Old 07-19-2016, 08:33 AM   #533
CLOUDSPLITTER Phone home

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
......."I will be watching the convention that starts today and am anticipating entertainment featuring twerking instead of those dry old speeches."

Gene,

Not this 'entertaining' I'll wager.
318 million people to choose from...and we.....never mind.

Bob

So when is this..."old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 09:21 AM   #534
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
No twerking yet, but blue smoke. I'm waiting for the mirrors.

Back home after an easier drive through Monticello (in Utah it is not Montichello as Jefferson's home is pronounced, but Montisello) and Moab. The narrow, curvy Utah 128 seemed normal this time. We decided to stop in Moab for lunch and even found a parking spot right by the restaurant we chose. But it was closed! Thats two restaurants closed on this trip and some strange experiences in others this season. Makes eating in the trailer the best choice, except we've been traveling to hot places this year and it gets uncomfortable to sweat through lunch. More photos later.

Gene

Old 08-02-2016, 11:27 AM   #535
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Been a crazy time lately. My father-in-law fell three times and has a hairline fracture of his pelvis. He is getting along very well, especially for a 90-year-old, but we worry. This event caused us to make a unplanned trip to Pueblo where we could help out as best we can. Not sure where all this goes. We want to have Barb's parents relocated to be closer to us, but they want to stay in their house forever and ever. I guess most people eventually go through these issues.

We aren't sure whether we can travel much anymore as we need to be ready to come to Pueblo quickly. Our latest thought for Sept. is traveling part of the river road since we can get to Pueblo in 2 or 3 days from just about any part of that road. It is really two roads, one on each side of the Mississippi, but why quibble? Since we don't know how much loner we can travel far and wide, this is problematical for us. Maybe we'll stay in Colorado and close to it, not a bad problem, but I do long for 10,000 mile trips to remote places. It sure was easier to drive 500 miles or more per day to get 'cross country five years ago.

Moving them would also be difficult and postpone any trips for a while until we established a place for them, people to back us up and all the things necessary. Our house just isn't the right one for two couples with age as an issue. And they want the temp in a house to be 80˚ and we are sweating while we sit and hide in the basement when we can. Everything about this changes daily. When my parents reached end of life time, one year I flew to Fla. seven times in 10 months—besides the expense, it was nerve wracking. I had to work too in a high intensity profession. You never can be sure of what is next and begin to feel like your life isn't your own sometimes; doing the right thing can be exhausting. Of course, we do it willingly, but have to be aware of what will come and how to protect ourselves from overdoing things.

Some more photos from our trip from Cortez to Grand Junction through Utah.

1. This giant rock sits alone in a field north of Monticello and south of Moab. Looks like a door at the base, but I think it was just a shadow. La Sal (Salt) Mountains in the background.

2. Closer to Moab, a red and yellow sandstone mesa that the area is famous for.

3. This is a tourist attraction further north. Though we have passed this many times in the last 30 years, I don't think we have ever stopped there. Someone carved out living quarters and more in the rock long ago I believe. Carving out a home in sandstone and then building on the front side was done many centuries ago by the Anasazi, so we are just continuing the tradition.

4. A canyon looking east from the road with red rocks everywhere. On the right side of the photo is the north side of Hole in the Rock. There's a place to stop along the highway there, picnic or rest. The Butch Cassidy gang hid out in another place with the same name, but it much farther west.

Gene
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	188.5 KB
ID:	268162   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	260.5 KB
ID:	268163  

Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	323.6 KB
ID:	268164   Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	254.8 KB
ID:	268165  

Old 08-02-2016, 12:02 PM   #536
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
I don't know how many "hole in the" places there are, but here is the one I believe is the Butch Cassidy one.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hole-in-the-Wall

Ken
Old 08-02-2016, 12:49 PM   #537
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Little Rock , Arkansas
So sorry to hear about your FIL. Going through something similar here. Know it isn't easy with some hard decisions. Wishing you the best.
Old 08-02-2016, 04:28 PM   #538
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Ken,

There are other "hole in the" hideouts. There is also Robber's Roost in SE Utah and Brown's Park in NW Colorado around where Dinosaur NM is now. Cassidy frequented all of them. I recall when we were exploring the Canyonlands area of Utah there was a 4wd road west of there that went to another Hole in the Rock, but I'm not sure exactly where it was. We never got there. There is also Hole in the Wall, 100 miles south of Escalante, Utah. That was a route Mormons took in the 1800's on their way to settle Bluff, Utah. There are lots of rocks with holes in them.

Judy, thanks for your thoughts. Eventually we are the really old people and I know I'll be stubborn too. You'll have to pry my cold, dead hands off the steering wheel. I am getting the sanitation company to give them (free!) a new rolling garbage can to replace the ancient one they got from the company years and years ago. The old one has handle only easy to use if you are 4' tall. And we encouraged them to get a toaster oven to make things a little easier in the kitchen. I'm getting information on senior services here including transportation options. They have done so well for so long they have seemed to be immortals, but their mortality is showing through now. Scary for me is they are not all that much older than me, so I know what's coming.

Gene
Old 08-02-2016, 05:53 PM   #539
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Road Trips

Old age is not for wimps....but beats the hell out of the alternative.

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed crewcab 4x4 Toyota Taco TV with more antennae on it
rmkrum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 04:45 PM   #540
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
We finally made a decision and will stick to it. We are going to drive part of the river road. We will drive east, probably on I-80 to the Mississippi, go north on the west side, thus being on the river side. When we get to Lake Itaska in northern Minn., we drive south on the east side. Maybe we'll make it to St. Louis, take I-70 back and maybe go further south on US 50 after a while so we can stop at my in-laws and check on them.

We only have 3 weeks, so we'll drive to the river fast and then slow down. I figured it means about 150 miles per day along the Mississippi. That's really slow for us.

Road Trips USA, a book we've used before, has a section on the river road. Looking it up for a new edition, I found that and also a different river road edition with more info. Looked it up on Amazon, they would take too long, so I checked Barnes & Noble and they had it for 1/3 the price and a newer edition. We'll have it Friday.

So I'm finally excited about a trip we are actually going to take. I am working on countertops and have to get back to gluing after it sets on a piece I just did (need that to put it through the planer). Tomorrow I sand the two pieces, coat them with Danish oil, then wait 3 short days (short means it might be between 2 and 3) for it to dry, then 6 coats of polyurethane. That last part will take 2 days, maybe 2 1/2. That will get that done before we leave and since polyurethene take 30 days to cure, it will be ready when we return. Since I got one side of the kitchen countertop, backsplash and tile done, the other sides looks pretty shabby. I'll be glad to finish this project (and then start on another).

We leave in 8 or, is it 9 days? Plenty to do. After dealing with aging in-laws issues, we figured we needed a break and found a way to fit it in. Just about everything we suggest to Barb's parents, they refuse. I guess they will hang on in their house in a possibly declining neighborhood until they can't. When they have to move it will be a desperate crazy time. I guess that happens a lot. I know they could sound kind of selfish, but they are good people. Good people, when they feel vulnerable, hunker down and you can't budge them. We've been though some of the same with my parents, so we have some experience with it. The worst part of it is packing up a parent's house when one is still alive (bad either way really) in a very short time, trying to figure out what to save and what to throw out, not having much time to sell anything, moving someone somewhere, asking them what to do when they are grieving or not in such good shape themselves. I've done it, want to forget the memory, can't. If this were 70 years ago, not only would our parents have died decades ago, but we probably would be gone too. Having to deal with this when you are also seniors sure doesn't feel like "golden years".

I sure need to drive, but first I have to glue.

Gene
Old 08-18-2016, 06:38 AM   #541
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Road Trips

The usual conundrum with the aged after a lifetime of TV and well worn paths thru the same building. Did all of that with own parents and in laws.

All river roads sound like a good call. Have done lower Mississippi and parts of lower (Texas) Rio Grande.

The DeLorme State Atlas series recommended, too.
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 01:45 PM   #542
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Between countertops and getting ready for the trip, I am somewhat overwhelmed, so instead of doing anything, I will do this. The DeLorme atlases are good, but there's so much detail, it would take us a week per state and we don't have the time. Those books, one for each state out west, are reprints of federal gov't topos. We have them for several states, but forget to use them.

Going to semi-sanitize the trailer water tank and pipes. Instead of putting in Cl bleach as is done every year in the spring, we'll put in 25% of that amount and let it sit without draining and flushing. Cl deteriorates quickly and once exposed to air or light has a life of less than a hour. It may make the water taste funny if we use the fresh water tank, but we use either bottled water for some things or boil the water out of the tap—the heat removes the Cl too. This is quicker and we have too much to do to go through the whole sanitization process. Last year we didn't resanitize in midsummer and didn't die.

We are starting to pack the trailer and will do the truck tomorrow to get those things out of the way. Tonight we gas up the truck, go to our favorite Thai restaurant and pick up the river road book that came after we went to the PO yesterday. I hope to read at least some of the book this weekend and plan out the trip as I usually do, but won't try to plan every day as I usually do because we are going to be slightly spontaneous.

Gene
Old 08-20-2016, 03:27 PM   #543

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
Between countertops and getting ready for the trip, I am somewhat overwhelmed, so instead of doing anything, I will do this. The DeLorme atlases are good, but there's so much detail, it would take us a week per state and we don't have the time. Those books, one for each state out west, are reprints of federal gov't topos. We have them for several states, but forget to use them.

Going to semi-sanitize the trailer water tank and pipes. Instead of putting in Cl bleach as is done every year in the spring, we'll put in 25% of that amount and let it sit without draining and flushing. Cl deteriorates quickly and once exposed to air or light has a life of less than a hour. It may make the water taste funny if we use the fresh water tank, but we use either bottled water for some things or boil the water out of the tap—the heat removes the Cl too. This is quicker and we have too much to do to go through the whole sanitization process. Last year we didn't resanitize in midsummer and didn't die.

We are starting to pack the trailer and will do the truck tomorrow to get those things out of the way. Tonight we gas up the truck, go to our favorite Thai restaurant and pick up the river road book that came after we went to the PO yesterday. I hope to read at least some of the book this weekend and plan out the trip as I usually do, but won't try to plan every day as I usually do because we are going to be slightly spontaneous.

Gene
If you don't consume the water, why spend the time and effort sanitizing it. Just don't run it in your mouth in the shower?

Our water at home is chlorinated, but I have never sanitized a trailers water tank. I do always drain it thoroughly after each trip.

Ken
Old 08-20-2016, 05:21 PM   #544
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Our home water is from a well and fortunately the area where the water comes from is undeveloped national forest. The water gets used when we are not in a campground with running water and we never can be sure just when that is. I do consume it via tea, but it is double filtered and boiled.

Having a wife who knows bacteria, viruses and chemistry, I am attuned to the dangers of nasty water and giardia. The chances of getting something nasty are very small, but if you do, you'll wish you had sanitized. Those dark, warm, damp tanks and water lines are just the kind of places bacteria love. It may be better to leave everything full so air can't get in to facilitate bacterial growth, but I'm not sure about that.

We drain everything after each trip, but there is always some water left and so I am more than careful. I really don't like water borne illness or food poisoning, having had it last year after we saw you. I don't recall drinking from your Airstream shower though. Perhaps one of your cats infected me? I still suspect that Thai restaurant.

I filled the tank and lines with Cl and water and will probably drain them later and flush. I hadn't wanted to do that, but remembered that Cl is not good for plastic (makes it brittle), so I'd rather flush the system once. Normally in the spring I flush it 3 times, but use more Cl. It takes forever to drain the system, so I learned to run the water pump and it drains much faster.

Have you taken any trips in your new RV?

Gene
Old 08-20-2016, 06:48 PM   #545

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
Our home water is from a well and fortunately the area where the water comes from is undeveloped national forest. The water gets used when we are not in a campground with running water and we never can be sure just when that is. I do consume it via tea, but it is double filtered and boiled.

Having a wife who knows bacteria, viruses and chemistry, I am attuned to the dangers of nasty water and giardia. The chances of getting something nasty are very small, but if you do, you'll wish you had sanitized. Those dark, warm, damp tanks and water lines are just the kind of places bacteria love. It may be better to leave everything full so air can't get in to facilitate bacterial growth, but I'm not sure about that.

We drain everything after each trip, but there is always some water left and so I am more than careful. I really don't like water borne illness or food poisoning, having had it last year after we saw you. I don't recall drinking from your Airstream shower though. Perhaps one of your cats infected me? I still suspect that Thai restaurant.

I filled the tank and lines with Cl and water and will probably drain them later and flush. I hadn't wanted to do that, but remembered that Cl is not good for plastic (makes it brittle), so I'd rather flush the system once. Normally in the spring I flush it 3 times, but use more Cl. It takes forever to drain the system, so I learned to run the water pump and it drains much faster.

Have you taken any trips in your new RV?

Gene
Keep in mind that you arrived in Canada on a ferry that went right through the very same water that the city of Victoria dumps its raw untreated sewage into. A bone of contention in this part of Washington, by the way. I hope you didn't stick your finger in the sea and then in your mouth. Further evidence could be entered to note that the 3 others who were with you survived Thai Charlie's unscathed.

Yes, we took the Moho to Grayland State Park just south of Westport WA for 4 days. It worked out great. When it was time to tour around, we just disconnected the services and toured about in the moho. It is only 24 feet long so parking was easy, even in Westport itself. We have dedicated the entire bed area over the cab to the cats. They each have their own tent up there and did great. Susan has named that area the "Cattic." It was also nice having all the facilities in one vehicle, so there was not need to move the cats back and forth. That process has drawn blood before.

Enjoy your trip. We are going to be near the Missippi in the second half of September visiting susan's family in Iowa.

Ken
Old 08-21-2016, 05:29 PM   #546
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Perhaps the offending bacteria was only on my plate, but I digress or not.

24' is a good length for a Class C. You get everything you need and a pretty good sized bathroom in the one our friends have. But the bed is kind of crammed in. Yours may be different. We discussed whether someday when traveling with a trailer got too hard for our aged bodies whether a smaller Class C would work for us. Not too enthused about hooking and unhooking to visit nearby stuff, but a toad seems like a bother too.

We now have a washed and waxed truck. While washing I discovered someone hit the left side of our front bumper messing it up. This is the kind of thing you don't notice until you stare at it while washing it. We haven't used the truck much lately, but parked it in the Lowe's lot yesterday facing the aisle, so someone could have backed into it. Otherwise it hasn't been anywhere it could be hit for a while. You couldn't hit the bumper hard enough to mash part of it without knowing it, so it is hit and run. An aftermarket bumper is only $228, so I may replace it sometime. I was going to change the antifreeze and put in a new serpentine belt, but haven't gotten to it. The new antifreeze stays home and the belt comes with. Truck is mostly loaded and countertops are on time.

We picked up the Road Trip USA book on the river road. It is an extract from the much larger book and it is very small. Seems like they just printed part of the big book in a smaller format. Convenient, but doesn't look much different than our older, heavy edition. Still convenient. I started planning (OCD time) and selecting which roads to take along the river, I found AAA maps show the river road as one road (different numbers and sides of the river at any one time), the aforesaid book has weak maps and the official river road map is so poor on detail it is hard to follow. The tried to cram road numbers, towns names and attractions all into one small area on the not too well done map. I tried to order the free map from the commission that publicizes the road, but their website was screwed up. I sent them an e-mail and they sent me the free map with an envelope and plea for a $5 "donation". This map shows roads on each side, but places to go seem to be selected by which local attractions joined the commission, not by what is cool. Hard to make sense of a lot of it. Not worth $5. There might be another river road book, but I've run out of time, so we will figure it out.

Everything seems calm right now, so we must have forgotten something. Most of our clothes have already been packed. Food is what comes on the last day or two and food is heavy.

Maybe I should plan more to keep myself confused.

Gene