Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-08-2016, 08:19 PM   #601
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Last photos tonight:

1. Downtown Hannibal, an especially colorful block. The main street (called Main Street) is mildly busy for about three blocks with tourist shops. I expect the season is short, mostly when children are out of school. I wonder if people still read Clemens' books as much as they used to and whether mostly people our age are those who visit here.

2. Looking upstream at Hannibal. The uninspiring bridge is I-72.

Gene
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	255.7 KB
ID:	271272   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	141.8 KB
ID:	271273  

Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 08:07 AM   #602
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
Mark Twain wrote good reading. He was probably the most famous humorist of his day--still incredibly funny in places. Worth a look if you're a reader.
mimiandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 06:33 PM   #603
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Mimi, I did read Connecticut Yankee when I really young, the Calavaras County Frog story in high school and later on a critique of the Leatherstocking Tales when I was in grad school. The last showed how Nathaniel Hawthorne made up stuff that made little sense and promoted the myths of the west; it was part of a course in western history. The critique is the only one I remember. It was quite good as well as humorous.

Today we drove along the east side down to Alton, Ill. Some places we saw the river, more often we saw corn fields and soybeans. Or, rather, plants stripped of their produce. More bushes turning yellow and red, but not much from the trees yet. More old towns, a bigger river and finally, we reached the end of our trip along the Mississippi. We took one of those bridges with the suspension cables from one central post and this bridge had two posts and two suspension sets of cables. We didn't take the road that would have taken us to the free ferry and traveled over the Illinois River on a bridge. We looked for the ferry across the Mississippi in Grafton, but never saw it. Maybe that's why it struggles to keep going—no signs telling anyone where it is. The river looked a mile wide when we left it.

Once in Missouri, we skirted St. Louis and started across the state. Three times over the Missouri River and we stopped half way across Missouri. We are in the most basic of CG's in Boonville, large pieces of gravel, self check in, no one here, full hookups, decent wifi, no cable though it says it has it, and behind a McDonalds. Not luxe by any means, but we are happily in our trailer. The clouds broke up for a while (it rained this morning) and we hope for clear skies and the cold front struggling to get to us finally arrives. Tomorrow we will make it to somewhere in central Kansas. I'll have to check whether we got any good photos later.

We have made good time and seen a lot also. We have plenty of time to get home and will spend another day with in-laws and get home a day early too. The list of repair items gets longer and longer and will keep me busy next spring.

Gene
Old 09-10-2016, 08:13 PM   #604
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Last night it rained hard at times. We were just north of the worst of the storms. In places in southern Kansas there was flooding. When we were driving west of Emporia today, many fields were flooded and all the creeks were out of their banks and very muddy. Our CG tonight is mostly a long term resort with several ponds and they are out of their banks and one road is flooded. No tornados that I have heard of—we had a memorable crossing 8 years ago from Indiana to the Colorado plains with tornados all around for more than two days.

Quite a nice place with many amenities and it is cheap for travelers (around $25). Last night at a place reminiscent of some places far north where we had primitive CG's (not primitive like a FS campsite, but like a run down CG) and it costs the same. It is Spring Lake RV Resort near Halstead Kansas. It is big and has a lot of members with trailers that never move. There's a concert by a band tonight and since the mosquitos are alive and very well after all the rain, we can hear the music from our trailer while we kill mosquitos that have snuck through gaps in screens and the screen door, or rode in on us. It is country rock and not too bad.

We drove interstates from the middle of Missouri, around Kansas City and as far as far as Emporia. Emporia is known for William Allen White, noted journalist of the first part of the 20th century. He owned the Emporia Gazette and it is still owned by the White family. With interstates, we never saw the town, but we are heading home and want to eat miles. At Emporia we switched to US 50—just down the road (750 miles) and we turn left a few times, drive 10 miles south and half a mile up and we are home. US 50 in the plains is mostly 2 lane, fairly busy and a moderately important truck route. But traffic moves fast because it is straight and pretty flat.

To us mountain folk, Kansas is something to get through and it never seems to end soon enough. I have tried to appreciate the subtle shades of green and brown and the gently rolling occasional hills, but, sad to say, I never have quite succeeded in convincing myself this is interesting. It is either drive and try to keep attentive while thinking about things complex or dumb, sometimes at the same time. As a passenger I can read on the iPad, plan how far we will get, research CG's, reading interminable reviews online, or eat more travel food (protein bars, mixed nuts, dried apricots, sometimes cheese and crackers or some surprises). But whatever, Kansas just keeps rolling by as if it is an endless giant scroll on each side of the road picturing, at this time of year, harvested fields, repeating over and over. But by tomorrow, out towards Garden City, Kansas, the dryness of what was once called the Great American Desert will be evident. Then we arrive in Colorado, drier and higher, looking into the distance for a glimpse of the Rockies.

The storms were part of a cold front which dropped temps and humidity significantly, a welcome change. The sky is blue again after days and days of thick grey clouds. Colors are bright after being tones of grey. I notice that in parts of northwest Colorado there is a freeze warning. Seems like we have gone from high summer to clouds and storms to fall much too quickly. We usually hate the A/C by now. It is noisy and we shout and try to hear (and understand) the TV over the constant wind and compressor noise. It will be good to only use the fans or nothing at all tonight. Less than 300 miles to Colorado, another 100 plus to the mountains.

Gene
Old 09-10-2016, 08:22 PM   #605
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Photos:

1, 2. The Mississippi River bridge at Alton, Ill. Lots of interesting shapes.

3. The kind of sloppy, basic CG of last night (RV Express) in Boonville, Mo. Garbage was overflowing, some trailers seemed to be parked there unattended for long period and it was a place to stay inside.

4. Tonight's extensive, well groomed grounds with many ponds and even a flooded roadway on the right.

Gene
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	178.2 KB
ID:	271413   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	206.3 KB
ID:	271414  

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	438.6 KB
ID:	271415   Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	527.2 KB
ID:	271416  

Old 09-12-2016, 10:23 AM   #606
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
A long day yesterday (350 miles) as we closed in and then got to Colorado. Evan after a day, lots of flooded fields and high water in the creeks in central Kansas. Further south there was much worse as we saw on TV. US 50 is pretty much straight and as we moved west, towns looked sad as if Kansas is becoming a poor state. We have not taken this route in some time, and only Dodge City looked more prosperous.

Anyone who watched Gunsmoke as a kid has curiosity about Dodge. When we first traveled through, maybe 15 years ago, there was a short tourist block off US 50 and not much else. Any resemblance to the TV program had to be imagined. The next time we drove through they had developed a block along the highway as a tourist attraction. I seem to remember an all day breakfast restaurant in Dodge, but couldn't find it this time (I'm always interested in breakfast—why not have the "most important meal of the day" several times?). But a lot more development to capture tourists. New restaurants and shoppers along the highway and some new sidewalks, street furniture and such. Though there really isn't anything left from the 19th century, they have improved the look of some of the town along the highway.

Parking for RV's could not be found, so we parked across the railroad tracks on a gravel lot that seemed to be the place of last resort for people looking for parking, or possibly was a lot owned by a car dealer. We tried an Italian restaurant for lunch—Bella something—and I thought the entrees and the sauces were all mass produced frozen stuff, but Barb liked it. We have not had good luck with Italian restaurants on this trip. Even though we brought enough food for months on the road, a restaurant break seems a good thing from time to time. And eating lunch in the trailer can be oppressive with high temps and (sometimes) high humidity.

After a cool day on Sat., it got hot again on Sunday and by the time we reached Garden City, Kansas, it was 97˚. Maybe it was the heat, but once again we got lost, but found our way back to US 50. But 97˚ in western Kansas with low humidity was more like 80˚ with humidity along the Mississippi. As soon as we entered Colorado, the towns looked more prosperous than we had seen in Kansas. We stopped at a KOA in La Junta—between the middle of Kansas and La Junta, there are few CG choices and most of them seemed to be pretty bad. A lot of p-laces we have stayed, a KOA was the best place to stop—not because they have lots of amenities, but because they had hookups and weren't run down, or they were just about the only thing around. They are all getting older and many look it. Once they would have received superior reviews on review websites, but now they are just average. The "big" change about them is they are offering mini-golf (their term) at some of them, but you have to pay for it. One place it was $2 per person. Maybe that's cheap for miniature golf, but it seems the era of miniature gold passed about 50 years ago.

Today we have a short day on the road and will stay at another KOA near Pueblo as we visit Barb's parents. My father-in-law seems to have quickly recovered from his fall. That's a relief. But we remain concerned about their future.

I'd better get ready to get on the road. Another hot day, but supposed to cool later. Snow in the northwest part of the state today I think and they had freezing temps a day or two ago. Crazy swings of temperature are common to Sept. The river road seems far in the past and the high desert is here. Altitude is more than 4,000' and liquids closed at low elevations want to "explode" out of their containers here.

Gene
Old 09-12-2016, 09:05 PM   #607
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
A short day driving to Pueblo to see Barb's parents. They seem to be doing very well. We've stayed at the KOA here before, though not in several years. It seems to be going downhill fast. The stairs and ramp to the office are rotting and dangerous. Our site is between long term residents and their junk. They are storing 20 or more MH's on site and it looks like a storage lot behind the jumping pillow. No one in the office can tell me where CNN has gone so I can watch news. They blame Direct TV and I guess asking their provider would be out of the question. Worst KOA ever and never again. Pueblo is not a good place to look for a CG, but we will in the future.

Good to stop for a while and looking forward to being home. Of course, it will be another busy time once we get there. Better than being stagnant.

Gene
Old 09-13-2016, 08:52 PM   #608
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Not much happened today except I solved the tv cable problem. Using cable connections we have gotten everything from nothing to clear pictures to lots of snow. This morning I took the receptacle on the wall behind the TV out of the wall and figured out which coaxial cable did what. There are a lot of them. Although some were labeled, I checked them too. I used the coax from the connection to the CG system to direct wire to the TV and all the many other connections. It gets confusing.

It seemed the problem was partially shorted coax in the wall somewhere between the wires attached to the receptacle and the connection outside. A part of that coax may have been pinched when the trailer was assembled and now after years of travel the insulation is worn and the outer wire (the ground) is touching the frame sometimes. I'm not sure how touching ground to ground matters, but it does.

I was afraid I'd have to drill a hole through the wall and attach new coax connectors inside and out and then run a wire to the back of the receptacle plate. But I wondered what would happen if I tried using the satellite connector under the table. That's the one with the jumper wire. I disconnected one end of the jumper wire and attached the TV directly to the coax connector on the left side. It worked. Then I attached it to the cable/sat. coax at the back of the receptacle plate and both TV's worked. I ran new coax under the dinette seat and it just made it to both ends. There's a hole in the wall below the plate and I threaded the work-around coax though it. Cable again!

That took 1 1/2 hours and a lot of walking back and forth to two TV's and outside. Total cost about $5 worth of coaxial cable, although I may get or make a really short piece to get it less tight.

Tomorrow we go home. 300 miles across the mountains is a long day and then we have to unload the big whale and the truck. It is supposed to snow in the central mountains, but it will be too warm to stick. Maybe. We have travelled as late as early Dec., but at that time of year we usually have gone west or south where the passes are lower or have snuck in from the south where there are no passes on one route through Cortex and Moab. Our house is at 6,900', so we hope our steep driveway is bare when it is late in the year. We have talked about finishing the river road trip, but going either in the spring or fall to avoid hot weather in the south. But before a spring trip, lots of work on the trailer is necessary to catch up.

We'll have all winter to think about it. Finishing the kitchen this year would be good, but impossible. After that, the master bath. And when we get home, there is always a lot of catch up.

Gene
Old 09-20-2016, 10:23 AM   #609
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
I didn't get around to paying for another year as a "supporting member". Maybe that's why I'm getting all the extra ads now that drive people away from websites. I'm not sure I want to pay up because some Forum friends are being harassed (PM me to find out what that means). I've got a few photos, but without being "supporting", I probably can't post them.

We've been home a week and are trying to catch up on life. Good to be home with larger bed and shower (not combined in one place) and not have to get up "early" by our standards every day.

Winterizing coming this week and waiting for Equalizer to send me a new hitch head. I found a suspension shop that will change the ball (I would need a 20' breaker bar to take it off one hitch and put in on another) and set up the hitch for $50. Considering how much effort it would take to get the trailer and truck level at our house, it is worth that to me.

I need to get some body work done on the truck—someone bashed in part of the bumper just before we left. Hit and run obviously as no one could bash that bumper without knowing it. I also have to get a dent fixed I did several years ago before I became accustomed to the width of our garage doors. The truck is over 112,000 miles and runs fine though the gas mileage seems to be dropping a bit. Something to think about. Lots of little items to fix on the trailer after nine years. I re-glued the decorative strip at the bottom of the rock guards. The strip has experienced a lot of stones and other road damage over the years and I may have too replace it. I need to clean up all the other strips at the belt line and around the trailer and see if they need replacing. I'll most likely put off most of the repairs until spring.

Gene
Old 09-20-2016, 12:53 PM   #610
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Gene we can't PM you.

I forgot but when forum support membership expires so does the extra storage room for pm's.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 01:20 PM   #611
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
I just figured that out. I'm 2,000+ PM's over the limit of 200. I deleted a bunch, but that only got me down about 200. There are people on the Forum who cannot be mentioned in a post or they get very, very upset and slap you. Friends are boycotting and maybe I will too.

Gene
Old 09-20-2016, 01:31 PM   #612
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Okay, we appreciate your posts and pictures. Hang in there.

In the scheme of life it's all good.

This forum is just a reflection of people and we've got a pretty good assortment here.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 01:02 PM   #613
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Selling Our Trailer

I haven't posted since last Sept. With our move to a county with more going on, our remodeling addiction and new adventures (three trips this year, 21 days out of 41 from late April to early June) including a week at Bears Ears NM, lots to do and certainly less time for social media. I did miss writing about our trips, but I can assure you Bears Ears is amazingly beautiful and culturally fascinating. It should be preserved as created last year and we will go back there next year for a longer exploration. There were other reasons I stopped posting as well.

We decided to simplify our life and one part of that was selling the 2008 Safari 25 SE FB and buying a trailer simpler for us to use. It will be a big white box, but well made. The Safari has been good to us and we have seen a lot of North America with it. Still tows easily, well maintained, upgraded and a well used trailer seems better than one parked most of the time—machines need exercise just like us.

We feel sad to be soon parting with our trailer, but excited about new possibilities. Not sure what those are, but we'll surely find out.

I just listed it on the Classifieds. One Forum member is interested, but the more the merrier.

We met a lot of people through the Forum and kept up with some since last September. Some we have seen in person in places from Florida to Canada. It has been good.

Gene
Old 06-25-2017, 01:15 PM   #614
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
I've missed seeing your posts, and hope you will remain with us so you can continue to tell us about your travels.

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 04:09 PM   #615
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB International
2007 19' International CCD
Steamboat Springs , Colorado
Hi Gene,
I was concerned that there had not been any posts lately. It is good to hear from you.

Lives and priorities change and I wish you the best. I have always enjoyed your stories and dialog on a variety of subjects.

Happy trails to you and Barb.
Steamy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 04:57 PM   #616
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Gene, best to you and Barb. Your writing and photos stimulated plenty of great memories. I'll miss that, and the lightning wit.

Ross
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 07:56 PM   #617
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Yes. Medicare is the bomb.

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 08:32 PM   #618
3 Rivet Member

1979 29' Ambassador
Mobile , Alabama
Gene, I have always enjoyed your road trips through the years. I will miss your ideas and opinions..but life goes on and changes are inevitable. Hope barb's parents are doing ok. The best of luck to the both of you.

Predeta
79nTOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 10:01 PM   #619
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Predeta, thanks for your kind words. Yes, life goes on and plans are made to change. We were outside watching the sunset and talking about how fast we made the decision to sell the Airstream and buy a replacement, then researched that, found a trailer that meets our present needs, are planning on some immediate changes (LT tires, it needs TV, Lifeline batteries, etc.).

I remember a friend year's ago who would say "if you need something done, ask a busy person". I guess we are proving that.

We looked at a place to temporarily store our Safari because it would be difficult to have two trailers here. That's what comes from living on the side of a hill. Found one with fair security-6' fence with barbed wire on the top. I have been in contact with 6 or 7 people interested in the Safari after 4 days listed in the classifieds, but if someone showed up tomorrow, it would take some days to get plates after we did a money transfer, so the trailer will have to move soon.

The prospect of selling the trailer and having it offsite makes it all more real. When we were having it fixed, the parking space sure looked empty. When a new trailer arrives, that will be strange and final. Then I have to install TV's, pack it, put in a drop shelf on the edge of one countertop and see if one will fit on the other side. We found some cool looking stainless steel tiles to use for a backsplash. They are light and fairly reasonable in price. Another remodeling project while the house still isn't finished. Like Pat wants to be pointed toward the road, I want to be pointed towards tools.

Gene
Old 07-02-2017, 01:35 PM   #620
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Six days after I posted an ad in the Forum Classifieds a couple from Utah came to see the Safari and signed an agreement to purchase. I thought this trailer would go fast, but a little surprised this fast. A virulent case of aluminitus sealed the deal. But a friend sold a very similar one with similar upgrades in four days last year.

The Classifieds suggest using a service similar to PayPal to transfer money, but it would have cost around $350. A bank wire is secure and once posted in the seller's account, is final and cannot be reversed. It costs me nothing and at the most banks may charge $10 or $20 to originate one. A teller's check or certified one can be faked these days and I can't trust them unless they are handed to me by an institution or company like a title company in a real estate sale. Cash is a real pain when you try to deposit $10,000 or more because you are then suspected of being a drug dealer.

We have to unravel the complexities of the buyer getting some sort of temporary plate to transport it home, an increasingly difficult process these days. We'll work out something. Some states have a temporary tag for a few days to transport a trailer, but we haven't found it yet in Utah or Colorado.

We're eager to complete the transaction, but the hole outside where the Safari has been parked for years will be strange, especially when it is filled with a Nash 24M. The sleek cool design icon will be replaced by a big white box with silly designs on the outside, but more room inside and the virtually the same square footage outside, a bed we can both walk around, a ceramic toilet, a real sofa and a dinette, two doors and the interior design is not too '50's. We found Michelin LTX Defender "extra load" tires for 15" wheels, something not available when we upgraded the tires and had to buy 16" wheels. We picked up two Samsung TV's for $400. And found some stainless steel tiles on one square foot mesh that will make a nice backsplash in the Nash kitchen for $50—it will remind us of aluminum. I have to make some fold down shelves for the kitchen (found the brackets on Home Depot's website) so we have more counter space. So, I'm already remodeling. Nash is the basic Northwood Mfg. trim line and very similar to their premium line, Arctic Fox. Four seasons insulation and thermal pane windows on this one (the windows are options). Look to be very well made, but so far as easy towing, we'll find out.

Our home project has slowed to a crawl, but the kitchen has had new butcher block countertops for a while (by the time I made the last one, I was getting pretty good at it), subway tile backsplash and wainscoting. A new gas range is a joy to cook on compared to the electric cooktop. I made 12 new drawer fronts in a simple arts and crafts style, but have been stalled since mid spring. Three short trips added up to three weeks and looking at alternative trailers have consumed our time. I now will be making maple drop down shelves for the countertop and maple plates to glue and bolt to the partition for the TV's (one on each side). This will come from the maple table I made for the Safari. The temperature extremes separated the joined boards and I removed it and reinstalled the original Formica table.

It is going to be strange traveling with a white box (27' 3" long, 8' wide). One thing will be we won't be able to spot our trailer in a campground easily. it always looked so small next to 5th wheels, but we could see it amongst the Predators, Avengers, Raptors and other beasts of the highway.

Gene