Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-21-2018, 05:14 AM   #681
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

Well its not SWMBO from ROTB, must be Dr. Know.

Bob
Old 03-21-2018, 12:28 PM   #682
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
I'm too lazy to look up all those initials Bob, but you win anyway because you really need to go back to Cleveland, or just over the Skyway to downtown Baflo—your choice! Say hello to Mulligans.

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 02:20 PM   #683
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
She Who Must Be Obeyed---- Rumpole of The Bailey
Old 03-21-2018, 04:34 PM   #684
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
Humm, I thought 007 took care of

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 05:21 PM   #685
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
We finally got on the road, but it was a quick trip to the Mayo Clinic in Minnesota because a relative needed dangerous cardiovascular surgery and that was best place to get it. I have never seen a hospital like it—super clean, super well maintained, everyone was friendly (not like the Nazis that seem to like to work in health care in some places), extreme competence. Makes our local hospitals look sad.

We drove 1130 miles in two days, partly to avoid a snowstorm and partly because we had to fit this trip into busy lives. No trailer this time. Good to know we still have our driving chops though the recovery from 600+ mile days was a bit slower. 1100 miles on interstates is not fun, but it did get us there. The patient did very well and is recovering from having a lot of aorta replaced or strengthened. He had emergency surgery several months ago, but the fix was leaking because his local hospital did not have the facilities, although it did have a surgeon who knew what to do; they told him if he had been 15 minutes later, he would have died.

We found an old fashioned motel in North Platte, Neb. It was spotlessly maintained and had a lot of upgrades without destroying the charm of a 60 year old motel. The owner gave us pieces of cake, fruit, an small entree, and donuts. What a concept—instead of a soulless hotel along the interstate, you could drive right up to your room, pay the lowest rate in town and get free food! I hope more motor courts are built. It is called the Husker. The owner totally ignored Barb while Barb filled out the paperwork and paid the bill. I guess she liked me.

Time to summerize the trailer and in 10 days we make a short trip to Pueblo to see Barb's parents, then a week later we go to Bears' Ears NM, or whatever they have left of it. The feds plan to soon sell lots of mining claims in an area of ancient cultures that has only been partially explored. Some vague plans for a southwest trip including Santa Fe, Albuquerque, north rim of Grand Canyon, Navajo res., Mojave—or something like that in September/October period. Have to avoid the balloon fiesta time period because the CG prices go way up in New Mexico before, during and after. Some may be a repeat of our first longish trip with our new Airstream 11 years ago, but that was well into November and I remember one morning when it was 17˚ in Cortex, Colorado. I didn't even think of running the furnace while we drove that morning, but we and the water tank survived.

Gene

Old 04-02-2018, 11:06 PM   #686
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, WOW, you guys are busy. Right now I'm in the middle of remodeling part of my original remodel. The love seat that I built was getting hard to sit on. [and/or we are just getting older] So I re-designed it. I lowered the front seat by 1 1/2"s and made it slope to the rear by three degrees. I'm also adding another 1" of foam to the cushions. Foam arrived today. Weather person says we might get down to 33 degrees tonight. I haven't Summer-ized yet. Hopefully by next month we can take our trailer out on another random trip. I also replaced all of my interior LED bulbs with smaller but brighter ones. I decided to order LED bulbs for all of my clearance lights too. This year I set my trailer's furnace to kick on at 40 degrees. It seems to work fine and not use very much propane.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 04:22 AM   #687
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
High gang....

Hope all had a great Dyngus Day. 😂

Bob
Old 04-03-2018, 06:06 AM   #688
DMT
4 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
East Coast , Newfoundland
I had to google that. Sounds like the makings for the plot of Borat-2.
Old 04-03-2018, 07:52 AM   #689
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMT View Post
I had to google that. Sounds like the makings for the plot of Borat-2.
We had a serious Pussie Willow shortage this year, unpleasantly cold Spring. 🤪

...sorry the fourms wouldn't let me spell ***** corectly.

Bob
🇱🇷
Old 04-03-2018, 03:59 PM   #690
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
I am about to put down the steps, unlock the door and enter the trailer to start summerizing. Pre-summer begins. Our first night was to be spent in Gunnison, Colorado, but I haven’t found a campground that is open there yet. Some of them really suck anyway. Will this be our first Walmart night? Does Gunnison even have a Walmart? I’ll have to look into this more. Gunnison is in a closed valley and cold air tends to stay there, so it is cold and snowy and the season is short. There is a campground for seniors owned by what looks like a nonprofit, but reviews say the manager acts like a Nazi—not my kind of place; may not be open. Maybe the visitor people know.

Gene

Old 04-04-2018, 08:32 PM   #691
Rivet Master

2009 25' FB Classic
Scottsdale , Arizona
Yes Gunnison has a Walmart. If you have not seen the Black Canon of Colorado. It’s just off US 50 just a few miles east of Montrose There are a few RV parks west of Gunnison on US 50 that are bad bad. April in Colorado is yet winter.
Old 04-04-2018, 08:34 PM   #692
Rivet Master

2009 25' FB Classic
Scottsdale , Arizona
Walmart, Gunnison, Colorado 81230 - Walmart, 900 North Main Street, GPS: 38.55370, -106.92655
Old 04-06-2018, 02:22 PM   #693
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Bob, thanks for the info. We found a place that is not open, but will accommodate us. It may be one of the bad parks west of town. I know the ones across from Blue Mesa Res. are very long term oriented and try to get people their to buy sites through all sorts of dubious offers. Whether this one is one of them, I don't know, but it is just one night. There's one east of the reservoir but several miles west of town that opens on the 15th and we will try that on the way back. The KOA has bad reviews and is not open yet, the Tall Texan is weird, hard to maneuver, strange sites, some long term people you'd rather not know and is probably still closed. The senior one in town is still closed and has a bad manager.

All this to go to a really good Italian restaurant, something we lack in Grand Junction.

Have begun summerizing and tried to pull the breakaway switch. It would not budge. Then the part that holds the cable broke off. Since it is still warranty time, I went to the dealer and had to get testy before dealer warranty guy called the manufacturer's warranty guy and get authorization for a new switch, but instead of taking one off the shelf, it is being sent to me at home from Oregon. Can't really tow without it (probably illegal, surely unsafe). After dealing with a warranty issue last year, I met the warranty guy at the factory since we were passing by, so he knows me. He also okayed what I wanted, but I first had emailed the CEO because I wasn't getting satisfaction. The CEO sent a email to warranty guy, but mistakenly copied me. The email was insulting and seemed like mighty CEO was offended a mere customer had found him. I replied that did not appreciate his attitude and probably said more. He didn't reply that time.

As recommended by Airstream, I always have lubricated the breakaway switch with a light oil (3 in 1 or WD40 would qualify). I never had a hard time removing it. When I first got the Nash, I checked the switch. It was very hard to remove and very dry. I oiled it. I told this to dealer warranty guy and he said they never lubricate breakaway switches (I already knew that from last year). I did check one thread about lubrication and as is natural, there was disagreement. Another normal day on the Forum.

Gene

Old 04-24-2018, 01:59 PM   #694
Rivet Master

2009 25' FB Classic
Scottsdale , Arizona
Just remember this about Airstream QC department. We the buyer is their QC. If we find a problem and ask them to fix it they lose. If we don’t find a problem they win and make money. However it’s not Airstream alone I have friends with New class A bounder and have lots of problems.
Old 04-25-2018, 09:56 PM   #695
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie-Bob View Post
Just remember this about Airstream QC department. We the buyer is their QC. If we find a problem and ask them to fix it they lose. If we don’t find a problem they win and make money. However it’s not Airstream alone I have friends with New class A bounder and have lots of problems.
No doubt Airstream loses when warranty claims are made, but the problem is they don't seem to learn from it. And also yes, RV's in general don't have a great reputation for quality. Maybe someday the industry will consolidate much more and the multitude of companies with not enough money for research on quality and production will shrink. In fact, it is starting to shrink as companies like Thor and Forest River keep buying up smaller companies. It doesn't seem that has made for better quality, however.

Old 04-25-2018, 11:02 PM   #696
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
I had started on a post about travels when the computer or the Forum froze. Tried to save it, but that failed. That's annoying.

We have been in Bluff for several days and just started looking for Anasazi ruins and rock art today. Our trip to Pueblo was delayed by a windstorm and some snow, so we missed out on that wonderful Italian restaurant in Gunnison. Visit to very old family was not easy as we watch them struggle as they are now 93 and 92. Coming back, more wind, so we took a long cut adding 50 miles to avoid 80 mph gusts on Monarch Pass and stopped for the night in Gunnison. I had checked see if Garlic Mike's was open and his website said yes. We settled in at a CG and Barb called for reservations and they were closed for renovations. Seemed like a double whammy. We had arranged to meet a friend in Pueblo at a restaurant, but things got miscommunicated and he never showed up. The restaurant, La Forchetta (possibly the only fine dining restaurant in Pueblo), was realy busy, so we sat and the bar and the bartender, a real character, did his act. I felt like I was in an independent movie. Food as good too.

We had three days to get ready for our Anasazi ruins and rock art trip and thus arrived in Bluff, Utah, exhausted. On the way, the truck's check engine light came on. After getting some sleep, I crawled underneath and couldn't find anything but a mysterious rattle than seemed to come from the transmission. That was not good. So we went to this great restaurant we found in Bluff last year, but it wasn't the same. The couple who created it, sold it and though the food is similar, the character of the place had changed. We are going through a lot of disappointments so far as restaurants go.

Found a good mechanic up the road in Blanding and found it was one of the catalytic converters. They cost a lot less than they used to, but it was time to change the O2 sensors, and they cost a lot. Truck back to normal. The truck is 11 years old and has 123,000 miles—we've hardly ever spent any money on it, so it still runs well and an occasional repair is a lot less than trucks, new and used, cost now.

After a 2,300 round trip to Minnesota to be with relatives while one got his aorta rebuilt, then the trip to Pueblo, getting the trailer ready, and associated frustrations, we arrived in Bluff exhausted. After sleeping a lot, we decided to go see some ruins, but stopped at a trading post in Blanding that we had never been to. The owner and his family has long been in the trading post business all over the area, so we ended up talking to him for quite a while. He suggested we take a drive along Montezuma Creek Rd. to the Three Kiva Pueblo. That was easier than hiking and it was getting late, so we did.

The road is somewhat maintained dirt road through many miles of canyon. We're been through these canyons many times, but they are always wonderful with red and tan rocks, unusual formations and this one was very quiet. We drove well over 30 miles through this canyon. First we saw some very expensive residences built in caves with glass walls across the mouth of the caves, lots of solar (no grid here), new acres of fruit trees and grapevines, and lots of security. Security is the middle of nowhere? If they can afford the cost of making a home in caves, why not? This canyon has wide parts where people have run cattle and grown hay and may other things for a long time, but it is not easy to get to. You drive tens of miles without being able to leave the canyon. They used caves to store food in a cool place and there were lots of them along the way. The ones that had been turned into homes were only some of them.

Many miles passed by and we finally saw some Anasazi ruins. Nothing all that spectacular, but part of the fun is finding them. And every one is unique. We saw some rock art that was faded, but interesting. Some rock art seems to be found in many places, and some places have unique designs. We drove further and found Three Kivas Pueblo. This was a much older ruin. It was in the middle of canyon bottom instead of in the canyon walls. In the last century or so of the Anasazi culture they built their villages far above the bottoms for defense. One kiva had been restored and you can descend into it on a well build ladder. We declined. No flashlight and balance isn't what it used to be. We continued south and finally came to road back to Blanding. There were gas wells in the area and along the way back to Blanding. In that area the road was much better maintained. Seems to county will build and maintain good roads for oil and gas companies, but not residents. And this is not that far from Bears' Ears NM. Reducing the size of that makes it easier to lease a lot of it to oil and gas companies. I think the radical change in the size of Bears' Ears NM is tied up in court for a few years.

We drove back toward Blanding having put in maybe 60 miles on dirt roads, so the FJ cruiser is beginning to look like it has been somewhere. We made the correct turns because we ended up right next to the garage where the truck was waiting for us. We stopped and drove both vehicles back to our trailer.

The CG, Coral Sands, was just sold to the previous owner's daughter and son-in-law. They are ambitious and are fixing things up. Nice people and really go out of their way to please customers. The CG has no bathrooms, but they will be building them this year. It is all gravel except for many cottonwood trees. Wifi is quite good. Cell phones don't work well here, though I do get a signal fairly often. This is a desert and growing grass is not easy and it will not do well. Bluff is in a wide valley next to the San Juan River. Small town spread out along the highway for several miles, tourism has arrived. Lots of restaurants and lodging, some quite fancy. One family owns a lot of it and are quite aware of how to run a business. There is also a quirky old trading post (Cow Canyon) in a former gas station and the adjacent home where Barb always find jewelry she wants. A lot of people in southern Utah don't like "outsiders" and want everything to stay the same as they imagined it was long ago. Bluff has been taken over by people who look forward to outsiders, our money and even like talking to us. Blanding is quite the opposite (the mechanic was different). Lat year we stayed in Blanding and found it to have little for tourists (it is 10 times larger than Bluff) and stuck in the past for the most part. Lots of politics all over southern Utah over public lands and concerning competing cultures. Change cannot be denied, but the battle over it has gone on for generations in the west.

Tomorrow we hope to go hiking and see more ruins and rock art. Then we see how our old legs do.

Gene

Old 04-28-2018, 03:29 PM   #697
DMT
4 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
East Coast , Newfoundland
Gene - thanks for keeping the thread going. Always an enjoyable read. Maybe someday I will see these wonderful sights. Until then I’m seeing this through your writing. Great job. Enjoy the hike.

Don
Old 04-28-2018, 10:59 PM   #698
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Each of the last three days we have hiked 2 to 2 1/2 mile round trip to ruins. There is much in common to them, but having seen so many over the years we are beginning to see the differences. Some ruins were built on canyon bottoms when there was apparently little danger, but eventually the cliff dwellings were built for defensive purposes. Over time the masonry techniques improved and we see much newer rooms built on to the older ones. This occurred over a few centuries until they left for the Rio Grande Valley. We also see different metates (the rock surfaces they used to grind corn meal)—some are single stones, sometimes the a series of smooth areas to grind are in slick rock so many people can grind together and today we saw one sticking out of a wall so you could grind standing up.

A lot of stuff gets stolen. People have been looting these sites for well over a century, but now even the corn cobs (800+ years old), metates and grinding stones and potsherds are being stolen.

A lot of SE Utah and SW Colorado has hundreds, maybe thousands, of these sites with large and small settlements and variety of rock art. As we see more sites, we begin to notice the differences between them, such as the metate where you can stand up. People will innovate wherever they are, but then the innovations read far more slowly if at all. There may have been more people here 800 years ago than today.

We had explored southern Utah 25 to 30+ years ago, but never spent much time along Comb Ridge and in the Cedar Mesa area. Bears' Ears NM was created, but the present administration tried tor reduce it by 90%, possibly so they can lease it to drill for gas and oil (attempts to find gas and oil has been tried for a century here without much success) and mine uranium though there is a glut of uranium on the market. That will be tied up in court for a couple of years and I think the government will lose under terms of the Antiquities Act. The little town of Bluff seems to support the larger NM and encourage tourism, but the county government seems to be against a monument and for drilling and mining. Creating the Monument alerted people to the natural wonders and cultural history of the area and the tourists are coming and thus the tourist industry here is doing pretty well. Some restaurants have strange menus—nouvelle cuisine or something like that—that don't necessarily work well, but such innovation in Utah is unusual. For a town of about 500, there are at least 4 restaurants, 3 CG's and maybe 4 motels.

Weather has been in the 70's and low 80's and mostly clear. Some wind and clouds today, but will clear up for the weekend. Friends coming Monday (30th anniversary) for five days, then a few more and we go home. While we can't do the hiking we used to and many body parts hurt, we are still exploring as we had done in Utah many years ago.

A wonderful place to explore and do it before it gets destroyed or more stuff stolen, or the extractive industry leases a lot of it and restricts travel.

Old 05-02-2018, 04:58 PM   #699
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Our friends from Crawford arrived on Monday and we went out to dinner at Twin Rocks Trading Post, possibly the best restaurant in town. We had a very good meal for our 30th anniversary and enjoyed catching up with old friends we don't see very often. We also heard a less close friend back in Delta Co. had a bad heart attack and has bypass surgery scheduled, perhaps today. Hearing more about illness with every year.

We hiked and rock scrambled to the Wolfman Panel yesterday—this is a well known collection petroglyphs, some very well done. Some rock art is crude, but for the most part this panel is very crisp and well done. The wolfman is a small human like figure with claws, perhaps a werewolf. Unfortunately there are quite a few bullet holes in the panel. There are also some ruins nearby, some of which we could see as we hiked back to the SUV. They were quite crude, perhaps mostly adobe, and may have been done only centuries ago by the Utes or Navajo for a hunting expedition. For a 75 year old and me, 77, the rock scrambling was a bit of challenge, but we made it pretty easily. Our trophy wives did fine too, but our friends' dog did the best. Today, because there has been some rain and thunder, the possibly of gullywashers makes it questionable whether to hike through dry washes because of possible flooding. So we went to a tourist ruin on Butler Wash off Utah 95. These are located across a canyon and in pretty good shape since they are hard to get to. Tourist ruins are easily accessible, well signed and close to a paved road. We've seen them all and want to do some more wilderness style hiking tomorrow. Also stocked up at a supermarket and filled the gas tank.

Tomorrow we will go back to more difficult hiking. Looks like the clouds are blowing over, but forecast is for possible rain tonight. We've had intermittent rain since before dawn, some a bit heavy. It has been even more dry here than at home and although we prefer no rain while here, it is very welcome.

Gene

Old 05-10-2018, 11:17 AM   #700
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Back at home for 4 days. We explored more ruins and saw more rock art. Friends left a few days before us and we took it pretty easy saving more wilderness hiking for our next trip, probably in October with our friends. The DVD player failed and I have contacted the dealer for warranty replacement. They are pretty bad about timing and returning calls, just like too many RV dealers. They had installed the Dish antenna poorly and refused to fix it. Considering small claims court after warranty period runs out or getting it fixed elsewhere and sending them the bill.

Since Barb followed me with the SUV, I had someone tell me whether the Nash swayed. It didn't. It was good to have that observation because trying to figure out whether it sways by looking in the mirrors is not very accurate and would eventually drive me crazy. The dealer did not pull up enough links on the chains and I had to figure it out myself. The instructions with the hitch were poor and someone with no experience with towing would be pretty lost. Still trying to figure out the easiest way to attach the chains. Maybe I should haver stayed with Equalizer. We knew that hitch very well.

It was a great trip. We have never before stayed more than a few days in our travels as we keep moving. But this was different since we were exploring largely undeveloped public lands. Bears Ears NM was reduced by almost 90%, but with lawsuits galore, nothing much has happened as far as leasing the land for drilling and digging. The cows remain and the land cannot support much grazing. I believe the government will lose this case because statutes usually tell how to reverse a decision and there Antiquities Act does not have that necessary provision. I appears some pretty basic legal research was not done by the Interior Dep't.

There are thousands of ancient sites through the area and much has never been explored by experts to understand these cultures and what we can learn from them. One thing to learn is that they overused the area and once all the trees were cut down for building or burning, their culture was endangered by environmental degradation. With others (Navajo, Apache, maybe others) coming south looking for new places to live, there may have been wars that further stressed their cultures. A major drought made things untenable and there may have been conflict between various Anasazi groups. It got really bad as there is evidence of cannibalism at the end. This land should be protected. Oil and gas exploration in the area has never shown commercial amounts. Uranium supplies from other places more than satisfy the market and new mining is not needed. This is an area that should be left alone by extractive industry and protected. It will take a few years to sort out the lawsuits and hopefully no more of the ancient cultures will be looted, destroyed or leased to industry.

There has been persistent drought in the 4 Corners area since 2000. We live pretty close to that and it was very dry last year and even with near normal precipitation this year, the land and vegetation is very dry. It was even drier in Bluff for the past year. There as a day of showers while there—maybe the second rain this year there. I saw an article today saying the drought in the southwest since 2000 is the worst in 1,200 years, worse than the ones which the Anasazi faced. Our well is still producing lots of water, but many wells in our area are bad. We are the lucky ones, but we worry.

Other than returning to Bluff in the fall, no more trips planned. I am sure we'll come up with something. I had thought of a southwest trip from New Mexico to California, but have reconsidered and may make a shorter one to New Mexico in Sept. Have to finish remodeling rejects which have bogged down with other responsibilities and fun too.