted columns are not actual columns, but decoration on the building surface and called "pilasters".

3. The front of the same building. The sagging indicates serious deterioration and the building is closed until they can raise enough money to repair it. It may originally have been two stores. One set of doors (at least) has been replaced and not very accurately.

4. When Clemens went outside, walked up Hill St. several feet, turned around and looked east, he saw the river. The buildings down on Main St. were already there and the parking lot on the left was probably not there.

Gene
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	18
Size:	290.6 KB
ID:	271268   Click image for larger version

Size:	284.5 KB
ID:	271269  

Size:	275.2 KB
ID:	271270   Click image for larger version

Size:	333.8 KB
ID:	271271  

Old 09-08-2016, 08:19 PM   #601
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Last photos tonight:

1. Downtown Hannibal, an especially colorful block. The main street (called Main Street) is mildly busy for about three blocks with tourist shops. I expect the season is short, mostly when children are out of school. I wonder if people still read Clemens' books as much as they used to and whether mostly people our age are those who visit here.

2. Looking upstream at Hannibal. The uninspiring bridge is I-72.

Gene
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	92
Size:	255.7 KB
ID:	271272   Click image for larger version

Views:	96
Size:	141.8 KB
ID:	271273  

Old 09-09-2016, 08:07 AM   #602
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Weatherford , Texas
Mark Twain wrote good reading. He was probably the most famous humorist of his day--still incredibly funny in places. Worth a look if you're a reader.