Old 03-05-2015, 11:59 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
We maybe have had a foot this season. No more than an inch or two at a time. Not all of Colorado gets a lot of snow and some years it is very dry everywhere. It can be close to 70˚ in midwinter sometimes. But we do need more so my well doesn't go dry.

Up until late fall, we had a very wet year with more snow last winter. Summer wasn't as hot, but winter has often been quite warm. Nutty weather has always followed me as I've move west all my life, but this is more than usual.

DMT, I'll keep you in mind and have for years as we keep putting off a trip to Newfoundland.

The tile feature now has cement backer board up and the joints between filled with thinset and mesh. For those not knowing what thinset is, it is mortar. It is good in wet and dry locations and best for tile on a wall. Other adhesive is sold for tile, but thinset is better. I now realize I didn't extend out the bottom board on which the tile will rest far enough—the tile surface is very uneven plus I forgot to figure in the thickness of thinset. This is an opportunity and I have a plan.

Gene

Old 03-10-2015, 03:27 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Sometimes when I'm typing suddenly the whole thing disappears and I can't get it back. I must hit some combination of keys that does that, but I never have figured out which one. Sometimes I can get it back in "history", but not usually. That is very frustrating.

The tile feature is done.

1. The wiring has been brought through and because I would be covering the drywall with cement board, I could knock lots of holes through. I figured cement board would hold the tile more securely than drywall with holes and the cement board is screwed to the studs. The whole thing is hung from the ceiling joists and I wondered if adding all this weight would be a problem, but, so far, it hasn't fallen down.

2. The top was more than 1/2" higher on the right, so I added a 1/4 board across, shimmed more and more to the right. This also made the space to be filled by the tile close to the 24" with only the last lower tile on the right having to be cut slightly at the bottom. The rest were shimmed at the bottom up to a little more than 1/4" to have them flush at the top. There wasn't a level or plumb surface, so one has to improvise.

3. Top board installed and level, decorative 1x4 at top with southwest design. It also covers the gaps between the top board and plaster.

4. Wonderboard installed. They say it is 20% lighter, but lifting it while balancing on a ladder, it sure felt heavy. After I filled gaps with thinset and mesh tape. Then I installed the electrical boxes.

More to come.

Gene
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	11.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	33.7 KB
ID:	233983   Click image for larger version

Name:	12.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	16.9 KB
ID:	233984  

Name:	13.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	29.9 KB
ID:	233985   Click image for larger version

Name:	14.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	37.2 KB
ID:	233986  

Old 03-10-2015, 03:57 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
I keep losing contact with the Forum, losing a post. This time after I uploaded the photos, and wanted preview them on the post I was writing, it went blank. Is it the Forum, me, or the ISP?

Anyway, more:

1. The tile, lamps and trim are installed. We put a small Navajo rug in the center. If I were to do it again, I'd put the lamps a little higher, but they look fine as is. We have several small rugs we found as "Navajo Pawn". Usually that means jewelry, but one trading post had rugs, very reasonably. We used this one because it added color to a grey background. The style is Chinle.

2. Detail. The trim along the bottom stands out from the board behind it about 1/8+" to accommodate the tile that was thicker in places. If I had put the bottom board behind the trim out a little further, I wouldn't had to do that, but I measured a little off. So I decided to use stainless screws and washers in front and back to give it a slight industrial look which goes with the angular pattern of the Art Deco lamps and the rug.

3. The new garage doors. They are carriage house design with fake hinges and handles. The trim is terra cotta and not rendered very well here, but I think it has a little too much pink and Barb thinks it has a little too much orange. The color in the shadow is closer to reality. We are getting used to it. The rest is a sort of cream color. This replaces green trim and a kind of off white with a green cast. So far we've painted 2 sides of the garage and there's a lot more garage and house to go.

Next, finish the bedroom, then the basement hallway. Barb will paint the stairway to the basement and then the rest of the kitchen cabinets. As it gets warmer, more exterior painting, and eventually the "great room" gets done. The tile feature was to add something new there before we do the whole thing.

Meanwhile, we thought of a third and fourth trip. We have friends who bought a 2nd home in St. George, Utah, and want us to visit in early May. Then a friend wants to meet us in Ouray. Next a trip to the Navajo resówe love going to the trading posts that remain, meeting the people (once they find out you are really interested in their culture and know something about it, they are as nice a people as you can meet, and they are funny too), and then the northwest trip. Seems like a full season.

Gene
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	15.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	233990   Click image for larger version

Name:	16.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	233991  

Name:	17.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	36.9 KB
ID:	233992  
Old 03-10-2015, 04:34 PM   #32
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Looks beautiful, Gene.......and a lot of work.

I am in awe.

Maggie
Old 03-10-2015, 06:10 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Nicely done tile. Looks very good!

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed crewcab 4x4 Toyota Taco TV with more antennae on it
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 07:34 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Thanks for the compliments. To me the hardest part was coming up with a design, figuring out how to make it fit and making the space somewhat square since it was built so sloppily. The rest then came together, although of course it was work that seems to be a little harder than it used to be. I wonder why?

Less than 2 months to travel season. In a month I have to start doing maintenance on the trailer. We haven't washed and waxed it on 2 years or more—waxing a whale is a challenge.

But I hope to set aside several days soon where we both have nothing else to do and get the rest of the bedroom done. There are so many more things to do here than there were in Crawford that we are pulled different ways.

Gene
Old 03-11-2015, 03:08 PM   #35
Rivet Master

Corona , California
I spent the last couple days putting down floor tile. 24x6" wood look porcelain tiles in a diagonal herringbone pattern. Endless cutting and fiddling to get 1/16" joints to line up right and get the edges cut in. Everything is at 45 degrees to add to the fun.

I've discovered that I must be getting a lot taller, as its a lot harder to get down to the floor and get back up again. That must be the issue, right? 😄😄😄

Old 03-12-2015, 07:51 AM   #36
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
I've seen the herringbone pattern on tiles made to look like wood and it looks nice, but I agree, it must have a lot of cutting to get it right. I always have liked diagonal flooring, but it makes for a lot of work, so I never do it. You are brave. Our entire main floor is tiled and we tiled a room in the basement last year, so flooring is done for now. There's laminate in part of the basement and it wasn't done properly, but I'm going to leave it for as long as I can.

I don't know if I'm getting taller (I wish I would—been trying to get to 6' for almost 60 years, and someday, I'll grow more, won't I?), but it sure is harder to get on the floor, much harder to get up and my knees protest each time. Makes for some interesting attempts to learn new ways to move.

Thought of a 5th trip this year—we usually take the trailer to Santa Fe. This is starting to get full of trips.

Gene
Old 03-12-2015, 08:04 PM   #37
Rivet Master

Corona , California
Keep in mind DW is the design department, and I am the engineering and construction crew, and you then know how it works around here!

She comes up with great designs, and I get the blisters, aches, pains, and bills!

Old 03-13-2015, 03:32 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Strangely enough, I'm the designer, with much help of course, and create my own misery, though Barb helps a lot as well (at construction, not misery) causing mutual exhaustion and an occasional desperate trip down into town for pizza, Asian or Mexican food.

Barb, sometimes, will ask me to do something that cannot be done, but she understands more as she helps a lot and now can see why some ideas are fantasies. We enrich either other's ideas and work it out. I know she is better at paint colors than me and is a better painter. But I see a whole redesigned room in my mind better than her. We've been figuring out how to work together for almost 29 years and we'll get it perfect by the time I'm too old to lift a hammer or power tool.

Fine Homebuilding has helped me learn techniques, understand design better and because I then have to buy the stuff, the subscription has cost me tons of money over the years. Now I let Barb see the magazine too, probably a mistake. But we've both learned a lot since our first remodel. Now when we watch HGTV we see the remodelers make a lot of mistakes and cost their clients too much money (since these are "reality" programs, they probably are far from real). Now everyone wants an open floor plan, but we were reading about that 20 years ago.

Maybe I should have been a home builder. I considered architecture school, but they wanted me to take calculus. I didn't understand that. So we are having fun, but as you've said, it hurts an aging body.

We finish the bedroom this weekend. Plaster dust, holes in walls, Romex, panels, moldings—should go fast (every remodeler has to lie to himself to get to work).

Gene
Old 03-14-2015, 01:02 AM   #39
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
"Open" floor plans . . for those with nothing ever to say. The TV chatters and so are the household occupants similarly condemned.

Fine Homebuilding I came across in the late 80's. What a magazine of ideas should be.
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 01:20 AM   #40
Rivet Master

Corona , California
Boy, you are right about that. What 'modern' open floor plan doesn't include a blasted babble box in the sight lines.

Old 03-14-2015, 01:42 AM   #41
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, nice work Gene. Our new house has an open floor plan and our old house had one too. After adding on to the old house we removed three walls to open it up. Now I just have little things to do to our house. Pretty soon, I have to do some little things to my trailer. After my experiment, I will post how it works. [if it works]

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 06:43 AM   #42
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
I also have a lot of trouble losing posts that I am working on. Not just on Airforums but with emails also. For a long post I find it is quicker for me to do it in word first and then paste it into the forum or email rather than write it several times to disappear into the ether. One of my troubles in the touch system for a mouse on the portable but have had problems on my desktop as well.