Old 03-14-2015, 10:25 AM   #43
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
I think there is a keystroke that loses posts, but I have no idea what it is. Being a sloppy, 2 fingered typer, I probably do it to myself. Sometimes I save a long post on the laptop so if it disappears, I still have most of it. But maybe it is a good thing. The 2nd time I do it, the post is shorter and probably more interesting.

Open floor plans are not for everyone. We like the feeling of open space. The person(s) in the kitchen is(are) not set apart from the person(s) in the rest of the living space. More communication and shared experience. Our floor plan is not perfect, but it works well enough and with the views, close to town and far away in feeling, basement walk out with shop and main floor master bedroom, we are doing pretty good. It seems every other house nearby is valued much more than ours and that is good for eventual sale (opposite of what we had in Crawford where we had the most expensive house).

Gene

Old 03-16-2015, 10:45 AM   #44
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Our weekend marathon was a success. We finished the last big wall in the master bedroom—paneled, electrified, 2 lamps installed, moldings in place, and a Navajo rug overhead. Sunday was a 10 hour day—the longest work day in years and we made it through without injury or total exhaustion. Who says we're old? There's a short wall that needs moldings and a built in bookcase—that is next plus preparation for the basement hallway (moldings, beadboard wainscotting) and paint on the stairs. And we have a light fixture we were going to put in a basement room, but decided to put in a main floor hallway. Maybe we'll paint some more outside and maybe more and more and more….

Less than 2 months to traveling via trailer—looks like we are going to St. George, Utah, to visit friends first.

Gene

Old 04-14-2015, 04:36 PM   #45
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
We've been on overdrive finishing up a bunch of projects on the house. The basement hallway is done except for painting some doors, paneling in the great room has begun and a section that feels like an extension of the kitchen has been painted and moldings are done. We leave for a week in Utah in early May. We'll go to Escalante for a few nights and stay at the Airstream CG there. It closed last year and was bought any new people, so we'll try it out. We haven't had time to get the trailer ready, but we will when we get back this coming weekend after visiting my in-laws for a few days—it is my mother-in-law's 90th birthday. She may be my mother-in-law, but is as nice a person as you can meet. I think she is in better shape than I am. I wish I had her genes.

We've settled on August for our northwest trip, but beyond that haven't figured out a route. I discovered a round trip on the ferry to Vancouver Is. will be more than $400. I'll bet that reduces tourism there.

And my iPad battery was dying and I sent it to Apple for a new battery. This has not been easy and I have spent a couple of hours on the phone trying to get it back before we leave tomorrow, especially since rain or snow may happen and I don't want a package sitting outside. Apple may make great products, but otherwise they have become too large to know what they are doing. An iPad is glued together and for me to replace the battery would be foolish—they want you to buy another one, but they will replace the battery for $99 plus shipping. Cheaper than a new one. Makes me want to buy another brand of tablet.

Gene
Old 04-14-2015, 05:37 PM   #46
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
If you have an Apple store near you, can they handle things like changing batteries? Sounds like a PIA.

Travel sounds like a good break from all the work on the house.....you and your wife must be ready for a little R&R.

Enjoy.

Maggie
Old 04-14-2015, 07:57 PM   #47
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Maggie, yes we do need to travel and yes we are exhausted, but the work is worth it as we make the house our own.

After another 40 minute phone call to Apple, I found out that because my iPad was engraved (it was a free offer when I bought it) and they had replaced the back of the case as an "exception" because I had so much trouble getting this done, they had to ship it to China for engraving. If I had known that, I would have said "don't engrave it; just send it back!" It may come this weekend. The person who told me it had shipped didn't know it had been shipped to China, just that it had been shipped. I also spent 25 minutes talking to UPS trying to find it. I asked if it was sent on a slow boat to China, but it was shipped by air. I don't think they are charging me anything for this, but I'll keep checking my credit card transactions. I did take it to a local Apple dealer, but they told me because of the small dents on the side of the case, Apple would reject it, but if I sent it in to Apple, they might replace the battery anyway. If I had known what this was going to entail, I might have bought a new one.

I hope to be writing about travels soon.

Gene
Old 04-14-2015, 10:14 PM   #48
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, now all of your personal information will be in China. I don't like that idea.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 05:04 AM   #49
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Good luck with the IPad....sounds grim.

I understand about making your home your own, just sounds exhausting.

We spend so much time in our homes, it is really important to be able to look around and see ourselves, and what we love, reflected back.

Still, R& R will be good.

Maggie
Old 04-15-2015, 05:38 AM   #50
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Bob, I wiped everything off my iPad before I sent it in and saved everything on my laptop. Of course, I suppose Apple could find out everything if they wanted to, just like Google reads all my e-mails for information to sell and the NSA know everything too. When I get it back, I can restore everything on the iPad from the laptop, ant least that's what they tell me.

Up at 5 am to get ready for today's 300 miles driving. I'd rather be asleep.

Gene
Old 04-15-2015, 06:02 AM   #51
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Pfafftown , North Carolina
When I talked to my local Apple store about replacing my iPad battery, the genius at the Genius Bar told me Apple sends back a refurbished iPad from inventory, not the customer's identical iPad. Batteries cannot be swapped at the store. All of the iPads returned for battery replacement are sent to a reprocessing center in China where the batteries are replaced, the memory is wiped clean, badly scratched external parts are replaced, diagnostics are run, and some internal parts may be replaced. The refurbished iPads are sent to a US distribution center. When you mail in your iPad for battery replacement, they send you a refurbished iPad from the distribution center stock that belonged to someone else.

Here is a link to an article describing the process and another link to Apple's description of the process. Note Apple states, "A replacement iPad will be new or equivalent to new in both performance and reliability."

iPad Replacement Article

Apple Support Statement on iPad Battery Replacement

In the case of engraving, it is performed at the China facility. If your specific iPad was being reprocessed and returned to you, there would be no need to wait for engraving. However, an engraved iPad has its back replaced with a new back since it will likely end up in the hands of someone who sent in a unit without engraving. The engraving of the refurbished unit you will receive is being performed on a different unit. That way you don't have to wait weeks for your specific unit to be reprocessed.

It is faster and ultimately less costly to process battery repairs in this manner. Plus the consumer receives a fully reconditioned unit which should perform like a new unit and hopefully last longer.

As to security of data I wouldn't worry. The memory is wiped clean and you will restore your unit from the App Store and iCloud, or your backup device, when you get it back. The technicians in the Apple facility work at a fast pace and don't have time to hack the tens of thousands of individual machines being processed daily. In addition, 99% of the iPads passing through have no information of value to a a worker who is focused on processing enough units in a day to keep a job. Anyone having the time and skills to crack passwords and steal personal data has much more lucrative targets to pursue and won't be employed as a low skill parts swapping worker at a tablet processing center. Actually, I'm more concerned about the American technician in the back room of the US Apple store copying data off my laptop hard drive when performing a local repair than an low skill parts swapper in a Chinese tablet reprocessing center capturing personal data.

Hopefully you'll be one of the lucky ones who receives a fresh new unit as your replacement.
TAC FL-55 | WBCCI 3823 - Unit 12 | AIR 48265
Florida 55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 06:37 AM   #52
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
In our town there is a repair shop called I-repair. The have same day battery replacements for all Apple products. An ipad battery replacement is $90 and warrantied for one year, iphone 4 is $50, etc..... Haven't had to do this yet but a good resource to have.
Hensley with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 08:26 AM   #53
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Thanks for the information. It pretty much conforms to what I finally learned yesterday and what I had seen on the internet. I may get a pretty new iPad, but I sure miss it and I have become one with it. I have surprised with the low quality of the people I have talked to at Apple and how little they know of the process of battery replacement. They should read up on it here. It actually is a good process that they know little about.

Looking forward to a windy time on Monarch Pass and maybe a little snow or rain. In five or so hours I will be in Pueblo to celebrate 90 years.

Gene
Old 04-15-2015, 10:16 AM   #54
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I think that so many times the people that answer the phones at help desks are call centers, and reading off scripts.

If you don't ask the right question, you can't get a good answer, and when you know more than the person answering the phone that is not a good sign.

I used to get so frustrated calling Verizon that I would go directly to technical support, who have a depth of knowledge, ability and authority the lower tier people answering the phones simply don't have.

I have the direct number for tech support, and call them when I have a problem. Works every time.

Maggie
Old 04-16-2015, 06:29 PM   #55
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Maggie,

I have talked with tech support and they are more knowledgeable, but my problem is with their billing department.

The drive yesterday was long and dry. Some wind gusts on Monarch Pass (11 or 12,000' or more), but sunny and 34˚. The travel store at the top was already open. I think in a normal year it would still be buried in snow. It is supposed to snow a foot or so through tomorrow, but temps are high enough for the road to be ok. Raining here in Pueblo, damp, cloudy, breezy, 40's. Dreary and helpful for many naps. ZZZzzzzzzz….

Gene
Old 04-22-2015, 04:38 PM   #56
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
A bit of snow in the mountains—feet in some places and one foot on Monarch Pass, but the road was clear and a bit wet. No problems. We returned home to continue working on the house and getting it ready for a get together this Sunday. Paneling has continued in the great room and one more wall is just about done. After Sunday we have a week to summerize the trailer, wash it and maybe wax it for the first time in years.

My now 90-year-old mother in law is doing fine. We went to a Mexican restaurant for birthday dinner and I told the waitress it was her birthday. After dinner they gathered the staff around here, put a gigantic sombrero on her head and smeared some ice cream and whipped cream around her mouth—I wasn't fast enough with the camera to get a photo of the mess on the face. They sang "Happy Birthday" in Spanish. She was appropriately embarrassed.

At this point I am 29 posts away from 10,000. Do I get a prize? Will Andy R. come to visit and wax the trailer (if you do Andy, we will feed you)? Will I never have to pay $20 again to be a supporting member? Will I be allowed to make fun of the mods without sanction (I do that anyway, but have gotten away with it so far)? Will I be voted narcissist of the year? I know I never will catch up with Terry who last I saw was over 14,000 unless I go to N. Car. and take his computer away, but maybe I'll outlive him and catch up around 2025.

Gene