Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-16-2018, 12:25 AM   #721
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
It’s not a water problem, per se. It’s a distribution problem...the water is simply available not everywhere it is needed...
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 12:55 AM   #722
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Dry in Oregon too.

Hi, Gene. In Salem this year we broke a record for days without rain. The new record is 90 days. I think the previous record was for 59 days. Now we have had four days straight with sprinkles.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 01:13 PM   #723
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
I wonder if the climate scientists are wrong and the much hotter and drier climate is here already, not in a generation or two. Everything they predicted in the early 1980's has come true, but maybe they were too conservative. When you have a well, you really get to love rain and snow.

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 03:52 PM   #724
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Floorance finally arrived here in WNY, when will the weathercasters arrive? 🙄
If they want to stand in knee deep water they can come to our beach and stand in Lake Erie, I can squirt 'em with the hose for effect. 😏

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 09-18-2018, 10:03 AM   #725
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
We have neighbors who were in the Carolinas for the past week. They managed to be in the SC Piedmont not too many miles from floods and lots and lots of rain. They got out yesterday without a problem, but some worries for the last several days. If Florence had gone 30 or 40 miles south, maybe they would be walking or swimming home.

Looking forward to seeing Jim Cantore standing in Lake Erie while Bob sprays him with a hose. I notice that Cantore stands in water without boots. Isn't that water supposed to be pretty nasty and you wouldn't want to have to touch you?

Trying to get motivated to get ready for the Sept. trip, but either we have this figured out and there's not much to do, or I am in extreme denial. Probably the latter. And because we are not going anywhere new and are seeing relatives part of the way, it kind if feels like a job. I've driven across Colorado from the western slope to Pueblo on US 50 I feel like a bus driver who is bored with his job. Along the way we'll go along Blue Mesa Reservoir on the Gunnison River. The Gunnison meets the Colorado in Grand Junction. At one time the upper Colorado R. was named the Grand River. The reservoir is 69' feet below last year's high and that was a few feet less than full. People and water users are already positioning themselves for a continued drought and water cutbacks along the Colorado River—looking for ways to get more than their share. Water allocations are based on a 1920's interstate compact that was based on wet years' precipitation. At that time few people lived in Arizona and Las Vegas. California got most of the downstream water, but today things are different. The old, old phrase "whisky is for drinking, water is for fighting" is very true in the west. The rivers are very low now—we cross the Colorado nearly every day to get into town. The long range forecast months ago was for an above average wet summer—did not happen.

Old 09-18-2018, 11:25 AM   #726
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
I've put in my application for our share of Lake Erie, will be accepting orders soon. 🧜🏻*♀️
.46c a gallon, shipping & container not included. 👍

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 09-18-2018, 02:14 PM   #727
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
I've put in my application for our share of Lake Erie, will be accepting orders soon. 🧜🏻*♀️
.46c a gallon, shipping & container not included. 👍

Bob
🇺🇸
But Bob, Amazon has free shipping.

Old 10-02-2018, 05:39 PM   #728
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Bob, don't send Lake Erie just yet, it has rained off and on since yesterday. The remnants of a Pacific hurricane have arrived with a lot of gentle, hopefully soaking, rain. It is supposed rain for several days, maybe heavily later today.

Our trip to Pueblo, Santa Fe, Alburquerque and Bluff went fine. We saw some friends and some relatives. We went to Bluff a little early instead of cutting through the middle of the Navajo res. There are few campgrounds on the res. We stayed at one in Chinle some years ago when it was free, but now it is not and has gotten bad reviews for not being clean. Another one run by a guy several miles west near Spider Woman Rock never replied to my request concerning reservations (are they needed? etc.). His website said the fastest way to get a reply was an email. After two plus weeks, no reply. So we took the short cut through Farmington from the Albuquerque area and stayed at Coral Sands campground in Bluff. We really like the Navajos, but campgrounds are scarce on a res around the size of Connecticut.

Coral Sands now has a bathroom and shower room. Little tingler being fixed and upgraded. the bathroom/shower is small and for one person or two friendly ones, and Barb said it was very nice. Business is up and the owners are succeeding in their policy of being very friendly.

We didn't do much. We found the 17 Room ruin in a very large alcove south of Bluff and across the San Juan River (no swimming, we drove around via a bridge on US 191). It was build far up, but accessible if you want to climb a steep slope. We didn't. We also found that the one supermarket in the area—this one in Blanding—was closed all day Sunday. Blending is a very conservative town and not particularly friendly to Bears Ears NM. Bluff is very different, welcomes tourists and is open for business with a number of restaurants, some pretty good. They have elected a mayor and council and incorporation is official on January 1. Everyone there has a opinion as in any small town. They are creating a new version of their community with all the arguments and happiness that goes with that. We go back in a bit more than two weeks and do some more exploring and also sitting and looking at rocks, sky, trees and the RV next door.

Old 10-02-2018, 07:03 PM   #729
diesel maniac

Airstream - Other
Tucson , AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
. We really like the Navajos, but campgrounds are scarce on a res around the size of Connecticut.
Sounds like you had a nice trip. Have you been to the ruins of Wide Ruins Trading Post? Not far from Chinle. I recommend two very good books pertaining to the area, Spin a Silver Dollar and it's sequel Paint the Wind both by Alberta Hannum. Both readily available used and easy reads, and the story is true...I promise you will have a hard time putting them down.

My Grandmother was a Presbyterian missionary at Ganado, arriving the year of the great influenza outbreak exactly one hundred years ago this winter. I never met her as she died young but in recent years I have visited her old stomping grounds at Ganado, and acquired a wealth of papers and letters from the Presbyterian Historical Society in PA. My plan, once retired, is to set up camp at Ganado some day and contribute labor & materials for some of the missions that the church does to help with repairs and upgrades to the school and hospital. The Presbyterians no longer run Ganado having turned it over to the Navajos in the 1970's and most of it is in disrepair. My grandmother's dorm is still standing though fenced off and condemned. The small stone church she took her class of boys to was moved to the back row of buildings and it's steeple was removed and placed on the new church.

In later years she was assigned to Dixon, NM and finally Chacon, NM up North of Mora. You pass the turnoff just outside Cleveland as you head toward Penasco and Sipapu. Little RV park in Cleveland where we stayed last summer for $20/night.

Can't say enough about that part of the country and can't wait to spend more time there.

Cheers,
Old 10-11-2018, 03:22 PM   #730
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Brian, know the area very well, but haven't visited much in recent years. Barb had relatives around Mora, but I don't know if any are left there—most moved to big cities long ago.

Next week we'll be on the road for the last time this year with trailer and spend ten days in Bluff again. The good news is that is has rained every day since the beginning of October. Heavy rain this morning must have brought us over 2" and that's almost a quarter of our annual average. On the year, we are still an inch below normal, but I am assured of drinking water for the foreseeable future. We have as good a well as anyone around here, but wells can die fast and there is always a bit of concern. It was so dry last spring near Bluff, the sand was well over a foot deep in places when we were trying to reach some remote areas—our FJ Cruiser made it through with great difficulty, so I just turned around and now it may be too wet, or there might be enough moisture to hold the sand together. We'll find out.

As always, I feel like we'll never get ready in time. Much too much scheduled including seeing various docs. Doctor offices are so bureaucratic and waste so much of my time, they eat up a good part of a day. Saw an orthopedist this morning about my back and he will inject some anti-inflammatories into an area to see if it reduces the pain. Wish it was before we go to Bluff, but so be it.

And congratulations to our Canadian friends. I see you will be as high as Colorado soon, even where there are no mountains.

Old 10-23-2018, 03:43 PM   #731
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
We drove through heavy rain part of the way to Bluff last Thursday. It rained heavily yesterday evening. The result, the backcountry is mud, water and saturated sand. We haven't explored anything, but so what? We are doing what we do. When we got to Bluff, we found out there was an art festival, so that was easier to attend, sort of, than go exploring the back country for ruins and rock art. Barb entered a contest and won! We now have a limited edition print by a Navajo artist. It is interesting, but not my style. Barb will surely find a place for it somewhere.

We also have had several good and somewhat unique meals at the Twin Rocks Cafe and keep meeting locals there and elsewhere. We've been here so much in the last year, they are beginning to recognize us.

Yesterday I started researching sites to explore, but predicted rain came and made driving in deep, wet sand out of the question. I heard a story about one road that had a collapse. Someone managed to drive down into a mud hole thinking his truck could go through after dropping down five feet where the collapse was. He was eventually pulled out. I do not look for that kind of problem. We've done plenty of 4wd stuff, but I never look for insane things and thus, never get stuck. Maybe by tomorrow some drying out will occur. But hanging out like a sleepy sloth has its appeal.

Early this morning, I found out what whiplash must feel like. I woke up in the middle of the night and couldn't get right back to sleep, so I went into the main part of the cabin and watched TV. I guess I dozed off, then leaned over on the dinette seat toward the floor, then the next thing I knew I heard a "thud" and opened my eyes to see I was on the floor. The thud was my head hitting the floor. Next I saw Barb standing over me thinking I had croaked. Not so lucky, she still was helpful. My head hurt, I was surprised that I was looking up from the floor because I didn't think I actually wanted to be there. The camera was knocked off the little table we use as a coffee table and the space heater was knocked over too. But I didn't tear any body parts open on any of those things, but my face hurt, my neck hurt, my arm hurt and my knee hurt where it must have banged against the dinette table leg, fortunately not knocking everything or even anything off the table. So, feeling kind of stupid, but mostly groggy, I sat up and assured Barb I was fine. I was not fine. I landed on my cheek bone and left temple. I torqued my neck. Ibuprofen arrived and I eagerly swallowed it. Proving I was fine (I was not), I got up and went to the freezer for ice and a dish rag to put it in, went back to the sofa and lay down with ice on my face and then my neck. Eventually I went back to bed and slept like the dead, glad not to be, even though my neck really hurt.

It was quite late when I woke up. My neck was stiff and hurt, but still worked like a neck, sort of. More ibuprofen, not too smart on an empty stomach. But I was intact, my face kinda hurt a bit, but I was still startingly handsome. Anticipating this, I have wondered how come when I doze off on the sofa at home I never fall over. If I did, I just would fall over on the sofa, so I waited until I was on a dinette seat that gave me the opportunity to see what it was like to fall onto the floor. I do not advise it. Maybe I can get those things they have on hospital beds to keep you in the bed.

My neck is slowly, much too slowly, loosening up and still works pretty well, mainly restricted to not turning too far in either direction. Not advised for driving, but I don't have to. Since that has never happened to me before, I expect to go another 70 or 80 years safely before I doze off and fall on my head again. I realize there are some who may think—this guy is already pushing 80 and he'll surely do this again and again. I disagree. If I were really that old I would have snapped something, broke something else and be in hospice by now. I may have a really stiff sore neck, but am otherwise indestructible. In fact, I may convince myself by this evening that I'm glad it happened and I am fine (I am not fine).

Old 10-23-2018, 05:07 PM   #732
diesel maniac

Airstream - Other
Tucson , AZ
Gene, glad you are going to be OK and thanks for another great story. We certainly got our share of rain today, the old desert is soaked and the arroyos are flowing with muddy brown water.
Wouldn't recliners or theater seats be nice? I really want them in our trailer when we finally buy one.
If you think of it can you post the name of that Navajo artist?

Thanks
Old 10-23-2018, 09:42 PM   #733
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, Gene, be careful falls by old/er people is and can be a problem. Glad to hear that you are OK. No bucket kicking yet, you're too young.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 10:15 PM   #734
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
The Navajo artist is Baje Whitethorne Sr., a member of the Reed Clan. It is called The Pass. I made a cursory attempt to find out about the painting, but did;t find anything specific about it and not much about the artist.

Recliners or theater seats have their place, but take a lot of room for one person. A sofa can seat 3 or one person lying down. Whenever we had a couple of people in the Airstream, the dinette was cramped and the "sofa" was uncomfortable. It was narrow because we had put a cabinet on the right side it to hold a microwave and printer. Barb found a three legged folding chair to sit on, or we had space issues with even four people. Our Nash has a real sofa that opens to a bed in a slide, so even with the slide extended, we have almost 5' between the sofa and the dinette. So we found this little table, actually a thing for shoe storage in a closet, and put it on a cheap Navajo rug* and thus we have a fancy miniaturized great room. Certainly an open floor plan. This gave me plenty of room to keel over, but if I had hit the table with it's metal corners with my face, I might not be so pretty, especially many miles from an ER and even further from a plastic surgeon.

So, we could replace the dinette with recliners, just like many Airstream owners have. But you sacrifice the table, and on the table are many small items we use—meds, tissues, more meds, iPad, phone, laptop, remotes for TV and DVD's and radio, hand lotion (we are in the desert), reading matter (reading matter is scattered all over, etc. We also eat there, although the space for that is limited. The "coffee" table has two levels of books, travel stuff, printouts, maps and so on. Underneath we can store some shoes. In the Airstream that stuff piled up on the "sofa" and table, but now we have more spacer more stuff, so eating space is always encroached on. Stuff makes America what it is.

It hasn't rained today, but it was cloudy all day and the ground is still damp. We tried to figure out what to do that didn't require backcountry travel tomorrow. Trouble is we have been to most of those places over the years. We have been exploring the canyon country and ruins and rock art for at least 31 years, with long breaks for Alaska and all over the US and Canada. We spent our honeymoon camped (backpacking days) down in the Maze in Canyonland's Maze District near the Harvest Scene, a famous Fremont Culture rock art panel. But we never explored this area very much although we have been all around it, so when Bears Ears NM was designated, we decided to finally come here. But we will never see some of the things because we can't hike so far anymore. We are thinking about River House ruin, but I think the road may be washed out. Moon House requires permits and at this time of year, they are very limited and we have to drive very far to get them—can't reserve over the phone or online within five days of the date. Researching this takes quite a lot of time. I end up printing a lot of pages on each ruin or rock art panel and am collecting a lot of paper.

But the air is clear and it was pretty sunny and the temps are in the 60's. A beautiful time of year in the southwest, or at least our part of it. My neck is pretty stiff and achy and my impact points on my face are sore if I touch them, but no serious bruises. I am relatively fine. We took an eight block walk and each time my foot hit the ground I felt it in my neck and lower back as well. Somewhat limiting, but best to press on and complain when anyone asks (and even if they don't). I avoid ibuprofen in favor of ignoring pain (each has side effects), but have been popping it today.

Bluff becomes an official town January 1 and the elections for council and mayor have been held. Incorporation is complicated and preparations are extensive. The effort to make a local government that reflects the real nature of the town is a challenge. This is a progressive, artsy, alternative lifestyle town, much different than the rest of the county. San Juan Co. is very, very conservative, so Bluffoons have decided to have it their way. Somewhere between 250 and 320 residents plus a number of tourist businesses, many quite successful. The original Bears Ears came right to the edge of town, but when the Monument was rolled back, it wasn't so near. Most of the town supports the original Monument, but the county and state governments ignore that. The highway goes around much of the original town, so the highway is touristy and the rest is a block away. It is kind of disorganized. I suspect the people who moved here to live independently and alternatively will have some adjustments to make to have an organized town. But they have a community center and a water system, so they have been doing some of it for a while. The town is surrounded by bluffs of red rock, but is located in a quite broad valley with the San Juan River on one side. Lots of trees in part, at the edge of the flood plain. It was settled by Mormons in the 1880's, but lots of floods drove them away and the town barely hung on for decades until it became a place for very different people to settle. Across the river is the Navajo Rez and many Navajos work in tourist businesses. Navajos are just about universally nice and friendly once they feel you are ok (they are always nice, friendliness gathers with time). With all we have done to Indians, I am amazed they are so nice.

Tomorrow will reveal itself tomorrow and something may happen.

Old 10-24-2018, 09:59 PM   #735
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
We went out for breakfast rather late and during the eating phase, Barb noticed that I suddenly had a black eye. That was around 30 hours after I tried to stand on my head. We went over to the Twin Rocks gallery (next to the restaurant) and the owners said my story wasn't as convincing as the possibility that Barb slugged me. As one is a retired lawyer, we thought of suing the RV companies for not putting restraints on the seats. Plus, I should take a photo for evidence.

Some other bruises were showing up and I felt it more this morning than the day before. Our quandary of what to do without getting stuck somewhere was solved. I felt pretty beat up and so I rested and put ice on my neck and face. Maybe tomorrow we go somewhere. It just hasn't been one of those exciting exploration trips, but it has been restful and also painful. I think my neck is loosening a little more, but it will be probably stiff again in the morning.

Despite our slothfulness, we have been walking around. We are in the Trailer District—between two RV campgrounds and a lot of single wide residential trailers, that's what it looks like. There are some houses, some quite nice, some modest. It is an eclectic town and appears zoning has not been a priority.

Old 10-25-2018, 10:28 PM   #736
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
My neck and other damage felt a bit better this morning and so we, ever so slowly, perhaps only moving an inch an hour, decided to go somewhere. The closest place we were interested in was River House ruins, abut 5 miles down a dirt road on the west side of Comb Ridge. We easily found the road, but it split left and right very quickly. There were puddles around and the ground obviously was saturated. This is a mix of sand and clay, sticky, sticky red clay. To the right was a deep wash—it was steep on each side, but nothing the FJ couldn't handle even with the mud, but the other direction looked better. In the first tenth of a mile, one crossing of the wash, not terribly muddy and wet, but concerning. Another crossing in another tenth of a mile and the same thing. I got out and looked at the tires—already that clay was building up and there was no tread to be seen. I could have let air out of the tires, but I didn't bring the compressor (it is in the truck, dumb), but was it worth it? I had 4.8 miles to go and already I have puddles all around, lots of wash crossings, mud, mud-covered tires—this was not a challenge I needed.

We decided to go north instead, returned to the highway and quickly found Comb Wash Road on the other side. We were going to try Snow Flats Rd.—there is an intersection around 2.5 miles north of the highway. No problem finding it, but in less than a half mile, a long stretch of mud. The first half was chewed up as if someone slid all over it before giving up, then the second half had three tracks through. This didn't seem the time for this—who knew what was up ahead for 22 miles. We again turned around and took the Comb Wash Rd. north, maybe also around 22 miles. This was a good hard packed sand road—at times we could get up to 40 mph. From time to time there were ruts across the road that it was advisable to slow way down for, but most anything could drive this road—except Medium to long RVs—about a mile or so from the north end at Highway 95 was a pretty deep and steep crossing. It was fine for cars, but not long vehicles.

There are lots of areas for dispersed camping and at the north end maybe about 10 sites at a primitive BLM site—no charge and there may be a port-a-potty. There are ruins nearby, but mainly rubble and one smaller wall of a one time tower. We know it is there, but hardly seems worth stopping.

So we drove north and when we saw some large rocks that had fallen from Comb Ridge, we pulled off the road. I had read that some rocks in the valley had rock art and one of this group did. They were petroglyphs—etched into rock rather than painted. They were fairly typical of this art form, but we love to discover it. That's the only place we saw rock art along there, so we must have missed some. By the time we reached 95, I noticed my neck was beginning to hurt more from the minor bouncing in an SUV.

We went east to Blanding—it was after 5 and we had started after lunch, so it was time to go home after this rather minor expedition. We did check out a turn off because a local had told me about some ruins near the highway, but I never found the overlook. We did check out the Butler Wash Rd. to the south and after a hundred to two yards, found a sign announcing dinosaur tracks in the rock. We looked and looked, but could not find them. Perhaps all the rain has covered them in mud and sand and leaves, perhaps we are not very good at finding dinosaur tracks.

We continued on to Blanding for the supermarket and got gas at the White Mesa Ute Rez. Gas was 40¢ less than in Blanding and 45¢ less than in most of Banding and all of Bluff. A couple of days before when I was in the visitor center in Blanding, a guy asked the volunteer where the best gas price was. She did not tell him about White Mesa, 12 miles south. I mentioned the price was around 30¢ less—it was more expensive a few days ago. She didn't seem to like me telling him he didn't have to buy at inflated prices in Blanding and said it wasn't that cheap. She was wrong.

Tomorrow? There has been so much rain this month the ground is saturated and because it has been fairly cloudy the past several days, the rain on the surface is just sitting there very slowly soaking in. I don't doubt I can get through a lot, but I never have liked mud for driving, especially mud with a high clay content. I have had mud two inches thick sticking to the tires in Utah in the past and it is very hard to get off the tires and causes loss of control. Traction sucks. Best for that is chains, tires with large lugs and lockers. I have lockers at least. Lowering air pressure makes it harder for mud buildup, but that is the last thing to do because it takes a while to re-pressure the tires and this mud is so sticky, chains are a much better option. I forgot the come-along too. Oh, and I'm old and not quite so adventurous as I was. And then I think of Bob Sunrus luxuriating on a European river cruise while I might be shoveling mud and slipping all over the place—makes me want to go out to dinner.

Old 11-03-2018, 11:48 AM   #737
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
A trip with issues is over and we are home. The ground simply was not drying fast, so exploring was limited. The RV park owner told me about a ruin I have never heard of and we looked for it. Either I didn't remember his directions correctly, or they weren't very good, but we never found it. My neck continued to get better and we went out to eat a few more times.

Friday I started to get some intense itching on my back with no visible cause. By Saturday night it was starting to burn a little and I know then I was getting shingles' symptoms. Though exposed to chicken pox when I was a kid, I never had any symptoms, so I threw the dice, didn't get the vaccine and lost. By Sunday, driving back was not easy as pain came in waves all around my right side. I could feel a specific pain spot in the front moving towards the end of the nerve. It got there by Monday morning and I made an appointment with a doctor. My usual one was out that day so I saw the backup. Since I had no rash or blisters, he didn't want to prescribe anything. I also had dry mouth problems from a new asthma drug, but he ignored that. I talked him into an antiviral drug—horse pills. Not a doctor I ever want to see again. The shingles has gotten no worse and seems a bit better now, but still sucks. It appears to be a lot better than most people experience and I am really glad about that. It has been difficult to get much done, but at least I am not screaming about pain, have no open wounds and after the first few nights, am sleeping well.

Some trips don't work out. This was one and so be it. We winterized the trailer last Tuesday and we've done it so many times, it can be done with shingles and pain meds galore. A few more things to take out and a cover to put on and we can forget about trailers 'til next spring. Well, every time I use the master bath toilet, there is the trailer out the window. Hard to forget it. When it's not there it looks wrong, but after a week it seems right. Then the dealer finally fixes something, and the trailer returns and seems enormous out the window, but after a week it becomes normal. Glad to know I can still adapt.

After 11 years of trailer life, this was one of the low mileage years. When we were trying to sell our Crawford house, we stayed close to home for a while. Before that, 5 and 10,000 mile trips were normal, but less so since. Driving is not as easy as it once was. But next year I am hoping we go to Vancouver Is. and see the parts we have missed and visit with friends there. First, we plan to go back to Bluff and Bears Ears NM. Sometime in the future I'd like to tour the northeast again. I sometimes feel homesick for the northeast though I am glad not to live there (humid, winters are harder—sloppy, wet, dirty snow—than here, crowded). Last time we did the northeast, it was leaf peeping time—we started in northern NY and New England at the height of the colors and then moved though mouth wins southwest following the leaves to Ky. or Tenn., then went home. That way we saw fall colors and different types because of different trees for a couple of weeks.

Time for more ibuprofen and try to do something—maybe eating lunch is a good idea.

Old 11-05-2018, 10:18 AM   #738
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Gene,

Is it too late to try the new vaccine, Shingrix?

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 09:57 PM   #739
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Pat,

It is too late and too early to try the vaccine. It is a live virus vaccine, so it may aggravate shingles and should not be taken for six months after an outbreak. The disease seems to be reversing itself—it started with major itching on my back and it is ending (hopefully) that way. Still some pain in a few places, but the itching and pain slowly lessens. It started two weeks ago this weekend. I have been pretty lucky—no rash and no blisters—and have been able to do stuff and go out. And yes, I plan to take the vaccine next spring.

Getting ready to prepare the trailer for winter. Emptying anything needing to be emptied and then put a cover over the roof. Have to empty stuff out of the truck bed too. Obviously we have not been too speedy about this. Too much news to watch and read sure takes a lot of time and energy. Remembering the early seventies and a constitutional crisis, now I get to witness another one. Too many for one lifetime. I may have mentioned this before, but I can't remember—I grew up on the same block as the current resident of the White House. I remember him as a little kid, about 5-6 years younger than me. Of all the kids I ever met, he was by far the most obnoxious little 5-year-old I ever met, so much so I vividly remember the first time I met him almost 70 years ago. This is all very strange to me. I used to play with his older brother, a kid with a very different personality. Emptying the truck bed just doesn't seem very important right now.

Old 11-08-2018, 08:11 AM   #740
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Well, glad your shingles may be easing. My dad and a cousin have both had very painful episodes and Page and I are seeking to avoid. We've both had the first shingrix and are scheduled to get the second today. Here's to it working!

Also going to winterize the rig today; no threat of immediate danger, but we're not heading out again until Feb, so might as well do it while the weather's nice.

Doesn't look like the guy's changed much, does it?

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote